Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Favorite film about The Crucifixion/Jesus Christ

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Favorite film centering around "The Crucifixion"
King of Kings (1927)
0%
Ben Hur (1959)
19.35%
King of Kings (1961)
2.15%
The Greatest Story Ever Told
2.15%
The Robe
0%
Barabbas
1.08%
Jesus Christ Superstar
6.45%
The Last Temptation of Christ
32.26%
The Passion
18.28%
Other
18.28%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Favorite film about The Crucifixion/Jesus Christ

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-11, 06:36 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Favorite film about The Crucifixion/Jesus Christ

Originally Posted by raven56706
Mr. Lopez, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Right off the bat you have done what every liberal does. Which is try make what I said is false and with insults. I went by what is written in the Bible.
So why would God show me mercy on my soul?
Old 04-25-11, 06:38 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
Last Temptation is leading? That is one of the most offensive Christian movies ever made. Pure garbage. And yes, Hollywood does hate Christians!
How is Last Temptation offensive ? It's one of the best Jesus movies ever made. It was about the devil tempting Jesus to let him see what it would be like if he didn't get crucified and got to live a long life. How is that offensive ? Oh, that's right. It's not. How is it any different than in the BIBLE when the devil tempted Jesus with power over the entire world (which he has already had since the beginning of time) ? It's not. This incredible movie is just a What If kind of story about Jesus getting tempted again. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
Old 04-25-11, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The New Jersey String Quartet Mit Pradikat.
Old 04-25-11, 06:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by al_bundy
it came out in the 21st century
Jews asked for Jesus to be crucified
it's based on a book by a catholic nun who was anti-semitic. even though everyone was back in that time
the creator of the film is a religious catholic
its a publicity stunt for free advertising, nothing gets people to buy tickets like outrage
In no way, shape, or form is the movie anti semitic. It is just telling the story about the cruxificition that was in the bible. So, you're saying that the BIBLE (which was written down by JEWS, by the way) is anti jewish ?
Old 04-25-11, 06:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I watched Last Temptation today. Don't know if it was supposed to be that insanely awful. Scorsese has been pretty much a straight shooter and doesn't usually experiment too much when it comes to film, that's why this film came as sort of shock.
It wasn't awful. It is one of the best Jesus movies ever made. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it awful
Old 04-25-11, 06:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hasslein
I'm not religious, but Last Temptation is one of my favorite films... I admit the Jesus family segment is a little too long, but the film is never preachy, and I have never felt as much emotion in a biblical epic as the moment
Spoiler:
Defoe makes the choice he wants to be the Messiah, and the moment he realizes it isn't too late ... It is Accomplished!... Gets me every time. As a kid I never understood why one moment Christ said "My God, why hast thou forsaken me?" then the next sentence does a 180 and says "It is Accomplished" Well, the Last Temptation takes place between them.. now I like to believe that I know...
When he was saying why have you forsaken me, Jesus wasn't talking about himself. He meant the human race. Specifically the people that were responsible for him being murdered.
Old 04-25-11, 06:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Klaatu is indeed a Christ figure. As is Cool Hand Luke, Neo, E.T., Robocop, Superman, King Arthur and loads of others in well-known films.
King Arthur ? How ? He doesn't come back from the dead in any version that I've ever seen.
Old 04-25-11, 06:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
I voted The Last Temptation of Christ because t portrayed the character of Jesus in the most human and sympathetic way. In the passion he came across as a real dickhead and I was almost rooting against him when he was getting his ass beat.
Excuse me ? How was Jesus what you called him in the Passion ? He's never been anything but good in any Jesus movie.
Old 04-25-11, 07:07 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I voted for Last Temptation back in '09 and I stick by that, but I recently saw Pasolini's Gospel According to St. Mathew and it is fantastic. Absolutely beautiful and uses music in amazing ways. I'd heard a lot of praise for the film but no one ever commented on the music. American soul, spirituals, african chants, classical, it's really eclectic.

The photography is awsome. Every set up looks like a 1980's album cover. Black and white and Jesus and the deciples are all looking in different directions. Like U2's Joshue Tree.

Also, it is now obvious to me that Mel Gibson just took the things he liked from this film and Last Temptation and then made his own movie without any original ideas. He even filmed in the same italian village as Pasolini's film.

Last edited by Mabuse; 04-26-11 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-25-11, 07:14 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like The Passion, but I love one scene in particular, where Jesus apparently invents a stool and mimes its use to his mother, who cannot fathom what it might be for. I adore that scene more than words could ever express.

Edit: I just rewatched that scene, guess I forgot some of the details. It's not a stool, it's a table that stands more than a foot off the ground. Still funny, but not as good as the one in my head.

Last edited by Supermallet; 04-25-11 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-25-11, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1loyjm4SOa0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-25-11, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
King Arthur ? How ? He doesn't come back from the dead in any version that I've ever seen.
Not yet.

In the Arthurian legend, King Arthur is severely wounded by Mordred and ferried off to the isle of Avalon by the three maidens. It is said that he resides on Avalon awaiting the day when he is needed again, and will then return (hence why he is often referred to as the "Once and future king"). I'm sure you can see the Christ symbolism now, right?
Old 04-25-11, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Old 04-25-11, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wm lopez
Shows how much you know.
On Jesus 2ND COMING which is around the corner he will not be doing the things you stated. If you want to know what he will do open the Bible and go to the book of revelation and read. A hint. He does not love those that are against him. He does wipe out the armies that go against him.
Look it up yourself.
Read.
Number 1, starman9000's right, that's not what I said.

Number 2, I'd be willing to bet that I've studied Revelation and Bible prophecy more than you have.

Number 3, why don't you address the points I made?
Old 04-25-11, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Number 4, you're seriously trying to pursue a debate on this topic with WM?
Old 04-25-11, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wm lopez
Right off the bat you have done what every liberal does. Which is try make what I said is false and with insults. I went by what is written in the Bible.
So why would God show me mercy on my soul?
Thank you, and God bless.
Old 04-25-11, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
Number 4, you're seriously trying to pursue a debate on this topic with WM?
"Seriously"? No. I don't imagine that Mr. Lopez has ever had a debate with anyone in his life. I'm sure he runs at the first hint of anything that might cause him to question his viewpoint.
Old 04-25-11, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would say it would be more like Orwell's sheep, in that the bleating would only get more insistent and louder.

By the way, the use of 'seriously' in that sentence was not meant as a way of describing your state of mind or manner of approach to said attempt at debate.

In that usage it's a synonym for 'actually', having the same usage and meaning.
Old 04-26-11, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I dunno if you guys seen it but I heard "Jesus of Nazareth" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075520 its one of the best film representations of Jesus.. well I wouldn't know it haven't seen any :P maybe I'll start with that
Old 04-26-11, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I own that on DVD and it is fantastic.

I mentioned it in this thread a good ways back.

I would assume it's not in the thread poll due to it being a 6+ hour miniseries that was made for television.
Old 04-26-11, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i'm split between Temptation and Passion. Each one has it's strengths and weaknesses but mostly because i don't like a lot of the 50's and 60's movies due to the fact that i think they are over acted and a bit too dramatic and grand for me.

Temptation is not based on The Bible but on a book which i think a lot of people forget. and the author grew up in a Muslim environment and they have slightly different beliefs about Jesus

when i walked out of the theater after watching Passion the first thing i thought was that it was Italian church tapestries come to life. it really seemed like Gibson spent months looking at every picture in different churches and the vatican and every scene was planned to be straight out of the artwork. you could study for a sunday school test using that movie since it's all by the numbers from catholic dogma.

Last edited by al_bundy; 04-26-11 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-26-11, 06:37 PM
Banned

Number 1, starman9000's right, that's not what I said.

Number 2, I'd be willing to bet that I've studied Revelation and Bible prophecy more than you have.

Number 3, why don't you address the points I made?
Like which one?
Old 04-26-11, 06:38 PM
Banned

"Seriously"? No. I don't imagine that Mr. Lopez has ever had a debate with anyone in his life. I'm sure he runs at the first hint of anything that might cause him to question his viewpoint.
If what you say is true how did I get banned from DVDTALK for a month?
Old 04-26-11, 06:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
I own that on DVD and it is fantastic.

I mentioned it in this thread a good ways back.

I would assume it's not in the thread poll due to it being a 6+ hour miniseries that was made for television.
The dvd transfer is just so-so. The mini-series is great.
Old 01-21-12, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

For me, Jesus of Nazareth 1977.

Easily the best.

The Last Temptation was too flawed, imo, to be a really great film. Well, I suppose it's a great film in what it attempts, kind of like Blade Runner pre-Final Cut. But Keitel's accent really kills it for me, and some of the music and montages seem very cliche/parodied already.

But his temptation, the crucifixion and when he's praying to his Father, were great scenes in film history.

I have no interest in seeing The Passion in it's entirety.

Anyways, Jesus of Nazareth #1, The Last Temptation #2.