DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Greatest Movie of All Time Tournament: Suggestion Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/550654-greatest-movie-all-time-tournament-suggestion-thread.html)

woody5254 02-26-09 09:04 AM

Greatest Movie of All Time Tournament: Suggestion Thread

If this has already been done let me know, and I will stop now.

Here is my idea:
I am going to set up a huge tourney to determine our favorite movies of all time. I know we can probably guess many of the winners(Godfather and so on), but the fun part will come in the upsets.

Format for the tourney:
256 Prelimanary rounds(The 256 groups will each have one of the imdb top 250, six other movies will be picked to headline the other groups) with 8-10 Movies per group with the top 2 from each group advancing.
That will weed it down to the top 512 and I will seed according to the results of the prelimanary rounds. #1 will face #512 and so on bracket style.

The absolute cap for this is 2560 movies. So here is where you come in, I need suggestions for movies. I will cover all the big ones, but I need your suggestions for some of the wildcards you would like to see in there. Foreign movies, Horror movies, and so on. So please suggest up to 10 movies you would like to see included. As soon as I get up to the limit I will randomly seed the preliminary rounds and we can get started.

Let me know if you like the idea or not. If it is a big waste of time and you think I won't get much input I will stop now.

tommyp007 02-26-09 09:39 AM

Re: Greatest Movie of All Time Tournament: Suggestion Thread

Sure, here's kinda my top 10

Casablanca
JFK
Pulp Fiction
Hunt for Red October
Young Frankenstein
Heat
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Some Like it Hot
North by Northwest
Rear Window

slop101 02-26-09 09:55 AM

Here's my 10, roughly:

Treasure of Sierra Madre
Third Man
Viridiana
Chimes at Midnight
Black Narcissus
Vertigo
The Wild Bunch
Pinocchio
French Connection
Raging Bull

fumanstan 02-26-09 09:56 AM

The Dark Knight wins this!

OldBoy 02-26-09 10:01 AM

CK or Godfather

Gunde 02-26-09 10:17 AM

It's not The Godfather and it's definitely not The Dark Knight.

Here are mine:
Janghwa, Hongryeon (A Tale Of Two Sisters)
Dead Man's Shoes
Citizen Kane
Shadow Of A Doubt
Mou Gaan Dou (Infernal Affairs)
Rebecca
El Laberinto del Fauno (Pan's Labyrinth)
Dawn Of The Dead
Rear Window
Pulp Fiction

Ash Ketchum 02-26-09 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by woody5254 (Post 9292833)
If this has already been done let me know, and I will stop now.

Here is my idea:
I am going to set up a huge tourney to determine our favorite movies of all time.

Your header says "Greatest Movie of All Time," but your post says "our favorite movies of all time." Big difference there.

For instance, I have no problem with calling CITIZEN KANE the greatest movie ever made, but I don't know that it would go in my top ten list of favorites. Maybe my top 50.

Can you clarify?

Thanks.

The Bus 02-26-09 10:27 AM

2560 movies? That's going to be 256 polls. That's going to:

A) Take Forever
B) Clog up the Forum

We've had "best" movie discussions ad nauseum. We need more "your favorite" movies. The Godfather is an excellent, excellent film. But I've seen Sahara three times as much as I've seen The Godfather. It would be interesting to see other results if it is made very clear to us which movie we enjoy watching more or have seen more, etc. This will still have some clear favorites (Star Wars, a lot of Kurt Russell films), but at least it will be different than "the best" movie.

We don't need 2560 movies to know what the Top 10 will look like. People can include The Outlaw Josie Wales and Last Starfighter and Snatch. and Bad Day at Black Rock but these movies won't make the Top 10. It's an exercise in futility.

bootsy 02-26-09 10:29 AM

Shawshank Redemption
25th Hour
Saving Private Ryan
Collateral
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
Memento
No Country for Old Men
The Departed
The Dark Knight
A Few Good Men

Groucho 02-26-09 10:32 AM

I have no problem with this, but as previously stated The Dark Knight is going to win so you can save yourself a lot of trouble.

riotinmyskull 02-26-09 10:39 AM

another fucking dark knight thread.

i'd also like to add that i think this is not a good idea.

Yakuza Bengoshi 02-26-09 10:40 AM

I'd recommend substituting "most popular" for "greatest" in your thread title.

chris_sc77 02-26-09 10:49 AM

DO the RIght THing
The LIfe Aquatic
Kwaidan
Perfume: The Story of a Murderer
Titus
There WIll Be Blood
Paris, Texas
Magnolia
Once Upon A time in the West
One Upon A Time in AMerica

Goat3001 02-26-09 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by The Bus (Post 9293053)
2560 movies? That's going to be 256 polls. That's going to:

A) Take Forever
B) Clog up the Forum

We've had "best" movie discussions ad nauseum. We need more "your favorite" movies. The Godfather is an excellent, excellent film. But I've seen Sahara three times as much as I've seen The Godfather. It would be interesting to see other results if it is made very clear to us which movie we enjoy watching more or have seen more, etc. This will still have some clear favorites (Star Wars, a lot of Kurt Russell films), but at least it will be different than "the best" movie.

We don't need 2560 movies to know what the Top 10 will look like. People can include The Outlaw Josie Wales and Last Starfighter and Snatch. and Bad Day at Black Rock but these movies won't make the Top 10. It's an exercise in futility.

Agree with this. If you have 2560, you'll be including a ton of movies that would have no chance of winning. As stated above, if you 2560 movies (or even more than 300) you'll be including movies such as Snatch, which has no chance up against the Godfather.

And yes you do need to define favorite vs. greatest. I say favorite is the way to go with this kind of poll.

Try doing this: Ask everyone to post their personal top 25 films, in no particular order (get this thread deleted and start a new one). After that weed out the 8 or 16 (for tournament purposes or however else you'd like to do it) that appear the most. Create a tournament with those movies. The one that appears the most is the #1 seed, second most is the #2 seed and so on.

OldBoy 02-26-09 11:09 AM

you could probably do something with one or most of these:
Greatest:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...film-ever.html
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...t-scripts.html
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...time-poll.html

Favorite:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...-all-time.html
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...ie-decade.html
Every Dark Knight Thread Ever!

PopcornTreeCt 02-26-09 11:15 AM

For Your Consideration:
City of God
Children of Men
Almost Famous
The Thing
Gone Baby Gone
A bout de souffle
Pierrot le fou
Killer of Sheep
Pandora's Box
Diary of a Lost Girl

woody5254 02-26-09 11:17 AM

I don't want to clog up the forum. So I am going to use Goat's idea and go for either 32 or 64 movies.

I will clarify with it being favorite movie, meaning which movie would you rather watch on a given night.

I was gonna do the large amount of movies just to see which surprises we would find in the earlier rounds. I realize that for the most part the top 10-20 or so will probably remain the same. I jut thought an individual matchup of say Snatch vs Casablanca would be interesting regardless of whether they have a chance to be #1 overall.

I will restart the thread. I will try to do 2-4 matchups per thread to keep the forum clear.

Solid Snake 02-26-09 11:37 AM

This would only work if you have a poll that could carry that many things.

Goat3001 02-26-09 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by woody5254 (Post 9293220)
I don't want to clog up the forum. So I am going to use Goat's idea and go for either 32 or 64 movies.

I will clarify with it being favorite movie, meaning which movie would you rather watch on a given night.

I was gonna do the large amount of movies just to see which surprises we would find in the earlier rounds. I realize that for the most part the top 10-20 or so will probably remain the same. I jut thought an individual matchup of say Snatch vs Casablanca would be interesting regardless of whether they have a chance to be #1 overall.

I will restart the thread. I will try to do 2-4 matchups per thread to keep the forum clear.

Stick with 32. Asking everyone for their top 25 movies is tough enough (some won't even post 25) but asking for more than that it will be too much. Then you can choose the 32 that appear most. You might be able to do 64 but then you'll have a bunch of movies that only appear once.

When doing the poll threads: Do 5 match ups per thread. You have 10 poll options. Make it so that you can select multiple options and stack the poll so that it is in tournament order. Ask everyone to pick their winner from each match up. They'll make 5 choices. The poll should look like this:

#1 seed - movie
#32 seed - movie
#2 seed - movie
#31 seed - movie
#3 seed - movie
#30 seed - movie
#4 seed - movie
#29 seed - movie
#5 seed - movie
#28 seed - movie

That way you'd get discussion and good tournament flow without clogging the forums up.

woody5254 02-26-09 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Goat3001 (Post 9293335)
The poll should look like this:

#1 seed - movie
#32 seed - movie
#2 seed - movie
#31 seed - movie
#3 seed - movie
#30 seed - movie
#4 seed - movie
#29 seed - movie
#5 seed - movie
#28 seed - movie

That way you'd get discussion and good tournament flow without clogging the forums up.

Yep I posted an example poll at the beginning of this thread to show how I would do it. Thanks for the help on this. I started another thread asking for top 10 lists hopefully I get a lot of input. We will see how that pans out.....

Torchur317 02-26-09 02:32 PM

This should be interesting....

UngersPride 02-26-09 05:59 PM

Maybe substitute "greatest" for "most popular".

NoirFan 02-26-09 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by UngersPride (Post 9294264)
Maybe substitute "greatest" for "most popular".

Done!

Blu Man 02-26-09 07:11 PM

Jaws
Titanic
Back to the Future
Jurassic Park
First Blood
The Shawshank Redemption

tristen 02-26-09 07:53 PM

Billy Wilder's 'The Apartment' is the greatest film ever made...

(according to me)