Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

'Lord of the Rings: Two Towers' w/ live orchestra + chorus, Wolf Trap Aug. 28-29

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

'Lord of the Rings: Two Towers' w/ live orchestra + chorus, Wolf Trap Aug. 28-29

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-09, 01:38 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

The Lord of the Rings The Two Towers: Live Orchestra, Chorus, and Soloists

"The critically acclaimed second installment of the box office smash trilogy! Watch Frodo’s quest to save Middle-earth on huge HD screens accompanied live by symphony orchestra, chorus, and soloists performing Howard Shore's gripping musical score."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

'Felllowship of the Rings' was geat, here's the second film/performance!
Old 06-04-09, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: 'Lord of the Rings: Two Towers' w/ live orchestra + chorus, Wolf Trap Aug. 28-29

Two threads for such a similar topic? I assume there is a third thread for Return of the King incoming.
Old 06-04-09, 02:37 PM

Re: 'Lord of the Rings: Two Towers' w/ live orchestra + chorus, Wolf Trap Aug. 28-29

I just wanted to make the distinction that it's two seperate films of the trilogy and two different locations.

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Two threads for such a similar topic? I assume there is a third thread for Return of the King incoming.

that'll happen next summer at Wolf Trap, since it's the US Premier of Two Tower's, I'm sure the world premier of the orchestral accompaniment for 'Return of the King' will happen sometime in 2009, well actually no I'm wrong, the World Premier of 'The Return of the King' with full orchestra and chorus is set for Munich, Germany: March 26 - 28, 2010

Last edited by Giles; 06-04-09 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-05-09, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Join us at the park an hour before Friday and Saturday's show for a free Pre-Performance Discussion with Deb Lamberton, Senior Producer at Classical WETA 90.9 FM.
Wow, what a coincidence.
Old 06-07-09, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Sounds cool!
Old 09-02-09, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw this on Saturday, was pretty cool. The HD footage looked stunning, can't wait for the extended version on Blu. The orchestra was dragging a bit during the fight with the Balrog, so that was all out of sync. Annoying, but the rest of it seemed to flow pretty well. I'll probably catch Return of the King next year.
Old 09-02-09, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
Saw this on Saturday, was pretty cool. The HD footage looked stunning, can't wait for the extended version on Blu. The orchestra was dragging a bit during the fight with the Balrog, so that was all out of sync. Annoying, but the rest of it seemed to flow pretty well. I'll probably catch Return of the King next year.

really? I didn't notice that - I was there on Saturday as well. It shouldn't have been out of sync, since the conductor had his own monitor right in front of him. The music though during the Balrog scene was downright amazing - the way the music with orchestra and chorus swelled to such extremes had the hair on my neck stand straight up Were you in-house or on the lawn? The thunder and lightning added to some of the scenes in the actual movie.
Old 09-02-09, 12:41 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Darn. Forgot to set my calendar and forgot all about this. Love Wolftrap, will try to make the next one.
Old 09-02-09, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Darn. Forgot to set my calendar and forgot all about this. Love Wolftrap, will try to make the next one.
yeah, sorry, that was partially my fault since I started this thread and didn't bump it in time - there were alot of seats in the upper orchestra that were open.
Old 09-02-09, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
really? I didn't notice that - I was there on Saturday as well. It shouldn't have been out of sync, since the conductor had his own monitor right in front of him. The music though during the Balrog scene was downright amazing - the way the music with orchestra and chorus swelled to such extremes had the hair on my neck stand straight up Were you in-house or on the lawn? The thunder and lightning added to some of the scenes in the actual movie.
I was in-house, hope you didn't get rained on too badly. The orchestra and choir sounded great. I'm surprised you didn't notice the sync issue. It just felt a bit off while they were falling. Then there's the really far shot of the underground lake where you can see this fiery ball descend slowly. At this point, it should've just been the choir singing a specific portion, but they were still playing the "falling music." Then they hit the water and they were still behind, finishing the whole thing up while Frodo and Sam were talking.

Like I said, all in all, they did an awesome job, and I'm just being picky. Everything else sync-wise was pretty much spot on. It is more of a concert event anyway, so if it doesn't perfectly line up with the movie, no big deal.
Old 09-02-09, 01:36 PM

I was in-house, hope you didn't get rained on too badly. The orchestra and choir sounded great. I'm surprised you didn't notice the sync issue. It just felt a bit off while they were falling. Then there's the really far shot of the underground lake where you can see this fiery ball descend slowly. At this point, it should've just been the choir singing a specific portion, but they were still playing the "falling music." Then they hit the water and they were still behind, finishing the whole thing up while Frodo and Sam were talking.

Like I said, all in all, they did an awesome job, and I'm just being picky. Everything else sync-wise was pretty much spot on. It is more of a concert event anyway, so if it doesn't perfectly line up with the movie, no big deal.
but it was supposed to be, the synch-ing for 'Fellowship' was spot on. If it's not, it's the conductor's fault. I was actually in-house, so the little bit of rain didn't bother us. As for the end credit music - the 'song' didn't impress me, kind of reminded me of that lame 'Lyra' "Golden Compass' song.

As you noted the event being a 'concert event' it did seem odd at points notably during the battle of Helm's Deep portion of the film for so much of the sound effects to be missing (down mixed). The other 'wow' moment for me (and others) was when the Ent's broke down the dam, again the intensity and gradual loudness of the chorus and the orchestra culminating in a towering ( )crescendo was just breathtaking - the applause from the audience was appropriate. It was fun to note when and where in the film clapping occured - at times for the action in the movie, others for the soloists, as well as specific musical cues.
Old 09-02-09, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
but it was supposed to be, the synch-ing for 'Fellowship' was spot on. If it's not, it's the conductor's fault. I was actually in-house, so the little bit of rain didn't bother us. As for the end credit music - the 'song' didn't impress me, kind of reminded me of that lame 'Lyra' "Golden Compass' song.

As you noted the event being a 'concert event' it did seem odd at points notably during the battle of Helm's Deep portion of the film for so much of the sound effects to be missing (down mixed). The other 'wow' moment for me (and others) was when the Ent's broke down the dam, again the intensity and gradual loudness of the chorus and the orchestra culminating in a towering ( )crescendo was just breathtaking - the applause from the audience was appropriate. It was fun to note when and where in the film clapping occured - at times for the action in the movie, others for the soloists, as well as specific musical cues.
Honestly, towards the end, I was getting sick of everyone clapping. It seemed like they started clapping for every little moment that they liked in the film.

I too was kind of disappointed about the really low volume sound effects, but again, concert event, so not a huge deal for me. But when they blew up the wall at Helm's Deep, bwah bwahhhh, haha....

I wonder if the conductor was just confused during the Balrog part. I have The Two Towers soundtrack, and that section actually starts off with the choir, but it's different in the movie. I wonder if that's what caused the discrepancy.
Old 09-02-09, 02:03 PM

Honestly, towards the end, I was getting sick of everyone clapping. It seemed like they started clapping for every little moment that they liked in the film.

I too was kind of disappointed about the really low volume sound effects, but again, concert event, so not a huge deal for me. But when they blew up the wall at Helm's Deep, bwah bwahhhh, haha....

I wonder if the conductor was just confused during the Balrog part. I have The Two Towers soundtrack, and that section actually starts off with the choir, but it's different in the movie. I wonder if that's what caused the discrepancy.
true it was getting a bit much. The snickering at the end when Sam and Frodo are talking just before Gollum decides to take them 'to her' was childish - yeah the homoeroticism is blatant, but come on - the crowd was better behaved for 'Fellowship' than 'Two Towers'