Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek (J.J. Abrams, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Trek (J.J. Abrams, 2009) — The Reviews Thread
25.21%
30.81%
31.37%
5.32%
2.80%
1.40%
1.68%
0%
0%
0.28%
0.56%
I have no desire to boldly go where many will go before.
0.56%
Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Star Trek (J.J. Abrams, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-09, 10:19 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Star Trek (J.J. Abrams, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

In fact really really loved the intro to ST. It was really really good in my opinion.
Old 05-08-09, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Saw it last night and loved it. Would like to see it again on IMAX.
Old 05-08-09, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
What are the odds that any of the TNG/DS9/Voyager characters we knew from the original timeline don't exist in this one? Be it the destruction of the Kelvin or Vulcan or the Starfleet response?
You could infer that most major Vulcan characters (Tuvok, Saavik) probably won't exist, or their ancestors miraculously were one of the few that made it off Vulcan or already lived elsewhere. My Trek knowledge is a bit rusty, but I think the Kelvin was made up purely for this new film.

A friend and I were discussing the film today at work and brought up the possibility of actually bringing in characters from the future era that are possible, i.e. Data is built/discovered much earlier, or if you've read Countdown:

Spoiler:
the Borg see Nero's use of their technology and come to investigate, prompting an earlier invasion than before.

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I don't think anyone who dislikes it is getting labeled a nerd, just those people whose sole reason for disliking it is that it varies in any way from established Trek. That was the point, to deviate and create something new. If you want old Trek, you have 5 TV series and 10 movies to enjoy.
I like how my comment about the timeline mucking invalidated my 5 or so other points in my initial comments (loving some of the cast, hating Bana/Nero, special effects great, but blurry).
Old 05-08-09, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 146 Likes on 93 Posts

Entertaining is the best word for the film; I didn't find it particularly good or particularly memorable, and it was overly (and often unnecessarily) bombastic. Paper-thin story, paper-thin villain who didn't act worth a damn. I suppose my knickers would be in a twist if I took television shows personally, but, despite being rather familiar with the original series and picking up on a number of references in the film, I just don't care. Not a bad way to spend a couple of hours, but I won't need to see it again.
Old 05-09-09, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great movie.... perfect way to start the summer..

btw, people clapped for the transformers preview.... really cool moment
Old 05-09-09, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Patman

The universe is too small for coincidences in the script at times.
Exactly. Chewbacca knows Yoda syndrome.
Old 05-09-09, 12:44 AM
Suspended

The studios are sooooo lucky that moviegoers are so easily pleased.
Old 05-09-09, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron G
The studios are sooooo lucky that moviegoers are so easily pleased.
Why are you still posting in this thread? Seriously, review the movie, discuss the movie, but stop saying people who enjoyed it are "easily entertained". It's a threadcrap at this point.
Old 05-09-09, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Why are you still posting in this thread? Seriously, review the movie, discuss the movie, but stop saying people who enjoyed it are "easily entertained". It's a threadcrap at this point.
Just reported him to the Mods. I urge others to do the same. He's just a hit and run troll asshole at this point. Contributing absolutely nothing to the dialogue.
Old 05-09-09, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Liked it just as much if not more when I saw it again today...I'll probably be back tomorrow or Sunday for sure. This movie is 100% FUN.
Old 05-09-09, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's very entertaining and a hell of a blast-off to a new version of Trek... but I fear for its future. The cast is outstanding filling these roles and the ending gave me some hope that future installments will use them well..

What worries me is that because this will rake in a huge box office, the writers won't be able to truly take this Trek into interesting and edgy territory like the old show. There were episodes of the series (and a the new series' too) where there was no villain, no space battles, no revenge vendetta and the driving narrative involved complex philosophical and metaphysical ideas.

There is so much gold that this new cast could mine with some visionary writers/directors, but I'm afraid with this becoming Paramount's new summer tentpole franchise, we will simply see hammy actors taking turns every other year playing the next charismatic-eloquent Khan reincarnation who's chasing the Enterprise to get revenge for something. This Star Trek franchise could easily become the equivalent of Schumacher's Batman movies.

The movies have always disappointed me. They've never reached the narrative heights of the tv shows and have always copped out by being essentially the same action-movie plot told over and over again, like the Bond franchise. I just hope the producers grow some balls and let this awesome cast have a shot at some great stories.

All that said, I now dub JJ Abrams as Captain Lensflare. Holy mackeral!! I can't wait till shaky-cam and lensflare go out of style like 80's montage scenes or smell-o-vision. There were scenes that felt like the Blair Trek Project and the bridge of the Enterprise resembled an Apple store full of waving floodlamps. Sometimes the image just blew out with overexposure for no discernible reason. It called attention to the film-making in a way that removes one from the substance of the scene and in a few years will feel very dated. They'll look back on this as the "Fast and Furious era" and make fun of us for thinking it was cool.

Last edited by lamphorn; 05-09-09 at 01:49 AM.
Old 05-09-09, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by lamphorn
All that said, I now dub JJ Abrams as Captain Lensflare. Holy mackeral!! I can't wait till shaky-cam and lensflare go out of style like 80's montage scenes or smell-o-vision. There were scenes that felt like the Blair Trek Project and the bridge of the Enterprise resembled an Apple store full of waving floodlamps. Sometimes the image just blew out with overexposure for no discernible reason. It called attention to the film-making in a way that removes one from the substance of the scene and in a few years will feel very dated. They'll look back on this as the "Fast and Furious era" and make fun of us for thinking it was cool.
I agree with this. The overall direction was great but stylistically it didn't quite do it for me. Abrams also needs to learn it's okay to have a static shot where two people have a convo without switch to close ups every time their mouth moves.
Old 05-09-09, 03:22 AM

I've already posted on this movie in this thread, i pretty much liked it though the story was a bit weak. So I've started watching all the old movies again, many I haven't seen in years. TMP from 1979, it consists mostly of SFX shots and the actors reacting to them. Something happens on the view screen, then in turn everybody on the bridge jaw-drops to what they see. Funny. But one thing got to be said, William Shattner is a hell of an actor! :-)

It looks like Star Trek will make enough money, a sequel is already on IMDB and I am certainly looking forward to it. As JMS has just done Changeling maybe he's available for writing the sequel?
Old 05-09-09, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Great to see alot of positive feedback. Gonna try to catch a matinee tomorrow. Was originally gonna see it today, but getting into a car accident Friday morning killed the momentum I had going into the weekend. Now I just need some fun escapism entertainment to take my mind off things.
Old 05-09-09, 03:58 AM

The only thing that took me out of the movie was the generic action movie score. I was very happy when they used the original theme at the end of the movie.

It does also make me a bit sad that they overwrote the entire previous Star Trek universe. There is a finality to that in that they can't really go back to any of the previous franchises now.
Old 05-09-09, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Lutz
It does also make me a bit sad that they overwrote the entire previous Star Trek universe. There is a finality to that in that they can't really go back to any of the previous franchises now.
I find this to be more of a liberation!
Old 05-09-09, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Originally Posted by filmerp
Yeah, it's not a bad thing. I LOOOVE the
Spoiler:
alternative universe/interrupted timeline aspect of this film.

The Narration from Spock at the end actually seemed like a NEW beginning.

I think this was some of the best casting Iv'e seen for some time now. Everyone "worked" for me and I have to say that Bruce Greenwood as Pike was truly awesome. Greenwood has the voice, the presence, maturity, and the good looks of a true Leader and he put those gifts to good use playing Pike.

I also liked the changes including,
Spoiler:
Spock and Uhura love thing

Now I'm actually looking forward to a new Star Trek film and I've never had that feeling before.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 05-09-09 at 04:53 AM.
Old 05-09-09, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by filmerp
Have they really liberated Star Trek though? Since the new movie is set in the same universe it still presents the same problem which buried Star Trek a few years ago. They had already explored that universe and where else was there to take it? Events unfolding differently in the same universe becomes more and more contrived the further it goes on because to some extent they are just retreading what has gone before.
Old 05-09-09, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lutz
Have they really liberated Star Trek though? Since the new movie is set in the same universe it still presents the same problem which buried Star Trek a few years ago.
That clearly is not what buried Trek. The franchise's problem was that it was buried by its own history. We knew what happened and when.

With the original cast members either dead or too old to continue, and the Next Generation losing its luster, something had to give. By taking things back to the original characters, but changing the timeline, Trek is opened up to start fresh. They can literally take the plots anywhere.

They had already explored that universe and where else was there to take it?
It's an awfully big universe.
Old 05-09-09, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not to derail this into a TV discussion, but they did try to do something different with Deep Space 9.

As for the movie, I really enjoyed it, and liked the little nods to the tv series .. Bones calling for Nurse Chapel when taking Kirk aboard the Enterprise for the first time, the red-shirt on the skydive, little things like that gave the movie an old friend feeling while still plotting a new course for the future.

Well done, JJ ... can't wait to see where this leads
Old 05-09-09, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I quite enjoyed the film. Sure, the plot wasn't overly complex, but it felt more like a character-driven film than a plot-driven one and that's okay. What the movie managed to do was add something that Star Trek has been missing for awhile, which is a much-needed sense of vitality.

As casting goes, I was surprised how quickly I started thinking of the new actors as the characters without picturing the old actors in the roles. I completely bought into Chris Pine's James Kirk without even trying to compare him to William Shatner. Just wish we'd have gotten a little more of Scotty throughout the film.
Old 05-09-09, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Super X
I quite enjoyed the film. Sure, the plot wasn't overly complex, but it felt more like a character-driven film than a plot-driven one and that's okay. What the movie managed to do was add something that Star Trek has been missing for awhile, which is a much-needed sense of vitality.

As casting goes, I was surprised how quickly I started thinking of the new actors as the characters without picturing the old actors in the roles. I completely bought into Chris Pine's James Kirk without even trying to compare him to William Shatner. Just wish we'd have gotten a little more of Scotty throughout the film.
As for getting used to the new actors, i 'm pretty sure the internet (and tv) helps. We knew these guys were going to play those roles for about 2 years. When I learned that Quinto was gonna play Spock my first reaction was 'Awsome choice'. Pine looks like a young Kirk, good choice too. Only Pegg as Scotty felt like an odd choice, maybe because I've seen him in a lot of movies and a great TV show (Spaced). All in all, the casting is certainly the best part of the movie.
Old 05-09-09, 09:23 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

Originally Posted by MBoyd
Pine's very last scene was the most Shatner-like of any delivery. And it was waaaaaaay toned down.
not to mention the crossed legs reminded me of Shatner as well.
Old 05-09-09, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i saw it yesterday and really liked it. probably only behind ST2 in quality. i did like all of the little things, like the lines of dialogue that would be put in occasionally that were in TOS or the homage to the redshirts during the drill scene.
Old 05-09-09, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I saw this yesterday afternoon while visiting a friend in Texas (damn it, I need something like the Alamo Drafthouse in California) and enjoyed it quite a bit. I don't give two shits about the old Star Trek or any of the TV series other then knowing the characters throw pop culture references and normal geekdom stuff that comes up, but I dug this.

Some things seemed a little too coincidental since it looked like they had to find a way for certain characters to step up to certain positions, but it didn't bother me too much. All the acting was fine and solid, and the guy playing Kirk did a good job as a lead. The story was decent and they handled the time travel stuff well without it being too confusing. I wish Eric Bana got to kick more ass as he looked pretty awesome and menacing. And as an asian guy, it's cool to see how far John Cho has come from being the "MILF" guy

Last edited by fumanstan; 05-09-09 at 09:54 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.