DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   VHS - When there is no other option? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/551351-vhs-when-there-no-other-option.html)

JackBurton 03-10-09 08:58 AM

VHS - When there is no other option?

With DVD as big as it is and more and more Blu-ray titles being released, there are still some films, TV shows and specials that have never, and possibly will never be released on any other format. While perusing Amazon and Ebay, I've found that some VHS tapes go for ridiculous prices.

Looking back at some of the "What are you still Waiting for" threads, its clear that with time a lot of our biggest wants eventually get released, some in lavish special editions. Still there are some titles that it seems no amount of waiting will bring. Whether it be due to legal rights issues, lost/damaged elements or presumed lack of intere$t, these curiosities and nostalgic gems seem destined to magnetic tape as their final resting place.

Is there a point where your longing to see a forgotten classic or cheesy childhood memory outweighed your refined sensibilities? With over a decade of DVD releases available, are there any VHS tapes that you still own? Ever break out the old VCR and watch them? When there was no other (legal) option, have you ever bought it on VHS?

Over the years, I've acquired/kept the following guilty pleasures on VHS, as I had no other way to see them:

Beastmaster 2: Through the Portal of Time (1991)
Howard the Duck (1986)
Nightmare on the 13th Floor (1990)
Terror in the Aisles (1984)

An4h0ny 03-10-09 09:10 AM

Re: VHS - When there is no other option?

i still have a box of VHS tapes somewhere... but i think i've replaced everything on DVD, except Fawlty Towers

oop films are one reason i jumped on the bandwagon of file sharing, since there are a few AMAZING high quality trackers that specialize or focus only on films like this.

it's extremely rare now that i ever run across an old oop movie that i can't find online somewhere. sometimes it's just a VHS-rip but it's better than nothing.

Giles 03-10-09 09:23 AM

there but a very few films on VHS where they never came out on DVD:

- There's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World (extended cut - not true director's cut)
- The Alamo (roadshow version)

a number of Bollywood films I had recorded off of TCM, but have yet to sit and watch.

a few animation collections, that I'm sure are somewhere on the web, but am clueless how to find.

RichC2 03-10-09 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by JackBurton (Post 9316693)
With DVD as big as it is and more and more Blu-ray titles being released, there are still some films, TV shows and specials that have never, and possibly will never be released on any other format. While perusing Amazon and Ebay, I've found that some VHS tapes go for ridiculous prices.

Looking back at some of the "What are you still Waiting for" threads, its clear that with time a lot of our biggest wants eventually get released, some in lavish special editions. Still there are some titles that it seems no amount of waiting will bring. Whether it be due to legal rights issues, lost/damaged elements or presumed lack of intere$t, these curiosities and nostalgic gems seem destined to magnetic tape as their final resting place.

Is there a point where your longing to see a forgotten classic or cheesy childhood memory outweighed your refined sensibilities? With over a decade of DVD releases available, are there any VHS tapes that you still own? Ever break out the old VCR and watch them? When there was no other (legal) option, have you ever bought it on VHS?

Over the years, I've acquired/kept the following guilty pleasures on VHS, as I had no other way to see them:

Beastmaster 2: Through the Portal of Time (1991)
Howard the Duck (1986)
Nightmare on the 13th Floor (1990)
Terror in the Aisles (1984)

The big question is, will you upgrade?

JackBurton 03-10-09 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 9316785)
The big question is, will you upgrade?

-smile- Yes, likely during the next DD sale.

Ash Ketchum 03-10-09 10:04 AM

Over the weekend, I bought some cheap used DVDs containing episodes 10-26 of a 1998 sci-fi anime series called "Brain Powered." I have the early episodes on fan-sub VHS. So, to get back up to speed on the series, I dug out the VHS tapes and started watching the beginning episodes again last night. I have a lot of anime on VHS and only upgrade on the best titles.

I have tons of old anime on VHS that will probably never come out on disc, including classic titles from the 1960s and '70s. Also, I've been taping stuff off TV since 1982 and a lot of the movies I taped back in the '80s are missing in action in ANY format, including GAMERA SUPER MONSTER (1980). I looked at my copy of that recently, taped at least 20 years ago, and it played just fine.

I have lots of movies on VHS that look just fine that way and I see no need to upgrade, esp. for movies I bought cheaply just to see once or twice. Or old movies in the old Academy ratio that don't require letter-boxing.
I only upgrade to DVD for the following:
a) letter-boxed versions of titles I only had in pan-and-scan
b) movies that are especially visually beautiful and require higher-grade formats to fully appreciate, e.g. Disney classics like BAMBI and SNOW WHITE
c) documentary extras that I really want to see
d) anime titles with Japanese soundtracks/subs. that I only previously had in English dub versions.

VHS is useful simply to screen stuff once and never have to watch it again. I bought MAGNOLIA (1999) last year on a two-tape VHS set for $3 and I watched it once simply because so many people had been recommending it to me. I watched it once--and it was tough to get through--got it out of the way, and put it in storage. Watching it on DVD wouldn't make a bit of difference in my reaction. Same with SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION (although that one, also on VHS, was borrowed, not bought.)

I have three working VCRs in the apartment and two brand new ones in storage in case one that I have breaks.

james2025a 03-10-09 10:07 AM

Howard the Duck gets releasedon DVD this month i believe. I bet everyone is going to rush out to buy a copy.

OldBoy 03-10-09 11:02 AM

shouldn't this be in the VHS Forum?

EdTheRipper 03-10-09 11:06 AM

I got rid of the last of my VHS tapes last year. Gave a few bags of them to a co-worker. The rest of them got boxed up and my landlords took care them away for me.

rw2516 03-10-09 11:38 AM

I use to collect vhs just like everyone collects dvds today. Had about 3000 pre-recorded ones god only knows how many I recorded myself. I transferred all the stuff over to dvd. If it gets a release I toss the dvd-r and buy the DVD. If a movie not on dvd that I own on vhs comes on digital cable I record that to dvd-r and toss the one I made from the vhs. Digital cable is a lot better quality source than vhs. There is nothing that was released on vhs but not on dvd that I want that I don't have on dvd-r. Did the same with the LD I have.

Shannon Nutt 03-10-09 12:01 PM

I haven't owned a VCR for over 5 years. :shrug:

coli 03-10-09 12:18 PM

I have the Star Wars OOT versions on VHS, and DVD, but there is no difference;)

stingermck 03-10-09 12:19 PM

I was down to 3 VHS tapes. The Flash complete series was released, Howard the Duck is retired today, and now I just need the 90's Captain America.

Though I do have a lot of 60's Batman on VHS, recorded from TV.

Solid Snake 03-10-09 01:01 PM

I still have Robocop...well the only reason I keep it is cuz of that damn fine cover art. Wish the current DVD had it..

http://www.robocoparchive.com/art/poster1.JPG

Giles 03-10-09 01:07 PM

I've got a VHS copy of 'Suspiria' that has the original mono soundtrack that AB did not include on their DVD special edition.

also have 'Hellraiser' signed by Clive Barker.

Matthew Chmiel 03-10-09 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 9317273)
I still have Robocop...well the only reason I keep it is cuz of that damn fine cover art. Wish the current DVD had it..

http://www.robocoparchive.com/art/poster1.JPG

http://images.dvdempire.com/gen/movies/373h.jpg

From the OOP Image DVD from 1998.

Speaking of Robocop, it's playing in 35mm next Wednesday here.

Giles 03-10-09 02:05 PM

^ the cover also is the same on the Image laserdisc.

jjcool 03-10-09 03:16 PM

I've still got some VHS. Just stuff that I havent gotten around to replacing with a dvd yet, or simply stuff that isnt on dvd yet. When I geta dvd of something I have on VHS, I get rid of the vhs. Only have about 20 left. When Howard the Duck and the new edition of Woodstock come out on dvd, I will have about 17. Some, I will keep indefinitely, like a couple editions of stranglemania, and some concert videos I have. I have 1 vcr still hooked up and functioning, and 1 that I packed up and put in storage.

NoirFan 03-10-09 05:26 PM

I've got:

Wings
The Crowd
Insignificance
Track 29
The Unbelievable Truth
Sextette
A Certain Sacrifice
Spite Marriage

And a whole dusty box of tapes I don't feel like rifling through. I can tell you however, that one of them is a case-less copy of Fatal Bond, with the enchanting Linda Blair.

My Other Self 03-10-09 05:37 PM

I don't have any anymore (I lost all of my tapes in a move a few years back), but I had quite a few yet. Mainly just for sentimental and nostalgic purposes.

marty888 03-10-09 06:38 PM

I have dozens of VHS movies, great titles not yet released on DVD. Many silent classics from Paramount and MGM, for example, along with many many very unknown "gems".

{If anyone hears about <i>Voyage Of The Rock Aliens</i> (the musical starring Pia Zadora!) or the early Lee Marvin gem <i>Shack Out On 101</i> showing up on DVD ....}

Kurt D 03-10-09 06:42 PM

I just ditched most of my tapes, but kept on VHS:
<b>The Alien Trilogy
Sid and Nancy
Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia</b>
No real reason, just sentimental I guess.

I also kept a bunch of mid-'80s taped-off-the-air Betas of David Letterman.

Of course watching this stuff will require a Griswold 'trapped in the attic all day' scenario ...

rw2516 03-10-09 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by marty888 (Post 9317934)
I have dozens of VHS movies, great titles not yet released on DVD. Many silent classics from Paramount and MGM, for example, along with many many very unknown "gems".

{If anyone hears about <i>Voyage Of The Rock Aliens</i> (the musical starring Pia Zadora!) or the early Lee Marvin gem <i>Shack Out On 101</i> showing up on DVD ....}

Shack Out On 101 is one my all time favorite flicks. A one of a kind. I too have the VHS. It's on TCM this month for the first time. For those who haven't seen it, check it out.

MANBREASTS 03-10-09 06:52 PM

I still watch First Born, Wisdom, and Preston's bush in Mischief all the time. Oh and I also watch thief of hearts on VHS because it's the unrated version.

BobSchlapowitz 03-10-09 10:52 PM

I still have a bunch of old WWF wrestling VHS tapes. The ones that are available on DVD, I refuse to upgrade. I don't pay for blurs and edits!