Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Deadpool - X-Men spinoff (2016, D: Tim Miller) S: Ryan Reynolds

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Deadpool - X-Men spinoff (2016, D: Tim Miller) S: Ryan Reynolds

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-16, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: Deadpool - X-Men spinoff (2016, D: Tim Miller) S: Ryan Reynolds

I remember when Grace Randolph did her first analysis of the red-band trailer she spent half the time talking about he she thinks Deadpool should be PG-13. She said something similar when she reviewed Mad Max:Fury Road back in May. She seems to have a very strong opinion that if a studio wants a major hit, they should make it PG-13, period. She doesn't seem to care about how that may or may not affect the quality of the movie. The woman is easy on the eyes, I will give her that, but you can only watch so many minutes of her broadcasts before she starts to annoy you. One can tell she's doing this in an attempt to get noticed by someone important and perhaps land a gig as a more recognized critic.
Old 01-18-16, 10:47 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Totally. Her voice, the way she does it, boasts that of an attempt to be valued or important. She's not. She's a mediocre talent.
Old 01-18-16, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
If anything, that kind of criticizes parents and, to a degree, the MPAA.
Right, I just thought it was ironic given that that they want to cut down an R rated movie to PG-13 that still wouldn't be technically age appropriate for this kid.
Old 01-18-16, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

I'm 39 and rarely saw rated R movies in the theater (with the exception of Robocop - seriously, what the hell were my parents thinking??).

However, we had all of the cable channels and my mom let me pick out tons of movies to rent for cheap from the grocery store, so I saw damn near everything as a kid. My younger brother's favorite movie was The Beastmaster for crissakes. That movie is all kinds of fucked up.

Anyway, the theater wasn't the place for kids to see rated R stuff. Why little Billy can sneak a peak on HBO Go like the rest of us did is beyond me.

Last edited by Draven; 01-18-16 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-18-16, 11:50 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Your parents thought highly of you, and thought you could handle/appreciate movies regardless of the MPAA rating? Your parents were awesome, so shut it.
Old 01-18-16, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
My younger brother's favorite movie was The Beastmaster for crissakes. That movies is all kinds of fucked up.
So prevalent was the film during the 1980s that the running joke (usually credited to Dennis Miller) was that HBO stood for "Hey, Beastmaster's On."
http://www.fthismovie.net/2014/03/it...astmaster.html

Old 01-18-16, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That was a great read - thanks for sharing!

And yes, the "bat men" is the first thing I think of too about that movie.
Old 01-18-16, 02:04 PM
Banned

Via THR:

'Deadpool' Denied Release in China Due to Graphic Violence

Fanboys worldwide are agog with anticipation for the upcoming release of Fox's R-rated 'anti-superhero' movie Deadpool — it got the most rousing reception of any title previewed at Comic Con last year — but China's censors have taken a far less enthusiastic view of the film.

According to widespread local media reports, Deadpool, which was produced by 20th Century Fox and based on the Marvel comic book character, has been denied permission to screen in China due to its violence, nudity and graphic language.

A source close to the decision at China Film Group tells THR that the reports are indeed accurate.

Directed by Tim Miller and starring Ryan Reynolds as the most foul-mouthed and self-aware superhero — or, anti-hero — in the Marvel catalog, Deadpool hits theaters stateside on Feb. 12.

China's censorship authorities often work with the Hollywood studios to create cleaned-up special cuts of R-rated movies, but sources close to the Deadpool decision say it wasn't possible to excise the offending material without causing plot problems.

China has no ratings system, so the country's media regulator, the State Administration of Press, Publication, Radio, Film and Television (SAPPRFT), makes an up-down judgment on all film imports, approving or banning them for consumption by Chinese viewers of all ages.

Despite the film's more adult tone and content, many observers had predicted that Deadpool would find a way into the China market, thanks to the Marvel imprimatur.

Movies based on Marvel comic books have done huge business in China, which is now the world's second-largest theatrical market. Avengers: Age of Ultron grossed $240 million last summer, while more offbeat titles like Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man grossed $96.4 million and $105.4 million, respectively.

Deadpool co-stars T.J. Miller, Morena Baccarin and Brianna Hildebrand. It tells the origin story of former Special Forces operative turned mercenary Wade Wilson (Reynolds), who after being subjected to a rogue experiment that leaves him with accelerated healing powers, adopts the alter ego Deadpool.

20th Century Fox declined to comment
Apparently the violence is at the core of this film to the point China can't mess w/ it to where it doesn't fuck the plot. Ha. I fucking hope this is a good movie cuz that makes me laugh.
Old 01-18-16, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Banned for content? Seriously....now I want to see it more.
Old 01-18-16, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Totally. Her voice, the way she does it, boasts that of an attempt to be valued or important. She's not. She's a mediocre talent.
Shortcomings aside, I would still hit it.
Old 01-18-16, 03:02 PM
Banned

I'd fuck her. But still wears too much make up and... actually... in a sadistic manner... I wouldn't mind hearing her voice during a fuck in her asshole.
Old 01-18-16, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Brack
Your parents thought highly of you, and thought you could handle/appreciate movies regardless of the MPAA rating? Your parents were awesome, so shut it.
They never got too hung up on the ratings, that's for sure. And I knew movies were fake from early on and had an interest in making them, so I was watching things like Robocop and wondering how they managed to make it look like he got his hand blown off more than freaking out about the content. Still, I'm not 100% sure my parents knew what that movie was going to be about.
Old 01-18-16, 06:32 PM
Banned

I saw RoboCop when I was three. I didn't know what the fuck exactly was going but I thought RoboCop was badass cuz he was a cop and a robot. It's been one of my top favorites since I was 3.

Funny thing.... some humors in films like this you didn't get as a kid and just let it pass by but as you get older you get it. The pussy joke in Predator I didn't get at all till I was I liike 15. I literally thought Billy was laughing cuz it was such a shitty joke. It wasn't. It was funny.
Old 01-18-16, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess we better hope Deadpool does great at the BO without China or studios will probably want to not have much violence in comic films to ensure they can play in China.

First with forcing in China scenes and now maybe taking away future R-rated comic movies. China fucks us again.

Also, if they can't take out the scenes without the film making no sense, how will Fox sell the TV rights? They still have to edit films for TV. Unless China can't handle even TV cuts. LOL
Old 01-18-16, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Meh there's a difference between what's to be expected in typical MCU and DC films versus the level of violence that's going to be in Deadpool. Most characters really don't need a hard R rating and most aren't going to get one anyways. At most I think we'll see PG-13 from any Disney distributed Marvel Studios films or any Warner Bros. distributed DC films so there's really no need to worry about a level of violence from either that will be deemed inappropriate more than likely. The only exception seems to be the Netflix shows which are a bit darker in tone.

Last edited by Mike86; 01-18-16 at 06:51 PM.
Old 01-18-16, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I remember when Grace Randolph did her first analysis of the red-band trailer she spent half the time talking about he she thinks Deadpool should be PG-13. She said something similar when she reviewed Mad Max:Fury Road back in May. She seems to have a very strong opinion that if a studio wants a major hit, they should make it PG-13, period. She doesn't seem to care about how that may or may not affect the quality of the movie. The woman is easy on the eyes, I will give her that, but you can only watch so many minutes of her broadcasts before she starts to annoy you. One can tell she's doing this in an attempt to get noticed by someone important and perhaps land a gig as a more recognized critic.
She's not that pretty. She's a 6 at best. At best.
Old 01-18-16, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
She's not that pretty. She's a 6 at best. At best.
She would still probably have a line of nerdboys lined up to date her if she had open boyfriend auditions. Of course there's a very real chance her interests in these comic book and genre movies are all a put-on until she gets a more mainstream job.

Oh, and I hope Deadpool doesn't get too much competition from the second Zoolander (keeping it on topic.)
Old 01-18-16, 09:14 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Oh, and I hope Deadpool doesn't get too much competition from the second Zoolander (keeping it on topic.)
I didn't realize that until your post. Even though one is a "superhero" movie, they're both comedic, and Zoolander 2 is going to be pushing Will Ferrell's character hard since he's still a good draw at the box office.
Old 01-19-16, 02:11 AM
Banned

I dunno. How much attention is that getting? It's a sequel to a film from almost 15 years ago.
Old 01-19-16, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

@RobertKirkman: Saw #deadpool tonight. This movie cannot be over-hyped! It's flawless. Pure @robertliefeld on screen. #TimMiller shows us how it's done.

@RobertKirkman: We are entering the A.D. era of superhero movies. There were movies before Deadpool... But now, things will be different. Game changer.

@RobertKirkman: I'd compare it to Shaun Of The Dead. Great, dramatic horror movie, that is also hilarious. @deadpoolmovie is the same for superheroes.
Old 01-19-16, 09:02 AM
Banned

A game changer? DP? Sure... why not?
Old 01-19-16, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Not sure if I trust Kirkman's opinion, hopefully there will be more early impressions.
Old 01-19-16, 10:38 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Here are some more reactions: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit...news/?a=130130
Old 01-19-16, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I'm not sure I see this as being a game changer like Kirkman is calling it. I think it'll be a good film but I don't think its going to change the way comic book films are made or anything like that. It still is going to have a much more limited appeal in my opinion than most of the MCU films and the upcoming DC films.

Last edited by Mike86; 01-19-16 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-19-16, 10:48 AM
Banned

It's cute how they're calling it a Marvel movie. I can't tell if they can tell what they mean by that or not.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.