Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol - Cruise to star and produce with JJ Abrams

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol - Cruise to star and produce with JJ Abrams

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-11, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Mission Impossible 4 -- Coming 2011 -- Cruise to star and produce with JJ Abrams

Originally Posted by Artman
Bit disappointed they were not actually on location where they ended, they did an ok job recreating it...but we would've heard if Tom & company were actually in town.
That's funny. That was my only complaint about the film as someone who lives in the Northwest. They go over all over the world to film on location and Seattle is replaced once again by Vancouver B.C.

Washington state needs to work harder to get Seattle to make real appearances in films. You would think they would. If I didn't know any better, I would think most of Seattle's buildings were blue and there was a really nice massive park by the ocean.
Old 12-26-11, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Mission Impossible 4 -- Coming 2011 -- Cruise to star and produce with JJ Abrams

Perhaps because he really needed to make sure the confirmation was "true" for the codes and didn't trust his henchman to discern such truthfulness by the guy whose family was being held hostage for his "cooperation".
Old 12-26-11, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Loved this movie. Quick question:
Spoiler:
Did I miss the purpose of the magnetic suit in Mumbai? Other than descending the ventilation shaft, why was that whole thing necessary? It wasn't because the floor was pressure sensitive, because 1) the robot rolled along the floor and 2) Brandt got banged into the floor. Was there exposition I missed?
Old 12-27-11, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Saw it tonight and loved it. Im a huge fan of the series, and it did not disappoint.

Heres a short clip on the building stunt work:

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" data="http://vids.perezhilton.com/plugins/player.swf?v=24b45dbe18ece&p=vega4-without-ads-transparent-flp&autoplay=false" height="338" id="embedded_player"><param name="movie" value="http://vids.perezhilton.com/plugins/player.swf?v=24b45dbe18ece&p=vega4-without-ads-transparent-flp&autoplay=false"/><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000"/><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"/><param name="base" value="http://vids.perezhilton.com"/><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"/></object>
Old 12-27-11, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Roybq
That's funny. That was my only complaint about the film as someone who lives in the Northwest. They go over all over the world to film on location and Seattle is replaced once again by Vancouver B.C.
Actually, the foot chase scene in Mumbai was also filmed in Vancouver BC. The main cast and crew never filmed any scenes in India, and it was only the second unit that went to Mumbai.
Old 12-27-11, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Brack
So basically you're saying what's ok in one movie isn't for another because you consider one a satire and the other a realistic portrayal of spy work?

I consider True Lies and the MI series as relative equals in terms of what they're trying to accomplish. And yes, love True Lies.
I think they're totally different actually. In True Lies, the spy plot is actually totally irrelevant to the movie; it's just a mcguffin to motivate the action. The real drama is the satire of suburban family life and the spy genre. In MI:III, the spy plot is central to the movie.
Old 12-27-11, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
Loved this movie. Quick question:
Spoiler:
Did I miss the purpose of the magnetic suit in Mumbai? Other than descending the ventilation shaft, why was that whole thing necessary? It wasn't because the floor was pressure sensitive, because 1) the robot rolled along the floor and 2) Brandt got banged into the floor. Was there exposition I missed?
Spoiler:
It was the heat. They had to shut the fans off so all the metal was scalding hot. If you remember he bumped into the surroundings and burnt himself slightly.
Old 12-27-11, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

MI4 made $17 million on Monday. Damn, that is outstanding.
Old 12-27-11, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Saw this last night and had a BLAST!!! Great fun time at the movies. These days it to far few in between.
Old 12-27-11, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
No. You'll be fine.
You were correct. We both thought it was great. He wants to check out the first ones now.
Old 12-27-11, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Spoiler:
It was the heat. They had to shut the fans off so all the metal was scalding hot. If you remember he bumped into the surroundings and burnt himself slightly.
Ugh. That's dumb.
Spoiler:
So it's easier to build a flying person device than it is to build a cooled suit?
Old 12-27-11, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,203 Likes on 2,067 Posts

Ugh. That's dumb.
Spoiler:
So it's easier to build a flying person device than it is to build a cooled suit?
Spoiler:
It also killed two birds with one stone. I'm not sure how well a cooled suit would have protected Brandt from the fall through the vent shaft or landing on the razor sharp fan blades.
Old 12-27-11, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Washington state needs to work harder to get Seattle to make real appearances in films. You would think they would. If I didn't know any better, I would think most of Seattle's buildings were blue and there was a really nice massive park by the ocean.
Most shows that are 'based' in Seattle are filmed in Vancouver, that is because Canada gives tax credits etc/other benefits for filming there, while Washington just recently closed down its Hollywood portion of its business plan (Used to attract movies/tvs).

Washington has never given benefits/incentives to film/tv companies to film there.
Old 12-27-11, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Saw it last night with my wife and I loved it. I don't have a massive hard-on for Brad Bird as everybody else in this forum (I call his 2nd Pixar film Crapatouille) but he did a great job in this. Loved the cameos at the end. And those stunts were CRAZY. Tom Cruise is nuts.

Quick question, the person Ethan was talking to on the phone in Dubai was Max from the 1st movie right? I thought for sure Vanessa Redgrave was going to appear as soon as they showed her blonde henchman and the hood for Ethan.
Old 12-27-11, 11:45 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No, the guy on the phone was the guy from prison. He was calling him to get the arms dealer to Dubai.
Old 12-27-11, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ugh. That's dumb.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
It was a fairly major plot point that they didn't have the IMF home base to fall back on -- they had to rely on the limited tech they had access to in the field. There were probably hundreds of other ways they could have gotten Brandt in place, but they had to work with what they had.
Old 12-27-11, 06:18 PM
Cool New Member

shhhhhh.... people outside the NW don't need to know this

Old 12-27-11, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,017 Likes on 628 Posts

Just got back from seeing this (in a packed theater). Great fun! I still like the paranoid style of the first movie better, but this is the second best of the series, IMO.
Old 12-28-11, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by whotony
He said on Letterman that there was no harness and it took about four hours to get all the way up to that position.
Tom Cruise tends to embellish stories a lot, especially his "I do all my own stunts!" and his frequent rescuing of stranded motorists.

That being said, I saw some behind the scenes footage and he really did go on the outside of that building, which is just insane. I'm sure he was harnessed and cabled to the gills though.

Paula Patton and Simon Pegg were terrific as well. Jeremy Renner was good but just sort of there to fill things out. I'm not sure where the rumours came from of him taking over the franchise. I didn't see anything from him in this installment that would lead to that. I hope he does better in The Bourne Legacy.

Loved the movie overall. The big action set pieces in IMAX were just awesome. Philip Seymour Hoffman's villain in MI3 was better than the generic Eurotrash villain (Agent Cobalt hahaha) we got this time out though.
Old 12-28-11, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Kal-El
Quick question, the person Ethan was talking to on the phone in Dubai was Max from the 1st movie right? I thought for sure Vanessa Redgrave was going to appear as soon as they showed her blonde henchman and the hood for Ethan.
I thought so as well but he was actually contacting his jailhouse buddy. I do wonder if they originally intended Vanessa Redgrave to cameo as a go-between.
Old 12-28-11, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

The wife and i really enjoyed this. I even liked Paula "can't act but I look damn good" Patton. She really kinda stepped up her acting game...a bit. Also for some reason, probably because I haven't seen MI:III for some time, I thought Renner was already part of the series.

I thought the attempts at humor were good and they fit the film without being silly.

I can't wait for MI:5 if there is one.
Old 12-28-11, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went to the theater this morning to catch an IMAX showing of Tintin only to have it replaced by this.

I haven't been the biggest fan of this franchise. The first film was mediocre, the second film was awful and I've already erased it from my memory, and the third film was entertaining but ultimately forgettable. This might be the rare franchise that shows improvement as each sequel is released as this might've been my favorite in the series.

The Pros:
  • That set piece with Cruise climbing up the tower was intense. I usually don't cringe during films, but I was freaking out during the scenes where he was falling. Damn you IMAX!
  • The IMAX footage, for the most part, was incredible. I'm glad that Bird shot whole sequences in IMAX unlike Nolan with The Dark Knight. I hated that Nolan would awkwardly jump from 15/70 to 35mm numerous times during most of the film's set pieces.
  • I also think shooting the action scenes in IMAX helped make them more exciting than what we've seen previously in the franchise (like the bridge set piece in the last outing).
  • Most of the film runs at a brisk pace.

The Cons:
  • While I loved Pegg, nobody else in the audience was laughing.
  • The women in this film, as hot as they were, can't act.
  • When this film slows down, like the second-to-third act transition, the film slows down to an absolute crawl. I went to use the bathroom for nearly five minutes after Renner let out his "big" reveal and I came back and everyone was still on the subject of Hunt's dead wife.
  • No memorable villain like Philip Seymour Hoffman in the last film.
  • The climax is very anti-climatic which is not surprising considering the film blew most of its load during the previous action sequences.

I'm glad that the franchise is continuing not going the route of "Cruise vs. the world" like the first two films. The film is entertaining, fun and shows that Bird can direct live-action better than most directors out there. Based upon what this franchise has given us in the past, I'm surprised with the hate it's getting by some.
Old 12-28-11, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I really liked Paula Patton in this. However, Léa Seydoux was just aweful. Terrible choice to play a cold and badass assassin. But I guess when your granddad is chairman of Pathé and your great uncle is chairman and CEO of Gaumont it's easy to land film roles in big movies.
Old 12-28-11, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

I don't get how Paula Patton has gotten a reputation for being a shitty actress. I looked at her resume and she's relatively new (going back 6 years)

I've only seen her in Deja Vu and thought she was good in that (playing a victum) and I also saw her in Mirrors (pretty thankless ex-wife role)
Old 12-28-11, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
The Cons:
  • While I loved Pegg, nobody else in the audience was laughing.
    Crappy audience then because at mine, they were laughing (myself included)
  • The women in this film, as hot as they were, can't act.
    I thought Paula Patton was fine in the role and the other chick's role was so small (how many lines did she even have?), it was insignificant.
  • When this film slows down, like the second-to-third act transition, the film slows down to an absolute crawl. I went to use the bathroom for nearly five minutes after Renner let out his "big" reveal and I came back and everyone was still on the subject of Hunt's dead wife.
    I know you're not alone on this one, but I liked the scene and showing, one final time, the team dynamic. It was a clunky scene, though.
  • No memorable villain like Philip Seymour Hoffman in the last film.
    Agree there.
  • The climax is very anti-climatic which is not surprising considering the film blew most of its load during the previous action sequences.
    Kind of agree there, though I was fine with the climax as a whole.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.