Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Suicide Squad (2016, Ayer) S: Smith, Leto, Robbie, Courtney, Kinnaman, Davis

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Suicide Squad (2016, Ayer) S: Smith, Leto, Robbie, Courtney, Kinnaman, Davis

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-14, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Re: Suicide Squad (2016, Ayer) S: Smith, Hardy, Leto, Robbie

^Have you watched Sleepy Hollow yet? I'm hoping Nicole & Lyndie get some movie success soon (Superhero flicks)

Nicole did some good stuff in Shame
Old 12-17-14, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn! maybe I should start watching Sleepy Hollow.
Old 12-17-14, 12:01 PM
Banned

I am marathon watching Sleepy Hollow season 1 right now. It's okay at best. The episodes that focus strictly on the headless horseman are pretty good, but there's a lot of "monster of the week" episodes too, and they are very mediocre. Unless it improves by the end of the season, I don't think I will continue on with the next season. (I'm on episode 10 now, and it's a 13 episode season.)
Old 12-17-14, 12:45 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn. You're patient.

My roommate watches the show. Whenever I pass along her watching it I stick around for a minute or two to see anything worth my time. Someimes I'll watch 10 minutes w/ her if I'm bored. I think I don't like the guy. I dunno... just seems pretty weak scripting.
Old 12-17-14, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

It's a fun show, but the monster of the week episodes in S2 are pretty bad. Worse than S1.
Old 12-17-14, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Nicole Beharie is the primary reason to keep watching Sleepy Hollow, the show has loosened up in its second season. I thought the first season was fairly terrible but it has the best monster VFX on television.
Old 12-17-14, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think it's pretty enjoyable. The mythology is all over the place, and the show uneasily feels a little too much like a knockoff of Buffy and Supernatural, but Kutzman & Orci and Wiseman have a lot of clout and the production values are exceptional. It's fun in a shambolic sort of way, plus the odd couple stuff with the two leads is really entertaining.
Old 12-20-14, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Davis is great on How to Get away with Murder.

Much better pick for Waller than Cynthia Addai Robinson on Arrow. Davis has the gravitas that Waller requires.
I watched a few episodes of How To Get Away With Murder. Found it boring honestly.

Addai-Robinson is very good for the version of Waller Arrow created.
Old 01-15-15, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Hardy out due to scheduling, WB reaching out to Gyllenhaal

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...e-squad-764095
Old 01-15-15, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Well that sucks. I like Gyllenhaal but I much prefer Hardy.
Old 01-15-15, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Gyllenhaal might be good and be nice to see him re-team with Ayer again.
Old 01-16-15, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

re: Suicide Squad (2016, Ayer) S: Smith, Leto, Robbie, Courtney, Kinnaman, Davis

EXCLUSIVE: The Real Reason For Tom Hardy's Exit From 'Suicide Squad'

Superhero projects are big business, and big business is primarily about a product. When Warner Bros. announced David Ayer was going to direct Suicide Squad for the company's first non-Superman entry into their DC Comics Cinematic Universe, the studio knew it had to be competitive in an environment where big movie stars want in on the superhero game and cast the film accordingly.

Heavy hitters Will Smith and Jared Leto joined respected Tom Hardy, Margo Robbie and simply-present Jai Courtney. At the time these actors signed on, they were NOT given a script for Suicide Squad.

Now, we've learned why Tom Hardy has dropped out of the project. According to sources, He simply didn't like the script he was finally given, he didn't like the drastic change to the character. Like we figured, the scheduling conflict is a cover story, so he left the project under amicable terms.

The rumor is the latest draft of Suicide Squad has upped the screen time of Deadshot and The Joker at the expense of the lesser-villains in the movie like Rick Flagg. This also may have contributed to Hardy's exit.
http://www.latino-review.com/news/ex...-suicide-squad
Old 01-16-15, 06:55 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
re: Suicide Squad (2016, Ayer) S: Smith, Leto, Robbie, Courtney, Kinnaman, Davis

hrmmm. Who's writing this?
Old 01-16-15, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Surprise, surprise that The Joker is set to have a large role in this film. I still don't know why the hell they're introducing The Joker in a non-Batman film or why DC is focusing on the Suicide Squad as the film that follows Batman V Superman.
Old 01-16-15, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Because WB doesn't really know what they're doing? They've made major announcements, but rarely are they making sound decisions.
Old 01-16-15, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by islandclaws
Because WB doesn't really know what they're doing? They've made major announcements, but rarely are they making sound decisions.
Yeah I definitely share those sentiments. Everything they're doing just feels so haphazard and not well thought out or put together at this point in time. It feels like they're just making films for the sake of making them but don't really have a clue as to what direction they ultimately want to take their film universe. A film based on a team that's as random (to casual fans at least) as the Suicide Squad being made in the first place is an odd choice and the fact that they're doing it so early in the timeline of their films really just doesn't make much sense at all.
Old 01-16-15, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In some ways, it does make sense. They're desperate to be Marvel, and seeing the success of an unknown, ragtag group like GotG clearly had them eager to jump on board any "unknown-but-could-turn-hot" property under their umbrella. Unlike GotG, however, they're hoping a few fan favorite characters and some big names will be enough to draw in moviegoers since they have no established brand as of yet. I'll bet if GotG had bombed SS wouldn't even be on the table.
Old 01-17-15, 01:49 AM
Banned

DC has been pushing Suicide Squad in media outside comics a lot lately, so it isn't exactly surprising that they are planning a movie with them. Suicide Squad has recently been in both the Arrow TV series and the Arkham video games. Being in the movies is the next logical step. Although a dedicated movie just for Suicide Squad is a bit weird. It would have made more sense for them to appear in a movie as secondary characters rather than the primary (like how they appear as secondary characters in the TV shows and video games).
Old 01-17-15, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
DC has been pushing Suicide Squad in media outside comics a lot lately, so it isn't exactly surprising that they are planning a movie with them. Suicide Squad has recently been in both the Arrow TV series and the Arkham video games. Being in the movies is the next logical step. Although a dedicated movie just for Suicide Squad is a bit weird. It would have made more sense for them to appear in a movie as secondary characters rather than the primary (like how they appear as secondary characters in the TV shows and video games).
And the animated movie, Assault on Arkham which I enjoyed
Spoiler:
Old 01-17-15, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by taffer
Even so, a film about an obscure team of mostly B-list villains as the focus for the third film in the universe they're trying to establish just seems like a really random decision. I would think that they'd actually want to focus on giving their main heroes films and if they go over well then consider a Suicide Squad film. At this point in time it just feels like the wrong thing to put their attention towards. Plus if the film focuses a lot of attention towards The Joker like that article states I really have an issue with establishing that character in a non-Batman film as his introduction to this DC film universe.

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
And the animated movie, Assault on Arkham which I enjoyed
Spoiler:
The DCAU is a lot different though. The films aren't as big scale as the live action films plus while not everything is interconnected there's been enough shows and films established in that universe that Assault on Arkham being a Suicide Squad film worked out.

Last edited by Mike86; 01-17-15 at 03:54 AM.
Old 01-19-15, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Good move for Hardy to get away from this. It has massive turd written all over it. Any film with Will Smith in these days is a must avoid. I like Jared Leto, but I get the feeling his Joker will be way to literal to what people expect. He is between a rock and a hard place with it though. He would get scorn for ripping off Ledgers take on the character and anything else will basically be the comic book version. I don't think the character has that many interpretations that can be made. Anything truly original will probably feel totally out of place in this movie.

The only reason I want to see this movie is seeing Robbie in hopefully a skimpy outfit. I have little faith in this movie, but at least the Joker isn't an Internet blogger in the movie.
Old 01-19-15, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
at least the Joker isn't an Internet blogger in the movie.
Nope. He does podcasts.
Old 01-19-15, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by james2025a
Good move for Hardy to get away from this. It has massive turd written all over it. Any film with Will Smith in these days is a must avoid. I like Jared Leto, but I get the feeling his Joker will be way to literal to what people expect. He is between a rock and a hard place with it though. He would get scorn for ripping off Ledgers take on the character and anything else will basically be the comic book version. I don't think the character has that many interpretations that can be made. Anything truly original will probably feel totally out of place in this movie.
Yeah I do feel sorry for Leto a bit. Its going to be hard to top Ledger's performance in the minds of a lot of people I think and comparisons will be drawn obviously no matter what. I think though if the new version of The Joker is played closer to the comic counterpart it won't be as bad but it really just depends what direction the character is taken.
Old 01-20-15, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

David Ayers has proven himself a capable filmmaker several times over, is it so hard to wait and see on this, or do we have to write it off immediately?
Old 01-20-15, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
David Ayers has proven himself a capable filmmaker several times over, is it so hard to wait and see on this, or do we have to write it off immediately?
What'd you think?

Personally, I'm looking forward to it but it's apparent I'm in the minority.

That being said, it is understandable given how Warner has been pushing the DC line thus far. It all really hinges on Batman vs Superman, though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.