Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Cabin In The Woods (Dir. Goddard, 2010, Jenkins, Whitford)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Cabin In The Woods (Dir. Goddard, 2010, Jenkins, Whitford)

Old 04-12-12, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Cabin In The Woods (Dir. Goddard, 2010, Jenkins, Whitford)

I would love if someone who has seen this will completely spoilerize it for me. I never go see horror movies myself, but I think the genre is interesting and would love to know what makes this one so groundbreaking.
Old 04-12-12, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,036 Likes on 820 Posts

^ That's what Wikipedia is for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabin_in_the_woods
Old 04-12-12, 03:00 PM

That summary is actually awfully written and gets some of the facts wrongs, but gives a big picture of what the movie was about.
Old 04-12-12, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
^ That's what Wikipedia is for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabin_in_the_woods

I never think of Wikipedia when it comes to movie spoilers!

That's one imaginative screenplay!
Old 04-12-12, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iggystar
I never think of Wikipedia when it comes to movie spoilers!

That's one imaginative screenplay!
I always go to Wikipedia and read what happens at the end of movies that I don't really care about. Like if I'm just watching a movie before bed or something and am interested enough to know what happens at the end but not interested enough to either stay up or rent it or something the next day.

Let's just say some articles are very well written and explain plot points well and others...not so much.
Old 04-12-12, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks, Wikipedia actually didn't have any details when I asked a couple days ago. Someone must of added it recently.
Old 04-13-12, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts

The film was phenomenal.
Old 04-13-12, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I like the idea to a degree but at what point do things become just absurd?
Old 04-13-12, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I like the idea to a degree but at what point do things become just absurd?
The third act is when Goddard and Whedon just take the film into ludicrous speed.

The whole film has a level of absurdity to it, but the third act is when they just lay it all out on the table.
Old 04-13-12, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
The third act is when Goddard and Whedon just take the film into ludicrous speed.

The whole film has a level of absurdity to it, but the third act is when they just lay it all out on the table.
This is where horror loses its effectiveness. Once it gets into the realm of absurdity then the fear factor subsides.
Old 04-13-12, 02:06 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 950 Likes on 795 Posts

This is where horror loses its effectiveness. Once it gets into the realm of absurdity then the fear factor subsides.
yeah, but at least the end was different. up to that point the whole woods scenes was pretty standard, by-the-book fare as it was supposed to be.
Old 04-13-12, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

However, Goddard and Whedon aren't making a horror film. It's more self-referential than anything else. It's just as much of a horror film as it is a comedy or science-fiction.
Old 04-13-12, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
However, Goddard and Whedon aren't making a horror film. It's more self-referential than anything else. It's just as much of a horror film as it is a comedy or science-fiction.
When I came to that conclussion, I appreciated the movie a lot more. It's in the same vein as Diary of Leslie Vernon or Severance (and Buffy for that matter). A movie with horror elements, but definitely not a "horror" movie.
Old 04-13-12, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 162 Posts

Saw it. Fucking loved it. Won't go into much detail as just about anything would be a spoiler. This was definitely more Whedon's baby than anything else, and it shows. Do what everyone else says, avoid reading anything about it before going into the theater. A clean slate works best. However, I have come to the conclusion that Amy Acker must be made my girlfriend. Any tips on how to land her without going to L.A. or any real effort on my part would be appreciated!

I completely lost it when it showed
Spoiler:
the two guys in charge dancing.
Franz Kanz/Topher completely stole the show, as he should. Also loved the
Spoiler:
Sigourney Weaver cameo. I figured Whedon had always been looking for a way to get her into one of his productions (Alien:Resurrection doesn't count).
Anyone else think that at the end Dana would
Spoiler:
transform into a werewolf and save the world in a fucked up manner? Also, the evil god hand at the end looked a lot like Kronos from Wrath of the Titans.
Old 04-17-12, 04:51 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,204 Likes on 853 Posts

I'm going to see this tonight. Kind of excited. My wife saw it and thought it was decent. Her friend, who typically likes bad horror movies (ie: all the mainstream PG-13 fare from the last 5 years), absolutely hated it.

update: Loved it.
Spoiler:
The final bloodbath was just amazing in so many ways. I think the elevator dinged 3 times? So awesome... I can't wait to buy it on Blu-ray.

Last edited by Dan; 04-18-12 at 08:10 AM.
Old 04-15-15, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

This seemed like as good a place as any for this story, without starting a new thread:

From The Hollywood Reporter:

With just weeks until his box-office victory lap for Avengers: Age of Ultron, Joss Whedon is now facing a lawsuit accusing him of stealing the idea for the 2012 meta-horror movie The Cabin in the Woods.

Whedon produced and co-wrote the script for Cabin with director Drew Goddard, a writer on Whedon's Buffy the Vampire Slayer and a fanboy favorite in his own right, with credits that include Netflix's Daredevil (and reportedly may soon include Sony's upcoming Spider-Man projects). Whedon and Goddard are named as defendants, along with Lionsgate and Whedon's Mutant Enemy production company, in the complaint filed Monday in California federal court.

In the complaint, Peter Gallagher (no, not that Peter Gallagher) claims Whedon and Goddard took the idea for The Cabin in the Woods from his 2006 novel The Little White Trip: A Night In the Pines. He's suing for copyright infringement and wants $10 million in damages.

Gallagher is basing his claim on the works' similar premises: Both feature a group of young people terrorized by monsters while staying at a cabin in what is revealed to be (spoiler alert) a horror-film scenario designed by mysterious operators.

Gallagher also alleges similarities between the characters' names and personalities — his book's blond Julie and shy Dura and the film's Jules (Anna Hutchison) and Dana (Kristen Connolly), and handsome and scatterbrained men in both works — and certain scenes involving the characters finding strange items in their respective cabins and discovering hidden cameras.

In the complaint, Gallagher describes how he self-published the novel and “began grassroots efforts” to sell it on the Venice Beach boardwalk and on Santa Monica’s Third Street Promenade. "[The defendants] currently reside and operate out of Santa Monica, California, a short distance from where the Book was sold," the lawsuit claims.

Gallagher alleges that he "was contacted by multiple credited entertainment industry producers who expressed interest in the Book," but he doesn't specify Lionsgate or Mutant Enemy.

A Lionsgate spokesman declined to comment. The Hollywood Reporter has reached out to representatives for Whedon and Goddard.
Old 04-15-15, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 382 Likes on 271 Posts

Shut up. It's fiction. It's movies. You can take ANY movie and match it to a book from the last hundred years.
Old 04-15-15, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 655 Likes on 453 Posts

From a review of the book:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R3KJXQV...55&store=books
Having read the legal complaint, and not having seen the film, I don't think I buy it. Certainly, Hollywood loves to steal ideas but it feels like the similarities are just too "common" to hold much weight, and rely heavily on tropes--the blonde lead! The strong, sensitive dude! The weird one! An abandoned building in an eerie setting! Someone breaks out the booze!
Old 04-15-15, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 652 Likes on 502 Posts

Did this movie even make enough money to be worth suing over?
Old 04-15-15, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 655 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Did this movie even make enough money to be worth suing over?
Considering the author was selling his book by standing on sidewalks, the movie probably made more money than the book ever did.

A quote from the complaint:
On May 11, 2005, PLAINTIFF had an original unedited manuscript bound and notarized
This seems to be a variation of "poor man's copyright," and doesn't actually have any legal effect in the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poor_man's_copyright
There is no provision in US copyright law regarding any such type of protection. Poor man's copyright is therefore not a substitute for registration. According to section 408 of the U.S. Copyright Act of 1976, registration of a work with the Copyright Office is not a prerequisite for copyright protection.