Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sequel to The Long Kiss Goodnight (Jackson, Harlin)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-17-09, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Just caught this news on IMDB. I love the original, my favorite movies with Geena.

Jackson And Harlin Keen To Kiss Again

Samuel L. Jackson and Renny Harlin are in talks to revisit their 1996 action movie The Long Kiss Goodnight without the director's former leading lady and ex-wife Geena Davis.

Jackson has been quietly developing the project with Harlin for the past two years, and now the moviemaker reveals he has a storyline for a sequel, which would revolve around the Pulp Fiction star's character, Mitch Henessey.

The Finnish filmmaker tells MovieHole.net, "I do have a storyline for it that I worked out and I know exactly what would happen and I think it would be fantastic.

"I can reveal as much as saying it would be Sam Jackson crossing paths with Geena Davis' daughter from the first movie, who, in the first movie was about six years old, and who would now be about 19 or 20."

Harlin insists he is very interested in making the sequel - because The Long Kiss Goodnight is his favourite film experience.

He adds, "It’s a movie that had a really good screenplay, which meant that I was able to get really good actors... When you have characters that are complex and you have good drama, and some humour and some good action, you kind of have all the ingredients... It was a great experience.''

This could work, and I hope it can bring the same ammount of action as the first. Interested to see how the daughter would come in play.
Old 03-17-09, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: Sequel to The Long Kiss Goodnight (Jackson, Harlin)

hum, i'm 50/50 on this. I absolutely love the original and still remember talking my mom into seeing it when I was 13, she wanted to see The Ghost and the Darkness. Hopefully they name it something completely different, so that if it sucks I can forget about it.
Old 03-17-09, 11:48 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Without Geena Davis? Dumb.
Old 03-17-09, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bet they could get Geena involved for at least a little of the film. While the IMDb article, which are always terribly written, insinuates (from nothing) that the project is specifically designed to avoid Davis' character, that's not what Harlin actually said in any of his quotes. I know they were married and are now divorced, but I bet she'd still be willing to appear for some of it.

Before we start talking sequels, though, we need a decent SE of part 1. Jackson said it was his favorite movie of the ones he's made, so here's to a Harlin/Jackson audio commentary.
Old 03-17-09, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

^ The sequel would provide an opportunity for a SE (on DVD and BD).
Old 03-17-09, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No Geena Davis? Interesting....
I'll still check this out....
Old 03-17-09, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There won't be any glorious scenery destruction by Craig Bierko though.

"They said he saw something that quote-unquote 'disturbed him.'"
"Yeah, I saw it too, it's called Baywatch Nights. Want to get to the fucking point?"

Love the original, but I hope there's some Black magic involved here. It's like Ludlum on meth.
Old 03-17-09, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

I wouldn't mind a sequel with Jackson's character, but I'd really prefer a remake with Angelina Jolie in Geena's part. I love the original, but it's something that could work for other actresses with new approaches to the action.
Old 03-17-09, 08:40 PM
Banned

"Got my keys in my left pocket.....gun in the right hand side...."

I'm on board!
Old 03-17-09, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Oh great lines in the first

Charlie: Oh honey, only four inches?
Timothy: You'll feel me.

Mitch: Oh, shit! Ah, that hurt like shit!
Samantha: I know. That's why I distracted you first. Same principle as deflowering virgins.
Mitch: Huh? What? Virgin - ? What?
Samantha: Read it in this Harold Robbins book. Guy bites her on the ear. Distracts from the pain. Ever try that?
Mitch: No, no, I sock 'em in the jaw and yell, "Pop goes the weasel."
Old 03-17-09, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

Awesome. I have fond memories of kicking and screaming and sneaking around just so I could see The Long Kiss Goodnight. I was twelve-or-so at the time.

I'm always unsure whether the first one 'worked' or not. Some stuff didn't work. Some stuff did. I know - it's all an action flick. But, say, look at Speed. Speed is ridiculous, but works - the entire time. Actually, Deep Blue Sea was the same way. Cliffhanger was similar, but actually seemed to work on a more 'real' level and didn't feel so heavy on the escapism.

More than anything, I'd be happy to see Renny Harlin back to working on a large action production. None of his movies stood out too much lately. I think the last really enjoyable one was Deep Blue Sea.

Maybe Shane Black will come back again. He really is the go-to guy for the top-quality action crop. A sequel should have those clever, kinda-dickish lines.
Old 03-17-09, 10:49 PM
Banned

Long Kiss GOodnight is great, great fun. Its an extremely impressive action movie thats also got a great script. I doubt we'll see a sequel though. Harlin use to be able to make films that looked impressive. Now he seems to make only films that look like they were direct to dvd.