Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (2009) (Edgar Wright) (starring Michael Cera)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (2009) (Edgar Wright) (starring Michael Cera)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-10, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
Re: Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (2009) (Edgar Wright) (starring Michael Cera)

Looks like fun. Hadn't really paid attention to what it was about before, so this was a nice surprise. But you know.. the same could be said of Kick Ass.
Old 07-24-10, 08:31 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Saw it last night. Fucking awesome. Wright plays the whole thing fast and furious, which works for almost all of it, except I think the emotions get short shrift, which is a bit annoying, as the whole thing is really meant to be about emotions. But the jokes are fast and hilarious, the performances are all a lot of fun (Kieran Culkin steals the show as Scott's roommate Wallace Wells), and I didn't mind the changes from the comic. I will definitely be seeing this one multiple times.
Old 07-25-10, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the changes work for the film. Mainly because you don't have the six books to develop much of the same emotional connections you do in the books.

I'm just curious as to what the video game ending will be....
Old 07-27-10, 01:11 AM
Banned by request

The video game was written by O'Malley and covers way more than the movie does, so I imagine it will be more in line with Scott Pilgrim's Finest Hour.

Spoiler:
And frankly I think a level set inside of Ramona's head would be awesome.

Spoilers for the movie:

Spoiler:
My only really big issue is that Ramona is left incredibly nebulous, to the point where it's uncertain why she's worth all this trouble. In the comic she's so much more well developed that it's never in question. I personally think they should have left out the battle of the bands with the twins to devote more time to making us understand why Ramona is worth fighting for.
Old 07-29-10, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Spoilers for the movie:

Spoiler:
My only really big issue is that Ramona is left incredibly nebulous, to the point where it's uncertain why she's worth all this trouble. In the comic she's so much more well developed that it's never in question. I personally think they should have left out the battle of the bands with the twins to devote more time to making us understand why Ramona is worth fighting for.
Spoiler:
I think the movie is fine as it is. I saw it a second time and the conclusion I came to is that the book is about romance and growing up, and the movie is just about growing up. And in that regard the focus is on Scott.

That said I think they should have added a line to the finale suggesting that now that Scott is done fighting his battles, he didn't just want to "try again", he wanted to be there for Ramona while she fights hers. It bugged me a great deal that they seriously downplayed her participation in the finale in the film, but I feel like the fact that she's walking away indicates she's off to work through her own things, and I think they could have made that a more romantic moment by suggesting Scott wanted to fight alongside her in an imaginary Ramona Flowers vs. The World.
Old 07-29-10, 01:14 AM
Banned by request

Oh shit, I'd kill for a Ramona Flowers vs. The World movie. Get what's her name who did American Psycho to direct. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Spoiler:
I see what you're saying about growing up and romance versus growing up. The bit about self respect over love proves that point well. OK, you sold me.
Old 07-29-10, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just saw trailer on TV and Im checking out this movie.
Old 07-29-10, 11:26 PM

Just saw a screening of it last night and loved every second of it. I plan on getting the books the next chance I get.

Kieran Culkin stole the movie in the few scenes he got.
Old 07-30-10, 12:47 AM
Banned by request

Yeah, Wallace Wells is a pretty fantastic character, and Kieran Culkin plays him perfectly.
Old 07-30-10, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Just wrapped up the comic series. I cannot wait for this!
Old 07-30-10, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Just read Finest Hour. Have to say... I was kind of underwhelmed. I didn't dislike it. it was just VERY jumpy, O'Malley tried to fit a lot of stuff into it. The other books seem to flow a little better. I know the movie is supposed to be different than the book in regard to its ending, just wanted to make that comment.
Old 07-30-10, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Yeah, the sixth book wasn't my favorite, primarily because it's the longest book but 75% of it is basically one scene. I don't like all of the things they did in the movie, but I found that section flowed better in the film.

My roundtable with Edgar Wright, Michael Cera and Anna Kendrick will be up on DVDTalk soon!
Old 08-02-10, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Michael Cera makes it tough for me to get excited about this movie. I'm still trying to find out if he has an uncle who's a big shot in Hollywood, because the guy has no acting range at all, and shouldn't be getting so many roles.
Old 08-03-10, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Here's my interview!

http://www.dvdtalk.com/interviews/scott_pilgrim_v.html
Old 08-03-10, 06:22 PM
Banned by request

Awesome. Can't wait to see the movie again.
Old 08-04-10, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

After missing an impressive four screenings (including one just a few miles away from me!), I'm finally going to see the movie in Atlanta on Monday. Edgar Wright's supposed to be there, so it'll make up for missing all of his screenings at SDCC.
Old 08-04-10, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Trailers don't do much for me, but I'll give it a shot on Blu-ray later on.
Old 08-04-10, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Saw it last night. Fucking awesome. Wright plays the whole thing fast and furious, which works for almost all of it, except I think the emotions get short shrift, which is a bit annoying, as the whole thing is really meant to be about emotions. But the jokes are fast and hilarious, the performances are all a lot of fun (Kieran Culkin steals the show as Scott's roommate Wallace Wells), and I didn't mind the changes from the comic. I will definitely be seeing this one multiple times.
I saw an advance screening last week, too. Going in not expecting too much, I have to say I left pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. LOTS of laughs. Being a bit burned out on Michael Cera, as well, I have to say this was a film that very much worked in favor of his acting style. I'll definitely see it again once it hits theaters for real, and will be buying the Blu-ray when that eventually comes out, too.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 08-04-10 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-04-10, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
After missing an impressive four screenings (including one just a few miles away from me!), I'm finally going to see the movie in Atlanta on Monday. Edgar Wright's supposed to be there, so it'll make up for missing all of his screenings at SDCC.
The fact that you missed 4 Pilgrim screenings sounds like perfect grist for an epic comedy of errors.
Old 08-06-10, 12:54 AM

I am so looking forward to this. Edgar Wright can do no wrong in my book. Just wish Simon Pegg could have made a cameo appearance.
Old 08-06-10, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Just got back from a preview showing myself.

It was FAN-fucking-TASTIC! I'll be surprised if I see a better, more entertaining movie this year. I'm not even a huge fan of the book, but the movie hit all the right notes, and flowed really well with a it's own rhythm. One of the best times I've had at the movies.

And yeah, the TV ads are pieces of shit, and not anything to go by. Which I knew would be the case as I trust Edgar Wright more than whatever jackass cut the ads together.
Old 08-06-10, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts

I just saw a "First Look" feature on HBO for this and my interest went from "What is this?" to "Oh Shit! I gotta see this movie!!".

I can't wait!
Old 08-06-10, 02:07 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by magman
I am so looking forward to this. Edgar Wright can do no wrong in my book. Just wish Simon Pegg could have made a cameo appearance.
At the Comic Con panel, Edgar Wright was moderating and introduced 13 people involved with the film. After he brought out each one, he said, "And finally, two people who were in Scott Pilgrim, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost!"

At that, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost run out, everyone starts cheering their heads off, the pair are showing off, and then Edgar Wright says, "I'm sorry, I meant NOT in Scott Pilgrim!"

And then Nick Frost and Simon Pegg walked offstage dejected. They didn't show up again.
Old 08-06-10, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

Well, they did throw a freesbie around back and forth. But on a serious note, my only concern now is that everyone who was going to see it, has already done so with the massive amount of free screenings they have had.

Hell, I've already seen it 3 times. Come on Universal, didn't you learn from Serenity that this isn't good tactic.

Needless to say, I will be seeing a fourth time.
Old 08-06-10, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Well, they did throw a freesbie around back and forth. But on a serious note, my only concern now is that everyone who was going to see it, has already done so with the massive amount of free screenings they have had.

Hell, I've already seen it 3 times. Come on Universal, didn't you learn from Serenity that this isn't good tactic.

Needless to say, I will be seeing a fourth time.
As someone pointed out on CHUD, the five screenings they had in the Seattle area is akin to 1 day of business. It seems like too much but it would be shocking if it killed the movie.

That said, while I would really like it to steamroll The Expendables, I have my doubts.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.