Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Anne Hathaway to play Judy Garland onscreen & onstage in "Get Happy" adaptation

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-09, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From Variety:
Anne Hathaway will play Judy Garland in the Weinstein Co.'s legit and film adaptations of the biography "Get Happy."

TWC recently optioned legit and film rights to the book, first published by Delta in 2001.

VP of production and development Ben Famiglietti, whose purview includes both film and legit productions, said it is unclear which version would come first. The stage version would naturally be cheaper and quicker to produce, but some filmmakers could even guide both, starting with a film.

While Garland's life and legacy have been explored before in popular culture, Weinstein noted Clarke's take "is particularly outstanding because of its exclusive details from her own writings."

Famiglietti said Hathaway's commitment has already prompted strong interest from filmmakers, screenwriters and librettists.

"You get an enhanced perspective of Judy Garland through this book and we feel Anne can really put her own stamp on that," he said.

Garland was the subject of an Emmy-winning 2001 telepic produced by Craig Zadan and Neil Meron. She also appeared as a character in Broadway's "The Boy From Oz," and Rufus Wainwright performed a sold-out, one-night re-creation of Garland's famed concert at Carnegie Hall.

"Get Happy" is the second legit project for Hathaway to be announced this spring. The thesp stars later this summer in the Shakespeare in the Park production of "Twelfth Night."

The actress, who showed off her singing chops during this year's Oscarcast, has long been discussed as a promising candidate for a Broadway stint. Over the past few years she's been tipped to be circling a couple of Rialto tuners, including "Guys and Dolls" (which opened this spring with another cast) and a potential revival of "Promises, Promises."
Old 03-23-09, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Re: Anne Hathaway to play Judy Garland onscreen & onstage in "Get Happy" adaptation

Get that spot on the mantle ready for Oscar.
Old 03-23-09, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Anne Hathaway to play Judy Garland onscreen & onstage in "Get Happy" adaptation

excellent news.
Old 03-23-09, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep, seems like ideal casting in terms of looks and talent.
Old 03-23-09, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Yeah, I'm with you guys.
Old 03-24-09, 02:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anne is gonna be amazing as Garland..can't wait to see it and well all I can say is she WILL be the future Best Actress defenitly or at least should be! Make way for Anne!
Old 03-24-09, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Excellent casting.
Old 03-24-09, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope she gets a chance to do this on stage first - I saw her in a concert version of the Broadway musical CARNIVAL in 2002 before most of her major films ever opened, and she was the "who IS she" knockout on stage.

Last edited by marty888; 03-24-09 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-24-09, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I'd have cast Anne Hathaway as Lorna Luft. That's about her speed. (Y'know, Judy's OTHER daughter?)
Old 03-24-09, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Get that spot on the mantle ready for Oscar.
First thing that crossed my mind also.
Old 03-24-09, 11:14 AM
FM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry all, but my first thought was, "let's hope it's 'Get Naked.'" That's all the enthusiasm I can muster right now.