DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   District 9 (Blomkamp, 2009) Ex-Halo director fleshes out "Alive in Joburg" (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/554319-district-9-blomkamp-2009-%97-ex-halo-director-fleshes-out-alive-joburg.html)

JumpCutz 08-04-09 01:38 PM

Re: District 9 (Blomkamp, 2009) Ex-Halo director fleshes out "Alive in Joburg"

Sounds like a great night 12thmonkey. :thumbsup:

Have fun...and report back if possible.

TomOpus 08-04-09 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey (Post 9619985)
I've got a pass for an advance screening of District 9 tomorrow night (08/05), with a Q&A from director Neill Blomkamp and actor Sharlto Copley afterwards.

I'm a little concerned the number of passes outnumbers the actual seats in the theater, so I hope I can make it there in time to get a seat.

If I get in I'll post a spoiler-free review on Thursday....

They always overbook those things. I'd get there at least 2 hours early... lucky bastard :)

Pointyskull 08-04-09 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 9620631)
They always overbook those things. I'd get there at least 2 hours early... lucky bastard :)

Lucky if I get in, that is. We shall see...

Pointyskull 08-06-09 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey (Post 9619985)
I've got a pass for an advance screening of District 9 tomorrow night (08/05), with a Q&A from director Neill Blomkamp and actor Sharlto Copley afterwards.

Saw it last night, and all the hype and buzz is well deserved. It's really a fast-paced flick, one of those films where what you would typically anticipate to be the "big" final reel moment just suddenly happens, and then there's even more story going on after that.

Much of it was shot documentary-style, so the shaky cam element is a near constant. But like Cloverfield it's there to give a sort of manic immediacy to the storyline - like it or don't, I suppose. I'm curious to see how this will play with the mainstream crowd.

My biggest surprise/concern was that a potentially HUGE stumbling block - something that in a lesser film would have turned District 9 into a completely different film - is handled exceptionally well. It's one of those plot devices that really could have soured the experience, but Blomkamp manages to avoid the pitfall and make it work.

Excellent stuff...

Dr Mabuse 08-06-09 10:01 AM

I think I may be stoked.

UngersPride 08-06-09 12:21 PM

the shaky cam element is a near constant.
Say it ain't so....

Enough of the shaky cam already....

I'll be avoiding this one.

Solid Snake 08-06-09 12:46 PM

Good filmmakers can utilize docu cam style work if it's used well. So few good cam work with that style is there. From what the trailers have shown looks to be pretty good. Not the jerky OMG can't see shit style. Looks more like City of God kind of Cam work...

Elpresidentepez 08-06-09 09:21 PM

FYI I'd avoid the newest issue of Entertainment Weekly. It has District 9 on the cover and it has a fairly out-of-context spoilery image. Surprisingly it's the main story with "Why District9 will blow your mind."

chris_sc77 08-06-09 09:45 PM

This is starting to look like the movie Cloverfield should have been. Just saying CLoverfield was one of my most hated films last year but this looks enjoyable.
Im not watching any clips or trailers beyond the teaser trailer but it sounds promising. R rated, 112 minutes, adults instead of teens in the lead. Now thats more of what I am talking about.

JumpCutz 08-06-09 11:50 PM

Shit...it's only 112 minutes? Pass.

Solid Snake 08-06-09 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77 (Post 9627996)
This is starting to look like the movie Cloverfield should have been. Just saying CLoverfield was one of my most hated films last year but this looks enjoyable.
Im not watching any clips or trailers beyond the teaser trailer but it sounds promising. R rated, 112 minutes, adults instead of teens in the lead. Now thats more of what I am talking about.

I don't think you'll like it. It's under 2 hours.

Rob V 08-07-09 07:32 AM

Shit...it's only 112 minutes? Pass.
That's nearly 2 hours -- how long does a movie need to be in order to be viewing worthy?

Pointyskull 08-07-09 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Rob V (Post 9628452)
That's nearly 2 hours -- how long does a movie need to be in order to be viewing worthy?

It's a fast 112 minutes, too. There are really no dead spots...

whoopdido 08-07-09 07:51 AM

Are you saying that Cloverfield had teens as the leads? They were all out of college if I remember correctly.

Pointyskull 08-07-09 07:54 AM

Not to go off topic, but I still don't get all the hatred for Cloverfield.
I thought that was a fun giant-monster-runs-amok flick. :shrug:

JumpCutz 08-07-09 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Rob V (Post 9628452)

Ask chris__sc77 -wink-

Solid Snake 08-07-09 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey (Post 9628484)
Not to go off topic, but I still don't get all the hatred for Cloverfield.
I thought that was a fun giant-monster-runs-amok flick. :shrug:

I liked it for what it was...a b movie monster flick. I think too many people took it seriously. It's just like what you said. For that type of film it was pretty damn cool.

whoopdido 08-07-09 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 9628542)
I liked it for what it was...a b movie monster flick. I think too many people took it seriously. It's just like what you said. For that type of film it was pretty damn cool.

I'm confused how people COULD take it seriously. I thought it was sweet ass, but it was never intended to be thought provoking.

Solid Snake 08-07-09 10:27 AM

Yeah, totally. Look we're never going to have an iconic monster like Godzilla (or originally and commonly known as Gojira in Japan)...but it's a monster destroying NYC. You don't know why, you don't where it came from, etc etc...it's about surviving with all this crazy shit happening that's important to the film. It did it's job. It's a monster destroying shit up in NYC and how people in NYC are trying to fucking survive that attack. It's not supposed to this inner depth. It's a basic monster movie done well.

Dr Mabuse 08-07-09 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by JumpCutz (Post 9628497)
Ask chris__sc77 -wink-

I got the joke, if no one else did.

Supermallet 08-07-09 03:21 PM

But I don't get it, I thought you wanted more realistic movies? Aliens aren't realistic. Get with the program!

Giantrobo 08-07-09 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Elpresidentepez (Post 9613857)
Character development?

I was merely comparing the film to Cloverfield (which I liked). Cloverfield IS more of a monster movie, and the characters spend most of the movie looking scared and making snarky comments about it. D9 has two main characters and we get an enormous sense of their motivations and what they're about.

And no one complained about Cloverfield spending too much time "fleshing out" it's characters. People (not me) complained they spent too much time at a douchey yuppy party. That's not character development.

And I, based on the complaints I read about here on dvdtalk concerning Cloverfield, was merely asking what you meant. No crime there right?

My post wasn't meant to offend you; and contrary to Rivall's ridiculous comment, I was not just taking a grain of salt and running with it. The "character development" thing is used around here on dvdtalk all the time. It just seems to me that it means different things to different people so I'm always curious about what it means to people when they bring it up.

chris_sc77 08-07-09 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 9629713)
But I don't get it, I thought you wanted more realistic movies? Aliens aren't realistic. Get with the program!

Oh i certainly do. i've had enough of these damn computerized aliens and talking animals and spaceships and etc. etc......but this is rated R and thats does still mean a lot to me. Especially in the crowded generally kid-friendly summer.

OldBoy 08-08-09 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77 (Post 9630308)
Oh i certainly do. i've had enough of these damn computerized aliens and talking animals and spaceships and etc. etc......but this is rated R and thats does still mean a lot to me. Especially in the crowded generally kid-friendly summer.

pity...you must miss out on a whole lot of good cinema.

islandclaws 08-08-09 07:26 PM

Just found out that my buddy and I are confirmed for the free screening of this at the Arclight on Tues. I'm fucking stoked!

Report to follow.