Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Never Let Me Go (2010, Romanek) S: Knightley, Mulligan, Garfield

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Never Let Me Go (2010, Romanek) S: Knightley, Mulligan, Garfield

Old 06-17-10, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Never Let Me Go (2010, Romanek) S: Knightley, Mulligan, Garfield

According to some people on here, The Island and Moon are the exact same movie. Who knew?
Old 06-17-10, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, is every zombie movie since NotLD invalid? Cause, they're all the same plot. Oh, wait, in 28 Days Later, they run. How innovative.
Old 06-18-10, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lamphorn
So, is every zombie movie since NotLD invalid? Cause, they're all the same plot. Oh, wait, in 28 Days Later, they run. How innovative.
[obligatory]THEY'RE NOT ZOMBIES![/obligatory]

What I loved about the book is how the characters never seemed to know or question how limited their lives were. They always knew their ultimate fate but never seemed to completely understand, and never even seemed to think an alternative would be worth consideration. That scared me - the characters never even seemed to fully understand love at times, and the prospect of escape seemed like such an alien and unthinkable concept.

Yes, I would like to see this film tomorrow, thank you.
Old 10-08-10, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Me (*****): http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/46160/never-let-me-go/
Orndorf (****1/2): http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/46153/never-let-me-go/
Jamie S. Rich (**1/2): http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/46124/never-let-me-go/
Old 10-08-10, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am completely with you droidguy & I usually think Jaimie is spot-on with his reviews. Its probably my second favorite movie of the year so far.
Old 10-08-10, 07:52 PM

This thread is a hilarious read if you've seen the movie.

Thanks, DVD Josh!
Old 10-08-10, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Someone once said we might have a book forum here. I've only heard legends of it, like the Chupacabra.
I'd like to point out that this is a completely unfair analogy. People have actually seen the Chupacabra.
Old 10-28-10, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw the film last night. I didn't read the book it was based upon, so I pretty much walked in blind other than knowing:

1. Mark Romanek directed it.
2. Alex Garland wrote it.
3. Carey Mulligan, Keira Knightley and Andrew Garfield were in it.
4. It involves clones and some sort of dystopian society.
5. The poster has a pier and people running on it.

I'm glad I didn't see the trailer (which after viewing the film, it would've spoiled a lot) and taken a look at this (extremely fucking retarded) thread before hand.

I simply loved the film despite it being one of the more emotionally challenging films I've sat through in the past few years. For what some (asshole) reviewers have described as a "period piece," I would have to state that this is one of the fastest paced "period pieces" I've witnessed in my entire life. The film almost perfectly captures how amazing falling in love is and how devastating it is to lose that love. What made the film challenging to watch is that you know the film's not going to have a happy ending and some of the scenes are tough to watch because you want these characters to "succeed" despite their fates already being sealed. I usually don't cry in movies, but this is one of the movies that successfully did me right in.

While I still don't think Garfield is right for the new Spider-man, I think that boy deserves a Best Supporting Actor nomination for his work in this film. I don't throw out the word nuance a lot, but wow. The nuance in his performance is fucking captivating.

Spoiler:
An example is after Kathy and Tommy visit the Madam and Headmistress and just had their entire world in an instant just crushed, just watch Garfield during and after that scene. When he walks out to Kathy's car, just watch him in the background while Kathy continues to talk to the Madam. He's just shaking and moving back and fourth in just that one position. It's not even something the camera is focusing on, but I was nearly on the verge of tears.

The moment when I lost it and the waterworks started was when he asks Kathy to pull the car over after that scene. When he walks out and starts flailing his arms and can't control his anger anymore, similar to when he was younger, is when I just started crying. I'm even getting water in my eyes just thinking about that scene right now and him just screaming at the top of his lungs.

It's a shame this film was a box office disappointment. If today wasn't it's last day in theaters here in Vegas, I'd go see it a second time. However, the film caught me off guard and I'd easily rank it as one of the best of the year.
Old 10-29-10, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Really great movie. Seriously. Depressing, but worth it.
Old 10-29-10, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I was excited to see this movie but then the trailer really turned me off but now I wish I had seen it.
Old 10-29-10, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I was excited to see this movie but then the trailer really turned me off but now I wish I had seen it.
The trailer is pretty God-awful.
Old 10-29-10, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,083 Posts

What was so awful about the trailer? It totally made me want to see this.
Old 10-29-10, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
What was so awful about the trailer? It totally made me want to see this.
The trailer feels like it's made to appeal to the Academy.

Oh and it ruins the entire film.
Old 02-03-11, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I finally watched this tonight.

Wow, just wow. This film gave me goosebumps. This is one of the best movies of the year --maybe the best. I absolutely loved it.
Old 02-04-11, 01:12 AM

I hated it. I tried not to compare it to the (marvelous) book, but when you have such impeccable source material, it's hard to overlook just how badly they killed it.

Spoiler:
What I found unforgivable is how they totally botched the significance of the title in regards to Kathy & Madame. In the movie, Kathy listens to the tape Tommy buys her and is spied on by a jealous Ruth. In the book, it was much more important to the final denouement at the end; it was Madame spying on Kathy, crying as she watched Kathy listen to the song "Never Let Me Go" and picturing her cradling the child in her arms that Madame knew she would never have. It was wrenching to read and a piss-poor decision to edit it out of the terrible film.

That whole scene with Madame & Miss Emily was badly truncated. And not for the better. On the page, it was riveting. Onscreen? So what. The filmmakers chose to remove most of the humanity in those two characters & left me wanting much more.

One scene that I did find fantastic was Ruth's final donation where she lay dead on the operating table & they continued to take out her organs. It was so cold & clinical, gave me chills.
Old 02-04-11, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is very odd to me. I rarely agree with Orndorf, almost always with Jamie S. Rich, but in this case I think he's completely off base.

Absolutely one of my favorites of the year.
Old 02-04-11, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 184 Posts

Story revolves around a trio who grew up in a boarding school with no contact or knowledge of the outside world until they discover they are clones grown for the sole purpose of organ donation.

Does knowing that spoil the movie at all? I had heard about this the other day from a radio DVD review but they didn't metion that. Seems like that could have been a nice twist.
Old 02-04-11, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Does knowing that spoil the movie at all? I had heard about this the other day from a radio DVD review but they didn't metion that. Seems like that could have been a nice twist.
Have you seen Moon? Both Moon and Never Let Me Go have what could be argued are major twists, but the information comes fairly early in the movies. If I had written a review for Moon and in my review of NLMG I chose to keep these reveals secret, but it's probably debatable how important it is to not know this information in advance.
Old 02-04-11, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,007 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Story revolves around a trio who grew up in a boarding school with no contact or knowledge of the outside world until they discover they are clones grown for the sole purpose of organ donation.

It isn't played as a twist and is revealed early on.
Old 02-04-11, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 184 Posts

Thanks, I am going to check this out.
Old 02-05-11, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just wanted to add, Andrew Garfield seemingly came out of nowhere to have prominent roles in, IMO, the two best films of the year. He has a great agent.
Old 02-05-11, 06:03 PM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Just watched this last night. Man, I was depressed at the end of the movie. The scene where Andrew Garfield gets out of the car to scream is chilling. He should have gotten award nominations just for that scene.
Old 02-06-11, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Howiefan
Just watched this last night. Man, I was depressed at the end of the movie. The scene where Andrew Garfield gets out of the car to scream is chilling. He should have gotten award nominations just for that scene.
I literally started laughing during that scene. I'm glad you guys found something to enjoy out of this film, but wow, I friggin' hated it (besides the cinematography which was pretty nice).

Spoiler:

I really enjoyed the Hailsham portion of the film, but the last two sections they just completely lost me.

Tommy getting out of the car and screaming was just stupid, besides which you could see it coming a mile away. So you'll scream and such, but you won't even run away or fight at all?

Plus it was hilarious when Ruth was seeking redemption and Tommy is all like "a little late for that now, isn't it Ruth?" Look jackass, you're the one who was effing her brains out night after night while your soul mate had to listen to it all. Yeah, go ahead and point all the blame at Ruth, ass.

I couldn't relate to any of the characters because they didn't even act human, no passion, no human spirit, no nothing. Maybe they didn't have any souls after all!

I hate Michael Bay movies, but I would take The Island over this drudgery any day of the week. At least that film had characters with an ounce of passion, with the will to live, to escape, to fight back, to do SOMETHING besides just sit there and mope and whine and hope it's sappy enough to land an oscar.
Old 02-06-11, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
I literally started laughing during that scene. I'm glad you guys found something to enjoy out of this film, but wow, I friggin' hated it (besides the cinematography which was pretty nice).

Spoiler:

I really enjoyed the Hailsham portion of the film, but the last two sections they just completely lost me.

Tommy getting out of the car and screaming was just stupid, besides which you could see it coming a mile away. So you'll scream and such, but you won't even run away or fight at all?

Plus it was hilarious when Ruth was seeking redemption and Tommy is all like "a little late for that now, isn't it Ruth?" Look jackass, you're the one who was effing her brains out night after night while your soul mate had to listen to it all. Yeah, go ahead and point all the blame at Ruth, ass.

I couldn't relate to any of the characters because they didn't even act human, no passion, no human spirit, no nothing. Maybe they didn't have any souls after all!

I hate Michael Bay movies, but I would take The Island over this drudgery any day of the week. At least that film had characters with an ounce of passion, with the will to live, to escape, to fight back, to do SOMETHING besides just sit there and mope and whine and hope it's sappy enough to land an oscar.
I think you missed the point.
Spoiler:
The film is about how these people cannot have lives or be "people" in the fullest sense; their failure to act is a tragic part of their existence. It's like they've never even considered that they could. They are so indoctrinated about the limits of the world that none of them know how to fight or run or rebel.
Old 02-06-11, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
I think you missed the point.
Spoiler:
The film is about how these people cannot have lives or be "people" in the fullest sense; their failure to act is a tragic part of their existence. It's like they've never even considered that they could. They are so indoctrinated about the limits of the world that none of them know how to fight or run or rebel.
I understand what you're getting at, I just don't feel like the movie reasonably established that kind of mentality.

Spoiler:

Look at the scene with Tommy learning that deferments or whatever aren't real, and his rage later when he screams out. He's obviously upset, has some passion inside him, so DO SOMETHING! Just don't give up! Is that what the film is trying to say, or what? I just found I couldn't relate to these characters after a certain point. Reminds me of people complaining about LOST when characters oftentimes wouldn't just stop and ask WHY! Anyway, I've said my piece. I don't mean to be an ass, just really wanted to like this film and ended up very disappointed.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.