Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The American (Corbijn, 2010): George Clooney as assassin

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The American (Corbijn, 2010): George Clooney as assassin

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-10, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The American (Corbijn, 2010): George Clooney as assassin

Originally Posted by sauce07
As for some of the confusion over the plot/ending, here's what I thought happened.
Spoiler:
The Sweed's were hired by Pavel to take out Clooney because he was getting old and loosing his game (he mentions that in the old days Clooney didn't make friends). Clooney gets paranoid that somebody is trying to double cross him because who would've known he was out in that snowy town all by himself. Another assassin shows up in his new hideout spot, confirming Clooney's paranoia, but he still can't pinpoint who is in on it. He thinks it could be Clara but doesn't put it all together till he calls Pavel to retire. Pavel, who has known Clooney for a long time, doesn't put up a fight and Clooney realizes that he's already dead in his eyes. That is when Clooney opens up the briefcase with the gun one last time before delivering it to the assassin, and probably rigs the firing pin to misfire.
That's how I interpreted the ending as well.

I didn't love this movie, but I did think it was shot very beautifully. I liked it, but I didn't expect such a slow boil. My friend thought it was terrible, but he went into it with an expectation of a 'Bourne-like' movie.

I'd give it a B-/C+.
Old 09-24-10, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Caught this yesterday and really enjoyed it. Yeah, it's slow but I found it interesting. I did think it was a bit short though. I've read the book and could have sworn there were more conversations with the priest. I think that relationship could have been expanded on in the film.

And yeah, that scene with Jack and Mathilda in the field was erotic.
Old 09-28-10, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffy Pop
One of the best flicks I've seen all year. Slow, deliberate, achingly beautiful to look at. Gorgeous women, architecture, and guns, plus a shout out to Sergio Leone. Movie heaven.

The scene where Clooney and Mathilda are on their "picnic," assembling and test firing the sniper rifle, was one of the most erotic scenes in ages.

No surprise that it's divisive among critics and audiences. Definitely not the type of thing that I'd recommend to everyone. But if you have patience (ie, can sit still for than five minutes without fidgeting with your phone), you'll love it.

Went to a matinee, and was surrounded by mostly geriatrics. Had to shush these three doofuses in front of me twice during the film (once at the beginning and once near the end). As they were leaving, they were prattling on about how boring and slow the movie was. I imagine that will be the typical reaction from a lot of people. Their loss.

I enjoyed this movie also. I liked the slow pace. Reminds me of European movies from the 70's and 70's American cinema. There were about 5 people in the theatre I was at and I overheard one of the ladies say it was the worst movie she's ever seen. LOL
Old 10-27-10, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Absolutely fantastic.

Loved it. Could not have enjoyed watching this more.
Old 10-27-10, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Movies sometimes get better for me with time, even when I haven't seen them in a while. I go back to thinking about it at odd times. I get an itch to rewatch it, etc.

The Queen was like that. Syriana is like that. And so is this film.
Old 12-28-10, 10:06 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
Absolutely fantastic.

ditto. absolutely top movie of 2010 for me. just masterfully shot and acted and done. what some say was slow and plodding was, for me, tense and taut throughout. just incredible!
Old 01-29-11, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Just saw this.

Liked it a lot.

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned the best part of the film though...

Multiple nudity shots of the hot Italian hooker!
Old 01-29-11, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Finally got to see this and loved it too. And the cinematography was fucking gorgeous.
Old 01-29-11, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Just saw this.

Liked it a lot.

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned the best part of the film though...

Multiple nudity shots of the hot Italian hooker!
Anyone else notice she's the daughter of Michael's italian wife from The Godfather?
Old 05-05-11, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This movie was a MASTERPIECE, was not expecting something so cool and artful, yet all in the service of the character. Loved his first movie too, Control.
Old 05-08-11, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
Absolutely fantastic.

Just watched this today and really enjoyed it. The slow pace was such a nice change from typical Hollywood films. I thought Clooney was great in not playing his typical suave persona.
Old 07-22-11, 12:08 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Saw this last night. Very good film. People who complain about the pace have their heads up their behinds. The film was incredibly suspensful, not at all slow or boring. Two questions:

1. What is Roger Ebert talking about in this quote:
The entire drama of this film rests on two words, "Mr. Butterfly." We must be vigilant to realize that once, and only once, they are spoken by the wrong person. They cause the entire film and all of its relationships to rotate. I felt exaltation at this detail. It is so rare to see a film this carefully crafted, this patiently assembled like a weapon, that when the word comes it strikes like a clap of thunder. A lesser film would have underscored it with a shock chord, punctuated it with a sudden zoom, or cut to a shocked close up. "The American" is too cool to do that.
Each chick called him Mr. Butterfly. The prostitute called him that because of his tatoo, the assasin chick called him that because of their "moment" together when the butterfly landed on her leg. Ebert seems to have dreamed up something that just wasn't there. Or did I miss something.

2. My blu ray was fucked up during the scene at the cafe when Once Upon a Time in the West was playing on the TV. Was there any dialogue in this scene? Did I miss something? Or does Clooney just watch it.
Old 07-22-11, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've watched this three times now, and it's better each time. So much symbolism in this film.

Here's one analysis of the question on Ebert's review:

Contained in his review of Anton Corbijn’s The American, Roger Ebert makes the following statement:

“The entire drama of this film rests on two words, ‘Mr. Butterfly.’ We must be vigilant to realize that once, and only once, they are spoken by the wrong person. They cause the entire film and all of its relationships to rotate. I felt exaltation at this detail. It is so rare to see a film this carefully crafted, this patiently assembled like a weapon, that when the word comes it strikes like a clap of thunder. A lesser film would have underscored it with a shock chord, punctuated it with a sudden zoom, or cut to a shocked close up. The American is too cool to do that. Too Zen, if you will.”

I read Ebert’s review prior to watching The American and spent the duration of the film’s running time waiting for this subtle emotional/tonal shift to arrive and it never did. The protagonist Jack (George Clooney) is called “Mr. Butterfly” by two characters on three occasions. The first time by ice-queen assassin Mathilde (Thekla Reuten) after Jack plucks a butterfly from her shoulder during a dreamy picnic/weapons trade. The second time by Jack’s paramour, an improbably bubbly and beautiful prostitute named Clara (Violante Placido) after noticing a butterfly tattoo on his back. The third time by Mathilde, as she drives out of a cafe parking lot.

For argument’s sake, we’ll label the incidents A, B, and C, and keep in mind that for Ebert’s statement to make any sense, he would have to be referring to incidents B or C.

In incident B, Clara splashes around quite joyously in a stream and calls Jack (standing on the shore) “Mr. Farfalla” This doesn’t have a lot of impact because she’s a) saying “Mr. Butterfly” in Italian and b) there’s no reaction shot from Jack, no immediate change in his behaviour (he continues walking toward the stream), nor any alteration of his character in subsequent scenes. He grows exceedingly suspicious of Clara throughout the rest of the film, but that’s because he’s already suspicious of everyone. This wasn’t the turning point for him as far as Clara is concerned.

In incident C, Mathilde calls Jack “Mr. Butterfly” in the parking lot of a restaurant where she and Jack meet to exchange a gun that Jack’s built. This could be what Ebert’s referring to – the idea that the people he’s grown to trust shouldn’t necessarily be trusted – but the film has already established that Mathilde’s an unsavoury character and Jack’s already shown a refusal to engage with her on any sort of emotional level. There is a change in Mathilde from incident A to C – she goes from being vaguely suspicious to overtly suspicious – but Ebert mentions “the wrong person” which means A or C have to exist in relation to B, Mathilde to Clara or Clara to Mathilde.

Which leaves us with two options: either Ebert puts a significant weight on Clara’s “Signor Farfalla,” which doesn’t work in the context of the scene or in the overall film, or Ebert is putting a significant weight on Mathilde’s “Mr. Butterfly,” which also doesn’t work since it’s, at most, redundant in terms of Mathilde’s character and Jack’s attitude towards her (or anyone around him).

There’s a third option: Ebert simply forgot Mathilde’s first “Mr. Butterfly,” which would give the scene in the parking lot a tremendous amount of impact. This seems a likely explanation, given that Ebert’s reviews can occasionally be rather hit-or-miss in terms of accuracy. He quotes the following dialogue in his review of the first Scream movie:

“Horror movies are always about some big-breasted blond who runs upstairs so the slasher can corner her,” says a character in Scream. “I hate it when characters are that stupid.”

Actual line of dialogue: “What’s the point? They’re all the same. Some stupid killer’s stalking some big-breasted girl who can’t act who’s always running up the stairs when she should be going out the front door. It’s insulting.”

The basic point remains the same, of course, but the quote is way off. There’s also his review of Not Another Teen Movie, which, when it first came out, featured Ebert repeatedly referring to the film as Not Just Another Teen Movie (an error that’s since been corrected, but you can find evidence of it at the bottom of the second paragraph.)

I think his review of The American is similar: the basic point remains the same but the quote is way off. The film, as he says, is carefully crafted and assembled like a weapon, but there’s no point at which the name “Mr. Butterfly” strikes like a clap of thunder. When Clara says it? No. When Mathilde says it? Maybe. Probably not. If this moment happened as Ebert described, it was subtle enough to be subliminal, but he’s probably just remembering it wrong.
Old 07-22-11, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I remember seeing this in a Dollar Theater, 3 people in the audience, my buddy, myself and Billy Walsh from Entourage.
Old 07-25-11, 02:00 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Thanks for that info Dr. Mabuse. I'm glad I wasn't crazy, I think Ebert must have fallen asleep and missed something.

Hey good doctor, can you answer my #2 question?
My blu ray was fucked up during the scene at the cafe when Once Upon a Time in the West was playing on the TV. Was there any dialogue in this scene? Did I miss something? Or does Clooney just watch it.
Old 08-07-11, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Saw this for the first time last night. Absolutely beautiful and mesmerizing. I'll add one thing to the butterfly thing. Clooney told Mathilde at the picnic that the butterfly was an endangered species, and since then, when she calls him Mr. Butterfly, we come to realize that there is a double-meaning to that name she chose for him- he was an endangered species who will be wiped out too.
Old 08-07-11, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Autotelik
Saw this for the first time last night. Absolutely beautiful and mesmerizing. I'll add one thing to the butterfly thing. Clooney told Mathilde at the picnic that the butterfly was an endangered species, and since then, when she calls him Mr. Butterfly, we come to realize that there is a double-meaning to that name she chose for him- he was an endangered species who will be wiped out too.
Good insight. I didn't recognize it the first time. Now I'm going to rewatch it.
Old 08-07-11, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The film was a slow burner, but it was good and beautifully shot.
It's much more of a drama/character movie than a Bourne type action film.
The Italian hooker was gorgeous
Old 08-07-11, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

This is the film from last year I most keep thinking about.
Old 08-07-11, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't remember much of the trailer now, but if they didn't market this as a "Bourne" type action movie (I say Bourne because that's the word people have used more than once in this thread), maybe people wouldn't have been so disappointed.

I really think this was a masterpiece. So little dialogue needed. It really had the feel of a thriller from a prior era.
Old 08-12-11, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree - little dialogue and beautiful shots of Europe, what it made me think of was (say) some car commercials from the 90's
Old 12-29-12, 03:10 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Finally bought this on BD and it was first time to see it. Fucking great flick. A great slow burn. Not a damn thing wrong w/ it. The life was getting to Jack for sure. Loved his little set up at the end.

As previously stated. This film totally doesn't belong in our times. It's very much an old school flick. Letting things sizzle and then finally burn at the end. Fucking great flick.
Old 12-29-12, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
It's very much an old school flick. Letting things sizzle and then finally burn at the end. Fucking great flick.
Yup

Old 12-29-12, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Yep, this was one of my favorite films of that year. Superb in every fashion.
Old 12-30-12, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Time to see it again. Going to give it a spin next week

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.