Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Plot twists that were spoiled for you? (spoilers)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-09, 03:36 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

no need for tags i think since the whole thread will be one big spoiler and it is in the title...

syphoning off the other thread, there are many times when you look forward to a movie so much and try not to read stuff about it just in case, but no matter how hard you try something sneaks in to blow the cover and let's you down even for just a bit.

recently, i think i saw it opening day, but read a snippet where someone or something said Rachel and Lt. Gordon were killed in "The Dark Knight". that bummed me out a bit. luckily the latter turned out not to be true.

what was spoiled for you and how?

Last edited by OldBoy; 01-25-09 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-25-09, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Plot twists that were spoiled for you? (spoilers)

Months before Ransom came out, I remember seeing a picture of Gary Sinise covered in blood drinking coffee between takes. The caption said something along the lines of 'Gary Sinise takes a break from villianry' or something like that.

Anyways, it didn't bother me until I actually saw the movie, and realized that his involvement was meant to be a bigger reveal.
Old 01-25-09, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

USE TAGS if you are gonna specify the spoiler. Otherwise someone could be talking about a recent movie that others haven't seen. It's freakin' respectful.

Anyway, douchebags on the Internet spoiled THE SIXTH SENSE and THE OTHERS for me. The local movie reviewer spoiled THE USUAL SUSPECTS when it came out. All of whom can go pound sand.
Old 01-25-09, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Robot Chicken spoiled The Village for me.
Old 01-25-09, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, The Village, Star Wars - Episode I: The Phantom Menace, and I think The Usual Suspects.

None of the Saw movies, though. I completely fell for the first one's red herring, and was blown away when I saw the actual twist.

Last edited by tylergfoster; 01-26-09 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-25-09, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, The Village, Star Wars- Episode I: The Phantom Menace, and I think The Usual Suspects.

None of the Saw movies, though. I completely fell for the first one's red herring, and was blown away when I saw the actual twist.
I didn't even know there was a twist before seeing Saw, so it definitely caught me by surprise. The best twist ever IMO
Old 01-25-09, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me, it's more a question of which twists I have not had spoiled. I've had the following ruined for me:

Saw, The Sixth Sense, The Usual Suspects, Fight Club, The Crying Game, The Village, Seven, Reservoir Dogs, High Tension, Citizen Kane, The Empire Strikes Back, Psycho, Identity, etc.
Old 01-25-09, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aegean2007
For me, it's more a question of which twists I have not had spoiled.
Same here. I only go to the movies once or twice a year, so usually the first time I watch a movie is on DVD, months or even years later. By then, I've often read a lot about it online, including spoilers.

One that was not spoiled for me, fortunately, was Memento. As usual, I didn't see it until it came out on DVD, but somehow, I had managed to avoid reading any spoilers before that. I'm glad too, since I was totally blown away by the ending, and the impact would have certainly been lessened if I'd known about it beforehand.

Rob
Old 01-26-09, 07:00 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

A recent thread in this very forum spoiled a very important plot point for Gone Baby Gone.
Old 01-26-09, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Mulholland Drive was spoiled for me, but it didn't bother me so much -- even knowing the twist I still didn't know what the fuck had happend until a good 45 minutes after it ended. Also, Fight Club and The Empire Strikes Back. I'm sure there are others but eh.
Old 01-26-09, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A thread in this forum spoiled Unbreakable.

The '89 Batman and The Crying Game were spoiled because I read articles before seeing the movies. The articles both had spoiler alerts, but I couldn't help myself. For TCG, it was fun knowing the big surprise and watching most of the theater react. My wife practically fell out of her seat.
Old 01-26-09, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Valkerie...someone told me that Hitler lives at the end, and doesn't get assasinated by Tom Cruise...what the hell?
Old 01-26-09, 08:45 AM

Even though i hated the movie regardless, much of the advertising for What Lies Beneath seemed to give away major plot twists so that if you were paying any sort of attention you knew the entire first hour was nothing but a red herring...also the academy award noms ruined the twist in the Crying Game for many people i know.
Old 01-26-09, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by yojimbo44
Even though i hated the movie regardless, much of the advertising for What Lies Beneath seemed to give away major plot twists so that if you were paying any sort of attention you knew the entire first hour was nothing but a red herring...
That's Robert Zemeckis' philosophy unfortunately. He believes in showing the audience almost every major plot point in his trailers so they know what they're getting. It's hard to argue since most of his films are blockbusters, but I hate that. I much prefer Spielberg's approach to movie advertising which usually leaves out any key moments from the third act of his flicks.

As far as the original subject of this thread is concerned, someone ruined Primal Fear for me. It was only about a year or so after the movie had come out, so it's not like the twist was known by everyone at that point.

I think it was in an It-Ain't-Cool-News talkback that someone spoiled the twist in Batman Begins regarding Liam Neeson's "connection" to Ra's Al Ghul. This was months before the movie even hit theaters. Although it did explain why the initial press release stated that Neeson was playing that character.

And speaking of press releases and Liam Neeson, when Fox announced in late 1998 that Star Wars Episode II would be shooting in Australia, they listed the cast members and Neeson was conspicuously absent. That pretty much gave away that Qui-Gon died in The Phantom Menace. It's rare that an official studio press release spoils its own movie.
Old 01-26-09, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can't remember any that were spoiled for me that I didn't knowingly try to find out, but I did spoil Fight Club for one of my friends on accident. He still reminds me of it to this day.
Old 01-26-09, 10:23 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Doughboy
And speaking of press releases and Liam Neeson, when Fox announced in late 1998 that Star Wars Episode II would be shooting in Australia, they listed the cast members and Neeson was conspicuously absent. That pretty much gave away that Qui-Gon died in The Phantom Menace. It's rare that an official studio press release spoils its own movie.
This was also given away by a track listing on the soundtrack.
Old 01-26-09, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Some smart-ass back in grade school (yes, I'm showing my age here) told me Darth Vader was Luke's father the day after THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK came out. From that point forward, I made sure to see movies I really, really wanted to see on opening night.
Old 01-26-09, 11:36 AM

The Sixth Sense

[Person comes up to me]: Have you seen TSS?
Me: Nope.
Person: Well...(then told me the big secret and laughed).

I saw TSS the next night and I thought it was lame because I already knew what was (supposedly) so amazing.
Old 01-26-09, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Some smart-ass back in grade school (yes, I'm showing my age here) told me Darth Vader was Luke's father the day after THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK came out. From that point forward, I made sure to see movies I really, really wanted to see on opening night.
I always wondered about that. I was lucky enough not to have known that going into the movie, but now that's such common knowledge that I doubt it's a surprise to anyone seeing the movie for the first time.
Old 01-26-09, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The ending of The Ring was spoiled by the fact that I saw Ringu beforehand. As was the ending of The Departed when I saw Infernal Affairs first.

do those still count?

Oh and both Quarantine and Pulse are spoiled in their respective trailers.
Old 01-26-09, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by CardiffGiant
The Sixth Sense

[Person comes up to me]: Have you seen TSS?
Me: Nope.
Person: Well...(then told me the big secret and laughed).

I saw TSS the next night and I thought it was lame because I already knew what was (supposedly) so amazing.
That sucks. It reminds of those douchebags that drove around shouting out the ending of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince while people were waiting to get the book. There's a video, but I can't be bothered to look for it now.
Old 01-26-09, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nobody specifically spoiled the ending of The Sixth Sense for me, but reading review after review that talked up "the most shocking!! surprise twist ending ever!" put me on guard while watching it. Knowing that the movie was about a boy who can see and talk to ghosts, and after seeing the scene that opens the movie in which Bruce Willis is shot, followed by a fade to black, I thought, "Oh, so he's a ghost."
Old 01-26-09, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My realtor/neighbor spoiled "The Boy in the Striped Pijamas" for me a couple of weeks ago. I asked her if it was good, and she answered with
Spoiler:
"Yeah, until the boy gets killed at the end."

Entertainment Weekly helped Robin Williams spoil the re-make of Insomnia for me a few years back. In an interview with Williams, he was eluding to how much respect he had for Al Pacino. Then he goes on to explain how his wife asked
Spoiler:
"Then why did you kill him?"
Old 01-26-09, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The local paper spoiled Eagle Eye for me in the first sentence of his review. Something along the lines of "You know a movie's not so good when
Spoiler:
the bad guy turns out to be a super AI computer gone rogue
. Thanks a lot jackass. Seriously. First sentence.
Old 01-26-09, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

repost
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...g-spoiled.html
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...nding-you.html

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.