Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

District 9 (Blomkamp, 2009) — Ex-Halo director fleshes out "Alive in Joburg"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

District 9 (Blomkamp, 2009) — Ex-Halo director fleshes out "Alive in Joburg"

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-09, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: District 9 (Blomkamp, 2009) — Ex-Halo director fleshes out "Alive in Joburg"

Originally Posted by slop101
That those movies are better than D9 - Thirst (which I just saw) is pretty great (though not one of Park's better films), but none of those are even in the same league as D9, and saying that they're "way way better" is utterly laughable.
A matter of opinion. To say that they are "not even in the same league" is laughable. Star Trek, 500 Days, & Thirst are far superior IMO, & none had distractions or major flaws that took me out of the movie experience that D9 did. D9 has huge flaws IMO, exasperated b/c it's a film that tries so hard to be grounded in modern day realism (as much as one can for an alien movie), politics & social decay. D9 is dreadfully negative, has annoying editing & camera work at times, & for a movie that tries so hard to set it's self in realism, has tremendous plot holes & inconsistencies. I liked it, it has very good qualities as well, but it's not even close to the best of the year & what is a good laugh are people saying it's a masterpiece.
Old 08-15-09, 09:28 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Re: District 9 (Blomkamp, 2009) — Ex-Halo director fleshes out "Alive in Joburg"

I wonder how some of you can ever just enjoy a movie. I know I'm not critical enough, but damn!
Old 08-15-09, 09:29 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

500 Days had such poor filmmaking and was utterly unfocused. It is definitely laughable to say it's even near the same league as District 9.
Old 08-15-09, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Saw it, loved it. Sure there are better films this summer/year. But I'd still say it was one of the year's best. My favorites so far are still:

"The Hurt Locker"
"500 Days of Summer"
"Star Trek"
"Sin Nombre"
"District 9"
"Up"
"Drag Me to Hell"
Old 08-15-09, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
500 Days had such poor filmmaking and was utterly unfocused. It is definitely laughable to say it's even near the same league as District 9.
I say it.

I don't laugh.

Old 08-15-09, 10:16 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

But I do.
Old 08-15-09, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
A few other gripes I had:

Spoiler:
It didn't make sense to me that in one scene they say they are having complaints because of all the prauns that were killed recently. Earlier in the movie they didn't seem to have any problem killing them and later on they are using them as target practice for alien weapons.

MNU didn't want them killed while there were cameras watching. They said in the film that human rights groups were mad and protesting them about the way they were treating them.

Spoiler:
Why did the African's who encountered Wilkus after he escaped not seem to care? They said you couldn't go anywhere without seeing a photo of his face and they acknowledge that they know who he is. Why not try to get some ransom money for him?

I guess all of the people at the food shop panicing and running away from him and the workers pulling a shotgun on him were "not caring about it".

Spoiler:
Why, if the alien guns are so valueable, do the rebels leave them on the floor? The fact that Wilkus could just fall to the ground and have his easy escape (alien gun) in reach is just a little too convienent.

Because only the aliens can use them. They are useless to humans. So why not have them laying around?
Old 08-15-09, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Sessa17
A matter of opinion. To say that they are "not even in the same league" is laughable. Star Trek, 500 Days, & Thirst are far superior IMO, & none had distractions or major flaws that took me out of the movie experience that D9 did.
It's funny you mention Star Trek, as that's a movie that I thought was loaded with distracting flaws that took me out of it. Maybe I just noticed them more with ST than in D9, but while it was a fun enough movie, it's more of a forgettable distraction when compared to D9.
Old 08-15-09, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Just saw it - loved it. Best movie of the year for me behind The Hurt Locker and Star Trek. Original, well-acted, funny, scary, shocking, and just plain cool.

Loved it, had no issues with the plot (I think it was all very clear) and can't wait to pick up the Blu-ray.
Old 08-16-09, 01:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Christopher Johnson and his son were the highlights, though the whole movie was really excellent
Old 08-16-09, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mopower
I guess all of the people at the food shop panicing and running away from him and the workers pulling a shotgun on him were "not caring about it".
I'm referring to the scene where Wilkus goes to buy meat from them. They know he's the most wanted man in the world. It just seems odd that they don't care.

Originally Posted by Mopower
Because only the aliens can use them. They are useless to humans. So why not have them laying around?
The film makes it very clear that the alien weapons are of great interest to them. Maybe they do leave them lying on the floor and don't react when people try to use them. I'm not saying its impossible but it is lazy film making.
Old 08-16-09, 02:42 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Personally, & clearly it doesn't bother anyone else here, I don't like a film that places mankind as evil, & the aliens as basically the good guys. In fact, with the exception of Christopher & his son, there is essentially nobody in this movie to cheer for.
It's interesting how you divide up the characters into 2 basic camps: good and evil, despite everyone's motivations are based on different levels of self interest. That's one if the reasons I liked Wikus as the protagonist - he's the "Everyman" who has no idea what in the heck to do and conducts himself mainly in various degrees of self interest for most of the movie.

There's no one to cheer for because there really isn't anyone you're actually suppose to cheer for. You say Christopher is a "good guy" but other than wanting to go home, what in the heck are his intentions plus if he were one of the "leaders" on the ship, what happened?

I know I have zero chance of convincing you of anything, so I won't even try, but it's no wonder you are so vehement against the movie by placing such simple tropes of "good" and "evil" to what's going on.
Old 08-16-09, 02:49 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
I'm referring to the scene where Wilkus goes to buy meat from them. They know he's the most wanted man in the world. It just seems odd that they don't care.
How do you know that they know? Maybe the fucking gang butcher on prawn duty inside District Nine doesn't watch BBC World News. Or maybe he doesn't read the journal from cover-to-cover everyday. From what I understood, it appeared as he was surprised and amused that a Caucasian man was in line for some real meat in his disgusting kiosk. He may not have been subscribed to the CNN podcast.

The film makes it very clear that the alien weapons are of great interest to them. Maybe they do leave them lying on the floor and don't react when people try to use them. I'm not saying its impossible but it is lazy film making.
It appears to me that they had a problem with real estate. It's not like they created District Nine with intentions for spacious warehouses to be built in an industrial coded area. They were short on storage, and didn't want the authorities watching them remove massive stockpiles of arms out of D9, so they just kept them there.

E
Old 08-16-09, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I loved this movie. I had to sit one seat back from the front row. I completely forgot about the pain in my next from looking up for 2 hours and was lost in this movie. The acting was spot on. The special effects were great. I thought the world was believable enough once you except a few things.

I didn't see anyone address the question on why some aliens are smart enough to do things the first ones couldn't. I think the movie hinted at this but didn't come right out and say it. It was mentioned that the aliens that were rescued were workers, not very smart and only good for minor labor. I believe they are kind of like ants where some ants are born to be workers, some soldiers, some farmers, and some queens. Even though all of rescued aliens were workers they were still able to produce any type of alien. So I believe a few scientist aliens were born. The little boy alien was probably one of these smart aliens. The knowledge is probably past down the same way ants do it, somehow they are born with the knowledge they need to know.

Last edited by Baron Of Hell; 08-16-09 at 03:04 AM.
Old 08-16-09, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Another plot hole that drove me nuts was. . .

Humans had pretty much no problem understanding the aliens, & vice versa, which in itself annoyed me. But what really makes no sense in this movie is that in the end
Spoiler:
when the mothership leaves, everyone is crowding in the streets cheering, celebrating them finally leaving. So, if the humans & aliens can clearly communicate with each other, & the humans want the aliens gone, AND the aliens new how to leave & had the capability to do so, they just needed to gather fuel, why didn't the aliens just explain that to the humans, the humans could have helped them gather it, & then that's that.
Spoiler:
I don't think the average Alien knew there was a chance of going back home so how could they communicate this? It seems the average Prawn was just that....Average. Christopher was clearly far more intelligent than most. Shit, even his son had advanced intelligence. But then again, there's a scene in the trailers where an Alien is telling them that they do want to go home that was apparently cut. At least I don't remember seeing it. I think the alien's experience here on Earth was a nice mirror of what happens in most Ghettos.....

Last edited by Giantrobo; 08-16-09 at 03:06 AM.
Old 08-16-09, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by greydt
It's interesting how you divide up the characters into 2 basic camps: good and evil
I didn't divide the characters, I said that there were no good characters in this film, only that the aliens were almost portrayed as such.

You say Christopher is a "good guy" but other than wanting to go home, what in the heck are his intentions plus if he were one of the "leaders" on the ship, what happened?
He is the closest thing in the film that would be a "good guy", with his portrayal as a protective father as well as a somewhat innocent personality.

I know I have zero chance of convincing you of anything, so I won't even try, but it's no wonder you are so vehement against the movie by placing such simple tropes of "good" and "evil" to what's going on.
I don't really see where I once claimed this movie was in simple "tropes of good & evil". My constant gripe with the film, is that there is only one side to humanity in this film, that is evil. It doesn't matter at what lever, corporate, military, political, or the every man, they are all evil in this film. Clearly, people here enjoy villainous portrayal of mankind, my own personal tastes, I don't care for such a heavy handed, pessimistic view of mankind.
Old 08-16-09, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
It's funny you mention Star Trek, as that's a movie that I thought was loaded with distracting flaws that took me out of it. Maybe I just noticed them more with ST than in D9, but while it was a fun enough movie, it's more of a forgettable distraction when compared to D9.
I had never seen Star Trek prior to this relaunch of the franchise. I felt all the movie tried to be was a fun space adventure to get a new generation of fans into a potential updated franchise, & it succeeded with me. It is not a film trying to be a heavy handed sci-fi message film, like District 9, it makes no attempt to ground itself in any type of realism, so when a film like D9 does so,
IMO, it better be as smart as it attempts to be, & clean up it's inconstancies, of which D9 does not do.
Old 08-16-09, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't really see where I once claimed this movie was in simple "tropes of good & evil". My constant gripe with the film, is that there is only one side to humanity in this film, that is evil. It doesn't matter at what lever, corporate, military, political, or the every man, they are all evil in this film.
Even the human protesters that were against MNU involvement? The ones with signs that said "Aliens are my friends"?
Old 08-16-09, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As mentioned earlier, the reason they didn't leave earlier is that all the WORKER aliens are pretty much idiot thugs. Their leaders die off and these idiots don't even think to GET OFF THE SHIP when they're dying of malnourishment etc., so it's totally believable to me that they don't know how to synthesize fuel from that green fluid. Christopher Johnson is clearly an exception and much smarter than the rest - it takes 20 years to get enough fuel because like a litre of green fluid from their tech yielded a single drop of the fuel.

Also, the MNU badass guy does try to shoot down the command console ship when it's being beamed up to the mothership - many times, but Wikus stops him, even catching a missle out of the air (and the rest of MNU isn't interested in blowing it up because they were only ever after Wikus).

Sure, humanity for the most part is painted as intolerant, but when they say the Prawns liked to cause riots and derail trains for leisure, can you blame them? It's taken to the extreme and a lot of the way they are treated is horrific, but the movie definitely tries to let us know that some of these Prawns definitely have a mean streak to them.

Seeing it a second time there are lots of great little details here and there that really make the story work extremely well. I'd definitely bump my rating up to 4.5 now.

Last edited by mdc3000; 08-16-09 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-16-09, 10:21 AM

I've never been much of a sci-fi fan, but after this and Moon I'm gonna hafta explore the genre a bit more.
Old 08-16-09, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

I had never seen Star Trek prior to this relaunch of the franchise. I felt all the movie tried to be was a fun space adventure to get a new generation of fans into a potential updated franchise, & it succeeded with me. It is not a film trying to be a heavy handed sci-fi message film, like District 9, it makes no attempt to ground itself in any type of realism, so when a film like D9 does so,
IMO, it better be as smart as it attempts to be, & clean up it's inconstancies, of which D9 does not do.
So, basically, you're holding your own expectations against it; ST was exactly what you expected from it, and therefore it was great. D9 was not what you expected and/or failed to meet your expectations, so it's not so great. That's how the above reads.
Old 08-16-09, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
I didn't see anyone address the question on why some aliens are smart enough to do things the first ones couldn't. I think the movie hinted at this but didn't come right out and say it. It was mentioned that the aliens that were rescued were workers, not very smart and only good for minor labor. I believe they are kind of like ants where some ants are born to be workers, some soldiers, some farmers, and some queens. Even though all of rescued aliens were workers they were still able to produce any type of alien. So I believe a few scientist aliens were born. The little boy alien was probably one of these smart aliens. The knowledge is probably past down the same way ants do it, somehow they are born with the knowledge they need to know.
Spoiler:
I believe Christopher was a leader on the mothership, perhaps the only one to survive. If you recall, they showed that a piece of the ship dropped off soon after its arrival, and was never found. That's obviously the ship beneath Christopher's shack. It is likely that Christopher was on that mini-ship from the beginning (perhaps intentionally abandoning all the workers to die -- take that Sessa17! ). Christopher's son was educated by his father, as was his dopey friend (who still wasn't too bright).
Old 08-16-09, 11:57 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
I didn't see anyone address the question on why some aliens are smart enough to do things the first ones couldn't.
Does everybody at your place of work have the same intelligence and skill-sets?
Old 08-16-09, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
Even the human protesters that were against MNU involvement? The ones with signs that said "Aliens are my friends"?
They are scenery, not characters in a film. They don't have names or even speaking roles, they are not portrayed in any manner outside of just that, being protestors.
Old 08-16-09, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Does everybody at your place of work have the same intelligence and skill-sets?
Nope, that was odd question. Why do you ask?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.