Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol - Cruise to star and produce with JJ Abrams

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol - Cruise to star and produce with JJ Abrams

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-09, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts
Re: Mission Impossible 4 -- Coming 2011 -- Cruise to star and produce with JJ Abrams

I think I'd actually be good with 3 being the last one. There was a sense of closure for the Ethan Hunt character, which I think was appropriate. Also, I had not seen October Road, but based on what those two did to LoM US they shouldn't be allow anywhere near a big budget Hollywood film.
Old 08-07-09, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Re: Mission Impossible 4 -- Coming 2011 -- Cruise to star and produce with JJ Abrams

Seeing 2011 in the thread title....man, time flies.

I'll look forward to this. III was great.
Old 08-07-09, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Loved III, but I agree with Superman07; I thought III was perfect closure for Ethan Hunt. Wouldn't mind a new character in the lead for IV, but still looking forward to this
Old 08-07-09, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just watched part 3 again recently and still enjoy it alot. Part of that was due to PS Hoffman, who I absolutely love. I hope they get another great bad guy for the 4th one.

They could keep churning these out using the M:I brand name and just have a different lead agent. Maybe in 4 they have Hunt mentoring someone who'll carry the franchise for later films.
Old 08-07-09, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

III was way better than I thought it could have been. As long as Abrams has his seal on this I'm game. I don't care how nutty Cruise is as a person, as an actor he is damn good and that's all I need from him.
Old 08-07-09, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Still haven't seen part 3. Cool news.
Old 08-07-09, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree about Cruise kind of having a 'desk' role/mentoring the new agent. He could have a role like that of Russell Crowe/Leonardo Dicapro terrorist movie (Forgot what it is called)
Old 08-07-09, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Doesn't Cruise partially own the film rights? In other words, Paramount can't make a MI movie without his participation/cooperation?
Old 08-07-09, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I just watched part 3 again recently and still enjoy it alot. Part of that was due to PS Hoffman, who I absolutely love. I hope they get another great bad guy for the 4th one.

They could keep churning these out using the M:I brand name and just have a different lead agent. Maybe in 4 they have Hunt mentoring someone who'll carry the franchise for later films.
Perhaps he could have a long lost son or something, who doesn't realize that his father is an agent. It worked for Indy! Er... well... maybe not.

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
I agree about Cruise kind of having a 'desk' role/mentoring the new agent. He could have a role like that of Russell Crowe/Leonardo Dicapro terrorist movie (Forgot what it is called)
Which is kind of funny since that's what he's supposed to be doing at the start of M:I 3, isn't it?
Old 08-07-09, 05:23 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 909 Likes on 769 Posts
Re: Mission Impossible 4 --> J.J. Abrams confirms new one.

here it is.
Old 08-08-09, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Here what is?
Old 08-08-09, 01:47 PM

Wow, I'm suprised by all the love for MI and Tom Cruise. Glad to know I'm not the only one who still enjoys Tom Cruise flicks. Other forums I post at despise the dude and I get bashed for saying that I still like his films. The first MI was definitely an awesome movie that I watch probably at least once a month, for some reason I can't stop watching it. I had no hope for MI: III but man they suprised me. I should of known better with Phillip Seymour Hoffman in it.
Old 08-08-09, 03:16 PM

Received 807 Likes on 524 Posts

Maybe we'll find out what the "Rabbit's Foot" was.
Old 10-09-09, 01:30 PM

http://www.collider.com/2009/10/08/j...le-4-and-more/

little interview with J.J. regarding some info. with M:i:IV

Any thought of Leonard Nimoy reprising the role of Paris in Mission: Impossible 4? Can you rule that out?

J.J.: How cool would that be? I just got a call that Peter Graves is in great shape, which would be a very bizarre bend in the space-time continuum, for obvious reasons. I almost feel like you could make him serious again and bringing him back. Whether it’s Nimoy, who I have an incredible affinity for, or Graves, or anyone, we’ll see. I actually tried to get Martin Landau in Mission 3, in a very small little moment just for fun, and was told that he had no interest in doing it. But then, when I met him, after the movie came out, it was the greatest thing. We were at this restaurant in New York, for one of the TV Upfront parties, and someone introduced me to Landau. They took me over and Martin Landau came over to me, extended his hand, and [pretended to lift his face off]. That was the greatest thing I’d ever seen.

With everything you have going on, for the next couple months, what will you be focusing on mostly?

J.J.: Jeff Pinkner and Joel Wyman are running Fringe very well. We’re still very involved in that, but they’re running that. We have a new series, that we just sold to NBC, that we’re going to be producing. It’s a pilot. And, there’s a movie that I’m writing that I would love to direct, early next year, so we’ll see if that comes to fruition. There’s a movie, called Morning Glory, that’s coming out next year, with Harrison Ford, Rachel McAdams and Diane Keaton, that’s being edited now. Roger Michell directed that. And, we’re obviously hard at work on Star Trek 2 and Mission: Impossible 4. There’s a lot that we’re working on.
Old 10-09-09, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I would love Peter Graves to show up if only so they could take a page from the Smallville handbook and say that Jon Voight was really Henry James Phelps.
Old 10-09-09, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

^ I too would love that. Count me in for this one. I liked all three of the movies, despite their flaws. I also think it's a shame so many people (in the U.S. anyway) let Tom Cruise's public persona affect whether or not they wanted to see the movie. Plot wise it was the strongest of the series IMO, and it also was the only one where I felt like I was watching a Mission:Impossible movie as opposed to a Tom Cruise movie with Mission:Impossible as its title.
Old 10-09-09, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I don't get the love for M:I:III. Too many of the action sequences are rehashes of scenes we've seen before. The worst offense is the rescue of the captured villian on a bridge (Licence to Kill) cutting directly to the hero unsuccessfully calling his doctor wife while driving frantically to the hospital where she works (Patriot Games and The Sum of All Fears) . It doesn't help that those two sequences are back-to-back, in the middle of the film. Just as a story is supposed to have its audience's rapt attention is not the time for the audience to reflect, "I've seen this" and "I've seen this, too."
Old 10-09-09, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
it also was the only one where I felt like I was watching a Mission:Impossible movie as opposed to a Tom Cruise movie with Mission:Impossible as its title.
I know what you mean. Although I loved the first, the best moments were with the initial team and when Ethan Hunt put together his disavowed team.

In M:i-III, although Tom Cruise was still clearly the star, it felt like a group effort rather than just a Tom Cruise movie. The team was much better integrated in the third movie.
Old 02-09-10, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Thought I would bump this since Cruise officially signed on today to play Ethan Hunt in the sequel. He and JJ Abrams are still producing, but no Director has been signed yet.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...ecfdc6603a1d6d

Apparently, nothing's impossible.

Tom Cruise has committed to reprise his role as Ethan Hunt in the next installment of the "Mission: Impossible" series at Paramount. The action tentpole, which is being co-financed by David Ellison's Skydance Prods., is now slotted for release on Memorial Day weekend 2011.

The reunion between Cruise and the studio once looked unlikely after Cruise's production deal there was cut loose in 2006, the year "Mission: Impossible III" was released. But both parties have recognized the promise in continuing a franchise that has grossed $1.4 billion worldwide.

Cruise has been on board to produce the fourquel with "M:I3" director J.J. Abrams since June. They have handed off an original idea to screenwriters Josh Applebaum and Andre Nemec, who wrote for Abrams' spy series "Alias."

The studio and producers are now out to directors, as Abrams has not signed on to helm the followup.
Old 02-09-10, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

I might have said this before, but I found M:I-3 to be the first of the series that actually felt like one of the originals. One thing I didn't care for about the first two was how they tried to keep it evident they were Tom Cruise movies first and foremost. The first one started like a traditional, but quickly turned. Part III had a lot of emphasis on Hunt's team, and I feel that the only reason it didn't do that well state side was because of the perception of Tom Cruise by the public.

Here's hoping they can truly revitalize the series. Oh, and they better bring back Simon Pegg!
Old 02-09-10, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love parts 1 and 3, so I'm all for more.
Old 02-09-10, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hopefully Abrams won't waste his time directing this follow-up. Been there, done that. I like Abrams as a director and the 3rd film was serviceable, but I'd prefer he focus his energy on the Star Trek follow-up and other projects. That's just me though.
Old 02-09-10, 09:39 PM

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...ecfdc6603a1d6d

Tom Cruise has committed to reprise his role as Ethan Hunt in the next installment of the "Mission: Impossible" series at Paramount. The action tentpole, which is being co-financed by David Ellison's Skydance Prods., is now slotted for release on Memorial Day weekend 2011.

The reunion between Cruise and the studio once looked unlikely after Cruise's production deal there was cut loose in 2006, the year "Mission: Impossible III" was released. But both parties have recognized the promise in continuing a franchise that has grossed $1.4 billion worldwide.

Cruise has been on board to produce the fourquel with "M:I3" director J.J. Abrams since June. They have handed off an original idea to screenwriters Josh Applebaum and Andre Nemec, who wrote for Abrams' spy series "Alias."

The studio and producers are now out to directors, as Abrams has not signed on to helm the followup.

With the "Mission" greenlight, Paramount has re-upped another franchise to join forthcoming sequels to 2009 hits "G.I. Joe," "Transformers" (July 2011) and "Star Trek" (June 2012), plus new franchise "The Adventures of Tintin" (Christmas 2011).

Paramount has released Cruise vehicles "Top Gun," "Days of Thunder," "The Firm," "War of the Worlds," "Vanilla Sky" and "Tropic Thunder," which featured the star in a rare secondary comedic role.

Since toplining "Valkyrie" two years ago, the CAA-repped Cruise next stars in the Fox action-comedy "Knight and Day," hitting theaters Fourth of July weekend. Tom Cruise set for fourth 'Mission'Reteaming with Paramount, director J.J. AbramsBy Jay A. Fernandez
Feb 9, 2010, 07:03 PM ET

With the "Mission" greenlight, Paramount has re-upped another franchise to join forthcoming sequels to 2009 hits "G.I. Joe," "Transformers" (July 2011) and "Star Trek" (June 2012), plus new franchise "The Adventures of Tintin" (Christmas 2011).

Paramount has released Cruise vehicles "Top Gun," "Days of Thunder," "The Firm," "War of the Worlds," "Vanilla Sky" and "Tropic Thunder," which featured the star in a rare secondary comedic role.

Since toplining "Valkyrie" two years ago, the CAA-repped Cruise next stars in the Fox action-comedy "Knight and Day," hitting theaters Fourth of July weekend.
Old 02-09-10, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

III was the best of the series...it actually showed the IMF "Team"...looking forward to this...
Old 02-09-10, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I hope the team from part 3 return with the same dynamic. I love how well integrated the IMF team was in the last movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.