Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Best Andrei Tarkovsky movie

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Best Andrei Tarkovsky movie
Stalker
32.43%
The Mirror
2.70%
Solyaris
37.84%
Nostalghia
2.70%
The Sacrifice
0
0%
Ivan's Childhood
2.70%
Andrei Rublev
21.62%
Other (Say what it is)
0
0%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Best Andrei Tarkovsky movie

Old 03-30-09, 05:30 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 232
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Andrei Tarkovsky movie

Which Andrei Tarkovsky movie would you consider his best, or your personal favorite?
Old 03-30-09, 05:31 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,913
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Best Andrei Tarkovsky movie

Solaris
Old 03-30-09, 07:39 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nightmare Alley
Posts: 17,112
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Best Andrei Tarkovsky movie

I went with Andrei Rublev.
Old 03-30-09, 10:40 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
riotinmyskull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: portsmouth, va
Posts: 9,176
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Best Andrei Tarkovsky movie

i really wish i could vote here, but i've only seen solaris.
Old 03-30-09, 11:26 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 869
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Best Andrei Tarkovsky movie

well... i've only watched Solaris and Ivan's Chidhood.. and i didn't care much for Ivan's Childhood aside from the visually magnificent cinematography
Old 03-30-09, 11:33 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 17,003
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Best Andrei Tarkovsky movie

Solaris. It's creepier to me than most horror movies.
Old 03-31-09, 05:42 AM
  #7  
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: America!
Posts: 33,887
Received 155 Likes on 112 Posts
Re: Best Andrei Tarkovsky movie

Stalker.
Old 03-31-09, 08:34 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Near the Great Salt Lake
Posts: 1,400
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Best Andrei Tarkovsky movie

I love "Solaris" and "Stalker" about equally, but if I had to choose one I would say "Stalker".
Old 03-31-09, 10:05 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 42,522
Received 214 Likes on 150 Posts
Re: Best Andrei Tarkovsky movie

They're all good, but I'd also have to say Stalker.

I tend to find Russia art really dreary and dreadful, and mostly it makes me want to go to sleep or dig up Eisenstein's body so I can kick his bony ass just once for all of us folk who wish we'd never heard the phrase "Soviet montage".

Tarvovsky is pretty much the exception and Stalker is a film that's haunted me since the first time I saw it. I don't want to make any comments about the dramatic action, because I doubt I'm actually capable, but I would like to point out that I've never seen a movie which has such a complex relationship to sound. I don't think anyone has ever really come close to developing such a textured and interactive relationship. If you ever bother to see this movie, really, listen to it as much as you watch it. You'll be amazed.
Old 03-31-09, 08:07 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Norm de Plume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Toronto
Posts: 17,609
Received 229 Likes on 179 Posts
Re: Best Andrei Tarkovsky movie

Originally Posted by Sondheim View Post
I love "Solaris" and "Stalker" about equally, but if I had to choose one I would say "Stalker".
Same here.
Old 03-31-09, 08:40 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: waiting for forum.dvdtalk.com ...
Posts: 2,755
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Best Andrei Tarkovsky movie

Originally Posted by Sondheim View Post
I love "Solaris" and "Stalker" about equally, but if I had to choose one I would say "Stalker".
i feel the same, but i went with solyaris.
Old 04-01-09, 10:50 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dr Mabuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 75 clicks above the Do Lung bridge...
Posts: 18,946
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Best Andrei Tarkovsky movie

I've posted this before, but for those of who didn't see it then you may find this interesting:

Tarkovsky's 'Stalker' is my pick for the most tragic loss in the history of film.

See he had a huge budget for 'Stalker', big production, he filmed the entire movie and edited it. They had a few master copies made of the final film. Now you all know Tarkovsky knew how to use a budget and not let effect shots take over a film, 'Solaris' is a fine example of that, the huge budget and sets didn't distract from the human story, it enhanced it.

Anyway the building that Andrei edited and finished 'Stalker' in burned to the ground. Every copy of the film and the negatives were lost forever. So Andrei had to re-shoot the film on a shoestring budget. Just shy of an indie film. From what little I have read about the original Andrei commented that they had accomplished some of the 'effects' of the Zone like the supergravity, the blue wisps, the witches brew, and etc. very effectively. We will never see it. It's a testament to Tarkovsky as my pick for the greatest director in the history of film that he pulled of what he did on a shoestring budget.

But in the shoestring version all we have are the warnings of the Stalker, nothing to really show/reveal the nature and danger of the zone. I can imagine the movie being effective with a few well placed effect shots instead of just exposition by the Stalker about the dangers. You know why they throw the bolts in the short story, for only one example.

If you read the short story 'Roadside Picnic',you'll know what I'm talking about on the effects.

For my favorite I guess I would go with 'Andrei Rublev'.
Old 04-01-09, 10:57 AM
  #13  
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,604
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Best Andrei Tarkovsky movie

Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
I went with Andrei Rublev.
me too. had a hard time deciding on that or Stalker
Old 04-01-09, 11:48 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cumbernauld Scotland
Posts: 969
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Re: Best Andrei Tarkovsky movie

Never herd of him
Old 04-01-09, 11:48 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,913
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Best Andrei Tarkovsky movie

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
I've posted this before, but for those of who didn't see it then you may find this interesting:

Tarkovsky's 'Stalker' is my pick for the most tragic loss in the history of film.

See he had a huge budget for 'Stalker', big production, he filmed the entire movie and edited it. They had a few master copies made of the final film. Now you all know Tarkovsky knew how to use a budget and not let effect shots take over a film, 'Solaris' is a fine example of that, the huge budget and sets didn't distract from the human story, it enhanced it.

Anyway the building that Andrei edited and finished 'Stalker' in burned to the ground. Every copy of the film and the negatives were lost forever. So Andrei had to re-shoot the film on a shoestring budget. Just shy of an indie film. From what little I have read about the original Andrei commented that they had accomplished some of the 'effects' of the Zone like the supergravity, the blue wisps, the witches brew, and etc. very effectively. We will never see it. It's a testament to Tarkovsky as my pick for the greatest director in the history of film that he pulled of what he did on a shoestring budget.

But in the shoestring version all we have are the warnings of the Stalker, nothing to really show/reveal the nature and danger of the zone. I can imagine the movie being effective with a few well placed effect shots instead of just exposition by the Stalker about the dangers. You know why they throw the bolts in the short story, for only one example.

If you read the short story 'Roadside Picnic',you'll know what I'm talking about on the effects.

For my favorite I guess I would go with 'Andrei Rublev'.
Very interesting. I wonder if this is kinda like a Jaws situation... where less is more. Guess we'll never know.
Old 04-01-09, 11:56 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Jazzbutcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: NYC Burbs
Posts: 2,702
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Best Andrei Tarkovsky movie

I read somewhere that the reshoot was caused by improperly developed film. Either way, Stalker gets my vote...just rewatched it yesterday.
Old 04-01-09, 12:37 PM
  #17  
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,604
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Best Andrei Tarkovsky movie

Originally Posted by MR Round View Post
Never herd of him
he's not sheep.
Old 04-01-09, 02:52 PM
  #18  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Posts: 20,053
Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: Best Andrei Tarkovsky movie

I've seen all his features except for The Sacrifice, and I voted for Stalker.

Regarding the first version of Stalker, I believe the footage was destroyed by the lab while being developed. There was no final cut yet. They used an experimental film stock from Kodak that was specially imported from the capitalist West. I've heard it suggested that the disaster in the lab may have been the result of incompetent lab workers that didn't know how to handle this film stock. I've also heard it suggested that it may have been deliberate sabotage by the lab who were jealous of the luxuries being lavished on Tarkovski.

I also dream of seeing this first version. Stalker, probably more than any movie ever made, has an incredible "mystique" around it: The first version being destroyed, the fact that nearly everyone who worked on the film died of cancer within the next 20 years (thought to be a result of industrial/nuclear waste at the locations), and the strange way the film's design seems to predict the appearance of the Chernobyl fallout, all give the film one of the weirdest vibes of all time.

Last edited by Mabuse; 04-02-09 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-01-09, 04:42 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dr Mabuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 75 clicks above the Do Lung bridge...
Posts: 18,946
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Best Andrei Tarkovsky movie

Originally Posted by tdirgins View Post
I read somewhere that the reshoot was caused by improperly developed film. Either way, Stalker gets my vote...just rewatched it yesterday.
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I've seen all his features except for The Sacrifice, and I voted for Stalker.

Regarding the first version of Stalker, I believe the footage was destroyed by the lab while being developed. There was no final cut yet. They used an experimental film stock from Kodak that was specially imported from the capitalist West. I've heard it suggested that the disaster in the lab may have been the result of incompetent lab workers that didn't know how to handle this film stock. I've also heard it suggested that it may have been deliberate sabotage by the lab who were jealous of the luxuries being lavished on Tarkovski.


I also dream of seeing this first version. Stalker, probably more than any movie ever made, has an incredible "mystique" around it: The first version being destroyed, the fact that nearly everyone who worked on the film died of cancer within the next 20 years (thought to be a result of industrial/nuclear waste at the locations, and the strange way the film's design seems to predict the appearance of the Chernobyl fallout, all give the film one of the weirdest vibes of all time.
You guys pretty sure about it being a lab error with the film?

I wish I could remember where I read it was a fire, maybe I mixed it up over the years.

Either way that the first version was vastly different is something that was attested to by Tarkovsky and others. The brothers who wrote 'Roadside Picnic', the short story the film is based on, wrote the screenplay for the first version of the film. The second 'shoestring' version was so different from the original screenplay Andrei wrote the brothers a letter of apology for changing it so much. I wish I could remember where I read that too.
Old 08-01-12, 09:29 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 50,069
Received 139 Likes on 89 Posts
Re: Best Andrei Tarkovsky movie

I love all of Tarkovsky's films but I have to say that my least favorite is Ivan's Childhood. It is very difficult for me to pick one from his other 6 films, they all have touched me personally in one way or another.
Yes they are all that good! Today I will go with Solaris.
Old 08-02-12, 05:35 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ash Ketchum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 12,134
Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts
Re: Best Andrei Tarkovsky movie

I'm ashamed to say I've never seen a Tarkovsky movie and I've had plenty of opportunities to do so. I have SOLARIS on tape and had pulled it out for the Sci-Fi Challenge last month over on DVD Talk, but never had the time or energy to devote to it. I also have the book it's based on and have been meaning to read it first.
Old 08-02-12, 07:14 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Jaymole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: N.Y, N.Y
Posts: 9,883
Received 156 Likes on 89 Posts
Re: Best Andrei Tarkovsky movie

1- Andrei Rublev
2- Solaris
3- Stalker
Old 08-02-12, 07:23 AM
  #23  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CALI!
Posts: 6,972
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Best Andrei Tarkovsky movie

Stalker but I like all of his movies.
Old 08-02-12, 09:30 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 7,249
Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts
Re: Best Andrei Tarkovsky movie

It's the only one I've seen, but Andrei Rublev is an incredible film.
Old 08-02-12, 09:38 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
toddly6666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 6,290
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Best Andrei Tarkovsky movie

Night Watch/Day Watch.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.