Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sooo..if you're not doing anything this Sat, how about watching my MTV movie show?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sooo..if you're not doing anything this Sat, how about watching my MTV movie show?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-09, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Sooo..if you're not doing anything this Sat, how about watching my MTV movie show

I was just actually going to post that link.

Originally Posted by Wil Wheaton
When the movie was over, we got down to the business of making the TV show. This can be really tedious, and people who go watch a taping of a show hardly ever go back again, because it just isn't that fun. It could have been a disaster, with a theater that was mostly geeks, but MTV did a fairly good job moving things along, even though the producer who was sort of managing all of us geeks between shots was clearly out of his element, Donny.

Case in point: there were two dudes in the front of the theater dressed up as the Comedian and Rorschach. The producer had them stand up, and the geeks in the audience went nuts, because how cool was that, right?

The producer said something about how the Rorschach guy's costume was so great, they couldn't even tell if it was a fan or ... he stammered for a second ... or ... "you know, the guy who, um, plays Rorschach. The actor. I don't know his name."

The geeks just savaged the guy with boos. It was mostly good natured, but when the producer said, "Hey, hey, hey! I don't get to watch these movies, because I'm really busy making TV shows. You know, like My Sweet Sixteen," they totally turned on him with a taunting so vicious, I expected someone to put a cow into a catapult. It was hilarious. I mean, talk about not knowing who your audience is!

He would repeatedly try to get the audience back on his side for the rest of the evening, but it was like DC 25, and he got -5 for each failed attempt. I think he was up to DC 70 by the time we all left, but it was all in good fun.
BJacks, that was you, huh?
Old 02-19-09, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Sooo..if you're not doing anything this Sat, how about watching my MTV movie show

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Just wondering why the audience for the Watchmen went thru a casting company? Gotham Casting?
We use Gotham for most of our events, like for movie awards, etc. We try to get as many fans on our own but we need to make sure every seat is filled, so that's where Gotham comes in. It doesn't mean they're sending us models, it's not that kind of casting agency. They just help get the word out and organize/manage all the people that RSVP.
Old 02-19-09, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I was just actually going to post that link.

BJacks, that was you, huh?
Ha, I'm not sure who that was, it must have been a freelance producer that we brought on to help out. All of our floor producers are watchmen experts.
Old 02-19-09, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realize that this show is about movies but wouldn't it be more appropriate to have this in TV show section?
Old 02-20-09, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dino88
HEY JERKOFFS, COULD YOU RELEASE THE STATE ON DVD ALREADY?!! It's there and ready to be put on the shelves. The creators of the show put a lot of work into the extras for the dvd and they want it released. Why the hell are you keeping this under lock and key, while you put every other shit show from your channel on the shelves?
x2

Originally Posted by BJacks
I'll ask the home vid folks tomorrow. I think the last I heard is there were rights issues.
I thought they cut out all/most of the music that had problems with rights?
Old 02-20-09, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Duh Vuh Duh
x2

I thought they cut out all/most of the music that had problems with rights?
Not sure, I just know there's gotta be something holding it up; thought I heard it was that.

David Wain is live blogging the oscars for us this sunday, I'll see if I have the nerve to ask him if he knows.
Old 02-20-09, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by dx23
There is huge difference between MTV and Fuse. MTV has worldwide market penetration while FUSE is only viewed in selected markets. Is like comparing E! to Reelz channel.

The fact is that Viacom, along with all the music studios forgot what made people tune in a watch videos. MTV had a real successful formula until they were purchased by Viacom and then started marketing their music and shows to the 12-17 age demographic along with people with ADD. That is also why the music business continues to have decline in earnings every year. In the past MTV targeted all demographics, especially the 18-32, which usually have disposable income. I am sure that if MTV went back to what it was in the late 80's early 90's and uses the current technology, they be will ten times more successful that what they are right now.
Well said! I, for one, would love to see MTV and VH1 go back to to showing music videos and Behind the Music type shows. Who in their right mind gave the green light to crap like From G's to Gents and Room Raiders 2.0? If the suits at MTV think people would rather watch BS like that and not music videos, their more clueless than I thought they were and that's saying a lot!
Old 02-20-09, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
Well said! I, for one, would love to see MTV and VH1 go back to to showing music videos and Behind the Music type shows. Who in their right mind gave the green light to crap like From G's to Gents and Room Raiders 2.0? If the suits at MTV think people would rather watch BS like that and not music videos, their more clueless than I thought they were and that's saying a lot!
I'd be careful who you call clueless when it comes to this topic.

Do you honestly think that you know more about what MTV & VH1 needs to do to be successful than they do? A major television network with detailed Nielsen ratings information, a dedicated research staff, and millions of dollars worth of in-house consumer / market research? Really?

The main goal of the network is to make as much money as possible. They know what sells far better than you do. BJacks laid out a well-reasoned argument why MTV isn't wall-to-wall videos anymore. Your argument seems to rely on nothing but nostalgia. You want videos? Go to their website or YouTube. They're all there for you.
Old 02-20-09, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

We use Gotham for most of our events, like for movie awards, etc. We try to get as many fans on our own but we need to make sure every seat is filled, so that's where Gotham comes in. It doesn't mean they're sending us models, it's not that kind of casting agency. They just help get the word out and organize/manage all the people that RSVP.
I guess I'm miffed that they don't consider me as part of the target audience.

REQUIREMENTS:
-be a Sci Fi movie fan
-appear 16yrs -30years old was I supposed to just look younger?
-live in LA area
-have amazing energy
The Watchmen came out in 1986. Half of that age group wasn't ALIVE yet.
Old 02-20-09, 02:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CharlieK

Do you honestly think that you know more about what MTV & VH1 needs to do to be successful than they do? A major television network with detailed Nielsen ratings information, a dedicated research staff, and millions of dollars worth of in-house consumer / market research? Really?

The main goal of the network is to make as much money as possible. They know what sells far better than you do. BJacks laid out a well-reasoned argument why MTV isn't wall-to-wall videos anymore. Your argument seems to rely on nothing but nostalgia. You want videos? Go to their website or YouTube. They're all there for you.
I know a lot of people that work in marketing departments for networks and they are all "yes men". Most of the research they do are flawed and usually done to come up with the results the bosses want to hear. Also, there are head honchos in TV stations that do whatever they feel like it and make decisions not based on any type of research.

If they know better than us what we want, then why is MTV struggling worldwide? Their ratings and revenues have constantly gone downhill since 2000 and they can't blame the economy for that. The fact is that because of the lazy marketing research and poor business decisions, such as neglect the target market that made them famous, is what is causing such problems for the network.
Old 02-20-09, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If the best they can come up with is From G's to Gents and Room Raiders 2.0, then yes I do. MTV needs to wake up and realize that more people watch tv than 12-17 year olds.

I shouldn't have to go to a website and watch videos when their are two netorks named Music Television and Video Hits First. Nostalgia has nothing to do with it. Can you honestly say that MTV's and VH1's ratings are better than they were 15 or 20 years ago when they aired music videos and music related tv shows?

Last edited by Sonny Corinthos; 02-20-09 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-20-09, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I know a lot of people that work in marketing departments for networks and they are all "yes men". Most of the research they do are flawed and usually done to come up with the results the bosses want to hear. Also, there are head honchos in TV stations that do whatever they feel like it and make decisions not based on any type of research.
Do these 'yes men' you know so well, who make up these bogus results with their flawed research actually work for MTV? There are shit heads in every line of work. I know people who work for Viacom network research, since I used to work for Time-Warner network research. In my first hand experience, no one ever makes shit up and network honchos often listen to what research has to say. Why would you give a department millions of dollars a year, populate it with qualified and degreed people, and not listen to what they have to say? It doesn't make sense. If you don't care what they have to say, then close them down and save the money.

If they know better than us what we want, then why is MTV struggling worldwide? Their ratings and revenues have constantly gone downhill since 2000 and they can't blame the economy for that. The fact is that because of the lazy marketing research and poor business decisions, such as neglect the target market that made them famous, is what is causing such problems for the network.
Jackass, Real World, Road Rules, Cribs, The Hills, TRL, Making the Band, Super Sweet 16, Newlyweds. I have aged out of MTV's target audience, and haven't watched the network in years save for the occasional award show, yet I was able to name these shows off the top of my head. MTV is still a very, very powerful brand around the world. They are still considered to be tastemakers, and their shows are still able to get into the pop culture lexicon. That translates into ad dollars and merchandising dollars despite ratings. Besides, they own the game 'Rock Band' for Christ's sake! I think that's working out for them pretty well.
Old 02-20-09, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
If the best they can come up with is From G's to Gents and Room Raiders 2.0, then yes I do. MTV needs to wake up and realize that more people watch tv than 12-17 year olds.

I shouldn't have to go to a website and watch videos when their are two netorks named Music Television and Video Hits First. Nostalgia has nothing to do with it. Can you honestly say that MTV's and VH1's ratings are better than they were 15 or 20 years ago when they aired music videos and music related tv shows?
If you are reading this then you are on the internet right now! Go to their website. Watch whatever video you want. Why in the hell would you rather sit in front of the TV and watch what videos someone else programs when you can watch whatever you want right now! I don't understand your argument. I don't see how watching random videos and a shitload of commercials is better than no commercials and the videos you want to see.

And to answer your question; No, the ratings for these 2 networks are not as high as they were in 1989 when there were maybe 50 cable channels and no direct programming competition; no internet to speak of; and relatively archaic gaming systems. So, yeah, you got me on that one. When there was not nearly as much to do, MTV and VH1 were riding high with their all-video programming format.

None of this is on topic, so this will be the last you hear from me about it.

Looking forward to the show, BJacks!
Old 02-20-09, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you are reading this then you are on the internet right now! Go to their website. Watch whatever video you want. Why in the hell would you rather sit in front of the TV and watch what videos someone else programs when you can watch whatever you want right now! I don't understand your argument. I don't see how watching random videos and a shitload of commercials is better than no commercials and the videos you want to see.

And to answer your question; No, the ratings for these 2 networks are not as high as they were in 1989 when there were maybe 50 cable channels and no direct programming competition; no internet to speak of; and relatively archaic gaming systems. So, yeah, you got me on that one. When there was not nearly as much to do, MTV and VH1 were riding high with their all-video programming format.

None of this is on topic, so this will be the last you hear from me about it.

Looking forward to the show, BJacks!
Best news i've heard all day!
Old 02-21-09, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Bump, don't forget to watch!
Old 02-22-09, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Not too bad. I liked seeing the clips, of course. That's the main thrust for the show so, I thought, the clips delivered. The hosts were fine... Kim's cute and she's not afraid to say the word "penis"

Not sure how I felt about the audience. Maybe it's just me but I'm not a big fan of seeing lots of shots of the audience clapping. For them, it's probably cool to get some camera time. Plus, a lot of them worse black t-shirts so they blended in with the seats. Sorta had an odd look in the wide shots... like floating heads. I did like the interviews with the individual audience members. They didn't seem rehearsed or fake.

During the interview with Malin and Patrick I felt bad for Patrick since he only got 1 question. Malin is much cuter, so maybe that was why they kinda left him out.

Finally, hate to say it, but I'm not a real fan of the teaser interview with Zack and then having to go to MTV.com to see the rest. I understand why but I thought it would've been nice not to have to go someplace else to watch the whole thing.

Overall, I'd give it a B... I'd watch it again.
Old 02-22-09, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not too bad. I liked seeing the clips, of course. That's the main thrust for the show so, I thought, the clips delivered. The hosts were fine... Kim's cute and she's not afraid to say the word "penis"

Not sure how I felt about the audience. Maybe it's just me but I'm not a big fan of seeing lots of shots of the audience clapping. For them, it's probably cool to get some camera time. Plus, a lot of them worse black t-shirts so they blended in with the seats. Sorta had an odd look in the wide shots... like floating heads. I did like the interviews with the individual audience members. They didn't seem rehearsed or fake.

During the interview with Malin and Patrick I felt bad for Patrick since he only got 1 question. Malin is much cuter, so maybe that was why they kinda left him out.

Finally, hate to say it, but I'm not a real fan of the teaser interview with Zack and then having to go to MTV.com to see the rest. I understand why but I thought it would've been nice not to have to go someplace else to watch the whole thing.

Overall, I'd give it a B... I'd watch it again.
Old 02-22-09, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
lol...I didn't see the show, but that's funny that they made you go to the website to see the full clip. This reminds me of an MTV awards show awhile back when they kept hyping this post-show performance by Wolfmother, which I was really looking forward to. Finally after hours of sitting through the show and multiple mentions of the post-show we are shown Wolfmother and their "first live perfomance on televsion" (something like that). Except we are only shown about 1/3 of one song and told to go to MTV.com for the full performance. Retarded dicks.
Old 02-22-09, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Missed the show but you can view the full episode online here.
Old 02-22-09, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DVD-ho78(DTS)
Missed the show but you can view the full episode online here.
Just watched it. From seeing that clip of Watchmen it looks as if Snyder could have over slow moed this like he did with 300. But I won't know for sure until March 6th.
Old 02-22-09, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by dino88
lol...I didn't see the show, but that's funny that they made you go to the website to see the full clip.
We didn't make anyone go anywhere else for the Watchmen clip; we showed the entire thing. Tom is referring to the Zack Snyder Q&A which -- since it was 45 minutes long -- had to go online and be teased from the show. No other way to do that; since we wanted to show clips in full on the show, the live stuff (like the Q&A) had to just be highlights with an online throw.

Thanks for the feedback Tom. With each extra our exclusive clips will get larger and larger as well, so hopefully we can do a third.
Old 02-22-09, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The host chick was mighty cute. Can you give her my phone number?

Show was good. Keep it up.
Old 02-22-09, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

We didn't make anyone go anywhere else for the Watchmen clip; we showed the entire thing. Tom is referring to the Zack Snyder Q&A which -- since it was 45 minutes long -- had to go online and be teased from the show. No other way to do that; since we wanted to show clips in full on the show, the live stuff (like the Q&A) had to just be highlights with an online throw.

Thanks for the feedback Tom. With each extra our exclusive clips will get larger and larger as well, so hopefully we can do a third.
Very cool. Keep us tipped on if it happens.

Oh, it was nice to see you listed in the credits
Old 02-22-09, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

The main goal should be to make money as long as possible. Cheap reality shows tarnish the brand. Music is eternal. Third string wash-ups trying to get a blow job aren't.
Old 02-23-09, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

I'd just like to say shame on you (I typed something more profane at first, but changed it only because the mods might bust me for it) to the original poster for being a part of what MTV has become today. MTV is a CABLE channel, therefore as long as people are SUBSCRIBING to it, ratings should not matter! Cable was created to solve all the things that were wrong with broadcast TV, but instead it just became more of the same. That's why I don't have cable or satellite, I would if the REAL MTV were still around.

I'm glad Fuse is headed towards bankruptcy because from what I've seen on that channel, they put an annoying animated logo on the screen. That's the #1 thing I hate about all cable channels and the main reason I don't subscribe to it, and everyone who advocates that practice should be forced to vomit and then to drown in it.

I'm not saying you're personally responsible for what MTV has become, but you obviously have a hand in it. If I worked for MTV nowadays, I'd probably hang myself.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.