Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sucker Punch -- Zack Snyder

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sucker Punch -- Zack Snyder

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-10, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
re: Sucker Punch -- Zack Snyder

Originally Posted by RocShemp
You're telling me that 90+ minutes of slo-mo shots of glistening, muscular, half naked men isn't the gayest movie ever?
If they don't fuck it certainly isn't.
Old 07-26-10, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This movie is going to be great. I think Snyder will be able to handle any rating just fine. For christ's sake, he's making a G-rated movie about owls look cool, even with the ridiculous title "Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole".
Old 07-26-10, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
If they don't fuck it certainly isn't.
Sorry, gayest mainstream movie ever.

Last edited by RocShemp; 07-26-10 at 07:09 PM.
Old 07-26-10, 07:05 PM

Trailer

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/suckerpunch/

Looks absolutely ridiculous. Not sure if in a good or bad way...
Old 07-26-10, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I like the visuals (to a point) but I find myself disinterested.
Old 07-26-10, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I like the visuals (to a point) but I find myself disinterested.
Yeah, that's how felt about it as well. Parts of it, tone wise and the amount of a CGI world this uses (see the opening shot in the trailer of that car), reminds me of The Spirit as PopcornTreeCt pointed out.
Old 07-26-10, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Yeah, that's how felt about it as well. Parts of it, tone wise and the amount of a CGI world this uses (see the opening shot in the trailer of that car), reminds me of The Spirit as PopcornTreeCt pointed out.
Yeah. Although I did enjoy The Spirit (once I divorced it from the source material), I don't see myself enjoying this. There's just something really off about it. It's as if Zack Snyder is trying too hard to make it look cool. I dunno...
Old 07-26-10, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not buying it. The girls look hot, CGI looks silly, and I have no idea what the film is about. Escaping prison or something? I dunno. Other then the women I have no interest in Sucker Punch after this trailer.
Old 07-26-10, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like way too much CGI for me.
Old 07-26-10, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Blu Man
Not buying it. The girls look hot, CGI looks silly, and I have no idea what the film is about. Escaping prison or something? I dunno. Other then the women I have no interest in Sucker Punch after this trailer.
It's about the blonde schoolgirl with the katana, Babydoll. She's sent to a loony bin and is gonna get a labotomy. She orchestrates an escape with some other inmates. While there she fantasizes about the world heavily featured in the trailer and posters.

Hopefully another trailer will prove me wrong but it sounds like a reverse version of Heavenly Creatures. In that movie, the zany visuals enhanced the film. In Sucker Punch it seems the zany visuals are the film.

Basically, it's a film with a sketchy premise that will live or die based on the strength of it's visuals.
Old 07-26-10, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looks like a fucking blast...you guys are nuts.
Old 07-26-10, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't know, I actually like a couple of the scenes in that trailer & think the absurdity of the film is enough to get me to the theater for this.
Old 07-26-10, 07:49 PM

Filmmakers need to use CGI only when necessary. When you use it to accentuate a scene it could add to the story quite a bit. However, when it's all you use, then it ends up hurting the film. Nolan seems to understand this concept quite well. While I enjoyed Dawn of the Dead and to a lesser degree Watchmen, I couldn't finish 300. Unfortunately, I'm getting a strong 300 vibe with this film.
Old 07-26-10, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Eric D.
Filmmakers need to use CGI only when necessary. When you use it to accentuate a scene it could add to the story quite a bit. However, when it's all you use, then it ends up hurting the film. Nolan seems to understand this concept quite well. While I enjoyed Dawn of the Dead and to a lesser degree Watchmen, I couldn't finish 300. Unfortunately, I'm getting a strong 300 vibe with this film.
+1

Although for this film I understand the heavy reliance on CGI to get the fantasy world across, it doesn't look that great.

As for 300, the only nice things I can say about it is that the first action sequence was great and that I didn't fall asleep while watching it.
Old 07-26-10, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
I agree...the rest of you are nuts. This movie looks totally awesome. I don't know why everyone would start complaining about CGI now. Tim Burton's Alice was a complete CGI mish-mosh. This looks like a better adaptation.

A giant robot samurai with a gatlin gun. Jena Malone kicking ass. Come on. This is not going to be The Spirit. This is Snyder's first original screenplay, I don't know how he writes, but I bet it's gonna be 100 times better and more coherent than The Spirit, Alice in Wonderland, Dead or Alive, or Sky Captain. And this is gonna be a lot more entertaining and rewatchable than Girl Interrupted!

I loved the Lords of Acid trailer soundtrack. I haven't heard them in a while!

I bet the Japanese are giggling with anticipation for this one!

Last edited by toddly6666; 07-26-10 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-26-10, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

As I said, I don't think the CGI is the problem. It seemed a reasonable way to sell the scope of imaginary world. Sure some practical effects here and there wouldn't hurt but it would still be the same boring trailer.

And that's the problem. It tries so hard to be "look at me" cool that it's boring.

Originally Posted by toddly6666
I bet the Japanese are giggling with anticipation for this one!
As if I needed any more reasons to be disinterested. But, yes, this does look like a crappy anime.

Last edited by RocShemp; 07-26-10 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-26-10, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I think it looks like a lot of fun. I like Snyder's visual style, so the CGI here doesn't bother me.
Old 07-26-10, 10:24 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dunno..I'm in on this one. I hope it's good.

<object width="600" height="393"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/25137"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/25137" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="600" height="393" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 07-26-10, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Blu Man
I have no idea what the film is about.
Why in GOD'S almighty name is this such a turnoff for people?!? I absolutely abhor it when I know everything about the movie by the time the trailer arrives. The whole point of going to the movie is to experience it for the first time. I love it when the trailer gives away squat and makes you go "hmmm...I wonder what that's about."

This looks cool. Not change-your-life cool, but cool nevertheless. Count me in.
Old 07-26-10, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by valkyrie
Why in GOD'S almighty name is this such a turnoff for people?!? I absolutely abhor it when I know everything about the movie by the time the trailer arrives. The whole point of going to the movie is to experience it for the first time. I love it when the trailer gives away squat and makes you go "hmmm...I wonder what that's about."
On most occasions I'm fine without knowing what a film is about after seeing the teaser trailer. But when the visuals do nothing for me, I fall back on wanting to know the plot, otherwise I have no reason to take any interest in the film. I'll hold out for the final theatrical trailer before deciding whether I'll see this or not, but based solely on that trailer it's a no go for me.
Old 07-26-10, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it looks laughably bad.

It looks like movie making the same way music albums are put together nowadays, a few cool scenes/songs with no rhythm or flow to the rest of the movie/album.

I mean seriously, wtf? Anyone can make characters fantasize about crap and have do whatever they want. Seems beyond ridiculous.
Old 07-26-10, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666
This movie is going to be great. I think Snyder will be able to handle any rating just fine. For christ's sake, he's making a G-rated movie about owls look cool, even with the ridiculous title "Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole".
This has to surpass 300 as the gayest movie ever ... "The Owls of Gay Hole"? Come on!
Old 07-26-10, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

OK,watched the trailer ... I am so Zach Snyder's bitch ... can't wait!

I don't see why everybody is comparing this to 300 in regards to the CGI. Doesn't look like any more CGI that Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, or any other fantasy film these days.

I also don't get why everybody is so down on 300. It was a stylistic choice ... it was supposed to look like the comice book - excuse me, graphic novel - that it was taken from.
Old 07-26-10, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by valkyrie
I love it when the trailer gives away squat and makes you go "hmmm...I wonder what that's about."
I think a good teaser clearly sets up the premise of the film, but without revealing plot points (wish the final trailers didn't do so much of that). This one doesn't really do that effectively... we know they're trying to escape (we think in real life), but than with the dragon and the flying planes, etc it comes across as more cartoonish than anything. Granted, I like the visuals and the director's previous movies so I'm there regardless. I don't see this one being hugely popular though.

Last edited by Artman; 07-26-10 at 11:32 PM.
Old 07-26-10, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
I agree, looks like a fun movie. CGI looks fantastic too

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.