Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Keira Knightly to star in "Never Let Me Go" - and it sounds familiar

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Keira Knightly to star in "Never Let Me Go" - and it sounds familiar

Old 03-03-09, 04:48 PM
  #26  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 24
Re: Keira Knightly to star in "Never Let Me Go" - and it sounds familiar

Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
I love it. Looks like we've backed Baby into a corner.
You can't really be this thick, surely? You must be doing this because you somehow find it amusing?!

Linking to six versions of the exact same story doesn't strengthen your argument. It takes at least twenty. If you look hard enough I'm sure you can get there.

Yes, the story involves clones. Yes, they are harvested for organs. No, that is not the plot. All that is abundantly clear from the book.

You might as well claim all stories where a man is shot by a gun have the same basic plot. You know, like Saving Private Ryan and Reservoir Dogs. Exact same shit. There's even blood in both of them.
Udpint is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 04:51 PM
  #27  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
UAIOE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: LV-426
Posts: 6,598
Re: Keira Knightly to star in "Never Let Me Go" - and it sounds familiar

Because movie adaptations are always 100% faithful to the book.
UAIOE is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 04:55 PM
  #28  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 24,661
Re: Keira Knightly to star in "Never Let Me Go" - and it sounds familiar

Originally Posted by Udpint View Post
You can't really be this thick, surely? You must be doing this because you somehow find it amusing?!

Linking to six versions of the exact same story doesn't strengthen your argument. It takes at least twenty. If you look hard enough I'm sure you can get there.

Yes, the story involves clones. Yes, they are harvested for organs. No, that is not the plot. All that is abundantly clear from the book.

You might as well claim all stories where a man is shot by a gun have the same basic plot. You know, like Saving Private Ryan and Reservoir Dogs. Exact same shit. There's even blood in both of them.
It's amazing how the simplest concepts seem to escape you. Rarely on this forum has someone so completely missed the point as you do.

You seem to have a very difficult time separating yourself from the plot of the BOOK and the MOVIE. Just so you know, they are two different things.

This would be remotely the first time a movie adaptation strayed far from the book. Hell, movie studios have made billions doing that to Phillip K. Dick stories alone. Whatever the book may be about, this movie is about clones and organ harvesting.

The level of ignorance you have displayed in this thread is mind boggling. If this is all that you intend to bring to this forum, then perhaps you should stick with the folks at IMBD or AICN, they are far more your level.
DVD Josh is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 04:56 PM
  #29  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 24
Re: Keira Knightly to star in "Never Let Me Go" - and it sounds familiar

No. They never are. But nothing in that brief Variety story indicates changes to the plot. It doesn't describe the plot at all, in fact. There's just a one sentence description of the basic premise.
In fact it tells us nothing at all about what the plot will be. But if you've read the book you'll know that the fact the article mentions Norfolk as a location is a sign of (at least some) fidelity to the source material.
Udpint is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 05:02 PM
  #30  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
covenant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 4,886
Re: Keira Knightly to star in "Never Let Me Go" - and it sounds familiar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Never_Let_Me_Go

sounds like the same basic plotline...except no one tries to escape.
covenant is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 05:06 PM
  #31  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 24
Re: Keira Knightly to star in "Never Let Me Go" - and it sounds familiar

Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
You seem to have a very difficult time separating yourself from the plot of the BOOK and the MOVIE. Just so you know, they are two different things.
No shit.
Yes, the movie could in theory be about a bunch of kangaroos trying to build a spaceship. We won't really know for sure until we see it - or hear from someone who has. Or maybe someone who's read the script.


This would be remotely the first time a movie adaptation strayed far from the book.
Indeed.
However, given the total absence of any other evidence, surely it's only natural to assume it's going to be roughly along the same lines as the book. Without being able to claim any kind of certainty, of course.

And let me repeat myself once again. There's nothing at all in the short Variety story (from which all the others are copied) to indicate any sort of deviations from the plot of the book. That doesn't mean there won't be any, but it does mean you can't use it as "proof" that there will or to say anything about what the inevitable changes will be.

A small hint is given at the start of the article, though. It refers to the flim as a love story. Is that what you'd say The Island is?

Last edited by Udpint; 03-03-09 at 05:44 PM.
Udpint is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 05:09 PM
  #32  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 24,661
Re: Keira Knightly to star in "Never Let Me Go" - and it sounds familiar

Is the Island a love story? It certainly has elements of that, yes.
DVD Josh is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 05:15 PM
  #33  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 24
Re: Keira Knightly to star in "Never Let Me Go" - and it sounds familiar

Originally Posted by covenant View Post

sounds like the same basic plotline...except no one tries to escape.
So except for the plot it's the same plot?

The makers of Clonus sued Dreamworks because of what they perceived to be similarities between the two.
Here's a list of those similarities (from the Wikipedia article for Clonus - I'm not allowed to post links):

* There is a secret community of clones who are being grown so that their organs can be harvested in order to extend the lives of people who are wealthy enough to afford it.
* When a clone needs to be harvested they get "randomly" chosen to go to the non-existent utopia that they have been told about: "America" in Clonus, "The Island" in The Island.
* The community of clones is closely monitored by video surveillance and uniformed guards, who closely observe the actions of the clones.
* The main character is an inquisitive clone living in the community who finds clues about the outside world, and eventually escapes the community.
* A woman which the community staff try to keep the main character from getting too close to and who becomes the love interest for the protagonist, urging the protagonist to return to the facility after escaping.
* The project director sends assassins after the character.
* The main character gets betrayed by a genetic parent/sponsor he seeks and contacts in the outside world.
* The President of the United States (candidate for President in Clonus) is known to have a clone.
* The cloning program is exposed at the end of the film.


Not a single one of those nine applies to Never Let Me Go (the book).
Udpint is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 05:19 PM
  #34  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 24
Re: Keira Knightly to star in "Never Let Me Go" - and it sounds familiar

Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
Is the Island a love story? It certainly has elements of that, yes.
So you'd say it's a love story rather than an action movie or a thriller?
I suppose that's quite a subjective question, but it's certainly not the category I'd use for it.

ETA:
Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
this movie is about clones and organ harvesting.
This is perhaps the crux of the matter.
Yes, if the movie is at all faithful to the novel it will have to feature clones and organ harvesting.
But "clones and organ harvesting" isn't a plot. And two storylines don't become basically the same because they happen to share those two elements.

Last edited by Udpint; 03-03-09 at 05:32 PM.
Udpint is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 06:45 PM
  #35  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: So Cal
Posts: 7,072
Re: Keira Knightly to star in "Never Let Me Go" - and it sounds familiar

I guess I better trash my screen play for Billy and the Clonosaurus.
Superboy is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 07:03 PM
  #36  
DVD Talk Legend
 
whotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ^ Kristen Bell
Posts: 18,939
Re: Keira Knightly to star in "Never Let Me Go" - and it sounds familiar

Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
Keira Knightley will star in the sci-fi thriller "Never Let Me Go" for Fox Searchlight.


Seriously, it's ridiculous that the studio and producer thought this was an original idea. Just off the top of my head, there are at least two movies exactly like this one:
.
so this is just you saying they thought it was an original idea.
whotony is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 07:14 PM
  #37  
DVD Talk Legend
 
spainlinx0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: NJ
Posts: 14,666
Re: Keira Knightly to star in "Never Let Me Go" - and it sounds familiar

Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
I love it. Looks like we've backed Baby into a corner.

Look Jack, it's not ranting and raving. It's cold fact. That's what the movie is going to be about. If it varies from the book, then that's a different argument.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...ryid=1237&cs=1

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/13414

http://www.sliceofscifi.com/2009/03/...ver-let-me-go/

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009...scifi-nev.html

http://www.canmag.com/nw/13540-keira...ever-let-me-go

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2009/03/02...-fi-clone-pic/

It's about clones. Deal with it son.
Star Wars had clones. Is that the same movie?
spainlinx0 is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 07:39 PM
  #38  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 17,544
Re: Keira Knightly to star in "Never Let Me Go" - and it sounds familiar

Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
Let's boil down the plots of these movies to their basic premises:

The 6th Day: Clones grown for harvesting become self-aware
Just to nit-pick, this isn't the basic premise of 6th Day. In that film, the clones are grown to fully replace the original; there's no organ harvesting since the consciousness of the original person is simply transferred to the clone. Also, the clones are grown rapidly in a tank, and have no consciousness until its downloaded into them.

I'd also quibble with the use of the term "self-aware," since that refers to consciousness, which the clones in Island and NLMG already had at the beginning of the story. I think you were meaning to refer to them discovering what they really are (clones), and why they were made (organ harvesting).

Originally Posted by Udpint View Post
Yes, the story involves clones. Yes, they are harvested for organs. No, that is not the plot.
Well, it's the premise, and in both stories, the clones are initially unaware that they are clones and are kept in the dark by their keepers. So there are similarities.

Originally Posted by Udpint View Post
You might as well claim all stories where a man is shot by a gun have the same basic plot. You know, like Saving Private Ryan and Reservoir Dogs.
That's a bad example, since "a man is shot by a gun" is a plot point in each story, not the premise or main plot of either. Also, Reservoir Dogs is a rip-off of another film (City on Fire).


Originally Posted by Udpint View Post
Here's a list of those similarities (from the Wikipedia article for Clonus - I'm not allowed to post links):

* There is a secret community of clones who are being grown so that their organs can be harvested in order to extend the lives of people who are wealthy enough to afford it.
Remove "secret" from this plot point, and it applies to NLMG.
Jay G. is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 10:11 PM
  #39  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 431
Re: Keira Knightly to star in "Never Let Me Go" - and it sounds familiar

I have seen Clonus, seen the 6th Day, seen The Island, and *read* Never Let Me Go.

Two of those are very similar (Clonus and The Island), the other two are not.

Frankly I don't see how many radically different types of plots you can have about clones. I mean, why would clones exist? To perform labor or provide longevity to actual people.

Didn't Roger Ebert say it's not what a film is about, but *how* it's about what it's about?

Never Let Me Go is so far from the three "clone" films in terms of narrative, tone, and theme (and, uh, *quality*), that anybody trying to lump them all together simply hasn't seen (or read) them all.
NIMH Rat is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 10:32 PM
  #40  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
UAIOE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: LV-426
Posts: 6,598
Re: Keira Knightly to star in "Never Let Me Go" - and it sounds familiar

To be honest, using "human cloning" for movie plots is really starting to get stale.
UAIOE is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 11:09 PM
  #41  
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 448
Re: Keira Knightly to star in "Never Let Me Go" - and it sounds familiar

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus View Post
While the basic plot shares some elements with those others, if you'd read the book, you would know that this is about the furthest thing from being a rehash. It is very much a character-driven drama, intimite, frustrated and tragic, and the cloning aspect, while important, isn't even a particularly major part of the story. Whether or not the film ends up translating any of this successfully remains to be seen, but it's silly to write it off...
I think OP pretty much admitted he hasn't. And I agree, it's beyond silly to dismiss a movie based on one-line synopsis.
iamiam is offline  
Old 03-04-09, 01:06 AM
  #42  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,916
Re: Keira Knightly to star in "Never Let Me Go" - and it sounds familiar

Originally Posted by UAIOE View Post
To be honest, using "human cloning" for movie plots is really starting to get stale.
While I'd like to agree, but there really hasn't been a good one.
PopcornTreeCt is offline  
Old 03-05-09, 12:06 AM
  #43  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
UAIOE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: LV-426
Posts: 6,598
Re: Keira Knightly to star in "Never Let Me Go" - and it sounds familiar

That probably has a lot to do with the "clones" plot being stale.
UAIOE is offline  
Old 03-05-09, 02:40 AM
  #44  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
tylergfoster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,540
Re: Keira Knightly to star in "Never Let Me Go" - and it sounds familiar

tylergfoster is offline  
Old 03-06-09, 04:03 AM
  #45  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
UAIOE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: LV-426
Posts: 6,598
Re: Keira Knightly to star in "Never Let Me Go" - and it sounds familiar



That is the best.
UAIOE is offline  
Old 06-16-10, 02:06 PM
  #46  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sitting on a beach, earning 20%
Posts: 9,917
Re: Keira Knightly to star in "Never Let Me Go" - and it sounds familiar

The trailer.

Thanks Mark Romanek, I'm SAD now, are you HAPPY?

Read this last year and the news of the talent behind a film adaptation didn't disappoint me in the least. Yes, the trailer's a bit "Academy Award Winning Movie Trailer", but aren't they all as we go into the year's second half?
DonnachaOne is offline  
Old 06-16-10, 02:09 PM
  #47  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sitting on a beach, earning 20%
Posts: 9,917
Re: Keira Knightly to star in "Never Let Me Go" - and it sounds familiar

Hmm, I see it was already posted in the other/older/shorter thread... I asked a mod to combine the two for simplicity's sake.
DonnachaOne is offline  
Old 06-16-10, 05:23 PM
  #48  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Numanoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Down in 'The Park'
Posts: 27,882
Re: Keira Knightly to star in "Never Let Me Go" - and it sounds familiar

Mmmm...Carey Mulligan.
Numanoid is offline  
Old 06-16-10, 09:55 PM
  #49  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Briarwood Sanatarium
Posts: 4,293
Re: Keira Knightly to star in "Never Let Me Go" - and it sounds familiar

Keira was toples in The Hole too
JJE-187 is offline  
Old 06-17-10, 07:45 AM
  #50  
DVD Talk Legend
 
matome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: NY
Posts: 12,304
Re: Keira Knightly to star in "Never Let Me Go" - and it sounds familiar

and she was only 15-16 when they filmed that one
matome is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.