Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Never Let Me Go (2010, Romanek) S: Knightley, Mulligan, Garfield

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Never Let Me Go (2010, Romanek) S: Knightley, Mulligan, Garfield

Old 02-06-11, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
re: Never Let Me Go (2010, Romanek) S: Knightley, Mulligan, Garfield

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
I understand what you're getting at, I just don't feel like the movie reasonably established that kind of mentality.

Spoiler:

Look at the scene with Tommy learning that deferments or whatever aren't real, and his rage later when he screams out. He's obviously upset, has some passion inside him, so DO SOMETHING! Just don't give up! Is that what the film is trying to say, or what? I just found I couldn't relate to these characters after a certain point. Reminds me of people complaining about LOST when characters oftentimes wouldn't just stop and ask WHY! Anyway, I've said my piece. I don't mean to be an ass, just really wanted to like this film and ended up very disappointed.
Spoiler:
I agree with droidguy. I'm also going to add it was shown that they all had bracelets and appeared to need to "check in" anytime they went home. I assumed that in their world running was futile.

There was such a sense of dread in the film that I got the sense that the only act of rebellion the characters could possibly undertake would be suicide. And perhaps that would start some kind of suicide revolution and could possibly change things.
Old 02-06-11, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 810 Likes on 565 Posts

I never read the book, but I thought it was an interesting film. The feel of it was great and it was very depressing throughout - even more-so upon reflection after the film was over.

I have to give credit to whoever cast the roles. The girl who plays young Kathy is totally believable as a young Carey Mulligan. Not only does she look like a younger version of her in so many ways, but her mannerisms were spot on. I had to see if it was being played by Mulligan's younger sister.
Old 02-06-11, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I mentioned this in the BD thread, but I was also underwhelmed by this.

I won't debate whether the characters had anything relatable, but I know I felt no connection at all nor did I care what was happening to them. There's obviously something to this story since so many love the book, but it seems pretty clear to me the filmmaker failed in bringing it to the screen.

I was reading Ebert's 4 star review and it seems like so much of it is informed by having read the book. I have not read it so I only had what was on the screen, which unfortunately was lacking IMO.

Didn't really care for any of the main cast either. Knightley is never impressive to me, Garfield doesn't do much for me, and Mulligan, while good, has something about her that I don't like. She kind of annoyed me in Wall Street 2 so maybe that was the problem.
Old 02-06-11, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
I understand what you're getting at, I just don't feel like the movie reasonably established that kind of mentality.

Spoiler:

Look at the scene with Tommy learning that deferments or whatever aren't real, and his rage later when he screams out. He's obviously upset, has some passion inside him, so DO SOMETHING! Just don't give up! Is that what the film is trying to say, or what? I just found I couldn't relate to these characters after a certain point. Reminds me of people complaining about LOST when characters oftentimes wouldn't just stop and ask WHY! Anyway, I've said my piece. I don't mean to be an ass, just really wanted to like this film and ended up very disappointed.
Spoiler:
Yeah, but even that measure of emotion is so strangled and forces his way out of him. It's like, you think of all the things you could do or would do, but Tommy has none of those ideas. They're not within his perspective. People act before their breaking point, and yet the scream is Tommy's breaking point. The point at which he's so frustrated and angry and emotional and can't control himself and all it is is screaming by the side of the road.
For the record, I thought this was the best of 2010, and I have not read the book.
Old 02-07-11, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Spoiler:
Yeah, but even that measure of emotion is so strangled and forces his way out of him. It's like, you think of all the things you could do or would do, but Tommy has none of those ideas. They're not within his perspective. People act before their breaking point, and yet the scream is Tommy's breaking point. The point at which he's so frustrated and angry and emotional and can't control himself and all it is is screaming by the side of the road.
For the record, I thought this was the best of 2010, and I have not read the book.
Sounds good man, I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Old 02-13-11, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Beautiful film.

What a wonderful, genuine, meaningful and intelligent pondering on being human. Just fantastic film making in every way.
Old 02-13-11, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,007 Likes on 800 Posts

I hope the Box Office failure of this movie doesn't deter Mark Romenak from more directing gigs, there is a genuine quality to his work that is generally lacking these days.
Old 02-13-11, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Having just watched this film, I'm of 2 minds on it: Honestly depressing, or depressingly honest?
Old 03-02-11, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 284 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
Beautiful film.

What a wonderful, genuine, meaningful and intelligent pondering on being human. Just fantastic film making in every way.
Agree with everything you said.
Old 03-06-11, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just watched this. Best film of 2010. How this escaped awards aplenty is beyond me. Further cemented my admiration for Carey Mulligan. Just amazing.
Old 03-07-11, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Just watched this. Best film of 2010. How this escaped awards aplenty is beyond me. Further cemented my admiration for Carey Mulligan. Just amazing.
Old 03-07-11, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Saw this in theaters last fall. Great film; I hope Romanek's next movie is soon.
Old 03-07-11, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,007 Likes on 800 Posts

I thought the movie was directed extremely well but the script seemed like it was a cliffs notes version of the book. Not bad, but could have been better. I also hope Romanek makes another movie soon, been a fan of his since the NIN Closer video all those years ago.
Old 03-30-11, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TwineTime
This thread is a hilarious read if you've seen the movie.

Thanks, DVD Josh!
I agree, I was laughing so much!

But what a great film! I saw it yesterday. Very depressing, but one that must be watched. I doubt I'll watch it on my own again, but will recommend it to others, and will watch with them.
Old 10-05-11, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I watched this film again tonight and loved it.

Spoiler:
I love the line at the end “We didn’t have the gallery to look into your souls. We had the gallery to see if you had souls.”

Garfield's cry in the rain is dramatic and heartbreaking but I think he's better when we see his immediate reaction to learning that there is no deferral.

I wish this could be turned into a series and we see the point of view of the doctors and how they come to terms with their own conscience.
Old 10-05-11, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I watched this film again tonight and loved it.

I agree. I thought it was great. I will see this again. Quite interesting to think about afterwards as well.
Old 06-30-20, 09:16 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,178 Likes on 833 Posts

Re-watched this last night... hadn't seen it since its original release on home video.
A fantastic, bleak film. I loved it.
Old 06-30-20, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,978 Likes on 4,082 Posts

Yeah, it's a wonderful, incredibly sad movie. It will probably take me ten years to rewatch it as well.
Old 06-30-20, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Yeah, it's a wonderful, incredibly sad movie. It will probably take me ten years to rewatch it as well.
For some reason, Mark Romanek hasn't made a film in theaters since this one. His debut was way back in 1985 and he has made a total of 4 films, the last one for TV in 2011. After One Hour Photo, I thought he could be the next David Fincher, transitioning from music videos to being a big-time film director. But apparently it was not to be.
Old 06-30-20, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 284 Likes on 208 Posts
Re: Never Let Me Go (2010, Romanek) S: Knightley, Mulligan, Garfield

Originally Posted by Dan
Re-watched this last night... hadn't seen it since its original release on home video.
A fantastic, bleak film. I loved it.
Originally Posted by Drexl
For some reason, Mark Romanek hasn't made a film in theaters since this one. His debut was way back in 1985 and he has made a total of 4 films, the last one for TV in 2011. After One Hour Photo, I thought he could be the next David Fincher, transitioning from music videos to being a big-time film director. But apparently it was not to be.
I watched it again recently too. It took me several years to bring myself to sit through it again. Great but devastating film.

Speaking of Directors with a light resume, how about Paul Brickman? "Ricky Business" (1983) and "Men Don't Leave" (1990). I really liked his style and loved both of those movies. It's a shame he never directed again.