Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Black Swan (Aronofsky, 2010): Natalie Portman

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Black Swan (Aronofsky, 2010): Natalie Portman

Old 12-18-10, 06:46 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Black Swan (Aronofsky, 2010): Natalie Portman in supernatural thriller

What about those of us who like great movies like Black Swan and fun action movies like Predators? Huh? What about us?!
Old 12-18-10, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

You're too easily pleased, go find a better action movie, can't be hard to beat that snooze fest
Old 12-18-10, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 187 Posts

There was a group of middle-aged women a few rows behind me who I'm sure were expecting more of a "Chick Flick". Listening to their shocked and disgusted reactions during the film was almost as entertaining as the film itself. At the end of the film the women walked out trying to decide which one of them should be blamed for choosing to see "Black Swan".
Old 12-18-10, 07:33 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
What about those of us who like great movies like Black Swan and fun action movies like Predators? Huh? What about us?!
Exactly, right?!

Originally Posted by RichC2
You're too easily pleased, go find a better action movie, can't be hard to beat that snooze fest
Just cuz we're entertained by it doesn't mean we don't know of it's lesser quality to the fucking greatest action film or at least one of the greatest action flicks out there. I'd take Predator over Die Hard any day.
Old 12-18-10, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is the dumbest thing I've ever read.
Old 12-19-10, 03:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw this tonight finally with some friends and we were all blown away. It's probably my new favorite movie of the year quite honestly. As everyone else has already said the cast was terrific. The movie genuinely creeped me out in several scenes too, which is more than I can say for any of the "horror" films that have been coming out. Aronofsky is 5 for 5 in my book. Now I must expose more of my friends to it.
Old 12-19-10, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Saw it and liked it a lot.
Old 12-19-10, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

If I hadn't already known going in that the director was Darren Aranofsky and I had to guess based on seeing the movie, I would have thought David Cronenberg. This movie really had a lot of the traits of his earlier work, especially the whole theme of
Spoiler:
transmorgification (sp?) , even though she only did it physically in a metaphorical sense.

Also, I recall the director saying that this was meant as a companion piece of The Wreslter. Stylistically it was a lot like that movie with all of the hand held camera work and documentary look. I was lead to wonder by the ending of this if we can assume
Spoiler:
Randy the Ram died after making his jump? I found it interesting that both movies ended with two people striving for perfection with their "art" having conditions in which they should not be performing, but are determined to give it their all regardless. Furthermore, the last action of both is jumping/falling off of an elevation.

I have not seen the Kids Are Alright, and Benning might be brilliant, but right now I hope Portman gets it. I just don't want the case of a stupid lifetime achievement award being handed out over a performance that is truly great.
Old 12-19-10, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Great film! Can we nominate Mila eating out Natalie as scene of the year?
well we also have Amanda Sefried finger fucking Julliane Moore in Chloe to think about too :wink:
Old 12-19-10, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It'll be an MTV Award category I'm sure:

Best Girl on Girl
Elena Anaya, Natasha Yarovenko for re-enacting that old Tatu poster, nude, in Room in Rome.
Mila Kunis, Natalie Portman for munch out in Black Swan
Amanda Seyfried, Julianne Moore for finger fucking in Chloe
Old 12-20-10, 11:54 AM
Li

I saw this last night and really liked it. I can see why some people are calling it campy, but I still found it really entertaining. The ending didn't make a hell of a lot of sense, but that's alright, most of the movie was like that.

I'm kind of glad Portman wasn't cast for The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Maybe she can play a character that is supposed to be brilliant, but I'm not so sure.
Old 12-20-10, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quite good, Really liked the story. Well acted by all, good editing. Quite beautiful. Also seen the first trailer for Tree of Life before it, and I must say quite a beautiful trailer.

As I walked out someone said
Spoiler:
So what happened to Natalie Portman? HAHAHA I didn't find it hard to follow, so I don't know how someone could have been so lost but thought that was funny.
Old 12-21-10, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I liked it. This was a good combo of Aronofsky's Requiem and Wrestler.

There was definitely a risk of running into high camp with this one and somehow Aronofsky avoids it by just going full steam ahead (who knows how it will age, but for now, it works). The only part that really took me out of it was
Spoiler:
the weird CG for her turning into the black swan near the end. It seemed overkill in what had otherwise used somewhat old school effects.
otherwise it was one of the better "obsession" based movies I've seen.

Last edited by RichC2; 12-21-10 at 07:49 AM.
Old 12-21-10, 11:51 AM
Cool New Member

saw this last night, not what i expected, but it kept my heart pumping throughout the movie. It's a great psychological thriller.

I've never been so sure of it, and but I'm willing to bet my life savings that Natalie Portman will win a leading actress Oscar for this role. I'm so sure of it, anyone nominated in the same category as Natalie will lose... sorry but her performance was THAT good....
Old 12-21-10, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just got back from seeing this film. I have to say I was not expecting it to have so many horror elements in it. I still don't know what to think of it yet. I'm letting it sink in.

Also, I'm kinda surprised I haven't read anyone compare it to The Red Shoes. Once I saw the comparisons early on, I was able to predict how the rest of the film would play out.

Originally Posted by RichC2
The only part that really took me out of it was
Spoiler:
the weird CG for her turning into the black swan near the end. It seemed overkill in what had otherwise used somewhat old school effects.
otherwise it was one of the better "obsession" based movies I've seen.
I agree. It just looked poor.
Old 12-21-10, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by sye46
I've never been so sure of it, and but I'm willing to bet my life savings that Natalie Portman will win a leading actress Oscar for this role. I'm so sure of it, anyone nominated in the same category as Natalie will lose... sorry but her performance was THAT good....

I'll take fifty cents of that. Chances are she will be competing against Annete Benning, who is long overdue for a lifetime achievement award.
Old 12-21-10, 08:48 PM

This is surely my pick for 2010. I was absolutely floored and sucked in from the dazzling, almost gothic opening. I watched this movie with clenched fists the whole time, it was a very tense and at times, gruesome. Everyone in the cast was phenomenal, Portman, Kunis, Cassel, Ryder, all of them were in peak form and only added to experience. It was so much of a mind fuck that by the end of it I came up with many contradicting theories that kind of drove me mad.

Natalie Portman is a fine, fine actress, and has quickly become my favorite today. Powerful stuff, I can't wait to buy this film and watch it over and over when it comes out.
Old 12-21-10, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I really hope the fact that the "big scene" has hit the net, doesn't harm its box office potential
Old 12-21-10, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
I really hope the fact that the "big scene" has hit the net, doesn't harm its box office potential
unfortunately the whole flick has hit the net.
Old 12-21-10, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
unfortunately the whole flick has hit the net.
Well thats unfortunatly what happens when studios make dvd screeners for awards season
Old 12-21-10, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Well thats unfortunatly what happens when studios make dvd screeners for awards season
Shouldn't the people that vote on theatrical film awards ya know... see the film in theaters when possible?

Never understood why they did screener DVDs of films that are widely available in theaters.
Old 12-21-10, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Never understood why they did screener DVDs of films that are widely available in theaters.
Convenience, I assume.
Old 12-21-10, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

looks like as of tomorrow, its expanding again to about 1400 theaters (up from 959) Lets hope this is the "little indie that could" at the BO and end up making in the high double digits when its all said and done
Old 12-21-10, 09:55 PM

Well, considering that the movie is "out there" on the net, I'm pretty sure a lot of people who planned to watch in the theater, will now watch it sitting on their couches in front of the their TV's.
Old 12-21-10, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by poisonrulz
Well, considering that the movie is "out there" on the net, I'm pretty sure a lot of people who planned to watch in the theater, will now watch it sitting on their couches in front of the their TV's.
I doubt there are that many people that download these films. Sure, there are some, but I don't think it's as widespread as some people think.

I am always stunned that people can watch all of these Oscar-caliber films from a perfect DVD rip of the screener that's sent to critics.

Make the critics attend a screening.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.