Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Worst International Posters Ever

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Worst International Posters Ever

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-09, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Worst International Posters Ever

Originally Posted by Brian T
The title of this thread is offensive.
No one in the thread offended me because they hate these posters.
Failure to appreciate a particular form of art is not ignorance. No amount of knowledge would make Cormac McCarthy and Henry James admire one another's novels, and I suspect Bach would have run screaming from his chapel if someone had played him some jazz.
Old 02-04-09, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 616 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by grrr
Failure to appreciate a particular form of art is not ignorance. No amount of knowledge would make Cormac McCarthy and Henry James admire one another's novels, and I suspect Bach would have run screaming from his chapel if someone had played him some jazz.
Understanding them in context is not an automatic pretext to appreciating them, nor have I tried to imply that. But it's evident that the Cracked writer (especially him) and possibly a few folks here probably don't understand their context, their history or their cultural significance and only see something ugly and worthy of ridicule. That's ignorant. Criticizing them is fair. Hating them is fair. I just wish I was hearing more reasons--PRO and con--than "because they are", "because I say so" or "because art is subjective".

As I said (and in reference to the two quotes I was waiting for someone to pull from my earlier posts), no one in this thread offended me by hating these posters. I find the thread title offensive and needlessly derogatory, and thus not very conducive to the kind of discussion that could have come about much more easily without such wide brushes being hauled out (that disappoints me, but doesn't offend me). Two different things. I think the merits (or flaws) of such posters are worthy of discussion on a case-by-case basis, maybe even in certain groupings, and I'll admit that I like more of them than I dislike and hate none of them, but lumping them all under the header "worst international posters ever" just isn't very fair, any more than titling the thread "Polish movie posters are the greatest art on earth ever" would be. Perhaps if the people who hate the pieces could be more detailed in their rationale, instead of just the dismissing the lot of them wholesale as "bad. Period", the discussion might be quite interesting.

Or maybe not. Who knows. I realize this ain't no art forum.

Etc. Etc.

Last edited by Brian T; 02-04-09 at 12:25 AM.
Old 02-04-09, 04:15 AM

Thread titles aren't randomly assigned on this forum.

It's permitted to admit errors, and I doubt that anyone of substance would judge you for them. For what it's worth, I agree with you and several others here that these are legitimate works of art regardless of whether they are good promotional materials in North America. I do not, however, see any reason to preface every statement with a qualifier when it's clear that all judgments of art are inherently subjective.
Old 02-04-09, 10:01 AM

As I said (and in reference to the two quotes I was waiting for someone to pull from my earlier posts), no one in this thread offended me by hating these posters. I find the thread title offensive and needlessly derogatory, and thus not very conducive to the kind of discussion that could have come about much more easily without such wide brushes being hauled out (that disappoints me, but doesn't offend me). Two different things. I think the merits (or flaws) of such posters are worthy of discussion on a case-by-case basis, maybe even in certain groupings, and I'll admit that I like more of them than I dislike and hate none of them, but lumping them all under the header "worst international posters ever" just isn't very fair, any more than titling the thread "Polish movie posters are the greatest art on earth ever" would be. Perhaps if the people who hate the pieces could be more detailed in their rationale, instead of just the dismissing the lot of them wholesale as "bad. Period", the discussion might be quite interesting.
Like this thread?:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...e-posters.html

I kid. I agree with your stance, but you reminded me that this topic had come up before.
Old 02-04-09, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 616 Likes on 454 Posts

Thread titles aren't randomly assigned on this forum.
I know, but it's too bad we aren't allowed to change them ourselves to facilitate more interesting discussions. Rules is rules, I guess . . .

It's permitted to admit errors, and I doubt that anyone of substance would judge you for them. For what it's worth, I agree with you and several others here that these are legitimate works of art regardless of whether they are good promotional materials in North America. I do not, however, see any reason to preface every statement with a qualifier when it's clear that all judgments of art are inherently subjective.
Neither do I, but since this is a discussion forum, what's the harm in the harshest 'critics' giving some thoughtful, or thought-provoking, reasons as to why they hate the works? Especially when the works in question are known to be the primary form of film advertising in at least one country, and probably more. I'm aware that no one has to do anything, but is it really asking that much? Or do people who hate these posters--or any art for that matter--just assume everyone should automatically understand why? I guess it's the old "I don't know much about art, but I know what I like" routine, eh? On both sides, really. That's a shame. Works like these deserve better; presumably they get it in other venues.

Incidentally, Poland has (and has had) "normal" trailers and TV spots for movies for the most part, so this "style" isn't all-pervasive throughout the country's media, but love it OR hate it, it makes a far more provocative, compelling and personalized print component of the marketing process than just about anything seen in American printed film promotion outside of the occasionally amusing lobby standee, press kit or "interactive" poster/billboard. But again, we seem to like it spelled out for us over here with, as someone mentioned, floating heads and Struzan wannabes . . .

Originally Posted by theflicker
Like this thread?:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...e-posters.html

I kid. I agree with your stance, but you reminded me that this topic had come up before.

Exactly! I find these forums have been around long enough now that MOST topics have come up before. And you're right, the thead title IS loaded, but at least it's not expressly claiming the posters to be the "best ever."

Last edited by Brian T; 02-04-09 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-04-09, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
Why would you assume these weren't actually used in theaters? Is this based on your time in Poland and Eastern Europe?
No, I didn't assume anything. I asked a question because I don't know. As I said, I've only ever seen them online...never seen a single photo of a Polish cinema with such a poster hanging outside. Do you have any such photos? I'd love to see them in actual use.
Old 02-04-09, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

That Polish poster of Howard The Duck is rad.

I want it