Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Year One (Ramis, 2009) - Jack Black & Michael Cera in Biblical Times

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Year One (Ramis, 2009) - Jack Black & Michael Cera in Biblical Times

Old 06-20-09, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Year One (Ramis, 2009) - Jack Black & Michael Cera in Biblical Times

Originally Posted by beavis69
Bite your tongue sir. Be Kind Rewind was a great movie.
To each their own. I thought it was fucking horrible. It was the last movie I thought about walking out on (I don't ever actually walk out).
Old 06-21-09, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I enjoyed the heck out of Be Kind Rewind too. The negative reviews are swaying me from seeing this now though
Old 06-21-09, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might see this at a friend's behest, who thinks I cannot break my apparent "I've seen every Harold Ramis movie since Multiplicity in theaters" streak (and I'm not making that up at all), but yeah it looks weak considering the talent involved.

Jack Black has been in a lot of shit recently, but lest we forget his virulent, star-making (in my opinion) turn in High Fidelity. His track record's been spotty recently though outside Tropic Thunder: Nacho Libre was lukewarm (with the exception of the corn on the cob snack through the eye which had me in tears), the Tenacious D movie was decent, and Be Kind Rewind imploded in its abysmal third act.
Old 06-21-09, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
dont forget tobias funke.
How did I forget about the Analrapist!

Originally Posted by dino88
To each their own. I thought it was fucking horrible. It was the last movie I thought about walking out on (I don't ever actually walk out).
I too thought Be Kind Rewind was horrible.
Old 06-21-09, 01:10 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Son of Rambo was the movie Be Kind Rewind wanted to be, but I thought Be Kind Rewind was sweet and it certainly wasn't a typical Jack Black role. I still think he peaked with School of Rock.
Old 06-21-09, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Saw this tonight with a friend of mine.

I wouldn't say the film is god-awful as it was uneven and awkward. There was a handful of funny moments, but overall the film was plain. Most of the crowd that was in theater (and it was a packed Saturday night), seemed to react the same way. The laughs came in really long spurts, mostly coming at the standard gross-out jokes.

The credits/bloopers were a lot more funny than the entire film. I also wish the entire film was about Bill Hader's random character
Old 06-21-09, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Agreed.

And needed more Paul Rudd
Old 06-21-09, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
The trailer looked hilarious and you really can't go wrong with Jack Black and Michael Sera (when have these guys ever made a bad film?), but I'm waiting to see what Ben Lyons thinks of the movie. He's probably the most insightful critic out there right now when it comes to separating the good movies from the crappy ones.
Did Groucho get a new screen name?
Old 06-21-09, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jason
Noted film scholar Victoria Jackson didn't like it very much.
I am trying to figure this out. Nobody ever said Victoria Jackson was a film scholar, so obviously this is meant to be sarcastic. But in a way that it makes it seem like you are putting her down for not liking the movie. So in effect you are saying you like it?
Old 06-21-09, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jason
Noted film scholar Victoria Jackson didn't like it very much.

http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/vj...ar-one-crying/
Old 06-21-09, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly
Ramis' last good film was Multiplicty and that was in 1996. Everything since then has been scattershot. I blame the over-the-top funny the trailer aims for but falls flat. All of the perverse jokes and it's R-rated botching just make it some stupid comedy aimed to teens.
You didn't think Analyze This was a high mark?
Jack Black:
Envy
Nacho Libre
Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny
Be Kind Rewind

Michael Cera:
Extreme Movie
Despite being a huge Gondry fan, I too found BKR to be a little off. There are some good elements to it, but Jack Black was the one that I found to be the most problematic. As for Extreme Movie, did you see it or are you guessing? It's not a Friedberg/Seltzer spoof movie, FYI. It's actually a sketch comedy. The Lonely Island wrote a segment. I heard it was alright.

I think Orange County is actually fairly underrated, and that also has Ramis in it (at his fattest, I might add).

I didn't see Year One, but I might when it hits the dollar theaters. Does it feel like the movie could be significantly better if it was rated R?
Old 06-21-09, 12:33 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not really. I didn't feel like it was constrained by the rating. It was constrained by the writing.
Old 06-22-09, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see, roughly, ninety movies or so per year in theaters. That number has been the same for the past five or six years. In all that time, I have yet to walk out of a movie. I have been tempted many times over, but never actually done so.

This made me come closer than almost any film has in recent memory. I would attempt to delve a bit more into the reasoning behind it, but I think me almost walking out is enough.

And, in all that time of seeing movies, I have only actually seen, at most, half a dozen people walk out of a film during it. Today, I saw two people do just that, after sitting through about twenty minutes of it. A terrible film on any level.
Old 06-22-09, 09:36 PM

I went in with high hopes, and yes, it was awful. I only laughed once,
Spoiler:
Michael Cera in jail upside-down.
Old 06-23-09, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

This is a movie that was searching for an identity just as the two leads were. It's bad when the outtakes at the end are clearly more funny than the whole movie.
Old 06-23-09, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
This is a movie that was searching for an identity just as the two leads were. It's bad when the outtakes at the end are clearly more funny than the whole movie.

I guess it's that "Send 'em out laughing and maybe they'll forget the first 90 minutes" approach to film-making.
Old 06-28-09, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not really surprising, but this dropped over 70 percent in its second weekend at the box office.
Old 06-28-09, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Seantn
Not really surprising, but this dropped over 70 percent in its second weekend at the box office.
So I guess we won't be seeing 'Year Two' anytime soon.
Old 06-30-09, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can't believe I just went and paid to see this (long story) but it's pure crap. You could cut and paste Black and Cera from every other thing they've ever done, photoshop a crappy loin cloth rag on them, and insert them into this junk without anyone noticing. Black especially has now officially outstayed his welcome with me. I gave him another shot after I liked him in Tropic Thunder, but he's actively annoying at this point.

I'd say I chuckled 5 or 6 times, but don't even remember what I was laughing at an hour after I left.
Old 08-18-09, 01:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jack Black:
Envy
Nacho Libre
Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny
Be Kind Rewind
I know this is a older thread, but I had to comment on this.

Tenacious D and The Pick of Destiny was an awesome movie, its my favorite Jack Black film along with School of Rock and Tropic Thunder. I also like Nacho Libre and Be Kind Rewind. But Envy was pretty bad.
Old 11-13-09, 08:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I'm really shocked at the vitriolic reactions to this. It's nowhere near as bad as some of the other films that have come out this summer (looking at you Terminator). It's just a generic, middle of the road comedy. It never sets the screen alight but it also doesn't make you want to stab yourself the way The Love Guru or any Tyler Perry movie does. Is the strong reaction due to the fact that Harold Ramis is capable of so much more? Because I really don't think this movie is bad enough to justify some of the comments on here.
I'm not. My wife and I tried to watch this last night and promptly turned it off after 20 minutes. I wanted to break the fucking disc in half it was so bad, but decided to just send it back to Netflix intact, instead.

It's worse than generic. It's not even ON the fucking road, it's so terrible. I never saw the The Love Guru, but if it's worse than this "film" I will make a point to avoid it.

I typically like JB - although not ALL the time - and I love almost everything that Apatow has had his name attached to. However, this movie isn't bad due to the capabilities of the cast and crew. It's bad no matter WHO was behind or in front of the camera.

Ugh. 0 out of 5 stars.
Old 11-13-09, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 380 Likes on 306 Posts

I wanted to break the fucking disc in half it was so bad, but decided to just send it back to Netflix intact, instead.