Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Adjustment Bureau (Nolfi, 2010): Matt Damon in Philip K. Dick adaptation

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Adjustment Bureau (Nolfi, 2010): Matt Damon in Philip K. Dick adaptation

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-11, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Re: The Adjustment Bureau (Nolfi, 2010): Matt Damon in Philip K. Dick adaptation

Yeah, the trailer is very heavily based on the romance, at least thats how it played to me.

I also don't care about genre as long as the movie itself is good.
Old 03-09-11, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Adjustment Bureau (Nolfi, 2010): Matt Damon in Philip K. Dick adaptation

Imagine if the flick "Serendipity" crashed into "Gatacca", with a little "Two of a Kind" and "Life Less Ordinary" tossed in as spices.

Despite it being a little cornier than it ought to be, I really like this flick. The strongest point is the chemistry of Blunt and Damon. Especially Blunt's character. How perfect was she? She's like the perfect woman in this movie. I was spellbound every time she was on camera.

The "hat powers" were kinda cheezy but I still think it worked. I loved the whole bit about the two of them running through the doors, but the very ending was silly and not very good.

Despite that. I'd see this again in the theater, and I'll definitely pick up the DVD/Blu-ray release. Mainly because of the moments when Damon and Blunt are together. What a damn good pairing. She's completely magical.
Old 03-10-11, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I knew nothing about the movie going in (aside from finding out just before the movie it was based on a Dick novel) and I really enjoyed the movie. As mentioned prior, the chemistry between Damon and Blunt is off the charts. Perhaps a little too love storyish for me, it still wasn't enough to degrade the movie in any amount. Really enjoyed it and would recommend it.
Old 03-12-11, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
Spoiler:
I would have liked to see The Chairman, but I can appreciate why he was never revealed. I do wonder, based on the dialog in the last scene, if they went so far as placing The Chairman into certain scenes.
Also, the final chase sequence was nice, but felt too short. I imagined it would play out a little differently.
Note to self: Buy a hat. Turn doorknobs to the left.
Spoiler:
Wait, wasn't The Chairman supposed to be God? That's the feeling I got early into the film, and how the characters speak about him throughout did nothing to sway me from that opinion... or am I the only one that thought that? Anyway, solid movie. Echoing previous statements, Damon and Blunt were great together and made me enjoy the movie a lot more than I would have otherwise.
Old 03-12-11, 08:19 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg.
Spoiler:
Wait, wasn't The Chairman supposed to be God? That's the feeling I got early into the film, and how the characters speak about him throughout did nothing to sway me from that opinion... or am I the only one that thought that? Anyway, solid movie. Echoing previous statements, Damon and Blunt were great together and made me enjoy the movie a lot more than I would have otherwise.
Spoiler:
The Chairman is God. I thought that was obvious? Wasn't there a mention about them being angels?
Old 03-12-11, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

^yes, Harry mentioned at the end he/she could have been anyone they had met during their lives.
Old 03-13-11, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wasn't expecting much, since I heard this was mostly a chick flick with a touch of sci-fi, but I loved this movie. I think Nolfi really nailed the tone for it - it never takes itself too seriously and even has a playful side as some really weird shit starts happening. John Slattery's performance goes a long way to helping the tone, that was a bit of perfect casting. I loved his exasperation at the situation. Damon and Blunt's chemistry was like lightning in a bottle and their meet cute scenes really crackled with palpable energy...almost like a Howard Hawks vibe to a few of their scenes. It's definitely more of a light romance with a bit of sci-fi/spirituality stuff thrown in, but I thought it was really enjoyable and definitely will be buying the blu-ray.
Old 03-13-11, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I too was taken back as to just how much of the movie focused on the love story. I had the impression that it focused on his political career mainly.

Still, I very much enjoyed the ride, even though I thought the ending was a bit cheesy and tacked on just for that happy ending.

Spoiler:
Was I the only one hoping it ended soon after he left her at the hospital? I guess I was just in a gloomy mood when watching
Old 03-15-11, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wonder how much time elapsed between principal photography and reshoots- Matt Damon looked like he was gaining/losing 30lbs or so between scenes!

I very much enjoyed the film for the most part, but the third act just felt like a 5th grader rushing to finish a writing assignment. It seems to me the ending used was a reshoot; I am curious whether an alternate ending exists.
Old 03-15-11, 06:08 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
Still, I very much enjoyed the ride, even though I thought the ending was a bit cheesy and tacked on just for that happy ending.

Spoiler:
Was I the only one hoping it ended soon after he left her at the hospital? I guess I was just in a gloomy mood when watching
Spoiler:
I'm with you 100%. If there is one thing I absolutely hate with American film making is the idea that story gotta have a happy ending. Why bent the rules so David can have a chance to fight the Chairman? Wouldn't David show more character if he's to leave Elise because he realize that's ultimately what's best for her? I thought this movie followed Back to the Future formula. It's not really sci-fi film more so than a live your life to the fullest film. You start with the premise that your fate is already decided for you but end with your life is actually wide open and very much depends on your free will. (as seen the book was half empty in the last scene and when the Delorean was destroyed by the train and the fax is wiped blank.) If you start with life is determined by fate, then go with it. Don't jump back and forth and stay on the fence. And for the love of God, you don't need to conclude the story to the period. A film is much more valuable if you leave ambiguity at the end.
Old 03-15-11, 09:27 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperJim88
If there is one thing I absolutely hate with American film making is the idea that story gotta have a happy ending
That's not American filmmaking, that's American mainstream storytelling...in film.
Old 03-22-11, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Watched this today and enjoyed it; agree with everyone else, more romance then sci-fi and the movie was carried by the excellent chemistry between Damon and Blunt. The only thing I didn't like was the ending; I don't mind a happy ending, I thought it suited the movie just fine. I just thought it ended rather abruptly as though they didn't know how else to get to the end and seemed to really lack a good climax.
Old 03-22-11, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
That's not American filmmaking, that's American mainstream storytelling...in film.
If the movie Up in the Air taught me one thing, it's that most people viciously hate downer endings. I was actually kind of surprised with how much venom people had toward that movie's finale.

But yeah, not every movie needs a Happy Ending, though ironically, not every one needs a S. Korean ending either.

Last edited by RichC2; 03-22-11 at 08:14 AM.
Old 04-18-11, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Just saw the movie and liked it. It had been a while since I'd seen the trailer so I was expecting a romantic chase thriller rather than a sci-fi flick, so that probably worked out for me. I'd even forgotten about the PKD connection till I saw it in the end credits.
Old 05-13-11, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is nothing wrong with Downer ending if it is not just there to be a downer.
I hate movies where you spend 2 hours watching a movie and all the characters die at the hands of a killer. That's way overused these days.
Old 05-13-11, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Adjustment Bureau was hammy, but the rest of the movie was quite good and entertaining. Recommended if you can get through a few cringe inducing paragraphs here and there at the hands of TAB.
Old 06-13-11, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I rented this tonight and thought it was pretty good. Yeah if you were going into this thinking it's an action/science fiction thriller, your going to be sorely disappointed.

As others have already said, it's a good romance movie with a touch a science fiction. I think it also served as a good "thinking" movie about your fate and the choices you make in your life. Blunt and Damon indeed had great chemistry. You really did want to root for them to be together. And I thought there were several exciting chase sequences.

The ending was alright. I only wished they would have given some more background on The Adjustment Bureau. I think it would have helped it flow a little better. But, the movie is definitely worthy of at least a rental. Emily Blunt was radiant in this movie. John Krasinki from The Office is one lucky guy to be married to such a beautiful young woman.

Last edited by DJariya; 06-13-11 at 03:56 AM.
Old 07-03-11, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

I enjoyed this as well, didn't mind at all that it was more of a love story rather than anything else. Good chemistry between Blunt and Damon, and I liked all the supporting cast as well (good to see Terrance Stamp still working).

Probably won't buy it, but it was definitely worth seeing.
Old 07-03-11, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Hated the ending. The premise was good, but I found the ending a bit moronic.
Old 07-03-11, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

I bet the ending was a rewrite after the producers didn't like the original "dark" ending. You know Hollywood, it has to end on an uplifting note.
Old 07-04-11, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

What "dark" ending?
Old 07-04-11, 10:55 AM

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure what people were expecting of the ending. Would it have been better to people if they were both reset at the end and left as vegetables? What would be the point of that? To prove that there is no free will?

If you want that, go watch Brazil. The ending was perfectly appropriate for what came before.
Old 07-19-11, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Really liked the movie. Like has been mentioned a million times Blunt and Damon had great chemistry.

Didn't mind the ending at all, I guess the only thing would be it seemed a bit rushed
Old 07-19-11, 12:14 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I didn't mind the ending as far as the very end...that part was fine.

My problem was with the start of the third act (and maybe there was a rewrite). Damon is going to "bone up" and learn all there is about the doors. The black dude is going to teach him everything about the doors, they're going to wait until it rains, there's a whole montage of him studying the doors, the substructure or whatever, how it all works, etc. Then, when it's time for action, he just grab-ass runs around and jumps through every door he sees. Why waste our time showing us that he's studying when he doesn't follow the plan for one second?
Old 07-19-11, 01:34 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sherm42
Not sure what people were expecting of the ending. Would it have been better to people if they were both reset at the end and left as vegetables? What would be the point of that? To prove that there is no free will?
What was the point of the movie as such?
That the amorous feelings of two people are more important than the heartbreaking struggle of millions of people due to inept politicians?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.