Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Orphan (Collet-Serra, 2009) — Farmiga & Sarsgaard in adoption horror-thriller

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Orphan (Collet-Serra, 2009) — Farmiga & Sarsgaard in adoption horror-thriller

Old 04-01-09, 10:11 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Godfather
Thread Starter
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,852
Orphan (Collet-Serra, 2009) — Farmiga & Sarsgaard in adoption horror-thriller


HD Trailer | IMDB | 24 July 09

The tragic loss of their unborn child has devastated Kate and John, taking a toll on both their marriage and Kate’s fragile psyche as she is plagued by nightmares and haunted by demons from her past. Struggling to regain some semblance of normalcy in their lives, the couple decides to adopt another child. At the local orphanage, both John and Kate find themselves strangely drawn to a young girl named Esther. Almost as soon as they welcome Esther into their home, however, an alarming series of events begins to unfold, leading Kate to believe that there’s something wrong with Esther-this seemingly angelic little girl is not what she appears to be. Concerned for the safety of her family, Kate tries to get John and others to see past Esther’s sweet facade. But her warnings go unheeded until it may be too late…for everyone.




As adoption-horror movies go, this one seems to be pretty good.
The Bus is offline  
Old 06-11-09, 09:26 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: frass canyon
Posts: 16,249
Re: Orphan (Collet-Serra, 2009) — Farmiga & Sarsgaard in adoption horror-thriller

looks like a rip-off of Problem Child
RoyalTea is offline  
Old 06-11-09, 09:37 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 38,985
Re: Orphan (Collet-Serra, 2009) — Farmiga & Sarsgaard in adoption horror-thriller

Well that was a fast remake of The Good Son.
RichC2 is offline  
Old 06-11-09, 09:42 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JumpCutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: south of heaven
Posts: 13,540
Re: Orphan (Collet-Serra, 2009) — Farmiga & Sarsgaard in adoption horror-thriller

This looks like a mounted turd. That trailer was positively horrid and laughable at the same time.
JumpCutz is offline  
Old 06-11-09, 09:50 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 38,985
Re: Orphan (Collet-Serra, 2009) — Farmiga & Sarsgaard in adoption horror-thriller

Originally Posted by JumpCutz View Post
This looks like a mounted turd. That trailer was positively horrid and laughable at the same time.
It kind of reminded me of that Simpsons episode with The Re-Deadening.
RichC2 is offline  
Old 06-11-09, 10:25 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
LickTheABCs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Viva BuyMoria!
Posts: 3,464
Re: Orphan (Collet-Serra, 2009) — Farmiga & Sarsgaard in adoption horror-thriller

...

Didn't I just see this?

Oh, yeah. That was Joshua.
LickTheABCs is offline  
Old 06-12-09, 09:12 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
mdc3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Posts: 9,921
Re: Orphan (Collet-Serra, 2009) — Farmiga & Sarsgaard in adoption horror-thriller

^Yeah, which sucked balls too. Vera Farmiga needs a new agent ASAP.
mdc3000 is offline  
Old 06-12-09, 10:45 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,889
Re: Orphan (Collet-Serra, 2009) — Farmiga & Sarsgaard in adoption horror-thriller

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
looks like a rip-off of Problem Child
Or Clifford, for that matter.

Saw the trailer for this before Drag Me to Hell and The Hangover, and yes, it looks awful. Peter Sarsgaard goes from Garden State, Jarhead and Kinsey to this? Ugh. And I thought Vera Farmiga would start getting higher-profile roles after The Departed, apparently not. It also doesn't help that the girl looks like the girl from the Pepsi commercials from the late 90's and early on this decade.
Zen Peckinpah is offline  
Old 06-12-09, 01:30 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 817
Re: Orphan (Collet-Serra, 2009) — Farmiga & Sarsgaard in adoption horror-thriller

That's a pretty creepy poster though. I'll give it a shot and keep my expectations in check.
Rainet is offline  
Old 06-12-09, 01:51 PM
  #10  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
Re: Orphan (Collet-Serra, 2009) — Farmiga & Sarsgaard in adoption horror-thriller

The trailer looks completely awful.
Supermallet is offline  
Old 06-12-09, 02:00 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ash Ketchum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11,621
Re: Orphan (Collet-Serra, 2009) — Farmiga & Sarsgaard in adoption horror-thriller

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post

HD Trailer | IMDB | 24 July 09

The tragic loss of their unborn child has devastated Kate and John, taking a toll on both their marriage and Kate’s fragile psyche as she is plagued by nightmares and haunted by demons from her past. Struggling to regain some semblance of normalcy in their lives, the couple decides to adopt another child. At the local orphanage, both John and Kate find themselves strangely drawn to a young girl named Esther. Almost as soon as they welcome Esther into their home, however, an alarming series of events begins to unfold, leading Kate to believe that there’s something wrong with Esther-this seemingly angelic little girl is not what she appears to be. Concerned for the safety of her family, Kate tries to get John and others to see past Esther’s sweet facade. But her warnings go unheeded until it may be too late…for everyone.




As adoption-horror movies go, this one seems to be pretty good.
Interesting that the parents are named John and Kate.

Speaking of which, I'd love to see a horror film based on that reality show. Or can anyone who's actually seen it tell me whether it already is a horror show?
Ash Ketchum is offline  
Old 06-12-09, 02:11 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 38,985
Re: Orphan (Collet-Serra, 2009) — Farmiga & Sarsgaard in adoption horror-thriller

If a woman being a total bitch to her whipped husband is horror, sure why not. It's like Ed Helms and Rachel Harris in The Hangover.

RichC2 is offline  
Old 06-30-09, 03:44 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Trelach24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,935
Re: Orphan (Collet-Serra, 2009) — Farmiga & Sarsgaard in adoption horror-thriller

So I have seen the trailer for this both times I've seen The Hangover. I'll never see it but the trailer says
Spoiler:
you'll never guess her secret
so now I want to know. Someone just post it so I can move on.
Trelach24 is offline  
Old 06-30-09, 04:37 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sitting on a beach, earning 20%
Posts: 9,917
Re: Orphan (Collet-Serra, 2009) — Farmiga & Sarsgaard in adoption horror-thriller

Originally Posted by Trelach24 View Post
So I have seen the trailer for this both times I've seen The Hangover. I'll never see it but the trailer says
Spoiler:
you'll never guess her secret
so now I want to know. Someone just post it so I can move on.
Here you go. I have the screenplay.
Spoiler:
Esther is actually a 32-year-old woman with proportional dwarfism, who was abused as a child and ended up with a sick psychosexual complex. She worked as a prostitute to take advantage of rich pedophiles, but upon being arrested, she kept up the charade so that she was sent to an orphanage. She was adopted and when her new "father" spurned her sexual advances, she burned the family alive in their house. So the movie's events have her being adopted by a new family after she escapes from a mental hospital, and she proceeds to kill off any competition she has for her new "father"'s affections. After once again getting the brush-off, she kills him (she's already killed her "brother") and tries to kill her "sister", but her "mother" manages to save her daughter and shoots Esther.

♫ That's the story of, that's the glory of love... ♫

So now you know.

And knowing is half the battle.
DonnachaOne is offline  
Old 06-30-09, 07:23 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
LiquidSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pokey Dot Lounge, Nashville, TN
Posts: 9,175
Re: Orphan (Collet-Serra, 2009) — Farmiga & Sarsgaard in adoption horror-thriller

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne View Post
Here you go. I have the screenplay.
Spoiler:
Esther is actually a 32-year-old woman with proportional dwarfism, who was abused as a child and ended up with a sick psychosexual complex. She worked as a prostitute to take advantage of rich pedophiles, but upon being arrested, she kept up the charade so that she was sent to an orphanage. She was adopted and when her new "father" spurned her sexual advances, she burned the family alive in their house. So the movie's events have her being adopted by a new family after she escapes from a mental hospital, and she proceeds to kill off any competition she has for her new "father"'s affections. After once again getting the brush-off, she kills him (she's already killed her "brother") and tries to kill her "sister", but her "mother" manages to save her daughter and shoots Esther.

♫ That's the story of, that's the glory of love... ♫

So now you know.
LiquidSky is offline  
Old 06-30-09, 07:54 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Augusta, GA USA
Posts: 2,131
Re: Orphan (Collet-Serra, 2009) — Farmiga & Sarsgaard in adoption horror-thriller

Seriously? That's goofy as hell. Who writes this crap?
Shilex is offline  
Old 06-30-09, 08:25 AM
  #17  
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,494
Re: Orphan (Collet-Serra, 2009) — Farmiga & Sarsgaard in adoption horror-thriller

^ apparently no one who has an ounce of originality.
Giles is offline  
Old 06-30-09, 08:27 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
mdc3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Posts: 9,921
Re: Orphan (Collet-Serra, 2009) — Farmiga & Sarsgaard in adoption horror-thriller

That synopsis is hilarious - how the fuck did this movie get made?
mdc3000 is offline  
Old 06-30-09, 12:39 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sitting on a beach, earning 20%
Posts: 9,917
Re: Orphan (Collet-Serra, 2009) — Farmiga & Sarsgaard in adoption horror-thriller

Originally Posted by Giles View Post
^ apparently no one who has an ounce of originality.
Oh come now, it's certainly original! What else did you see THAT in?
Note, original does not necessarily mean good...
DonnachaOne is offline  
Old 06-30-09, 08:25 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,889
Re: Orphan (Collet-Serra, 2009) — Farmiga & Sarsgaard in adoption horror-thriller

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne View Post
Here you go. I have the screenplay.
Spoiler:
Esther is actually a 32-year-old woman with proportional dwarfism, who was abused as a child and ended up with a sick psychosexual complex. She worked as a prostitute to take advantage of rich pedophiles, but upon being arrested, she kept up the charade so that she was sent to an orphanage. She was adopted and when her new "father" spurned her sexual advances, she burned the family alive in their house. So the movie's events have her being adopted by a new family after she escapes from a mental hospital, and she proceeds to kill off any competition she has for her new "father"'s affections. After once again getting the brush-off, she kills him (she's already killed her "brother") and tries to kill her "sister", but her "mother" manages to save her daughter and shoots Esther.

♫ That's the story of, that's the glory of love... ♫

So now you know.

And knowing is half the battle.
x 52,478
Zen Peckinpah is offline  
Old 07-02-09, 02:24 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Trelach24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,935
Re: Orphan (Collet-Serra, 2009) — Farmiga & Sarsgaard in adoption horror-thriller

LMAO. So worth it. Thanks.
Trelach24 is offline  
Old 07-02-09, 08:26 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cungar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 21,278
Re: Orphan (Collet-Serra, 2009) — Farmiga & Sarsgaard in adoption horror-thriller

Apparently early ads had adoption groups up in arms. They had a slogan like "You can never love an adopted child as much as your own" They pulled the ads after the complaints.
cungar is offline  
Old 07-02-09, 11:59 AM
  #23  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
Re: Orphan (Collet-Serra, 2009) — Farmiga & Sarsgaard in adoption horror-thriller

They should have replaced it with "You'll never hate a movie as much as this one."
Supermallet is offline  
Old 07-22-09, 10:39 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 57,311
Re: Orphan (Collet-Serra, 2009) — Farmiga & Sarsgaard in adoption horror-thriller

I don't know about the movie, but that is one of the coolest movie posters I've seen in a while. That creepy chick looks cool on bus stops.

I have her face as the background pic on my Blackberry.
Giantrobo is offline  
Old 07-22-09, 11:07 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Charlie Goose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Sesame Street (the apt. next to Bob's)
Posts: 20,199
Re: Orphan (Collet-Serra, 2009) — Farmiga & Sarsgaard in adoption horror-thriller

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne View Post
Here you go. I have the screenplay.
If that is really the synopsis, this movie just went to the top of my MUST SEE list.
Charlie Goose is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.