Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

District 9 (Blomkamp, 2009) — Ex-Halo director fleshes out "Alive in Joburg"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

District 9 (Blomkamp, 2009) — Ex-Halo director fleshes out "Alive in Joburg"

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-09, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: District 9 (Blomkamp, 2009) — Ex-Halo director fleshes out "Alive in Joburg"

Just saw it, definetly the best movie of the year so far.
Old 08-14-09, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Re: District 9 (Blomkamp, 2009) — Ex-Halo director fleshes out "Alive in Joburg"

Fantastic movie - and even as just an action movie, it beats the pants off of other action movies that cost 10x more.

This is obvious stuff, but here's what I want from the inevitable sequel, obvioulsy called
Spoiler:
District 10
- first act: flashback revealing Prawn's POV of events that lead them to Earth
- second act: the three years of life on Earth for Prawned Wikus along with Christopher's journey to his planet and back
- third act: Christopher's return (he promised), possibly with a legion of Prawn and whatever the outcome of that may be

I just loved the film so much, I want more, and my brains going through all these scenarios....
Old 08-15-09, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm glad the early marketing kept most of the plotline obscured, and just set up the premise where aliens have shown up on Earth, and their space ship floats high about the ground, and they basically are quarantined in District 9 from the general population that grows weary of their presence as years pass.

The visual effects are really well done when it came to the aliens and how they looked in broad daylight, co-habitating with us on Earth. There is a nice thread of dark humor that underscores some of the violence, but the film does make use of its R rating when needed. I was struck by how reminiscent some of the beats were when compared to Robocop in spots, but homage or not, used well in service of the story.

Given all the special effects, the acting never takes you out of the scenes when the aliens are also in the scenes, so a solid effort by the main lead acting performance by Sharlto Copley, as well as some of the main alien characters, a father and son tandem. The direction by Neill Blomkamop is efficient and serves the story well.

Don't want to say much more, but if you're on the fence or intrigued by the trailer or ads, I'd suggest seeing it on the big screen, it's got plenty of story and action, as well as sci-fi and social allegories on display (though not unbearably so).

I give it 3 stars or a grade of B (visual effects get a B+).
Old 08-15-09, 12:34 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Fly
my thoughts exactly! on a side note, i LOVED some of the weapons. Especially...
Spoiler:
the gravity/magnetic one! I almost died when he used a pig as a weapon

I immediately thought of Half Life 2.
Old 08-15-09, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Saw it Thurs night at midnight. BADASS!
Old 08-15-09, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Holeeeeeee shit! Alien masterpiece film!

I liked the robocop and neon genesis nod!

Fuck - thats how u make a film. Awesome and worth all the hype.

The main dude was a great actor!
Agreed.
Old 08-15-09, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As what has been already said, this film is a fucking blast.

My likes and dislikes with the film have already been mentioned, so nothing really new to add here. Long story short: it's great to have an action-packed sci-fi film with touches of drama and social commentary thrown into the mix.

What blows my mind is that Neill Blomkamp made this film for $30 million. You can easily see where all the money went and most first time directors would never be able to pull a film like this off. It's sad to think that the Halo movie that could've been with Blomkamp behind the camera and more than five times the budget.
Old 08-15-09, 01:40 AM

A shocker of a film! Didn't know what to expect going in and came out wanting to see it again immediately! Terrifically entertaining and thought-provoking.
Old 08-15-09, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
As what has been already said, this film is a fucking blast.

My likes and dislikes with the film have already been mentioned, so nothing really new to add here. Long story short: it's great to have an action-packed sci-fi film with touches of drama and social commentary thrown into the mix.

What blows my mind is that Neill Blomkamp made this film for $30 million. You can easily see where all the money went and most first time directors would never be able to pull a film like this off. It's sad to think that the Halo movie that could've been with Blomkamp behind the camera and more than five times the budget.
$30 million? Wow, as it had some of the best special efects I have seen and the computer screens actually seemed like what real computer screens might be like in 30 years.
Old 08-15-09, 03:06 AM
Suspended

Bring on District 10, followed by District 11!

E
Old 08-15-09, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
$30 million? Wow, as it had some of the best special efects I have seen and the computer screens actually seemed like what real computer screens might be like in 30 years.
You reminded me of something that bothered me.
Spoiler:
When Wikus sat down in the pilot seat, he had to put his hand in that goo to bring up the command center. But when Christopher sat down it came up immediately.

Did anyone else notice this?
Old 08-15-09, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by dino88
You reminded me of something that bothered me.
Spoiler:
When Wikus sat down in the pilot seat, he had to put his hand in that goo to bring up the command center. But when Christopher sat down it came up immediately.

Did anyone else notice this?
Spoiler:
Well, you don't see Christopher's hand, so I'd assume he had put his hand in right away. If I remember correctly, you just see the upper half of his torso and head and his son as he sits down in the chair.

I just saw the film and loved it, mostly the last huge action sequence. I was having a total geekgasm. I guess its one of the things the critics disliked as there are 2 different feeling halves in this film, similar to Wall-E. The beginning is highly original and full of intrigue. Its also really nice to see these aliens right from the beginning and in full view. No messin' about and teasing us with glimpses. Then I guess you could say it turns cliche as it turns into a bit of a shoot 'em up but not really. I did dislike the turning point
Spoiler:
(I wanted to see them cut him open. I couldn't believe they were gonna do it but I was ready for it)
as it confirmed the story would focus solely on Wikus but come that action scene, OH MY, I was in heaven. Those alien weapons are awesome, if not borrowing heavily from videogames like Half-Life but to me, thats awesome !! It was like a live-action game, depending on your view, thats either incredibly freakin cool or lame. If theres more sequels and that means more mechs, I'll take more of this over Iron Man !! Plus, Copley who plays Wikus turned in a damn awesome performance. From the trailers, I thought he was just an extra who'd be done away with quickly since he was obviously a twit but his character had completely changed and did so convincingly by the end. It became quite intimate and emotional and that totally worked for me though not for a friend but oh well ! At least I thoroughly enjoyed it =]
Old 08-15-09, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
^ No. I'd be fuckin' stoked to see this as a 14-year old. It's not overly violent or excessively gory, just a blast.
While I agree it is a blast, just an amazing movie, PLEASE tell me that last part was tongue in cheek.

Heads get blown off, blown up, bodies get dismembered, a guy's arm gets lopped off and THEN CRUSHED, blood flies everywhere as bodies explode. \

I really think I would hate to see what you consider overly violent.
Old 08-15-09, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^I didn't think it was overly violent either - the exploding that happens isn't nearly as gory as it could have been.
Old 08-15-09, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not sure what someone's definition of "overly violent" is, but this movie was certainly far more violent than the average R-rated movie - even more violent than most torture/horror movies.
Old 08-15-09, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Count me among the crowd that doesn't see what all the fuss is about. A decent sci-fi movie with a remixed premise borrowed from other films.

Tonally I thought it was all over the place, it contained very little in the way of interesting ideas (racism is bad, okay, thanks) and it was disappointing that it turned into an action movie at the end.

Overall, eh.
Old 08-15-09, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i thought it was good but not even close to good movie like the new Star Trek.. i was half and half about it
Old 08-15-09, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Saw this movie last night and really liked it. My girlfriend did not, stating it was the most dull film she's seen since Meet Joe Black.

I do agree that something was missing: the plot could've used a few more elements to make it a bit more interesting or layered. However, Neill Blomkamp is supremely talented and this is a hell of a debut feature: 90% of filmmakers today can't make a world that is as real and livable as his alien-infested Joburg. Yes, there were some inconsistencies (for example, why are there "humans only" signs all over the city when the aliens never leave District 9?) but overall, I liked it. I didn't find the end to be too action-y and it was a nice change of pace. Recommended, and likely to be in the top 20 for the year.
Old 08-15-09, 12:47 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The aliens weren't always restricted to District 9, and I'm sure there are some who sneak out.
Old 08-15-09, 12:47 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

movieman asked me to make the poll up so everyone can vote and it can be added to the summer polls. i asked the other to be merged with this to lessen any confusion.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...ml#post9646373
Old 08-15-09, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

While not exactly on topic, I do not know how Jackson and DelToro intend to cast The Hobbit. I would like to see Ian Holm and Ian McKellan reprise their roles, but I have heard Holm is out. If McKellan is also out, the movie will be a harder sell to me. While he might seem young compared to the book version, I think Sharlto Copley would make a good Bilbo Baggins. His performance in this movie reminded me of those of Merry and Pippin in LOTR, and he seems like a good fit for the role.
Old 08-15-09, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

You know there's a Hobbit thread, right?
Old 08-15-09, 02:06 PM
Suspended

If I wanted Hobbit spoilers, I would have strolled into the Hobbit thread. Please refrain from spreading cast or plot spoilers from other pictures outside of their designated discussion topics. Thanks.

E
Old 08-15-09, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by DeltaSigChi4
If I wanted Hobbit spoilers, I would have strolled into the Hobbit thread. Please refrain from spreading cast or plot spoilers from other pictures outside of their designated discussion topics. Thanks.

E
Where did I post spoilers? I mentioned nothing about the plot itself, and my casting comments were based on pure speculation. I was just making a statement. Sorry to offend.
Old 08-15-09, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Count me among the crowd that doesn't see what all the fuss is about. A decent sci-fi movie with a remixed premise borrowed from other films.

Tonally I thought it was all over the place, it contained very little in the way of interesting ideas (racism is bad, okay, thanks) and it was disappointing that it turned into an action movie at the end.

Overall, eh.
Tonally, you must have been thinking of a movie like Crash, as I didn't see anything like that at all - the repression presented in the film was not just more subtle than what you're giving it credit for, but far more thoughtful. And it seems that by your criticism of "it turned into an action movie at the end", you're holding your (incorrect) expectations of the movie against it.

I personally thought it was a flat-out masterpiece, that had some great ideas and a little bit of everything for everyone presented in a non-fussed over manner, created with the utmost confidence and pure command of craft - easily one of the best films of the decade and the reason I go to movies - I shit all over the new Star Trek movie, which was absolute piffle by comparison.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.