Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Youth in Revolt (2009) - Michael Cera is comedy gold!

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Youth in Revolt (2009) - Michael Cera is comedy gold!

Old 01-09-10, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Youth in Revolt (2009) - Michael Cera is comedy gold!

Saw this today and thought it was really good. It was well written, well acted, and very funny. Yes, Michael Cera is playing the same character he always does, but it still works and makes me laugh.

I also really appreciated how quirky and different this was than most teenage comedies. You really can't tell how the whole thing will end up, but when it does, its satisfying. I applaud a movie that takes chances to be different than the mainstream crap hollywood usually churns out, especially when it is as successful as this.

I would give this 3 stars out of 4 and recommend people see it. Don't listen to Brian Orndorf's review, this was a very good and enjoyable movie.
Old 01-11-10, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 219 Likes on 131 Posts

Overall, I didn't have an overly high opinion of the movie, but it did have some very funny moments, most of them involving Francois Dillinger. I was a big fan of Michael Cera in the AD days, but Superbad's about the only movie he's been in where he didn't grate on me a little. He does a great job of playing against his usual type of role with the Dillinger character in this and hopefully it'll open up some opportunities for him that are a little more interesting. I think he's a great comedy actor, but got typecast into a role that got old really fast.
Old 01-11-10, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts

Comment/question from having read the book (last time was a while ago) and not yet seen the movie:

Spoiler:
In the book, I always got the feel that Nick was not the first thing on Sheeni's mind, that while they did hang out and fool around, Nick thought the relationship was a lot more than Sheeni did and that Sheeni was either playing with Nick or just killing time. Does that come across in the movie? I think that's part of what made the book funny, seeing their relationship through Nick's eyes but being able to see clues to how she felt about him and realize what they meant.

I'm on the fence about this - I'm not a huge Cera fan, although I did really like Arrested Development, and I think he's not a bad choice for Nick; but I love the book so much, I'm concerned there's no way it'll come close to my enjoyment of it. But it has been a while since I've read the book so I wouldn't do a scene by scene comparison.
Old 01-12-10, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Caught this last night. It was alright (especially when it came to the alter ego), but I just can't stand the 'Juno talk'. People in real life just don't speak like that. I fuckin' hate it.
Old 01-12-10, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dtcarson
Comment/question from having read the book (last time was a while ago) and not yet seen the movie:

Spoiler:
In the book, I always got the feel that Nick was not the first thing on Sheeni's mind, that while they did hang out and fool around, Nick thought the relationship was a lot more than Sheeni did and that Sheeni was either playing with Nick or just killing time. Does that come across in the movie? I think that's part of what made the book funny, seeing their relationship through Nick's eyes but being able to see clues to how she felt about him and realize what they meant.

I'm on the fence about this - I'm not a huge Cera fan, although I did really like Arrested Development, and I think he's not a bad choice for Nick; but I love the book so much, I'm concerned there's no way it'll come close to my enjoyment of it. But it has been a while since I've read the book so I wouldn't do a scene by scene comparison.
Spoiler:
That really wasn't how it was portrayed in the movie. Sheeni wasn't crazy about Nick at first, but it went pretty quickly to finding a way to be together. It was a fairly jarring transition which didn't help the flow of the movie.
Old 01-12-10, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BravesMG
Spoiler:
That really wasn't how it was portrayed in the movie. Sheeni wasn't crazy about Nick at first, but it went pretty quickly to finding a way to be together. It was a fairly jarring transition which didn't help the flow of the movie.
That was my problem with it too. I just didn't believe their relationship at all, and since the entire movie was predicated on that, it fell apart for me.
Old 08-02-10, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 733 Likes on 445 Posts

Sucky movie. Faux hipster teens are always obnoxious, but I can look past that. Cera doing the same miserable shtick? Untolerable, but whatever. The plot is pedestrian, characters are unbelievably mundane, and for all of its pseudo-erudite "quirky" veneer, the overall theme of the movie is trite and cliche. One of the biggest waste of times I've had to endure all year.
Old 05-14-11, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts

Just watched this. I watched the last forty minutes in fast forward. I usually only do that when I'm falling asleep - but this time I wasn't falling asleep, just bored.
Disappointing. I did like watching the Berkeley scene, but the rest of it is forgettable. I know no movie is as good as the book, or anywhere near as complete, but the relationship between Nick and Sheeni is so different from that in the book, and seems to be a pretty typical Hollywood romance, and even with Nick being so 'bad' (which, admittedly, he is) the movie seems much more prosaic than I expected.
Old 05-14-11, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I guess I never posted my mini-review of this crappy movie:

A somewhat promising lowkey beginning basically stalls in the midsection, and never really does recover for any feeling of satisfaction for this viewer. It was equally frustrating and boring, never a good combination.

Imagine a game of whack-a-mole where in the place of the mole heads, you had the heads of the various characters in this movie, and I'd have no problem whacking any of the heads that popped up.

I give it 1.75 stars, or a grade of C-.