Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Cop Out (Dir. Kevin Smith) Starring Bruce Willis And Tracey Morgan!!!

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Cop Out (Dir. Kevin Smith) Starring Bruce Willis And Tracey Morgan!!!

Old 02-25-10, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Cop Out (Dir. Kevin Smith) Starring Bruce Willis And Tracey Morgan!!!

Me: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/42379/cop-out/

Orndorf: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/42384/cop-out/
Old 02-25-10, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by wergo
Okay, so it lacks in the Kevin Smith dialogue department.

But it makes for it in the Michelle Trachtenberg nude scenes department, right?

right?

please?
Michelle Trachtenberg gets naked in this movie?! Bout damn time
Old 02-25-10, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by mhg83
Michelle Trachtenberg gets naked in this movie?! Bout damn time
No, she definitely doesn't.
Old 02-26-10, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

just got back.

for me, parts were funny, some of it (alright alot of it) seemed like improv scenes that kev allowed that went too long. And i know he likes to edit his own movies, but he should of allowed someone else to edit, at least the action scenes, since they did look kinda clumsy put together. If you've seen Dogma, you know that the action/fight scenes are def not the highlight of that movie.

Fave line (which yeah i know, it was kinda blatent, but i loled anyways)
Spoiler:
the scene where the Tracy Morgan character is interogating a suspect, and using lines from popular movies
"Yippie Kay Yay, mother fucker"
Jimmy "oh, i don't know that one"

if i had to rate it 2.5 out of 4. Not the worlds greatest movie, but def not as bad as critics are making it out to be
Old 02-26-10, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

The wife and I just got back from seeing this not long ago. I enjoyed it but not to the extent that I've enjoyed Smith's other movies. You could tell that it's not his writing. Morgan and Willis played off of each other really well and I enjoyed Sean William Scott and Guillermo Diaz.

The biggest surprise for me was how crowded the theater was for this. It's playing in the big theater at the local multiplex and the room was pretty full. Surprising considering it was an 11:15am showing on a Friday. Maybe this'll be the first Smith flick to break the $31 million plateau.
Old 02-26-10, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Maybe this'll be the first Smith flick to break the $31 million plateau.
Based on the amount of advertising, I imagine it will.
Old 02-26-10, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

last nights midnight screening was pretty crowded as well.
Old 02-26-10, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Based on the amount of advertising, I imagine it will.
I really hope so. I've been a Smith fanboy since I first saw Clerks so I've been hoping he'd see some mainstream success.
Old 02-26-10, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
last nights midnight screening was pretty crowded as well.
Doesn't mean a single thing. Most of Smith's dedicated fanboys went to midnight screenings. If they didn't go last night, they'll be there today.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a drop between Friday and Saturday.

From previous reference:
- Saw Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back at the nationwide sneak preview, packed.
- Saw Jersey Girl opening night, ghost town.
- Saw Clerks II (sadly) twice. Critics screening on a Monday morning, dead except the Vegas critics and yours truly. Late Saturday night showing on opening weekend, ghost town.
- Saw Zack and Miri in Mesquite (i.e. Buttfuck, Nevada), ghost town.
Old 02-26-10, 09:47 PM

This movie was terrible. All of the funny scenes can be seen online. I was bored through the entire movie.

1 out of 4 stars
Old 02-26-10, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought it was good but not great - it dragged for a good 15 minutes in the last half.. it starts off great with lots of good laughs and some decent action but then slows to a crawl before picking up again. Still, with the recent glut of shit that's been at the theatre, it was fairly decent.
Old 02-26-10, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Man, you guys are a tough crowd. I saw it tonight with my wife and some friends and we all thought it was great. A lot of fun. It didn't really feel like a Kevin Smith movie. But then again, I wasn't expecting it to.
Old 02-26-10, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Saw it tonight. The reviews made it out to be Old Dogs with cops or something, and it is not that at all. Entertaining shit. Willis is in Last Boy Scout mode here, but not as gloriously foul-mouthed. Tracy Morgan is fucking hilarious. His shtick doesn't wear out at all surprisingly. Smith does better than I thought in hired-gun mode. Harold Faltermeyer's score RULED, total throwback to his 80's heyday. Hilariously cheesy Patti LaBelle song at the end.

Yes, it has a few flaws (a needless post-credit sequence, could have lost 10 minutes or so), but it's not a bust. In the end though, it's an awesome throwback to the days of Freebie and the Bean, 48 Hrs., and the Lethal Weapon movies. It knows what it is, it's aware of its cliches, and it does its job without mediocrity.

It's a solid 8/10 or *** out of four.

I'm from Jersey as well, but snowstorms canceled a midnight show in my area. I've seen every Smith film since Jersey Girl in theaters and the rest opening day and Zack and Miri at midnight. Clerks II I saw opening day at 1:30ish and it was not packed, but a nice crowd. The Zack and Miri crowd on the other hand was pretty packed and thought it'd do better business. The crowd ate this movie up though.

Last edited by Zen Peckinpah; 02-26-10 at 11:38 PM.
Old 02-26-10, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by JJE-187
...this looks like a comedic remake of Lethal Weapon
It is definitely an homage to '80s cop movies... complete with Harold Faltermeyer's score.

And what Zen Peckinpah said above.
Old 02-27-10, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm going to see this tomorrow (well, today, after I sleep). I'm excited.
Old 02-27-10, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just got back from seeing it.

Better than expected.

Spoiler:
how could you not love a movie that quotes "All your base are belong to us" ???

(much more entertaining than Avatar)

Last edited by dan30oly; 02-27-10 at 02:39 AM.
Old 02-27-10, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There were some funny parts in it; enough that I'll probably pick it up when it comes out on Blu-Ray. But I will say that it is my least favorite Kevin Smith flick (although most of my complaints aren't primarily directed to his directorial work on the film).

Originally Posted by Lemmy
Originally Posted by Yeti4623
Clerks II is VASTLY underrated.
Fixed.
Agreed. I think Clerks II is on the same level as the first Clerks and Chasing Amy. No joke.
Old 02-27-10, 02:47 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just got back as well. I enjoyed it, but it suffered from two things. One, the plot was uninteresting and didn't lend itself well to humor (outside of the carjacker). Two, this film had a criminal underuse of Rashida Jones. Why even cast her if you're going to put her in two scenes and some nanny cam footage?

I think I would have preferred the film with more gags and less plot. I'll bet the outtakes would be great. I would love to see a sequel that Smith wrote as well as directed.
Old 02-27-10, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Just got back as well. I enjoyed it, but it suffered from two things. One, the plot was uninteresting and didn't lend itself well to humor (outside of the carjacker). Two, this film had a criminal underuse of Rashida Jones. Why even cast her if you're going to put her in two scenes and some nanny cam footage?

I think I would have preferred the film with more gags and less plot. I'll bet the outtakes would be great. I would love to see a sequel that Smith wrote as well as directed.
Also thought Lee was vastly under used as well. Hell it took me a minute or 2 into his first scene to realize it was him, as i'm so used to the Mustache and long side burns of My Name Is Earl.

I also kind of found it amusing that Ernie O'donnell (one of kev's high school buddies, and Rick Derris in Clerks) got an end screen main credit , he was one of the masked men who helped take the baseball card.

Also read on imdb that the 2 stars originally attatched with the movie were Robin Williams and James Gandolfini

Last edited by Rypro 525; 02-27-10 at 02:58 AM.
Old 02-27-10, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw it this evening with the GF. How I would describe this film: Meh.

That's a compliment considering I thought Zack and Miri was shit.

I've never seen a movie with such promise just turn out to be so lackluster. The film's biggest drawback is that it lacks energy and life. A lot of talent goes to waste (Kevin Pollack, Adam Brody, Guillermo Díaz, Jason Lee, and Rashida Jones are given almost nothing to do) and the film overstays its welcome by about twenty minutes.

I also thought the film would go in different ways, and I wish it did, because it would've brought some creativity (or cliches) to the table.

Spoiler:
I thought Pollack might've been involved with the Mexicans when he made his reference to the leather boots. Cliched, but we could've gotten some solid few minutes of Pollack hamming it up.

I also thought the idea of Jones' character actually cheating on Morgan to be interesting, but it's an idea that's scrapped because ITS HER GAY COUSIN! ITS HER GAY COUSIN! HEY JIMMY! IT WAS HER GAY COUSIN!

I honestly wouldn't recommend it, but I don't think it deserves the beating it's getting. There were some humorous parts from Willis, Morgan and Stiffler; but I feel the picture could've been better with some work in the scripting stage.

A personal nit-pick, but I was hoping the film would've been a little bit more mean-spiritied and violent. Maybe I was hoping for a spiritual successor to Beverly Hills Cop II, I don't know.
Old 02-27-10, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love Kevin Smith but I bet this movie sucks based on the reviews and trailers. Tracy Morgan is the anti-comedy.
Old 02-27-10, 06:58 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
There were some funny parts in it; enough that I'll probably pick it up when it comes out on Blu-Ray. But I will say that it is my least favorite Kevin Smith flick (although most of my complaints aren't primarily directed to his directorial work on the film).

Agreed. I think Clerks II is on the same level as the first Clerks and Chasing Amy. No joke.
As do I. Clerks II is as good as Clerks. It's very different in a way but it's the same.
Old 02-27-10, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

On the topic of Clerks II... I feel it's as good as Clerks. It's different but equally awesome and it has great heart and humor and captured the spirit of the characters again with true mastery.

As for Cop Out, I saw it tonight and thought it was one of the most horrible movie-going experiences of my life. It's the first Kevin Smith movie to ever disappoint me (out of his entire career).
Old 02-27-10, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Besides a humorous opening segment featuring Tracy Morgan delivering homages of cop-related dialogue while shaking down a suspect in the interrogation room, "Cop Out" had a threadbare framework of a plot to provide character motivation for Jim (Bruce Willis), while Paul (Tracy Morgan) had to work through his own relationship insecurities with his old lady (Rashida Jones).

I could have overlooked the plotline if the film had more energy from the pair of leading actors, or if it was actually funny throughout the running time, and not just here and there, but in the end, the film features this lazy tone that just undercuts any comedic tension or truly entertaining plot developments, and just doesn't even feel like a finished film product, and for that deficiency, you have to lay the blame at the screenplay and the director. It's just a dull film.

I give it 1.5 stars, or a grade of D+.
Old 02-27-10, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Patman
Besides a humorous opening segment featuring Tracy Morgan delivering homages of cop-related dialogue while shaking down a suspect in the interrogation room, "Cop Out" had a threadbare framework of a plot to provide character motivation for Jim (Bruce Willis), while Paul (Tracy Morgan) had to work through his own relationship insecurities with his old lady (Rashida Jones).

I could have overlooked the plotline if the film had more energy from the pair of leading actors, or if it was actually funny throughout the running time, and not just here and there, but in the end, the film features this lazy tone that just undercuts any comedic tension or truly entertaining plot developments, and just doesn't even feel like a finished film product, and for that deficiency, you have to lay the blame at the screenplay and the director. It's just a dull film.

I give it 1.5 stars, or a grade of D+.

This pretty much sums up how I feel. I do want to add that I personally felt it seemed like Bruce Willis was not only lacking in energy, but wasn't even TRYING to act. It seemed like he hated working on the film during actual filming. This really bothered me and only made matters worse for the already awful film (this would have been terrible no matter what with it's lame script)...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.