Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Questions you've always had about a movie

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-09, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

This is similar to the Star Wars questions thread and others, but I wanted one for quicker, random questions that pop in your head. (That don't require a thread for each movie.) Also lets try to quote the question, when you have an answer, to keep up.

I will go first, with Sixteen Candles:

When Farmer Ted and the geeks are making the bet over floppy disk, and they say "underpants" and Ted agrees, they then look at each other and say "girls underpants!" and Ted freaks out a little.

So my question is, what did he think he had to bring as proof, his own underpants?

Last edited by stingermck; 05-27-09 at 07:17 AM.
Old 05-27-09, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Questions you've always had about a movie

In Star Trek VI, why did the Enterprise have equipment to catalog gaseous anomalies when it was clearly not on a mission and sitting in spacedock waiting to be decommissioned?
Old 05-27-09, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by Superboy
In Star Trek VI, why did the Enterprise have equipment to catalog gaseous anomalies when it was clearly not on a mission and sitting in spacedock waiting to be decommissioned?
No one said it was to be de-commissioned, and the cataloging project was fleetwide. There's supposedly a scene in the script where Kirk mentions to Gorkon, Chang, et al, during a tour of the ship.

The decommissioning order came at the end when the Enterprise had taken a pounding and Kirk had pulled off one of his greatest tricks ever. It's likely the decommissioning was to get Kirk out of the fleet on a high note (he's good, but he can be a loose cannon, and it will make peace with the Klingons that much easier.)
Old 05-27-09, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

How do the people in the matrix breathe when there are no trees anywhere? especially at the end of reloaded when the ship blows up and they leave it???
Old 05-27-09, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,462 Likes on 930 Posts

In Independance Day, why did the cleanroom have giant sliding glass doors? Why can a Marine fighter pilot learn in an hour to fly an alien fighter craft better than any alien fighter pilot? Why does nobody mention that NYC got torched? Since the alien mothership is running Windows 98, why don't they run Norton Antivirus too?
Old 05-27-09, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the Matrix sequels, why is nearly everyone in Zion black?
Old 05-27-09, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
So it was in the beginning, so it shall be in the end?
Old 05-27-09, 04:53 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

The Rave sequence was excruciating enough -- now you want white people in there dancing?
Old 05-28-09, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

In The King of Comedy, during the scene near the beginning when DeNiro is in a resturant on a date with that girl, why did the DOP not notice the extra in the background staring into the camera, making funny faces, and imitating DeNiro's gestures? Why was this guy not thrown off the set, and how on earth did his shenanagans make it into the final movie?
Old 05-28-09, 03:19 AM

In Predator, when Mac (Bill Duke) first encounters the Predator, does he shout "Contact!" or "Sergeant!"?
Old 05-28-09, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
In The King of Comedy, during the scene near the beginning when DeNiro is in a resturant on a date with that girl, why did the DOP not notice the extra in the background staring into the camera, making funny faces, and imitating DeNiro's gestures? Why was this guy not thrown off the set, and how on earth did his shenanagans make it into the final movie?
That's Chuck Low, who also played Morrie Kessler in Goodfellas, and was DeNiro's real estate agent at one time. I don't think it was an oversight, it feels like he's mocking Rupert because Rupert is being so over the top.

The clip is here in case people are curious; he starts about 3mins in: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oLdPSjfnMQ
Old 05-28-09, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
From my understanding it was intentional. They were supposedly thinking about having the guy make fun of DeNiro's character, making the girl laugh (you can see her chuckle a bit), and then have the guy pick her up and leave with her. I think in the end that last part was cut out, and they decided to put a different ending on the evening.
Old 05-28-09, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Since the alien mothership is running Windows 98, why don't they run Norton Antivirus too?
Movie was released in 1996 before Windows 98. The alien mothership actually ran Mac OS since Jeff Goldblum was using a Powerbook to write the virus code. And duh! Macs don't need virus protection.
Old 05-28-09, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Courtesy of Ben Affleck's commentary on Armageddon:

Why teach oil drillers to be astronauts instead of teaching astronauts to be oil drillers.
Old 05-28-09, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How did George McFly ever hook up with Lorraine without Marty interfering? Maybe Marty had always interfered and everything was on a loop.
Old 05-28-09, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
How did George McFly ever hook up with Lorraine without Marty interfering? Maybe Marty had always interfered and everything was on a loop.
Lorraine's dad hit George with his car; Marty screwed that up by pushing George out of the way. How they avoided being broken up by Biff in that timeline, I have no idea. Maybe Lorraine was outspoken like she was when she was with Marty and told Biff to get lost. Or maybe George gained a little bit of confidence by having this girl fall for him, and was able to keep Biff away.

Last edited by FinkPish; 05-28-09 at 01:35 PM.
Old 05-28-09, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

In Ghostbusters, why do Venkman and Egon move away from Ray in the elevator when they flip on his proton pack? Is it supposed to be a joke that moving a foot away from an "unlicensed nuclear accelerator" would make a difference? That's not particularly funny.

When I was a kid I always thought Ray farted The sound effect even supports that theory.

Last edited by Draven; 05-28-09 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-28-09, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Why does nobody mention that NYC got torched?
Because dozens of major cities around the world were also destroyed.

In Pulp Fiction, Vincent is very rude & aggressive with Butch. I've always wondered what brought about that hostility.
Old 05-28-09, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How are more cars "born" in Cars and who built the towns?
Old 05-28-09, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

There was some theory posited by someone related to the movies (or some other such source) that said black people would be more willing to accept that our world is fake, and accept The Matrix. Something along those lines, not sure who came up with it.

Originally Posted by emachine12
How are more cars "born" in Cars and who built the towns?
Funny thing about this...I was watching the movie with a friend who had already seen it, and I asked "What the...how do they build their roads?" Then my friend said "Uh...that's actually a major plot point." I was pretty surprised.
Old 05-28-09, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bluetoast
There was some theory posited by someone related to the movies (or some other such source) that said black people would be more willing to accept that our world is fake, and accept The Matrix. Something along those lines, not sure who came up with it.

Last edited by emachine12; 05-28-09 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-28-09, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

In Ghostbusters II, why did Winston disappear when the ghosts appeared and raised hell? We clearly see him in the courtroom just minutes before.
Old 05-28-09, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,462 Likes on 930 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Because dozens of major cities around the world were also destroyed.

In Pulp Fiction, Vincent is very rude & aggressive with Butch. I've always wondered what brought about that hostility.
Vincent has had a rotten morning. He's fought with his partner, faced the Bonnie situation, got put in his place by The Wolf, and had to deal with armed robbers when he thought he was going to get breakfast in a diner. I think he's just taking out his tension on someone lower on the totem pole.
Old 05-28-09, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,201 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
In Ghostbusters, why do Venkman and Egon move away from Ray in the elevator when they flip on his proton pack? Is it supposed to be a joke that moving a foot away from an "unlicensed nuclear accelerator" would make a difference? That's not particularly funny.
That's exactly why they moved away. I always thought it was funny that they tried to scoot as far away as they could since they had no idea what would happen, and of course Ray was the guinea pig.
Old 05-28-09, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bluetoast
[Barbara Bush]Or maybe their lives are so bad inside the matrix, that living in a perpetually dark, post-apocalyptic wasteland eating white goop all day is a step up. [/Barbara Bush]

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.