Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Is From Hell with Johnny Depp any good?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Is From Hell with Johnny Depp any good?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-09, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Is From Hell with Johnny Depp any good?

I didn't like it. I think that might be because I knew exactly who Jack the Ripper was as soon as he spoke though!
Old 03-11-09, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could have been much better. And Heather Graham is terrible in this movie like she is in everything else she's done.
Old 03-11-09, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 249 Likes on 176 Posts

Skip it and buy Murder By Decree instead. The best of the Jack The Ripper movies.
Old 03-11-09, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rw2516
Skip it and buy Murder By Decree instead. The best of the Jack The Ripper movies.
I don't think the OP is interested in Jack the Ripper. I think this descision is based on an impulse to purchase DVDs based on Alan Moore books, after the excitement of Watchmen.

The only Alan Moore dvds that anyone should have in their dvd collection is V for Vendetta and Watchmen....
Old 03-11-09, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I am sorry...but don't listen to these guys. I went to see it at the cinema as i was a big fan of Alan Moore and was excited to see an adaptation of one of his stories (this being the first). A group of us went and we were bored to tears by it. I am not one of those fan boys who wants movies to be exact doubles of the books/comics they are based on, but i just found this movie to be really boring. The tite really does describe the movie imo. I still keep hoping they do a decent version of an Alan Moore story. Not seen the cinema version of Watchment but have hopes for it. I have been watching the DVD comic feature and that has been excellent. But my advice...stay well away from "From Hell."
Old 03-11-09, 11:12 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
I am sorry...but don't listen to these guys. I went to see it at the cinema as i was a big fan of Alan Moore and was excited to see an adaptation of one of his stories (this being the first). A group of us went and we were bored to tears by it. I am not one of those fan boys who wants movies to be exact doubles of the books/comics they are based on, but i just found this movie to be really boring. The tite really does describe the movie imo. I still keep hoping they do a decent version of an Alan Moore story. Not seen the cinema version of Watchment but have hopes for it. I have been watching the DVD comic feature and that has been excellent. But my advice...stay well away from "From Hell."
That's pretty much true...V for Vendetta and Watchmen are the best Moore adaptations. V for V is a good dystopian action/drama flick and Watchmen was a fucking great film that can only get better with the full cut of it.
Old 03-11-09, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Originally Posted by FRwL
A Ripper movie that tries to stay as true to the facts would actually be pretty boring, there's documentaries for that, cinematically this was a good movie with lots of creepy stuff. I like the title too, comes from the supposedly only authentic letter from knife boy himself
:
From hell

Mr Lusk,
Sor
I send you half the Kidne I took from one women prasarved it for you tother piece I fried and ate it was very nise. I may send you the bloody knif that took it out if you only wate a whil longer

signed
Catch me when you can Mishter Lusk

Judging by the spelling and grammar of this note, my theory is that Jack the Ripper is a member of this forum.
Old 03-11-09, 02:12 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

'Ram' that you??
Is The Missing from Ron Howard any good?
Is Enemy at the Gates any good?
Is The Ice Harvest any good?
Is the Red Heat DVD worth it for $5 Buck?
Is $9.99 CAN for Escape from New York 2 Disc Special Edition a good price?
Is the disc of Falling Down double-sided in this boxset?

one of the only JD performances i didn't particularly care for, but i think it might have more to do with the Hughes brothers.

i liked Menace II Society, but not Dead Presidents or American Pimp, not too eager to see Book of Eli with Denzel either.

Last edited by OldBoy; 03-11-09 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-11-09, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Waters
I need some fresh opinions on this movie before buying it!
I really liked it.
Old 03-11-09, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I liked it but remember hating Heather Graham's character.
Old 03-11-09, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Although the movie sucked, it's nice to think that Sean Connery's last film was an Alan Moore film...

And in other trivia, Jason Flemyng has starred in the most Alan Moore films - in From Hell and LXG...

Last edited by toddly6666; 03-11-09 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-11-09, 03:35 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Although the movie sucked, it's nice to think that Sean Connery's last film was an Alan Moore film...
Checked IMDB to make sure he hadn't died.

Well, we could count his voice work in a couple things, but yeah, what a sad note on which to (possibly) end a fine career. LXG was one of my biggest disappointments ever, although I guess I pretty much knew going in that it wasn't going to be anything like the book.
Old 03-11-09, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

As to the quest in the OP, yes, From Hell is good. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It is not a horror film, but it is quite suspenseful at times. I havenot read any of Alan Moore's comics, but most people know enough of the Ripper story already. I find it a vastly superior film to Watchmen.
Old 03-11-09, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

I haven't liked it the 4 or 5 times I've watched it.
Old 03-11-09, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

If the OP is still looking for an answer to the original question, in my case the answer is yes. A good, atmospheric movie that provides one possibility of Jack the Ripper. Picked up the BD on the cheap at an Amazon sale and looks great in high-def. Give it a rental at first and then pick it up if you like it.
Old 03-11-09, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jjcool
As to the quest in the OP, yes, From Hell is good. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It is not a horror film, but it is quite suspenseful at times. I havenot read any of Alan Moore's comics, but most people know enough of the Ripper story already. I find it a vastly superior film to Watchmen.
haha! That's like saying "Star Wars: The Phantom Menace" if a vastly superior film to "Blade Runner"....I recommend you reading Watchmen.
Old 03-12-09, 10:04 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've moved out all the off-topic/snarky/argumentative posts into a locked thread and have re-opened this one so that the terrorists don't win.

Let's all now play nice.
Old 03-12-09, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good stuff benedict.
Old 03-12-09, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

haha! That's like saying "Star Wars: The Phantom Menace" if a vastly superior film to "Blade Runner"....I recommend you reading Watchmen.
And thats part of why it was garbage. Why should I have to read the comic book to enjoy the movie? The movie should stand alone as its own work. The way From Hell did.

What if I read Watchmen, and like the book? Does that somehow change how bad the movie was?

Last edited by jjcool; 03-12-09 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-12-09, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

I didn't like it.

One of the deleted scenes was pretty cool though...
Old 03-13-09, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
And thats part of why it was garbage. Why should I have to read the comic book to enjoy the movie? The movie should stand alone as its own work. The way From Hell did.

What if I read Watchmen, and like the book? Does that somehow change how bad the movie was?
Exactly! I don't have any interest in reading the Watchmen comic, just like I didn't have any interest in the 300 comic book. I hated 300, don't see any reason to now read the comic so I might have a slight appreciation for the director's love of slow motion. Everyone kept telling me, "But it was based on a comic book!" Who cares? It should stand on its own.

As for the original question, I liked From Hell. It was certainly a flawed movie, but there were enough well constructed scenes to keep me interested.
Old 03-13-09, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
One of the deleted scenes was pretty cool though...
The booty shot.

Am I right?
Old 11-29-09, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just blind-bought the dvd of From Hell. Eventhough I bought it used for $2, this was a pretty bad film. I liked Heather Graham in it though. I miss her - shes a hot actress thats really not that bad of an actress.

Maybe i fell nodded off during some scenes, but was there some type of closure with the mean pimp or did he just disappear from the movie after the cop warned him to leave heather graham alone?

Last edited by toddly6666; 11-29-09 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-29-09, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe i fell nodded off during some scenes, but was there some type of closure with the mean pimp or did he just disappear from the movie after the cop warned him to leave heather graham alone?
I think he gets killed, but I'm not sure, I haven't seen that movie in years.
Old 11-30-09, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I liked the film but not enough to add it to my collection.
The fogged streets of London setting is nice. I liked Johnny Depp's character and his sidekick.
I didn't like Heather Graham at all. All the other hookers look kind of beat up and she's the only one who's attractive.
If you enjoy slasher films and mainstream 80s/90s horror films, you'll probably like FROM HELL. If you're more into atmospheric films, or films like Silence of the Lambs, Jacobs Ladder, Ring, you probably might regret paying retail for this movie.

The book is more of a conspiracy whereas the movie is a who-dunit.
I hated 300 the graphic novel but loved the movie.
V for Vendetta was an awesome read but not so great movie.
Watchmen was also awesome, but the movie was a huge letdown.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.