DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   District 9 (Blomkamp, 2009) — Ex-Halo director fleshes out "Alive in Joburg" (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/554319-district-9-blomkamp-2009-%97-ex-halo-director-fleshes-out-alive-joburg.html)

Rob V 07-29-09 09:10 AM

Re: District 9 (Blomkamp, 2009) — Ex-Halo director fleshes out "Alive in Joburg"

I'm getting a nice Cloverfield vibe from this flick which is a damn good thing.
Was thinking the exact same thing.

Solid Snake 07-29-09 05:35 PM

Re: District 9 (Blomkamp, 2009) — Ex-Halo director fleshes out "Alive in Joburg"

Some new info..

<object width="450" height="292"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/12779"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/12779" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="292" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

SteelWill 07-29-09 07:12 PM

I'm getting wowzers in my trousers for this movie.

Rival11 07-29-09 08:55 PM

Thanks Solid for posting that first look - this movie looks fucking wild.

Lara Means 07-30-09 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Rival11 (Post 9598211)
I'm getting a nice Cloverfield vibe from this flick which is a damn good thing.

Uh no its not because Cloverfield was garbage.

JumpCutz 07-30-09 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Lara Means (Post 9608382)

Uh, actually a lot of people here like Cloverfield and that's a good thing.

:toast:

Zen Peckinpah 07-30-09 03:12 PM

Looks like Aliens meets Do the Right Thing. Very intrigued by this one.

chris_sc77 07-30-09 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by lara means (Post 9608382)
uh no its not because cloverfield was garbage.

+1

Rob V 07-30-09 05:10 PM

And you're 100% sure District 9 is a sure fire hit with zero issues? It looks good, and IMO (that being the key), Cloverfield was very good.

JumpCutz 07-31-09 11:48 AM

Massawyrm's rave review at AICN...

:thumbsup: Can't wait.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41892

Capt Planit 07-31-09 11:49 AM

looks awesome, I cant wait

Matthew Ackerly 07-31-09 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by JumpCutz (Post 9611471)

Comparing it to Aliens, The Thing, and 2001?

That's hyperbole if I ever heard it.

Hopefully it is that good.

superdeluxe 07-31-09 01:38 PM

I have a massive hard on for this movie.

redrum 07-31-09 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by JumpCutz (Post 9611471)

wow shouldn't of read that, crazy hyped for it now

van der graaf 07-31-09 03:54 PM

I was at the District 9 panel at Comic-Con last Friday, and let me just say: This film looks f*cking awesome! My expectations going in were FAR exceeded by the footage they showed.

TomOpus 07-31-09 04:25 PM

While I was waiting in the Hall H line at Comic-Con on Saturday, the guy behind me had been to the screening the night before. He couldn't say enough about the movie. He said it's sooooo much better than what they showed in the trailers. The footage they showed at Con backs this up.

Peter mentioned that this is the main actor's first movie. Pretty amazing acting when you see some of his emotional scenes. And the movie only cost $30 million? Hollywood should be ashamed.

Elpresidentepez 07-31-09 07:24 PM

I went the Comic Con screening. The Cloverfield comparisons are fair, but I'd say D9 fleshes out it's characters far more. Plus, D9 has a much stronger plot. This is coming from someone who enjoyed Cloverfield. I won't spoil anything, because a.) I think it'll be a far better experience not knowing and b.) Peter Jackson and Blomkamp, who introduced the film asked us not to. It's hard to talk about the film without revealing any spoilers so I'll just say that it's pretty fantastic. I don't know if I'll say that it's to the quality of Aliens or The Thing...it could be...but I'm going to need to see it a few more times before I can make that kind of comparison.

Maxflier 07-31-09 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by lara means (Post 9608382)
uh no its not because cloverfield was garbage.

Originally Posted by chris_sc77 (Post 9609692)
+1

Cloverfield kicked all kinds of ass.

Solid Snake 07-31-09 08:38 PM

I don't see the comparison really between Cloverfield and D9. One is a monster flick and the other is not that. Anyway...I want to see this like crazy!

Giantrobo 07-31-09 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Elpresidentepez (Post 9612960)
I went the Comic Con screening. The Cloverfield comparisons are fair, but I'd say <b>D9 fleshes out it's characters far more.</b> Plus, D9 has a much stronger plot. This is coming from someone who enjoyed Cloverfield.

What does that even mean? I thought one of the chief Bitching Points from some of the critics around here was that "Cloverfield" actually spent way too much time "fleshing out" characters?

How can anyone say any film fleshed out its characters more than the Character Fleshing Champ "Cloverfield"? :lol:

dsa_shea 08-01-09 12:59 AM

After reading the talk in this thread this went from a movie that i was interested in to a must see. I'll be there on opening day.

Rob V 08-01-09 10:21 AM

This has be in 100% for a theater viewing -- which I rarely get to do these days.

Elpresidentepez 08-01-09 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 9613342)
What does that even mean? I thought one of the chief Bitching Points from some of the critics around here was that "Cloverfield" actually spent way too much time "fleshing out" characters?

How can anyone say any film fleshed out its characters more than the Character Fleshing Champ "Cloverfield"? :lol:

Character development?

I was merely comparing the film to Cloverfield (which I liked). Cloverfield IS more of a monster movie, and the characters spend most of the movie looking scared and making snarky comments about it. D9 has two main characters and we get an enormous sense of their motivations and what they're about.

And no one complained about Cloverfield spending too much time "fleshing out" it's characters. People (not me) complained they spent too much time at a douchey yuppy party. That's not character development.

Rival11 08-01-09 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Elpresidentepez (Post 9613857)
Character development?

I was merely comparing the film to Cloverfield (which I liked). Cloverfield IS more of a monster movie, and the characters spend most of the movie looking scared and making snarky comments about it. D9 has two main characters and we get an enormous sense of their motivations and what they're about.

And no one complained about Cloverfield spending too much time "fleshing out" it's characters. People (not me) complained they spent too much time at a douchey yuppy party. That's not character development.

I knew where you were coming from - this forum has gotten a lot worse lately with people who take a grain of salt and run with it.

About the yuppy party in Cloverfield - it almost made me turn the film off upon first viewing - I just can't realte to douche bags like that (sorry if anyone here falls into the Cloverfield yuppy category as well) but once the film got rolling......I don't mind watching the party scenes anymore, in fact I kind of like them. I mean look what they end up going through. Sometimes I think this was even done on purpose because of how out of place it is. Maybe they just didn't want to do the standard rough-neck taking down the monster bit?

Pointyskull 08-04-09 01:24 PM

I've got a pass for an advance screening of District 9 tomorrow night (08/05), with a Q&A from director Neill Blomkamp and actor Sharlto Copley afterwards.

I'm a little concerned the number of passes outnumbers the actual seats in the theater, so I hope I can make it there in time to get a seat.

If I get in I'll post a spoiler-free review on Thursday....