Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"History Movie Night" - What do I show?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What movie would you pick for a "history movie night?"
Putney Swope
6.67%
The Naked Prey
6.67%
Secret Honor
3.33%
Coming Home
0%
Harlan County U.S.A.
6.67%
Downfall (Der Untergang)
50.00%
Nanook of the North
0%
The Mission
6.67%
Little Big Man
20.00%
Hombre
0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

"History Movie Night" - What do I show?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-09, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: "History Movie Night" - What do I show?

Kramer vs. Kramer
Old 01-26-09, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glory?
Old 01-26-09, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,268 Likes on 846 Posts

Zwick = too obvious
Old 01-26-09, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Doh!

Originally Posted by flixtime
While not an option in your poll, I'd like to suggest Melville's Army of Shadows?
An excellent suggestion.
Old 01-26-09, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Glory?
I thought of that too . . . might be too mainstream for what he's looking for.

Also just thought of that fact that Downfall might turn some people off because it's subtitled (which is a shame, but reality) . . . just a thought.

What about some of the other big civil war movies? Gods & Generals? Gettysburg? Or . . . one of my favorites . . . Andersonville? Andersonville could be a good lead in to discussion of the issues around Guantanamo. Of course, those are all longer films and can be pretty graphic (not sure if there any restrictions on that).
Old 01-26-09, 03:55 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 589 Likes on 337 Posts

Gods and Generals, while based on a very good book, sucked ass. Gettysburg is great (and fairly historically accurate), but long.
Old 01-26-09, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Glory
Old 01-27-09, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by B.A.
Rosewood

IIRC, my History of Black America prof. was a huge fan and I was one of the few people in the class to have seen it before he mentioned it one day.
someone else actually showed that one last year....good one though.

i'm down between Downfall, Naked Prey, and a 3rd I forgot all about: Punishment Park. I figure with all the Guantanamo talk going on that might be an interesting one...and it's certainly something none of them will have seen.

Good to see so many fans of Downfall...i saw it in the theater and was absolutely blown away...it really is stunning.
Old 01-27-09, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by eXcentris
From that list I'd pick "Downfall". It's a great film, highly entertaining, and it's not mired in simplistic notions of good vs evil.

Other suggestions:

Sacco e Vanzetti Magnificent rendition of the people, circumstances and atmosphere surrounding the infamous "Palmer Raids" in the US in 1919-1921. Saddly, I don't think there's an R1 DVD.

The Battle of Algiers The best cinematic depiction of revolt against colonial rule. Brilliant film.

Paradise Now Considering how black and white people's views on the Israeli/Palestinian conflict are, this film, devoid of preaching and political rhetoric is a must-see and reminds us that this isn't CNN and that there are actually people involved. It will certainly raise questions and promote debate.

Stalingrad You might begin watching this film firmly committed to cheering the Russians and hating the Germans but by the end, you might cry for them all.

Reds Great film which provides good discussion material but probably too long for most audiences.

Plenty more, but that's just off the top of my head.
some awesome suggestions...especially whoever else said Army of Shadows...I LOVE Melville...i need to figure out how to buy the newer releases from Criterion of his.

Reds is great...but too long...same with Stalingrad. I'm trying to avoid subtitles just because these are college kids who I need to get in the seats...Downfall might work simply because it's hitler - and it's absolutely riveting from start to finish. plus they've probably all see the stupid youtube videos of the one scene with various subtitles added to make it sound like he's talking about football, or star wars, or whatever

Glory is too Zwick again...want to avoid that kind of melodrama stuff that is used so often in lazy classes anyway. the idea for me is to make them think and confront something they wouldn't otherwise confront. That's why I like the idea of Punishment Park or Naked Prey - as well as Downfall.
Old 01-27-09, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Bandoman
Gods and Generals, while based on a very good book, sucked ass. Gettysburg is great (and fairly historically accurate), but long.
Oh, what do you know?

Old 01-27-09, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brizz
Glory is too Zwick again...want to avoid that kind of melodrama stuff that is used so often in lazy classes anyway. the idea for me is to make them think and confront something they wouldn't otherwise confront. That's why I like the idea of Punishment Park or Naked Prey - as well as Downfall.
Punishment Park is freakin' amazing. It deals with college students too. I change my vote to that.
Old 01-27-09, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No option for Forest Gump?
Old 04-15-09, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So I went with Punishment Park and it was pretty interesting. About 70 of them showed up - a record attendance for these. I had my students write a short response to it and they are filled with "I was shocked"; "I've never seen anything like it"; "this made me very emotional"; etc etc etc....in other words it made a hell of an impression on them. A lot of them thought it was real until after when I explained it wasn't...and you could see the relief wash over their faces

It was one of those times that I am glad I get to do what I do. Showing a bunch of college freshman Punishment Park introduced them to something they never would have otherwise seen and actually made them stop and think for a few minutes...something that's getting harder and harder to do these days. They made a lot of connections to the present day without me even prompting them to. Very cool.
Old 04-16-09, 08:06 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 589 Likes on 337 Posts

That sounds fascinating. Just added to my netflix queue.
Old 04-16-09, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

That's a really interesting list on your poll. The only one I have never seen is DOWNFALL. I picked LITTLE BIG MAN as the one to show because I think the kids should see a western, even if it "deconstructs" the western. Also, it covers a lot of territory seen in other movies about Custer, Indians, Wild Bill Hickock, Wyatt Earp, etc. and it would be interesting to compare LBM with those other films. Also, the book by Thomas Berger would be interesting to the students. I read it in high school and saw the film then, too, and even did a presentation on the book in class.

I've never seen PUNISHMENT PARK.