Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

District 9 (Blomkamp, 2009) — Ex-Halo director fleshes out "Alive in Joburg"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

District 9 (Blomkamp, 2009) — Ex-Halo director fleshes out "Alive in Joburg"

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-09, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: District 9 (Blomkamp, 2009) — Ex-Halo director fleshes out "Alive in Joburg"

Originally Posted by tenzor
what did they show at the end of credits? My friends wanted to leave when the movie was over, so I was unable to watch.
Nothing. You're fine.

Loved this movie! I think it just took Star Trek's place as my favorite of the year. The best thing a film can do is take you out of the theater and drag you into their world, and that's exactly what D9 did.
Old 08-14-09, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: District 9 (Blomkamp, 2009) — Ex-Halo director fleshes out "Alive in Joburg"

Originally Posted by DVD-ho78(DTS)
95% 55/3 now
94% now. 75/5.
Old 08-14-09, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In a hypothetical world, can this film be retitled "AREA 51"? Could this movie actually stand as a cinematic adaptation of the video game with just the title change (and if District 9 within the movie was just re-titled Area 51)? And then people would be saying "you see, good movies can be created from video games."
Old 08-14-09, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I saw it and liked it a lot. It kinda went downhill after
Spoiler:
the guy's arm turned alien.
but overall it was very enjoyable. It's one of those movies though where you shouldn't really think about it too hard because things start not making sense. Once I just kinda settled in and took it more at face value I enjoyed it much more. I think Blomkamp has a great eye for visuals but you can tell this is his first feature. The story is rather unfocused and the acting is kinda poor in some places. The good outweighed the bad though. It was good to see a serious sci fi movie made for adults.
Old 08-14-09, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The only thing that bothered me was
Spoiler:
Wikus hitting Christopher in the face with the 2x4 and his desperate attempt to commandeer the ship. What exactly did he think he would be able to do? Granted, he was panicking and not thinking clearly, but that seemed a little out of character and made me dislike him for a bit after that.

Otherwise, a great film that is still resonating with me. I can't wait to watch it again.
Old 08-14-09, 03:27 PM

I just saw this today, and I was blown away. I would say that this is my favorite film of the year right now (I need to see Moon and 500 Days of Summer for it to be official). I would put Christopher and his son up there with Gollum and Davy Jones as far as CG characters go.

I also saw Ponyo, so it was a great day for film for me!

EDIT: I just looked through my film ratings since 2000 and the only Sci-Fi films that I rated highly were this, Minority Report, Children of Men, Sunshine, The Host, Serenity, and WALL-E. Eternal Sunshine, too, if that counts.

Last edited by Aegean2007; 08-14-09 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-14-09, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
The only thing that bothered me was
Spoiler:
Wikus hitting Christopher in the face with the 2x4 and his desperate attempt to commandeer the ship. What exactly did he think he would be able to do? Granted, he was panicking and not thinking clearly, but that seemed a little out of character and made me dislike him for a bit after that.

Otherwise, a great film that is still resonating with me. I can't wait to watch it again.
I guess in a way it just showed that nobody was really a "good" guy in the movie. I mean we don't really know the aliens true intentions, right?

Spoiler:
I kept expecting an ending in which Wikus had unwittingly helped the Christopher bring a larger invading force to Earth or humans being turned into the prawns all over the world or something

I'd give it a solid 4 out of 5 stars though. Highly original. Loved the weaponry. Maybe some DVDTalkers can help me with a few nitpicking problems I had and can convince me to love it even more!

Spoiler:
1. If District 9 was supposed to have 1.8 million prawns we sure didn't see very many. Seems like their would have been masses of them everywhere. I would have knocked that number down to something around a 100,000.

2. How in the world could a what looked to be about 20 teams go door to door to get 1.8 million prawns to sign off on those forms?

3. I just can't buy that all those humans could understand the prawn language! Why weren't there translators? Technology is practically there now for real time translators.

4. Why all the Nigerians in the camp with the Prawns? Why not South Africans looking to make a buck? Are there a lot of illegal Nigerians in South Africa currently?
Old 08-14-09, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MBoyd

Spoiler:
1. If District 9 was supposed to have 1.8 million prawns we sure didn't see very many. Seems like their would have been masses of them everywhere. I would have knocked that number down to something around a 100,000.

2. How in the world could a what looked to be about 20 teams go door to door to get 1.8 million prawns to sign off on those forms?

3. I just can't buy that all those humans could understand the prawn language! Why weren't there translators? Technology is practically there now for real time translators.

4. Why all the Nigerians in the camp with the Prawns? Why not South Africans looking to make a buck? Are there a lot of illegal Nigerians in South Africa currently?
I'm right there with you on a couple of these, but I'll do my best.

Spoiler:

1. I had this same feeling as well. I just assumed that many of them stayed inside their shacks for fearof dealing with MNU or the Nigerians. Perhaps most of the Prawns would rather just be left alone until they can find a way out. That, and budgetary constraints.

2. No idea. Seems like an impossible task if you ask me, but I'm guessing it was all a formality more than anything. MNU only wants the Prawns for research and biological experimentation. I think it was more for show than anything, imo.

3. I'm guessing that a requirement of employment with MNU is learning the Prawn language. I found that a bit jarring as well, but it is reasonable to assume that you'd expect your employees to know the language of the species they interact with most.

4. Not sure about the Nigerian population levels in SA, but I know that Blomkamp based much on this on his experiences living there and on a similar situation that occured in that area. Maybe Nigerians did the same thing in real life to those refugees? Plus, they look crazy as a shithouse nut so I'd be willing to bet MNU would just as soon leave them alone than create an additional problem, and war, by going after them.

Old 08-14-09, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Any problems taking a 14 year old boy to this movie? We let him play Halo, L4D, and Gears of War if that helps.
Old 08-14-09, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ No. I'd be fuckin' stoked to see this as a 14-year old. It's not overly violent or excessively gory, just a blast.
Old 08-14-09, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I liked it a lot....I didn't quite love it though. I thought the documentary framing was working great and then it sort of falls by the wayside - which is fine, but I'd have liked a bit more of that interspersed with the action. I also felt that while at first I was identifying with Wickus, I really started to loathe him, especially when he hits Christopher... I think Christopher and his son are clearly the stars of the movie and really steal the picture. I liked the ambiguous ending and will probably see it again. Very well made but a few issues here and there stopped me from proclaiming best movie of the summer. (Hurt Locker, (500) Days of Summer and Star Trek are still leading the pack IMO). 4/5.
Old 08-14-09, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^I'm surprised that you started to loathe him that late in the film, when he was meant to elicit that response from the film's opening scenes.
Old 08-14-09, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought he was a bit of a naive douche in the beginning, but I can go with that... sort of a David Brent/Michael Scott type... how he got that wife though, I'll never know.
Old 08-14-09, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I thought he was a bit of a naive douche in the beginning, but I can go with that... sort of a David Brent/Michael Scott type... how he got that wife though, I'll never know.
Tin can origami, of course. It's all about the arts and crafts.
Old 08-14-09, 06:45 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

He was meant to be naive and a douche at the beginning. Of course, once MNU threatens to chop him up, you immediately feel bad for him, but I think the scene in question only makes the ending more poignant.
Old 08-14-09, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
It's not overly violent or excessively gory.
Ah, what we've come to.
Old 08-14-09, 07:12 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

Wow, what a great movie! I had the same nitpicks as MBoyd, but they are not fatal to the film. Wikus goes from annoying to likeable to sympathetic to asshole, and a combination at different times. Just like a real person.

What they did with Christopher's son was perfect - I was worried that they'd try to go the cheap sympathy for a kid angle, but they didn't.
Old 08-14-09, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
He was meant to be naive and a douche at the beginning. Of course, once MNU threatens to chop him up, you immediately feel bad for him, but I think the scene in question only makes the ending more poignant.
I didn't immediately feel bad for him. He was a violent racist who said things like "shoot first, ask questions later." It was a much longer and gradual change for me than just jumping to his defense as soon as he ended up on the losing end. He somewhat deserved the torture he received. I think someone who is openly racist, for violence against a particular group and who is knowingly moving these aliens into "concentration camps", is getting off too easy being called just naive and a "douche."
Old 08-14-09, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Holeeeeeee shit! Alien masterpiece film!

I liked the robocop and neon genesis nod!

Fuck - thats how u make a film. Awesome and worth all the hype.

The main dude was a great actor!
Old 08-14-09, 07:50 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Holeeeeeee shit! Alien masterpiece film!

I liked the robocop and neon genesis nod!

Fuck - thats how u make a film. Awesome and worth all the hype.

The main dude was a great actor!
my thoughts exactly! on a side note, i LOVED some of the weapons. Especially...
Spoiler:
the gravity/magnetic one! I almost died when he used a pig as a weapon

I do agree on the main character being flawed though. I didn't quite understand why he nailed Christopher with the board, maybe because he
Spoiler:
thought he could go to the ship with him for treatment right then and there? The possibility of three years left him feeling like he was being jerked around? With MNU right outside the door he probably just flipped.

I didn't immediately feel bad for him. He was a violent racist who said things like "shoot first, ask questions later." It was a much longer and gradual change for me than just jumping to his defense as soon as he ended up on the losing end. He somewhat deserved the torture he received. I think someone who is openly racist, for violence against a particular group and who is knowingly moving these aliens into "concentration camps", is getting off too easy being called just naive and a "douche."
I didn't really get that he was for violence. In fact he seemed to be quite against it really. He didn't want to go in with so many soldiers and said "shoot first, ask questions later" to the camera in reference to the military jackasses. He did use the term "prawn" quite a bit and was mouthy about their race in general. Then again he's around the age where he didn't remember a time before they were there. It seems that the populace in general was bitter towards them hanging around, so I suppose in that type of environment it's only natural that there would be some degree of racism (or speciesism?). Especially if it's all you've ever known.

Last edited by Dragon Fly; 08-14-09 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-14-09, 09:17 PM

great movie. best film of the year for me. the most realistic alien movie i could conceive. can't wait for the next one. the alien weaponry was insane. would be a shame if crap like g.i. joe earns more than this masterpiece.
Old 08-14-09, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Saw it. This movie is what good sci-fi is all about. After having had some time to think about it, this might be the best movie of the year next to UP, though they are both totally different in nature. This movie really had a David Cronenberg type vibe to it, but still utterly original. Good story, great subtext, and lots of action to boot. I hope we get a sequel, my guess is that if one does happen, it will be in about three years.

Question:
Spoiler:
is it to be inferred that the prawn at the end is Wikus? I would think so, as he was making the flower symbol and seemed to have some of the bandages still on his arm. Is it possible that what happened to him has happened to other humans?
Old 08-14-09, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

One of the best movies I've seen this year, although the shaky cam got me a bit seasick feeling (might have been my breakfast though). This is turning out a GREAT year for science fiction with Moon, Star Trek and this. (I won't dignify Transformers 2 and GI Joe by calling them science fiction).
Old 08-14-09, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Area 51, refugees, Robocop, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and The Fly - what a great mix!

Last year, I had a thought in my head - where are the South African movies - just Gods Must Be Crazy and Tsotsi? Well, I can add another one to the list...

I also loved the Prawn language which mixed in Swahili/bush clicking...The main dude also was not unlikable at all even in the beginning of the film - he was just a regular guy, sad sack, almost Boratish. He is a great, realistic protagonist.

I snuck into G.I. Joe (for the second time) and practically fell asleep. The difference between a perfect action movie (District 9) and a fair one - G.I. Joe - is massive.
Old 08-14-09, 11:03 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Question:
Spoiler:
is it to be inferred that the prawn at the end is Wikus? I would think so, as he was making the flower symbol and seemed to have some of the bandages still on his arm. Is it possible that what happened to him has happened to other humans?
Spoiler:
Yes, it's meant to be Wikus. And I don't think it's probable that other humans became prawns, because Wikus was infected by a highly concentrated fluid that took 20 years to collect, and only comes from existing prawn technology.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.