DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Joss Whedon's Buffy The Vampire Slayer (v2.0) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/552867-joss-whedons-buffy-vampire-slayer-v2-0-a.html)

Barry Woodward 04-04-09 10:57 PM

Joss Whedon's Buffy The Vampire Slayer (v2.0)

From Showbiz Spy:

Sarah Michelle Gellar 'In Talks For Buffy Movie'

Sarah Michelle Gellar is reportedly in talks to reprise her role as Buffy the Vampire Slayer - for a movie.

The 31-year-old actress ended her role as Buffy in 2003 after a six-year run.

Now the feisty character could be making a return on the big screen.

An insider says, "There is an idea for a script and to pick the story up with Buffy older and maybe even a mother.

"Michelle is busy with movie projects at the moment but she is excited about the idea. Buffy still has a huge fan-base so this is a movie that already has an audience.

"Michelle is a shrewd businesswoman so the chances are this will happen at some point."

http://www.showbizspy.com/article/18...or-buffy-movie

mhg83 04-04-09 11:00 PM

Re: Joss Whedon's Buffy The Vampire Slayer (v2.0)

Well if Dollhouse gets canned Joss can go back to the well with a Buffy Movie :banana:

stingermck 04-04-09 11:10 PM

Do it. NOW!

But you have to bring back David also

tofu 04-04-09 11:47 PM

That would be awesome. I would just hope that they bring back all of the characters except for Buffy's sister.

chris_sc77 04-04-09 11:50 PM

^+1

I'd like to see a series of films if they could weave a cool kinda mythology thing or something.

Patman 04-05-09 12:02 AM

But it won't be R rated, and probably not over 120 minutes.

Matthew Chmiel 04-05-09 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77 (Post 9369517)
I'd like to see a series of films if they could weave a cool kinda mythology thing or something.

And that film would only make a few million dollars, and considering Fox would probably pool the money behind it, pretty sure they won't have Whedon pull that card only due to the huge misfire that was the last X-Files film (the summer release date and no aliens probably hurt that as well).

If they're going to do a movie, sad to say it, they have to make it stand-alone. Yes, there could be references galore to the series, but they will need to make it accessible so the non-fanboys can see it.

It worked for Serenity in terms of storytelling; box office, not so much.

To be honest, I don't know how I'd feel about a Buffy movie. Season seven sucked as the story went absolutely fucking nowhere until the final five episodes. Now an Angel movie picking up where the show left off? Count me the fuck in (especially if they go the rumored Mad Max route that Season Six would've taken if the show did get picked up last minute).

PopcornTreeCt 04-05-09 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by mhg83 (Post 9369472)
Well if Dollhouse gets canned Joss can go back to the well with a Buffy Movie :banana:

It's not so much a question of "if" but "when".

I'll believe this when I see it.

Matthew Chmiel 04-05-09 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt (Post 9369589)
It's not so much a question of "if" but "when".

May? ;)

Adam Tyner 04-05-09 10:04 AM

I dunno. I think Buffy being so young is kind of a defining aspect of the original series; picking up with her already grown up just doesn't hold an overwhelming amount of appeal. I really didn't care for the last couple seasons of the show, and even the "season eight" comic book has been aimlessly spinning its wheels for the better part of a year now. (It doesn't help that Buffy barely ranks as a supporting character in her own comic book, but whatever.)

OldBoy 04-05-09 10:28 AM

i would very much be there for a movie using most of the original characters though. the ones that weren't killed off that is. Buffy is one of my favorite series of all time and if "Serenity" attests to Whedon's movie prowess i would love this.

Mysteryfan 04-05-09 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel (Post 9369569)
Now an Angel movie picking up where the show left off? Count me the fuck in (especially if they go the rumored Mad Max route that Season Six would've taken if the show did get picked up last minute).

That would certainly get my vote.

Sean O'Hara 04-05-09 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel (Post 9369569)
To be honest, I don't know how I'd feel about a Buffy movie. Season seven sucked as the story went absolutely fucking nowhere until the final five episodes. Now an Angel movie picking up where the show left off? Count me the fuck in (especially if they go the rumored Mad Max route that Season Six would've taken if the show did get picked up last minute).

There are "Season Six" comics that do this.

auto 04-05-09 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara (Post 9369982)
There are "Season Six" comics that do this.

Actually, "Season Eight" and they are pretty awesome.

Nick Martin 04-05-09 12:52 PM

Wasn't April Fools five days ago?

Originally Posted by auto (Post 9370000)
Actually, "Season Eight" and they are pretty awesome.

No, he means "ANGEL Season Six", while Buffy has a season eight.

GenPion 04-05-09 12:55 PM

Count me in. Buffy and Angel need to be back, and how about everyone else for that matter? I would love this SO MUCH. I'd see this film like 10 tens opening weekend if this were to come true!

riley_dude 04-05-09 01:33 PM

Great idea. Get Buffy and Angel together again.

spainlinx0 04-05-09 03:52 PM

Yup, I would say this is definitely a possibility since SMG has been humbled. Not the star she thought she would be.

auto 04-05-09 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Martin (Post 9370036)

No, he means "ANGEL Season Six", while Buffy has a season eight.

Duh. Didn't read that right. I've read a bit of the Angel Season 6 comics and they are decent. The Buffy run is much better though.

Nick Martin 04-05-09 04:52 PM

I'm not a comic reader at all, so combine that with me being so completely satisfied by ANGEL's ending, I didn't want to take away from that. Maybe some day I'll pick them up if they're available in a volume book form, but not yet.

wmansir 04-05-09 06:36 PM

I'm not so enthusiastic. As Matthew said, it would have to be done as a standalone. After all this time and with so much history behind the series I don't know if that would be very satisfying.

edstein 04-05-09 07:55 PM

I wasn't much of a Buffy fan, only saw a couple of episodes. But, I've heard good things about Angel. Can I start watching that show without having watched Buffy?

treszoks 04-05-09 08:25 PM

I would not be opposed to a Buffy movie and by not opposed I mean when can I see it?

Nick Martin 04-05-09 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by edstein (Post 9370570)
I wasn't much of a Buffy fan, only saw a couple of episodes. But, I've heard good things about Angel. Can I start watching that show without having watched Buffy?

You're in the same boat I was in.

I saw previews of ANGEL, never having seen Buffy (only heard a little about it) and thought those previews looked great so I tuned into its premiere...can't believe that was 10 years ago this October....damn.

I can tell you from my experience that you will understand MOST of what's going on, except for when it comes to the issue of characters referencing things that happened during the first three seasons of Buffy.

Anything I didn't understand (little things about characters like Wesley, Cordelia, Harmony and Darla - "remember the time when we...." that kind of thing) I caught up on after the fact.

When season 3 premiered in 2001, that's when Buffy began rerunning from the beginning on a sci-fi channel here. Saw the first three seasons and filled in the missing bits of information that way. Nowadays you could simply read about anything you need to know on websites ;)

So long story short, it's by no means necessary to watch Buffy seasons 1 to 3 before watching ANGEL.

riley_dude 04-05-09 11:33 PM

My advice is watch Buffy. It gets better after season one and stays really good until the end of Season 5.