DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   A Perfect Getaway - Steve Zahn, Milla Jovovich (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/555806-perfect-getaway-steve-zahn-milla-jovovich.html)

Matthew Ackerly 05-28-09 01:38 PM

A Perfect Getaway - Steve Zahn, Milla Jovovich

Trailer here:

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810035233/video/13685510

GoldenJCJ 05-28-09 05:54 PM

Re: A Perfect Getaway - Steve Zahn, Milla Jovovich

I'll at least give it a rental, it looks like it could be fun.

Although Steve Zahn and Milla Jovovich don't seem to make a very convincing couple (especially with Zahn all nerded out).

I couldn't really tell, was that Timothy Olyphant? I'm too lazy to check IMDB right now.

Wolf359 08-23-09 08:55 AM

I guess I'm one of the only people to see this. If thats so....GOOD. It sucked.

Spoiler:
The big twist is that the main characters, Zahn and Jovovich, are actually the killers. However, this just makes the movie fall apart. In scenes early on in the film, the two leads are all ALONE, they show them whispering to themselves, looking scared, "is so and so the killer?!", "Could they be the killers?".

On top of this, it takes forever to get going. Once the twist is revealed, the movie gets a little fun as the violence kicks in and we get some action.

BravesMG 08-23-09 09:11 AM

Agree completely with Wolf. The movie doesn't play fair with it's own rules. It looked absolutely beautiful though, one of the best looking movies I've seen in a long time. Staring at Jovovich and the scenery was nice, but the movie pretty much sucked

AndyCleveland 08-23-09 10:11 AM

this is probably one of the worst movies of the year. saw it at the drive-in following inglourious bastards as part of a double feature, so at least it didn't cost me anything except time.

the acting was surprisingly terrible- some of the extras seemed like they were pulled off the street. also, i agree that the film's finale makes the entire first half seem to not make any sense. the locations and scenery were beautiful, though.

Indy Jones Fan 08-23-09 10:53 AM

I have to disagree with you guys. If you go back and carefully re-examine the conversations you're talking about the movie actually does play by it's own rules.
Spoiler:
Zahn and Jovovich never talk about anyone else being the killers amongst themselves privately. All conversations about "are they the ones" were referring to who would be their next victims. They were trying to decide if they knew enough about Olyphant and his girlfriend to assume their identities and whether or not they could actually pull off killing them since Olyphant was portraying himself as a military badass/slightly psychotic. It was actually quite funny when they openingly talked about the "red herring" aspect of stories when that was exactly what the first couple turned out to be. The ones that were hitchhiking and later arrested.

mdc3000 08-23-09 10:57 AM

I saw this when it opened and thought it was decent. You see the twist coming, but it worked well enough
Spoiler:
It also makes sense that they'd have those discussions because they are PLAYING A ROLE. It's part of their sick game, they immerse themselves in the character to LIVE AS THAT PERSON, thus living multiple lives over their lifetime, which in their meth-head way of thinking meant that they'd live forever... this is all explained in the black and white flashback bit

I liked Zahn and Jovovich and was glad to see Olyphant have a role where he wasn't miscast... not the greatest movie ever but I thought it had some good moments of humour in the first half, some good tension built up and then when things go ape shit, it's got a decent payoff.

Ketamine 02-17-10 09:51 AM

I actually really liked this movie. I went in not knowing anything and at first thought it was going to be a lazy repeat of this type of movie. The acting was cheesy good. It never takes itself too seriously as a film. Well worth a watch IMHO.

Geofferson 02-17-10 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Ketamine (Post 10003430)
I actually really liked this movie. I went in not knowing anything and at first thought it was going to be a lazy repeat of this type of movie. The acting was cheesy good. It never takes itself too seriously as a film. Well worth a watch IMHO.

Strong agreement -- though looks like both you and I are in the minority. ;) I felt it was a worthy effort of dir. David Twohy ('The Arrival', 'Pitch Black').

SuckaMC 02-17-10 02:35 PM

I liked this too. I thought Twohy did a great job on making the audience switch allegences so fast.

EdTheRipper 02-17-10 04:13 PM

I like the cast quite a bit so my expectations were up there. Turned out to be a pretty good movie though.

matome 02-18-10 07:14 AM

Yeah, it was pretty decent IMO.

JimRochester 05-01-10 04:41 PM

Saw this last night as a rental. Certainly worth the investment of a rental. It was enjoyable enough. I didn't see the twist coming but wondered why in the opening scenes we never got a good look at them.
Spoiler:
I just wondered why once he hurt his hand he kept trying to shoot with the injured hand instead of just trying to shoot left handed?

It was much better than The Canyon which is another trouble in paradise movie where nothing much happens and you kind of hope the leads get bumped off so someone with a personality gets on screen.

islandclaws 09-20-10 11:34 AM

Caught this on HBO HD the other night... It wasn't the greatest thriller I've ever seen, but it def had some good moments. I knew what the twist would be early on because it seemed like they'd go for the least likely couple to be the killers. Zahn can be a little annoying at times, but Olyphant was great (as usual) and Jovovich is always great eye candy. I generally like most of what Twohy has done, so I was more open to watching this. Good for a single viewing, if nothing else.

Numanoid 09-20-10 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal (Post 10381872)
Caught this on HBO HD the other night... It wasn't the greatest thriller I've ever seen, but it def had some good moments. I knew what the twist would be early on because it seemed like they'd go for the least likely couple to be the killers. Zahn can be a little annoying at times, but Olyphant was great (as usual) and Jovovich is always great eye candy. I generally like most of what Twohy has done, so I was more open to watching this. Good for a single viewing, if nothing else.

Watched this the other day as well, and agree with all your points.
Spoiler:
And the movie does indeed play by its own rules, though you don't remember it that way. I too had to rewind to revisit their private conversations, and they are completely ambiguous. Nice bit of writing.

moviewizguy 09-20-10 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Numanoid (Post 10382611)
Spoiler:
And the movie does indeed play by its own rules, though you don't remember it that way. I too had to rewind to revisit their private conversations, and they are completely ambiguous. Nice bit of writing.

I think that's the reason it should be praised. I think it has a very clever script that it fooled me too. When I saw the twist, I was defensive, saying "But in that other scene, it completely contradicts the twist!" But then I watched the film a second time and I only assumed the line was meant to be taken one way when it can actually be taken in another. That's how you make a good thriller. And it's kinda sad because some people do hate the film because they thought the film cheated them. Roger Ebert is right when he said, "It only appears to cheat."

moviewizguy 09-20-10 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Wolf359 (Post 9663444)
I guess I'm one of the only people to see this. If thats so....GOOD. It sucked.

Spoiler:
The big twist is that the main characters, Zahn and Jovovich, are actually the killers. However, this just makes the movie fall apart. In scenes early on in the film, the two leads are all ALONE, they show them whispering to themselves, looking scared, "is so and so the killer?!", "Could they be the killers?".

On top of this, it takes forever to get going. Once the twist is revealed, the movie gets a little fun as the violence kicks in and we get some action.

Rewatch the film. This is why you shouldn't judge a movie with a twist by watching it once.

Giantrobo 09-20-10 10:28 PM

I caught this the other day and it was pretty decent. The way things turned out was pretty cool.

xfilekr 09-21-10 06:54 AM

Picked this up really cheap from hastings and really enjoyed it.