Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Tom & Jerry (2021) - News, Rumors, Casting, etc

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Tom & Jerry (2021) - News, Rumors, Casting, etc

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-21, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts
Re: Tom & Jerry (2021) - News, Rumors, Casting, etc

This seemed like the movie that would come out in the 90's and early 2000's where they adapted every TV to a movie.

I admit that Indian girl was hot.
Spoiler:

Old 02-28-21, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

It was what I was expecting. I took my daughter to the drive in and she liked it, which was all I was hoping for. It was quality time hanging with my youngest. I haven't really had the chance to do any one on one outings with her in a long time.

My kids are familiar with Tom and Jerry from DVD's that were given to them when they were very young. They like the characters.

My daughter did at one point say "Where are Tom and Jerry?" Which is probably what we were all thinking, but I didn't dwell on it to ruin it for her, and she quickly forgot about it.
Old 03-01-21, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I feel like I'll have to watch this once out of duty to T&J, but I'm not hopeful for it to be good.
Old 03-01-21, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

I watched it and enjoyed it for what it was. Maybe my expectations were sufficiently low. Maybe I just liked getting to watch a new theatrical movie for "free" on HBO Max.

I probably watched a ton of T&J as a kid, but don't really consider myself a huge fan. It might have been nicer to get more of them and less of actual people. The animation combined with the real world was pretty well done.
Old 03-01-21, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
That's what I was thinking when I first heard this movie was being made. Do today's kids even know who Tom and Jerry are? If you have Boomerang, they show them quite a bit, if not, I don't see the purpose of making a film with characters who most likely don't show up on today's kids radar.
My kids played one of the games but I admit I don’t know T&J very well and sometimes run them together with Sylvester & Tweety or other such combos.
Old 03-01-21, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
That's what I was thinking when I first heard this movie was being made. Do today's kids even know who Tom and Jerry are? If you have Boomerang, they show them quite a bit, if not, I don't see the purpose of making a film with characters who most likely don't show up on today's kids radar.
I would think that's the point of such movies, to get the characters back on kids' radars. I mean stuff like Garfield, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Smurfs, Yogi Bear, Underdog, Inspector Gadget, Mr. Peabody and Simon... none of these really struck while the iron was hot with the properties, but some led to other shows/merchandising opportunities.
Old 03-01-21, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

We watch classic T&J with my kid and then there’s all those direct to video movies they’ve done for years now, so I think the characters are known well enough by most folks. But things like this film are meant to be for both the old school fans and the younger set. I just wish they would make them actually good.