Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Date Night (Levy, 2010): Steve Carell, Tina Fey, Mark Wahlberg, James Franco

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Date Night (Levy, 2010): Steve Carell, Tina Fey, Mark Wahlberg, James Franco

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-10, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Date Night (Levy, 2010): Steve Carell, Tina Fey, Mark Wahlberg, James Franco

I'm SO happy that the reviews look pretty good for this. I've been waiting for this for a long time and wanted it to be excellent but would have been satified with above average. I love Tina Fey. She's on quite a roll. I think I've watched Baby Mamma more times than any other film since it was released.

Ebert gives it 3 1/2 stars, so it will be at least 4 stars for me. I think we will go see this Saturday night. Then I'll be counting the dats until the BD release. Hopefully, we get a Carrell/Fey commentary.
Old 04-09-10, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Re: Date Night (Levy, 2010): Steve Carell, Tina Fey, Mark Wahlberg, James Franco

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
I love Tina Fey. She's on quite a roll. I think I've watched Baby Mamma more times than any other film since it was released.
Thanks to the Netflix streaming disc for the Wii, my wife and I are now caught up through the first three seasons of 30 Rock. We saw Baby Mama during its theatrical run and liked it alright--never cared for the last, oh, ten minutes or so. I think we're going to try to catch Date Night either Tuesday or Wednesday next week.
Old 04-09-10, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Saw it today - some pretty funny scenes but with this cast, should have been at least twice as funny. The plot is by the numbers and Levy really doesn't know how to stage the action or comedy in a way that makes it special, but I love Fey and Carell... they totally make the movie worth a matinee and have great chemistry together - they just don't have the material to make it more than just alright.
Old 04-10-10, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Phil (Steve Carell) and Claire Foster (Tina Fey), parents of 2 young children, live in suburbia, and are in a romantic rut when it comes their their weekly outing known as "date night". Then one night Claire gets some advice and gets all gussied up, prompting Phil to make a special effort to take them into the city for a dinner at "Claw", a popular hot spot of a restaurant, without a reservation. They are quickly relegated to the bar, but decide to poach someone else's reservation (The Tripplehorns) and that's when the mistaken identities land the Fosters in for a wild and crazy night of running for their lives from would-be bad guys who are looking for the Tripplehorns.

There is some decent chemistry between Carell and Fey, and funny action comedy during a car chase, and some husband-wife jealousy humor, and stiltedly bad "tough guy" dialogue from Phil in stressful situations, and thankfully they didn't show us all the funny bits in the trailer. It's a breezy movie to pass 90 minutes, though it has a dead spot or two, but mainly because it's about Phil and Claire talking out their marital and family life issues in the midst of trying to stay alive. The "danger" aspect of this case of mistaken identity is probably underwritten, even for a comedy, but at least the pacing is good. But given the comedic pedigree of the lead actors, the script could have been funnier, I think.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

Last edited by Patman; 04-10-10 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-10-10, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm probably gonna catch this sometime this week.
Old 04-10-10, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Saw this last night.

The movie definitely has its funny moments but it's a faint image of a great movie that should've been handled by someone else. I can only imagine what this would've been had it been produced by, say, Judd Apatow.

It's a movie I'd definitely see again, but I'm in no rush to do so.
Old 04-10-10, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Saw it. Funny movie, no denying it, but it seemed like it needed to be in the hands of someone who could blend action and comedy better (Judd Apatow or the people behind Hot Fuzz). What came off as distracting to me is how stylistically the movie was shot as a comedy in the first act, then seemed to switch to action for the last 2/3. It was still a comedy, but the way the lighting and shots were framed definitely gave off an action vibe. I'm sure it was intentional, but it didn't really work for me.

Still I enjoyed it and recommend it.

EDIT: I also feel that while it might not have been as beneficial from a marketing standpoint, this movie would have been better off if it were rated R, as some of the moments didn't seem to flow as naturally as they would have with the language not being hindered.

Last edited by Dr. DVD; 04-10-10 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-10-10, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Saw it. Funny movie, no denying it, but it seemed like it needed to be in the hands of someone who could blend action and comedy better (Judd Apatow or the people behind Hot Fuzz). What came off as distracting to me is how stylistically the movie was shot as a comedy in the first act, then seemed to switch to action for the last 2/3. It was still a comedy, but the way the lighting and shots were framed definitely gave off an action vibe. I'm sure it was intentional, but it didn't really work for me.

Still I enjoyed it and recommend it.

EDIT: I also feel that while it might not have been as beneficial from a marketing standpoint, this movie would have been better off if it were rated R, as some of the moments didn't seem to flow as naturally as they would have with the language not being hindered.
OMG I AGREE WITH YOU ON EVERY ASPECT. Shawn Levy is too hollywood, his style does not work as a comedy. Like someone mentioned before, Apatow would be perfect in handling this type of movie or usually any of the guys Rudd has worked with recently. It felt too stylistic and that really takes away from the movie and the PG-13 rating some of the flow. Sure the eff you scene with James Franco was hilarious but at other moments the jokes needed to be "R" ized like when
Spoiler:
Leon
comes into the screen. As hilarious he was, it seemed as if he needed an R rating to be the true
Spoiler:
Leon
from Curb.

But the movie itself was funny, sure it could have been better but it's fun. The style kills some of it but Steve Carell is the saving grace of the movie. He had too many funny moments. I think it's a fun movie and I'm considering if I'd watch it again or even get it on bluray. It was much better than Get Smart which was just only Steve Carell. The supporting cast in that movie was very stale, in Date Night, a few of the supporting characters are hilarious or most. But I feel they kept the Pg-13 rating to lure the younger crowd in, when I feel a mature audience would benefit more than young people. It's a great date flick as well and a good movie to take to the girl. Girls get their dose of Romantic comedies and guys get an actually funny movie.

My only complaint is the style and how some things didn't seem to flow right. Otherwise it's a pretty fun and funny movie.

Hopefully there's an unrated cut on bluray. I would totally dig that.
Old 04-10-10, 08:18 PM

I liked it. Started off way too slow...as previously mentioned, the comedy third could have benefited quite a bit from an R rating. It also could have benefited greatly with the subtraction of Wiig but that's for the SNL thread. The best comedy bit had to be
Spoiler:
the strip club scene
in which both of them were golden with their physical comedy.
Old 04-10-10, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by jpb07
I liked it. Started off way too slow...as previously mentioned, the comedy third could have benefited quite a bit from an R rating. It also could have benefited greatly with the subtraction of Wiig but that's for the SNL thread. The best comedy bit had to be
Spoiler:
the strip club scene
in which both of them were golden with their physical comedy.
Eh I liked the
Spoiler:
taxi scene
better. and I thought Wiig was great. Kristin, Tina Fey, & Amy Poehler are just 3 of the best SNL females ever. It sucks now that Kristin Wiig is the only one left. At least we got her teaming up Hader on occasion.

I was disappointed that Ruffalo's role in the movie was like for 5 seconds.
Old 04-10-10, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Idioteque...
And you also recommended I love You Beth Cooper and hated 500 Days of Summer. So yeappp.
This is going off-track, but I wanted to say: I'll take my knocks for liking I Love You Beth Cooper. However (as impartial as I am), I think I had valid points in bashing (500) Days of Summer. I've yet to hear anyone try and counter the points I made, and I would enjoy hearing from anyone who wants to.
Old 04-10-10, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
This is going off-track, but I wanted to say: I'll take my knocks for liking I Love You Beth Cooper. However (as impartial as I am), I think I had valid points in bashing (500) Days of Summer. I've yet to hear anyone try and counter the points I made, and I would enjoy hearing from anyone who wants to.
I have to admit I actually liked Beth Cooper as well so dont feel too alone (but like 500 days as well)...

Date Night was much better than I was expecting, and that was all due to Carrell and Fey. They are onto something and should do more movies together. I think it would be great seeing them in something a little edgier and/or rated hard R with the same type of characters.
Old 04-10-10, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
I read your review and your points are pretty much ridiculous. It seems you missed out on the entire film and wanted a straightfoward crappy romantic comedy with the overdone tropes & cliches.

But this isn't the thread meant for arguing 500 Days of Summer, we can do that on another time. This is for Date Night.
Old 04-10-10, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Bus
McPoyle!
In my circle he's known as "The Creepy James Spader" but if not for that he would be known as "McPoyle." When watching this trailer I exclaimed loudly, "hey look, it's Creepy James Spader!"

All that being said, Jimmi Simpson has been good in everything I've seen him in.

Oh and Date Night looks like it might be good.
Old 04-11-10, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not a movie reviewer and it's not even a part-time hobby. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and I'd give it a solid B+.

I do like Fey and Carrell together and would love to see them again.

Small observations: I totally admit that I never saw the fuss about Mila Kunis for the entire run That '70's Show. Not only did I not think she was attractive (I liked Donna more) but didn't see any potential for her in movies other than making Sarah Michelle Gellar type crap on a smaller scale. Boy was I wrong on all counts.

And with Fey, I thought she was hot doing weekend update and would switch over to watch only that. Then I saw she was the head writer of SNL and it was mostly terrible, so I kind of thought she was somewhat responsible for mostly terribly unwatchable shows. Then she makes a show that early on people were saying wouldn't last a season into the best sitcom on network tv and she's kind of taken off now as a sex symbol. Not just that girl next door with the glasses you want to do from behind, but a sex symbol for a lot of people who tend to only like hot, young, teens with blonde hair and big boobs. Pretty amazing to watch her career progress. I'd like to see her take a shot at something other than comedy now.
Old 04-11-10, 03:02 AM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

A real mediocre movie. Expected better from Fey and Carell. This is no better than a two star show. A real disappointment .
Old 04-11-10, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Idioteque...
I read your review and your points are pretty much ridiculous. It seems you missed out on the entire film and wanted a straightfoward crappy romantic comedy with the overdone tropes & cliches.
Interesting. I can see why you'd say that based on the review, but that wasn't the intent.
Old 04-14-10, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

The wife and I just got back from seeing this. We enjoyed it quite a bit. To me though, it felt almost as if Carrell was just playing a slightly smarter Michael Scott. Tina Fey looked great in this. It's not very often that I have a thing for an older woman but I'm more than willing to make an exception for her.
Old 04-14-10, 03:47 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Saw this last night. Liked it quite a bit. Not a movie I would own, but quite fun in the theater.
Old 04-14-10, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I LOVED this movie. Best movie of the year so far that I have seen in Theaters(of course I have only seen 5 other movies and am a popcorn flick kind of guy and not "artsy"). I will def buy the Blu-Ray when this comes out and hoping it gets a Fey/Carell commentary and PiP. But like I said I've never been into artsy movies(like say Million Dollar Baby) and love fun popcorn flicks and have liked(or even loved) alot of hated movies(Transformers series,GI Joe,Batman Forever) so a movie that gets good enough revews from critics is no surprise to be a movie that I love. I would say it will probably once released on Blu-Ray be a canidate for more repeat viewings that say a better movie like a Ingloriuos Basterds. If I had the money I would see it again in theaters but I don't have the money to see it again unless someone else wants to see it.
Old 04-14-10, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My girlfriend and I were going to see this on our very own date night tomorrow night, but we decided going to a friend's birthday party at a tapas restaurant and seeing Kick-Ass a second time (I took her into the ShoWest screening) was a better idea.
Old 04-16-10, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The wife and I loved this tonight. Fey and Carrell make the movie. Maybe because we are an old boring married couple we can really relate. I also find Tina Fey an incredibly sexy woman. I've always preferred the girl next door type and she epitomizes it.

B+
Old 04-16-10, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I want to see Tina Fey in an R rated movie for a change.
Old 04-17-10, 11:59 PM

What is it about Tina Fey movies where she is paired with another actress/actor that I adore that just completely underwhelms me. Baby Mama was the same thing as this, it had two great leads but it never lived up to the potential. My girlfriend and I just saw this and neither of us thought it was all that great, mediocre seems to fit right. It sure didn't help that we were just about the only people old enough to drive in the theater and the kids next to us kept shouting "oh yeah steve!" now I remember why I prefer to sit and watch movies in the comfort of my own home.
Old 09-17-10, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thought this was decent, The one thing that bugged me look created by video format. Other then that there were a few good laughs. Really liked the car scene. Other then that if it had a different director and better script it could of been a classic since the cast was pretty solid and Carell and Fey have great chemistry

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.