DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   District 9 (Blomkamp, 2009) — Ex-Halo director fleshes out "Alive in Joburg" (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/554319-district-9-blomkamp-2009-%97-ex-halo-director-fleshes-out-alive-joburg.html)

Dr. DVD 08-08-09 08:39 PM

Re: District 9 (Blomkamp, 2009) — Ex-Halo director fleshes out "Alive in Joburg"

Not exactly on topic, but doesn't Peter Jackson own Bungie and the rights to make a Halo movie if he wishes?

This movie looks cool BTW.

Solid Snake 08-08-09 10:39 PM

Re: District 9 (Blomkamp, 2009) — Ex-Halo director fleshes out "Alive in Joburg"

I'm not sure about all that. I know for sure he doesn't own Bungie. Doesn't Microsoft own it?

Elpresidentepez 08-09-09 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD (Post 9631769)
Not exactly on topic, but doesn't Peter Jackson own Bungie and the rights to make a Halo movie if he wishes?

This movie looks cool BTW.

Jackson doesn't own bungie or the rights to the movie. I believe Microsoft owns Bungie and the rights to the movie. Jackson was producing the movie and he wanted Blomkamp to direct, but eventually the film died in development. From a couple of interviews Blomkamp and Jackson admitted District 9 came out of the failure of the Halo movie, which after you guys see it; i'm sure you'll agree it's for the best.

anomynous 08-09-09 12:23 AM

Microsoft doesn't own Bungie anymore, but they do own the Halo property

Boba Fett 08-09-09 04:21 AM

Has anyone called the number on the posters outside theaters? 1-866-666-6001

The 'report' non-human option is there clever way of getting free ad soundbites, however, if you press
'0' to speak to an operator, you're in for a treat.

Ropes Pierre 08-09-09 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 9596971)
Quote:Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
No Alien Balls, no sale.

That is the most random reply I have ever received.

"Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen Testicles"

Dr. DVD 08-09-09 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Boba Fett (Post 9632169)
Has anyone called the number on the posters outside theaters? 1-866-666-6001

The 'report' non-human option is there clever way of getting free ad soundbites, however, if you press
'0' to speak to an operator, you're in for a treat.

That is clever, I have to admit!

Rival11 08-09-09 01:14 PM

Ha - dialing that number was awesome. I love marketing like this. Definitely press 0 when prompted with the choice.

islandclaws 08-12-09 01:55 AM

Just got home from a screening of this. I'll post more thoughts later, but quick synop: 4.5/5, fantastic film, awesome effects, great story, easily in my top 3 this year.

AnonomusBob15 08-12-09 11:08 AM

I am pretty stoked that this is an R rated film. Blood and guts are cool. I would also be more hesitant if the movie was at the hour and half mark, I like development in my sci-fi.

read the review in Rolling Stone, which was orgasmic, as everything Travers reviews is, but still, just because they say it's good, doesn't mean it's bad.

DVDho78DTS 08-12-09 01:33 PM

Haven't been to the movies since T4 but that drought will end if I see this next Wednesday. :D Will report back if I make it there.

Still 100% at RT right now too. 20 Fresh/0 Rotten

RichC2 08-12-09 01:46 PM

Near universal acclaim on rt so far, Armond White being the noted exception ("It's exploitive, insensitive to South Africa, Peter Jackson is a juvenile, blah blah blah.") Oh, and then he praises District B13 - a movie I enjoy but only on a surface level - as doing social commentary correctly.

Sondheim 08-12-09 01:49 PM

Armond doesn't like it? I can now almost guarantee that I'll like or love it.

DVDho78DTS 08-12-09 01:53 PM

Crap, I jinxed it. Ah well, it was bound to get a negative review sooner than later.

HN 08-12-09 02:44 PM

Positive reviews on RT - 0 comment, 0 comment, 2 comments, 0 comments, 3 comments, 12 comments, 0 comments....

Negative review - 90 comments and counting... :lol:

superdeluxe 08-12-09 02:56 PM

Another case I am sure of doing a negative review to get attention.

eta:

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/1897/...isntinsane.jpg

chris_sc77 08-12-09 03:01 PM

^ PLease please please tell me that list is not correct and is just a joke.

superdeluxe 08-12-09 03:06 PM

From the review:

produced by the intellectually juvenile New Zealander Peter Jackson.
lol wtf. This from the guy that liked Dance flick and War inc?

superdeluxe 08-12-09 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77 (Post 9639501)
^ PLease please please tell me that list is not correct and is just a joke.

Well I am reviewing his reviews from the bottom up..He hated District 9..

He had this to say about 500 days:

It is so annoyingly cute about the smartness of middle-class young white people in love that one quickly realizes it is only about that—not love nor passion as everyone experiences it

superdeluxe 08-12-09 03:16 PM

Here is a fun article (His look back on 2008):

http://www.nypress.com/article-19237...list-2008.html

Transporter 3 BETTER THAN The Dark Knight Olivier Megaton, Jason Statham and Luc Besson reinvent the action movie as kinetic art, but impressionable teenagers mistook Chris Nolan’s nihilistic graphic novel for kool fun.

CJ7 BETTER THAN Wall-E
Stephen Chow endowed a poor kid’s action figure with numinous potential (a tribute to the still-extraordinary E.T.), while Pixar twisted its standard formula into ugly, end-ofhistory cynicism.

Shotgun Stories BETTER THAN The Wrestler Jeff Nichols’ moving Red State family feud tragedy was ignored by Blue State critics who prefer white-trash WWF stereotypes to encourage their sense of class superiority.

RocknRolla BETTER THAN Slumdog Millionaire Guy Ritchie comes into his manhood with this rich, Dickensian gangster comedy, while Danny Boyle gives colonialist Britain the last laugh in his epic Indian game-show travesty—a defilement of what Dickens revealed about character and society, humor and pathos.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull BETTER THAN Iron Man Steven Spielberg’s par excellence genre expertise wrung fresh amazement out of the Indy Jones franchise; it exposed Iron Man’s dung-like banality.

Brent L 08-12-09 03:23 PM

His thoughts on Little Man and Norbit are just...well...insane.

I would legit like to know how he still has a job as a reviewer.

Sondheim 08-12-09 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe (Post 9639538)
Here is a fun article (His look back on 2008):

http://www.nypress.com/article-19237...list-2008.html

I saw that list when it first came out and almost spit my drink out when I read this:

Twilight BETTER THAN Let the Right One In Catherine Hardwicke finds her métier in an outsiders’ romance disguised as a vampire movie; she turns Stephenie Meyer’s book series into a Brontë-esque vision, especially compared to the dismal Scandinavian J-horror rip-off.

superdeluxe 08-12-09 03:35 PM

So check this out.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/author...&sortby=tmeter

Look at all the rotten reviews yikes.

superdeluxe 08-12-09 03:43 PM

loved these classics such as:

Bedtime stories:

That Skeeter benefits from what he does for his niece and nephew is an object lesson in responsibility and benevolence -- and it blesses the audience, too."
Confessions of a Shopaholic:

" Australian director P.J. Hogan is one of the most original contemporary comic filmmakers -- better than the chick-flick genre ever had.
"

Dance Flick:

" It isn’t highbrow -- or encumbered by scruples -- but the Wayanses retain their vulgar, adolescent derision of sex, class and race. In this bow down to Hollywood millennium, their irreverence is almost subversive." —

DeanoBKN 08-12-09 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by HN (Post 9639458)
Positive reviews on RT - 0 comment, 0 comment, 2 comments, 0 comments, 3 comments, 12 comments, 0 comments....

Negative review - 90 comments and counting... :lol:

Reminds me of when all the silly fanboys attached the first negative review of The Dark Knight. :lol: