Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

VHS - When there is no other option?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

VHS - When there is no other option?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-11, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: VHS - When there is no other option?

Good luck finding a well made quality VCR these days.

I could care less about movies on VHS, it's the family home movies I have yet to transfer completely to digital.
Old 01-28-11, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

I have 100's of VHS both pre recorded and stuff I taped. Most of the self taped is in svhs as I bought 4 of them over the years including the very first svhs model on the market.
Old 01-28-11, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I just bought Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie for $1 on vhs today... I know its on disc and all but I wasn't going to pass it up. It brings my VHS collection to about 9 titles lol
Old 01-29-11, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

My records show that I am down to 659 VHS tapes.

Most Recent Watched VHS: Lianna Quigley's Horror Workout

Most Recent VHS Acquisition: 2006ish Harold and Maude from an moving GF
Old 01-29-11, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

Patti Rocks http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095835/

Not available in Region 1. I have the VHS in a box somewhere. It's a good movie.
Old 01-29-11, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by JackBurton
Article from the Boston Phoenix that I thought fit in with this thread:

VHS is the New Vinyl
Can totally relate to that article - since I sell a lot of VHS off Amazon for some decent money.

And at least I know of a few more now to keep an eye out for!
Old 01-29-11, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MJG87
Good luck finding a well made quality VCR these days.
They make a VCR with HDMI output that sells for around $200.00. I am sure it's so high priced because they know people can make great looking copies of VHS to DVD or Blu-Ray.

I personally want one and when I get a new computer that can capture video from an HDMI source I am buying one so I can make the best looking copies of the VHS tapes I have. I have a lot of music video tapes and some smaller movies that I know will never be on DVD.
Old 01-29-11, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by calhoun07
They make a VCR with HDMI output that sells for around $200.00. I am sure it's so high priced because they know people can make great looking copies of VHS to DVD or Blu-Ray.

I personally want one and when I get a new computer that can capture video from an HDMI source I am buying one so I can make the best looking copies of the VHS tapes I have. I have a lot of music video tapes and some smaller movies that I know will never be on DVD.
Home recorded stuff and lesser known vhs labels yeah. Anything on a major studio label, and Marcrovision will stop you cold.
Old 01-29-11, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The price goes up when it stops being a frequently selling commodity. The same happened to beta. SONY made Beta machines for years after the official demise of the format and they were very expensive. i almost bought one for my extensive Beta collection then decided to just toss everything on eBay and just collect VHS.
Old 01-29-11, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've got only a few VHS tapes. A buddy supplied me a bag of "mature titles" though. Admit it. You have some of those too.
Old 01-30-11, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I'm intrigued. I'd like to buy one of these. Any brand names/links to specs? And who's selling it? Does Amazon have a page for this?

Thanks.
Old 01-30-11, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

John Carpenter's Body Bags
Old 01-30-11, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Last year I hooked up my JVC S-VHS and Pioneer LD player to my computer to transfer them to DVD; to this day I still haven't. I guess I'm just too lazy or have no more desire to look at this old stuff. If I do it would probably be just the home movies. I'm just going to throw it all away after that.
Old 01-30-11, 10:03 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Still waiting for the extended version of The Keep and the Unrated Director's Cut of The Lawnmower Man to be released on DVD. No version of The Keep has ever been released on DVD and the only version of The Lawnmower Man currently available on DVD is the theatrical version at 107 minutes, the Unrated Director's Cut is 141 minutes. -kd5-
Old 01-30-11, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
I just bought Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie for $1 on vhs today... I know its on disc and all but I wasn't going to pass it up. It brings my VHS collection to about 9 titles lol
Just a few weeks ago before Christmas, I was able to acquire a set of MST3K VHS in used but good condition.

Quite a bargain IMO when I saw it on craigslist. It was a set of 20 tapes that were put out by Rhino back in the '90s - 2004. Included the feature film (1996) as well.

Would you believe $5? That was for the entire collection posted. So it was just 25 cents a tape.

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I'm intrigued. I'd like to buy one of these. Any brand names/links to specs? And who's selling it? Does Amazon have a page for this?

Thanks.
There is one in this weekend's Sears ad.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...5&blockType=G5

Last edited by Xbox69; 01-30-11 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-30-11, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by big whoppa
I've got only a few VHS tapes. A buddy supplied me a bag of "mature titles" though. Admit it. You have some of those too.
I admit it, I just don't have a VCR to play them on any more.
Old 01-30-11, 12:45 PM
Banned

I have hundreds of VHS tapes still. They're mostly copies of movies I've rented and also stuff I've taped off the tv. I have a VCR, still, but I'd love to get one that can hook up to my computer and copy the stuff so I can make dvds of it. I even still have our very first VCR from about 1985. I really miss the old glowing, slightly flickering blue-ish display. I'd really like to dig the player out and get it repaired.
Old 01-30-11, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Some of the programs to burn DVD's include, or at least they did at one time, the connection to run a VCR to the computer via RCA cables so you can burn to DVD.

I don't think anyone repairs VCR's anymore, do they?
Old 01-30-11, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JimRochester
I don't think anyone repairs VCR's anymore, do they?
I just noticed a shoe repair shop not that far from me the other day. I never thought those would be around still. So if somebody is still repairing shoes I bet you could find somebody repairing VCRs. Whether or not they are local or you'd have to mail it to them may be another issue.
Old 01-31-11, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
Still waiting for the extended version of The Keep and the Unrated Director's Cut of The Lawnmower Man to be released on DVD. No version of The Keep has ever been released on DVD and the only version of The Lawnmower Man currently available on DVD is the theatrical version at 107 minutes, the Unrated Director's Cut is 141 minutes. -kd5-
The Keep is streaming on Netflix in HD I think.
Old 05-09-11, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Mondotees, known for the popular Alamo Drafthouse posters is putting out films on VHS, starting with the 1983 shot-on-video slasher, Sledge Hammer.

LINK

Intervision's DVD of the film will also be released by Severin.