Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol - Cruise to star and produce with JJ Abrams

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol - Cruise to star and produce with JJ Abrams

Old 01-08-12, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Mission Impossible 4 -- Coming 2011 -- Cruise to star and produce with JJ Abrams

Saw this yesterday

Spoiler:
I agree with the bad guy being the henchman while wearing a mask was pointless.

Also the end of the movie implies that the relations between the US & Russia are good again. The Russians thought the US bombed the Kremlin, while the Russians actually killed the Secretary of Defense(?). Are we supposed to believe the US is like "lol k whatever"?
Old 01-08-12, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Mission Impossible 4 -- Coming 2011 -- Cruise to star and produce with JJ Abrams

Saw this yesterday. Loved it! I'm not even a big Mssion Imposible fan. I like the original well enough but I don't even think I saw the other two. I may have but they were completely forgettable. I might go back and re watch them. Anyway, great action scenes and I was on the edge of my seat pretty much the whole movie. Crazy Tom didn't even annoy me like he usually does and I loved Jeremy Renner.

I guess because I hated The Hurt Locker with a passion, I wasn't a fan of Jeremy Renner at first but I've loved him in everything else I've seen him in.
Old 01-08-12, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
Yeah, when part of the face was revealed,
Spoiler:
I thought it was Josh Holloway (Sawyer from Lost) who had faked his death earlier in the movie.
When it didn't turn out to be the case, the deception seemed really pointless.

Spoiler:
But why pose as his own henchman rather than sending the henchman to the meet? He put himself at risk meeting a woman who was a known sociopath. That's why you send the help instead.

And I'm still confused by the IMF secretary's death. Was it the Russian police that offed him? Or did they just show up for the aftermath? And if they really did off the IMF secretary, how did they even suspect Hunt was there?
Spoiler:

Hunt's plan to give the actual launch codes away hinges on the fact that they can still track the middle man to the one who would use the codes. So in the moment where not only does the guy get away (and thus IMF team loses track of the codes) but now the guy that would use them already has them. I think it just to put an "oh shit" moment in the movie and ramp up the stakes for the final act.
Old 01-08-12, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You would think it would be the henchman made to look like the baddie
Old 01-08-12, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by taa455 View Post
Spoiler:

Hunt's plan to give the actual launch codes away hinges on the fact that they can still track the middle man to the one who would use the codes. So in the moment where not only does the guy get away (and thus IMF team loses track of the codes) but now the guy that would use them already has them. I think it just to put an "oh shit" moment in the movie and ramp up the stakes for the final act.
I get the cinematic reasoning. However, it's horribly contrived and an idiotic move from a guy who's supposed to be so clever. Also,
Spoiler:
it would have still been an "oh shit" moment to have Hunt fail to stop the henchman.
How it played out was just silly and poor writing.

Last edited by RocShemp; 01-09-12 at 05:43 AM.
Old 01-08-12, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But hey, at least we got a chase scene that rivals that of Point Break. But only if you give MI a head start and let them count the entire building scene as part of the chase.
Old 01-10-12, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This to me was a classic Great Trailer - Average Movie. The plot was pretty paper thin and just too many head scratching problems (although that might have been due to the rather shoddy looking crew sat near me). I really questioned the end where a nuke almost detonates in San Francisco. Doesn't the US have satellites monitoring what is entering US Airspace. Wouldn't they have launched a counter strike? No one knew the IMF team were working to stop a terrorist. The action in the movie was even pretty lame. Looks like we will have a part 5, but can't say i will be eager to see it.
Old 01-27-12, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

this just crossed $200 million in U.S. today. Did anyone honestly think it would do that kind of business before it came out?

at about $550 million worldwide.
Old 01-27-12, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Pretty amazing. It has a good blend of action and comedy and Tom Cruise is kind of a badass.
Old 01-27-12, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper View Post
this just crossed $200 million in U.S. today. Did anyone honestly think it would do that kind of business before it came out?

at about $550 million worldwide.
Pretty impressive given that Part 3 was reviewed positively and struggled a bit. I wonder if its just a matter of Cruise staying away from the crazy person spotlight for a couple years.
Old 01-30-12, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Pretty impressive given that Part 3 was reviewed positively and struggled a bit. I wonder if its just a matter of Cruise staying away from the crazy person spotlight for a couple years.
I think that's exactly what it is. I was always a big fan for the longest time, but some of his antics were even turning me off.
Old 01-30-12, 08:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper View Post

Yes.
Old 01-30-12, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by james2025a View Post
The action in the movie was even pretty lame.
This is an insane comment to me. I've seen most of the action movies that have come out in the last few years and I'm hard-pressed to think of any that had as thrilling a moment as the building scene. Even the parking garage fight was inventive and well-staged.

When there are plenty of movies with genuinely bad action scenes out there, I cannot fathom how anyone, even if you didn't like the movie itself, could think the action in MI:4 was "lame".
Old 01-30-12, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
This is an insane comment to me. I've seen most of the action movies that have come out in the last few years and I'm hard-pressed to think of any that had as thrilling a moment as the building scene. Even the parking garage fight was inventive and well-staged.

When there are plenty of movies with genuinely bad action scenes out there, I cannot fathom how anyone, even if you didn't like the movie itself, could think the action in MI:4 was "lame".
I question what exciting would look like if that were lame. I was squirming in my seat watching that building scene
Old 01-30-12, 03:31 PM
Banned

yeah...the action wasn't lame in MI4. I fucking enjoyed it. Probably would have toned down how much Ethan could take buuuuuuuut....I'm fine w/ how it was. Hopefully we get a jampacked BD.
Old 01-31-12, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry but i found it a pretty paint by the numbers action movie where the action set pieces were lackluster at best. The CGI on the Kremlin explosion was not good as well. The best action in MI4 for me was the opening prison scene which was well staged. The whole ending in the car park was just stupid and i found boring as hell. I talked with all my friends after about it and whilst i thought the movie was average they all hated the film and found it boring. I know one of the problems is that as i have seen so many movies in my life i now feel like i have seen most action set pieces a thousand times before. Its rare a find something fresh in a movie that feels new. The skyscraper sequence had been shown so many times on trailers on TV and at the movies and on talk shows that by the time i saw it in the theater the experience had been diluted. Plus he has had these gimmicky rope swinging things in each movie so far. I found the first movies sequence the best simply because there was suppossed to be a sound constraint that he had to battle against as well.
Old 01-31-12, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

^ That kind of sums up how I felt about MI3, haven't seen 4 yet.
Old 02-06-12, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This film just crossed $600 million worldwide. $205 million in the U.S.

I cannot wait for the Blu Ray. It better be loaded.
Old 04-08-12, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I enjoyed it thoroughly. Far better than the last two, and probably better than even the first.
Old 04-08-12, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yea. The end in the car garage wasn't too thrilling to me. I actually didn't know that I was watching the finale. But it was unique and ... interesting. I dunno. It reminded me of a lower-key noirish Hitchcockian climax.
Old 04-08-12, 09:13 PM

I feel like the only one that actually enjoyed the movie, just because it was fun. The story was okay, the action was great and the set pieces were breathtaking, although not completely original. It just was a fun movie. I'd definitely watch it again. In fact I'm going to buy the Blu-Ray day one.
Old 04-08-12, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wait, I love this movie. It was just kind of akward that the really exhilerating sequences happened in the first 3/4. The finale was small and tame.

Right now, I can't remember the end of #3. But with the first two, you really knew that you were watching the finale. The train, and the crazy John Woo chase. They were just constructed differently. The really big scenes in Ghost Protocol are the Kremlin and Burj hotel.

Another more recent movie with a similar structure was The Sum of All Fears. The nuclear explosion was the big sequence. And then everything from there on was built around suspense, not action.
Old 04-18-12, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally saw this. A competent action film to be sure. Tom Cruise in a typically self conscious performance that took me out of the film. I don't get all the love for this. Some nice action set pieces, but overall a de rigueur action film. Nothing I haven't seen before. Renner was very good.

3 out 5 stars.
Old 04-18-12, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I agree.

Maybe it was the hype and positive word of mouth that got me, but I expected more. Basically three action pieces with a pretty thin plot to thread them together. The prison scene was awesome. The Burj was cool but completely diluted by marketing which ruined it. The parking garage scene would have been better suited for Jason Statham in a Transporter flick. It felt out of place for Cruise and the M:I franchise.

Good but nothing worth revisiting. I am glad that they "broke" the mask machine. Probably the worst thing about the franchise.
Old 04-18-12, 08:24 AM
Banned

I really liked the parking gararge scene. very well directed and controlled. That could have gone all kinds of wrong. But it was strong and steady.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.