DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   What theatres do you frequent the most (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/552180-what-theatres-do-you-frequent-most.html)

Giles 03-24-09 10:30 AM

What theatres do you frequent the most

With the DC area having many options on where to go to the movies, I tend to gravitate to

- AMC Mazza (walking distance of home)
- The Avalon ( " " )
- Landmark E Street

Virginia:
- AMC Hoffman (for IMAX-Digital features)
- AMC Tysons
- National Amusement's Cinema De Lux

Maryland:
- AFI Silver
- Landmark Bethesda Row

~

where do you go the movies? If you aren't in a major metropolis, how many theatres are there to choose from? How far do you have travel to said theatres?

fumanstan 03-24-09 10:33 AM

Re: What theatres do you frequent the most

Here in Irvine, I usually go to the Irvine Spectrum or The District in Tustin. I prefer the District since it's the newest theater, and doesn't have so many kids and teens like the Spectrum does as a big mall.

outcastja 03-24-09 10:48 AM

I used to prefer Irvine Spectrum for midnight showings, they usually have fun energetic crowds. Now I go to the Bridge or Arclight for midnight showing because I'm getting to old to wait for hours to get a good seat, so their assigned seating is a blessing. The bitch is being on top of it when seats become available because the good seats get taken pretty quickly.

MrSmearkase 03-24-09 10:53 AM

Regal Westborough (Close to my house, and they accept Movie Money from DVDs)
Regal Solomon Pond (Same as above, but its also easier to sneak into other films in this theatre)
AMC Framingham Premium (Full bar, dining room, in-theater dining, 21+, and saw the Best Picture showcase there this past year)
Jordan's IMAX Natick
Patriot Cinemas East Providence - ($1.99 sub-run theatre)

beavis69 03-24-09 10:55 AM

Ive moved around alot in the last 3 years(5 places) so ive yet to establish a norm theater. My favorite was Santikos Bijiou at Crossroads in San Antonio. Going to Seattle this weekend and im hoping to find a decent theater

An4h0ny 03-24-09 11:06 AM

I used to always go to the Laemmle Encino Town Center but I moved so now I rarely go to the movies.

superdeluxe 03-24-09 11:14 AM

We go to your standard Regal theater for big movies.

For 'Indie' Filmes we go to the Grand Cinemas: http://www.grandcinema.com/

It is a non-profit art house and is ran by volunteers.

wendersfan 03-24-09 11:16 AM

The Wexner Center Film and Video Theater.

Rockmjd23 03-24-09 11:23 AM

Showcase Cinemas Randolph for major releases, Coolidge Corner for indies.

Geofferson 03-24-09 11:24 AM

Minneapolis
AMC Southdale (closest w/ stadium seating)
Landmark Lagoon/Uptown
Parkway (www.theparkwaytheater.com)

sauce07 03-24-09 11:27 AM

Virginia
Worldgate Phoenix Theaters
National Amusement's Cinema De Lux
Regal Countryside 20
Cinema Arts Theater @ Fair City Mall

DC
Uptown

Maryland
Bethesda Row

Mordred 03-24-09 11:35 AM

The Alamo Drafthouse. Greatest. Theater. Ever.

My Other Self 03-24-09 11:41 AM

San Fran
AMC Loews Metreon 16 & IMAX

Sacramento
UA Roseville 12
Century Roseville 16
Regal Natomas 16
Regal El Dorado Hills 14 (for IMAX movies)
UA Sunrise 4 (cheap shows)

Giles 03-24-09 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by sauce07 (Post 9345848)
Virginia
Worldgate Phoenix Theaters
National Amusement's Cinema De Lux
Regal Countryside 20
Cinema Arts Theater @ Fair City Mall

DC
Uptown

Maryland
Bethesda Row

I like the Uptown, but the turn around time from movie to movie sometimes seems like forever.

Matthew Chmiel 03-24-09 12:00 PM

Las Vegas

Regular screenings
Rave Town Square 18
Regal Red Rock 16

For independent releases
Regal Village Square 18
Century Suncoast 16

The Bus 03-24-09 12:08 PM

For regular stuff, I will go to the local Regal cinemas.

For IMAX, I go to the Regal in King of Prussia.

For limited releases, I go to one of the Ritz theaters in Philly.

My favorite theater in NYC is the BAM.

majorjoe23 03-24-09 12:17 PM

I love single screen/smaller theaters. In Des Moines I try to make Merle Hay Mall Cinema, Fleur and the Varsity my first picks.

I used to go to Cinemark for most mainstream stuff, but my girlfriend doesn't want us going there because of a Prop 8 boycott. I still have a $20 giftcard too!

Travis McClain 03-24-09 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mordred (Post 9345875)
The Alamo Drafthouse. Greatest. Theater. Ever.

I am quite jealous of you! The Rolling Roadshow came to Fort Knox two years ago to screen Goldfinger and I fell in love with them then and there.

As for my theatrical options, I live in a county where we have one theater, the Great Escape Oldham 8. They opened sometime in the third quarter of 1995 (I know this because I had to go elsewhere to see Batman Forever that year, which opened 16 July). This, after countless, agonizing years of pining away for a local theater. Within three years, a competitor opened on just the other side of the county line (Tinseltown USA, a Cinemark operation). They've got nearly four times the screens, stadium seating, digital screens, etc. Naturally, in short order, the Oldham 8 was negatively impacted. It's still in service, and I frequent it whenever I can; not because it's a superior theater (it clearly isn't), but because I can't bring it in me to abandon the theater I waited 17 years of my life to have.

There is also the Baxter Avenue Theaters in Louisville. They used to screen the art house films, but that's moved largely to their sister theater. We still make it out there frequently, though, because they do a midnight screening every other Saturday night of a popular cult film. Just a week ago, they showed Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!

Giles 03-24-09 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 (Post 9345986)
I love single screen/smaller theaters. In Des Moines I try to make Merle Hay Mall Cinema, Fleur and the Varsity my first picks.

I used to go to Cinemark for most mainstream stuff, but my girlfriend doesn't want us going there because of a Prop 8 boycott. I still have a $20 giftcard too!

I hadn't heard about the Prop 8/Cinemark story before you mentioned it

Prop 8 opponents boycott
Cinemark
Cinemark CEO made donation supporting
measure
Updated: Thursday, 20 Nov 2008, 10:29 AM CST
Published : Wednesday, 19 Nov 2008, 8:53 PM CST

Shannon Wolfson
AUSTIN (KXAN) - A movement to boycott Cinemark movie theatres is gaining momentum, especially in the online blogging community. Opponents of California's Proposition 8 have called for a boycott of the North Texas-based movie theatre chain after it was revealed that the company's CEO, Alan Stock, made a $9,999 donation to the "Yes on Prop 8" effort.

"I think this is one way I can make my voice heard," said Austin resident Heath Riddles. "I think how I spend my money is a very impactful way."

Riddles is boycotting Cinemark theaters. "I support an individual's right to donate to causes that he or she believes in 100 percent," said Riddles. "I'm totally behind that. But also as a consumer, I feel like I have a right to make a decision about where I want to spend my dollars and the businesses I want to support."

Cinemark has made public statements that Stock's donation was a personal one and was not in any way made on behalf of the company. Some of those who oppose Prop 8 are also opposing the Cinemark boycott, arguing it will hurt the company's employees and not the CEO.

sauce07 03-24-09 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 9345920)
I like the Uptown, but the turn around time from movie to movie sometimes seems like forever.

I know, and I wish they'd show more classics.

FantasticVSDoom 03-24-09 12:56 PM

NYC:
The crappy UA Kaufman Astoria Stadium 14 that's down the street from me
AMC Empire 25 in Times Square (hate going there because its TS, but I love the theatre)
The Imaginasian (on occasion)
The Angelika Film Center

Matthew Chmiel 03-24-09 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom (Post 9346072)
NYC:
The crappy UA Kaufman Astoria Stadium 14

That is a pretty shitty multiplex. I went there late one night to see Click when the friend I was visiting had to work. Not only was it late at night, but the place was fucking packed. [I honestly believe I went on a Sunday night, but I could be wrong.]

Gdrlv 03-24-09 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel (Post 9345942)
Las Vegas

Regular screenings
Rave Town Square 18
Regal Red Rock 16

For independent releases
Regal Village Square 18
Century Suncoast 16

I frequent Red Rock and Palms for regular flicks, and Village Square and Suncoast for indies. Still haven't seen a movie at Town Square. Heard nothing but good things about the theater though...

Giles 03-24-09 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom (Post 9346072)
The Angelika Film Center

I find it odd, that depending on the auditorium, you can hear the subway right under the theatre.

The Bus 03-24-09 01:21 PM

I'm not a big fan of the Angelika because the seating is too rectangular. I don't like being very far away from the screen. I prefer the somewhat-nearby Film Forum.