Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Agora (Amenabar, 2009): Rachel Weisz as Hypatia in Roman Egypt

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-25-09, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Synopsis:
Set in Roman Egypt in the fourth century A.D., Weisz plays astrologer-philosopher Hypatia of Alexandria, who fights to save the collected wisdom of the ancient world. Her slave Davus (Minghella) is torn between his love for his mistress and the possibility of gaining his freedom by joining the rising tide of Christianity.
International Teaser:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/u50zEun07b4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/u50zEun07b4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Official Site
IMDB
Old 02-25-09, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Agora (Amenabar, 2009): Rachel Weisz as Hypatia in Roman Egypt

Looks pretty
much like any other roman period piece
Old 02-25-09, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

If there's no bathtub scene I'm not interested.
Old 02-25-09, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
If there's no bathtub scene I'm not interested.
This

Color palette was boring. There weren't any interesting shots. But I'm a sucker for Roman period films.
Old 02-25-09, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rome Season 3?
Old 05-19-09, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Variety review:
The mother of all secular humanists fights a losing battle against freshly minted religious zealots in “Agora,” a visually imposing, high-minded epic that ambitiously puts one of the pivotal moments in Western history onscreen for the first time. Alejandro Amenabar’s first feature since “The Sea Inside” five years ago foreshadows the transformation of the Roman-dominated ancient world into Christian medieval times through the story of the much-celebrated astronomer and mathematician Hypatia in 4th-century Alexandria. This elaborately produced English-language Spanish production is consistently spectacular and features enough conflict and action to make it marketable, but a certain heaviness of style and lack of an emotional pulse could pose problems for mass audience acceptance, at least in the U.S.
Old 05-19-09, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Can't wait for this. Love historical films, especially ones set in this period, I'm excited to see this particular story told onscreen for the first time, and I like Rachel Weisz a lot (and I've read that she's typically fantastic in this).
Old 05-19-09, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I love Rachel Weisz.

That is all.

Ok... just based on that really short trailer that didn't show much, it at least LOOKS pretty good. And it also reminding me of Rome... even though it's in Egypt.
Old 09-01-09, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

I love that snub at US audiences.

<object width="720" height="438"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/13591"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/13591" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" width="720" height="438"></embed></object>
Old 09-01-09, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hope to see this in a couple weeks at the Toronto Film Festival. Reading that Guy Hendrix Dyas was the production designer on this just sealed the deal for me. His work in Elizabeth: The Golden Age was phenomenal.

And it also reminding me of Rome... even though it's in Egypt.
Egypt was part of the Roman Empire at this period in time so you are correct. HBO's Rome was even planning an entire season set in Egypt until the network told the producers that the second season would also be its last.
Old 09-01-09, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cool to see the Lighthouse at Alexandria...What an amazing piece of engineering for the time.
Old 09-01-09, 10:44 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love Weisz but this looks boring. I saw the trailer a while back but...yeah..looks boring.
Old 04-23-10, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Saw this a couple days ago. I've been thinking about it for two days straight and can't get it out of my head. Any fan of the ancient period (and particularly the fall of pagen Rome and the rise of Christianity) should see this. The sets are absolutely incredible; they've recreated Alexandria in all its glory, including the Lighthouse. It definitely feels more broad than the production of HBO's "Rome" which always seemed smallish scale in nature. The costumes are spot-on and they must have used hundreds of extras. You really do feel like you're completely immersed in the time period.

The performances are very good too. Rachel Weisz plays a philosopher who's struggling to dissect the cosmos and determine the true orbital rotation of the planets. That's where the film gets a little sketchy; the increasingly bloody battle between the pages, the Christians and the Jews is very well done and very emotional, but then the film intermittently switches to Weisz measuring the Earth's orbit and doing calculations and it kind of feels misplaced. It's like "Passion of the Christ" meets "October Sky." But it's based on a real person so I'm not sure how much of that was meant to be true to form.

Like I said, I can't stop thinking about it. The whole situation is just so bloody and tragic, you can't help but feel impacted even after 2000 years. You just want to go in a time machine and travel back to save all those amazing monuments and libraries and scrolls and statues. And it really makes you think about the fall of Rome and how colossal a shift it was to move from paganism to Christianity and the violent nature of the changeover as different sides battled it out. No religion here really comes out looking that good, although the Christians are painted as the worst aggressors which is historically accurate.

It's not the most amazing film but it's one I would recommend to anyone with even a scant amount of interest in the time period and what the rise of Christianity looked like on the ground.

Last edited by BJacks; 04-23-10 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-24-10, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would recommend it too.

I saw it a couple of months ago and it's a good period piece film.
Old 04-24-10, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Why has this not yet been given a major release?
Old 08-08-10, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts

Just got back from seeing this and it blew me away. Was not it expecting it to be THAT good, but it's just a beautiful film and the performances are stellar.
Old 08-08-10, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Where is this playing?
Old 08-08-10, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Where is this playing?
Good luck finding it my friend. It's only in two theaters here in Washington D.C. One at one of the two Landmark chains (Bethesda). The other, a hole in the wall theater in Fairfax Virginia. Which is a real shame. I thought the film was rather epic and deserved a bigger and better release. If you have an all regional DVD player, it comes oout in the U.K. next week.
Old 08-11-10, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Good luck finding it my friend. It's only in two theaters here in Washington D.C. One at one of the two Landmark chains (Bethesda). The other, a hole in the wall theater in Fairfax Virginia. Which is a real shame. I thought the film was rather epic and deserved a bigger and better release. If you have an all regional DVD player, it comes oout in the U.K. next week.
Nobody puts Cinema Arts Theater in a corner
Old 10-10-10, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just rented this movie. Great sad film. If Jews ran Hollywood, this movie would have played in all the US theaters! But nope, Christians don't like movies that make them look bad (when in fact it's a movie that pertains to any fanatical religion during any time and any place) nor do they like unhappy endings!
Old 10-10-10, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Just rented this movie. Great sad film. If Jews ran Hollywood, this movie would have played in all the US theaters! But nope, Christians don't like movies that make them look bad (when in fact it's a movie that pertains to any fanatical religion during any time and any place) nor do they like unhappy endings!
That's what you took away from this film? 'It makes Christians look bad'?

Good grief...
Old 10-10-10, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
That's what you took away from this film? 'It makes Christians look bad'?

Good grief...
Didn't you read what I just wrote? I said it makes any fanatics of any religion look bad - not Christians...but I understand now why US theaters didn't play it in mainstream theaters, because USA is a Christian-controlled country and wouldn't want a movie to to make them look bad. On the surface to Christians, they will think this movie is making fun of them. But the moral of the movie is that it's pertaining to all religions. The movie makes Christians look bad according to Christians because a closed-minded religious person will only see this movie as the way it is shown, not what's underneath.
Old 10-10-10, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You could have simply answered "yes" and saved some typing.
Old 10-10-10, 10:05 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Didn't you read what I just wrote? I said it makes any fanatics of any religion look bad - not Christians...but I understand now why US theaters didn't play it in mainstream theaters, because USA is a Christian-controlled country and wouldn't want a movie to to make them look bad. On the surface to Christians, they will think this movie is making fun of them. But the moral of the movie is that it's pertaining to all religions. The movie makes Christians look bad according to Christians because a closed-minded religious person will only see this movie as the way it is shown, not what's underneath.
I dunno man...I don't think this film would've been big here. The trailers looked boring...which usually isn't a good thing.
Old 10-10-10, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
You could have simply answered "yes" and saved some typing.
According to closed-minded, conservative Christians...yes. But for me, no.

Why don't you think Agora played in the USA?

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I dunno man...I don't think this film would've been big here. The trailers looked boring...which usually isn't a good thing.
No, not boring at all - it's an exciting film and moves along at a very quick pace - not one dull moment in the film. The teaching/talky scenes are even more exciting than the action scenes! Definitely a rental! I'm glad I didn't buy the Spanish blu-ray, cuz it is a great movie once type of film. I don't think I could watch it so many times.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.