Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Your Worst of 2008 List

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Your Worst of 2008 List

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-09, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Your Worst of 2008 List

Only saw a best of list. So I'd like to know what everything thinks the worst of 2008 are. Me?

1) "Mamma Mia!" - Words cannot describe how horrible this film is, on every level. And equally shocking is how much money it made.

2) "The Happening" - It's official, M. Night should not ever be allowed to step behind the camera again. Unsupervised.

3) "One Missed Call" - Best comedy of the year.

4) "Day of the Dead" - Second runner up.

5) "Shutter" - Third runner up. None not even remotely scary.

6) "What Happens in Vegas" - Crickets.

7) "Bonneville" - With so many great actresses in one film, you'd think could be a decent rental at best. No. It was nauseating.

8) "Semi-Pro" - Quite possibly Ferrell's worst.

9) "Run Fatboy Run" - It better be official. David Schwimmer should never be allowed on any movie or TV set again. Behind or in front of a camera.

10) "Gran Torino" - I know I'm in the minority here. But I hated every minute of this film. So poorly directed, written and acted. I know there were worse movies out there. But because it's from Eastwood, who I like, it must make my list.
Old 01-19-09, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Your Worst of 2008 List

We have a few in common!

1. The Happening
2. Hell Ride
3. Diary of the Dead
4. 10,000 BC
5. Semi-Pro
6. Star Wars: The Clone Wars
7. Mamma Mia!
8. Gran Torino
9. Indiana Jones IV
10. Harold & Kumar Escape Guantanamo Bay
11. Get Smart's Bruce and Lloyd Out of Control
12. Jumper
13. Run Fat Boy Run
14. War, Inc.
15. Smart People
16. Drillbit Taylor
17. Charlie Bartlett
18. Untraceable
19. Leatherheads
20. Max Payne

Last edited by Aegean2007; 01-20-09 at 12:13 AM.
Old 01-19-09, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I didn't see a lot of the ones that you knew for sure were going to really bad, 10,000 B.C., Disaster Movie, Meet the Spartans, Love Guru etc. Of what I did see this year; these stood out of the worst of the lot.

You Don't Mess With the Zohan
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
One Missed Call
The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor
Get Smart
Jumper
Fool's Gold

Last edited by Jam Master Jay; 01-19-09 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-19-09, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Step Brother, what a terrible movie.
Old 01-19-09, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm sure there were worse films than some of these but these are ones I seen for some reason,mostly due to horrible taste from friends/family....

Mamma Mia!
Return to Sleepaway Camp
Meet the Spartans
Fool's Gold
The Happening
What Happens in Vegas

More to be added soon

Last edited by Torchur317; 01-19-09 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-19-09, 05:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull for me also. Though I didn't see that many films last year.
Old 01-19-09, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
Step Brother, what a terrible movie.
Step Brothers was absolute garbage.

You Don't Mess With the Zohan was quite shitty.

Those were the only two movies I hated in 2008. I avoid most of the shit that looks like... shit.
Old 01-19-09, 06:03 PM

I loved Step Brothers,It was hilarious....
Old 01-19-09, 06:05 PM

I don't tend to go out of my way to see something that I expect to be bad, so I haven't seen the more obvious ones (and don't intend to). Of what I did see:

My Blueberry Nights
Flashpoint
Benjamin Button
Speed Racer
Indiana Jones
War, Inc.
Tropic Thunder
Old 01-19-09, 06:05 PM
Banned

1. The Love Guru (D-)
2. Cloverfield (D+)
3. Mamma Mia (C-)
4. Jumper (C-)
5. Mirrors (C-)
6. Surfer, dude (C-)
7. Untraceable (C-)
8. Semi-Pro (C)
9. Quantum Of Solace (C)
10. War, Inc. (C)
Old 01-19-09, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd have to say that the worst as 10,000 B.C., for so many reasons:

1) it could have been f*cking awesome
2) All of the characters speak English and like they're the cave people from Battlefield: Earth.
3) There are pyramids...honest to god, pyramids!
4) Every "warrior" movie cliche imaginable.
5) You'd think 109 minutes isn't all that long, but if I didn't know the running time before I watched it, I'd say this movie was 3 hours long.
6) BO-ring.
7) Despite plenty of sequences with mammoths and tigers, this movie was strangely unexciting.
8) The narration was hilarious.

Awful, awful movie.
Old 01-19-09, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I try to avoid crap I know I'll hate like "Meet the Spartans". So those will never appear on my list. Here's some movies in no partiuclar order:

1. Harold and Kumar 2

the rest....

Step Brothers
The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor
Street Kings
Jumper
Vantage Point
Shutter
Old 01-19-09, 07:05 PM
Banned

Here are my Worst Films of 2008

5) Nights in Rodanthe

In one part of Nights in Rodanthe Richard Gere’s character, Dr. Paul Flanner tells Adrienne (played by Diane Lane) that the hardest thing he has ever had to do was say goodbye to her. This is only days after they have met and even less time since he had to tell his patient’s family why their father and husband died in his hands at the operating table. Yeah, I’m sure saying goodbye was horribly difficult for you. Then we are led to believe, by a montage of disturbingly sexual letters, that the two have completely fallen in love since they departed. Many people will say this is standard fare for a one-note romantic flick, but I’ve seen it done well in Nicholas Sparks’ other movie adaptation, The Notebook. As the movie ended and I could hear tears hit the floor of every woman around me and the groans of the few other men dragged along I wondered how I managed to sit through this atrocity.

4) Jumper

This movie really could have been good. Doug Liman directed such outstanding movies as Bourne Identity, Go, Swingers, and even Mr. and Mrs. Smith; which was enjoyable. The premise is awesome: a person can teleport wherever he wants. Except that person is Hayden Christensen, and he can’t act. His relationship with Rachel Bilson’s character is just annoying and the action leaves much more to be desired. There is zero story, it’s just a bunch of consecutive scenes that the director thought would look cool. The worst part is there is supposed to be a sequel.

3) Righteous Kill

Robert DeNiro and Al Pacino are together again. This is first time since their small stint in Heat and starring, but not seen together, in The Godfather Part II. Sounds like a good idea, right? Well no one told the actors that they haven’t made a good movie in the last couple years, or that the director had another atrocious movie this year, 88 Minutes. Directed by Jon Avnet and released in April, it would be on my list if I could muster up the patience to finish the last 30 minutes. Fortunately, I don’t see that happening. The worst part of the movie is that DeNiro and Pacino have just devolved into playing caricatures of their former personas. Scene after scene (and yes they are in virtually EVERY scene together) they act exactly as one would expect them to act. The film does entertain in a couple of scenes, but with a script so cliché and directing so bland it can’t last for all 100 painful minutes.

2) Max Payne

The videogame this film is based on is all sorts of wonderful, and mainly because of the story. Somehow this film managed to botch it, taking out the best elements and adding in some of the worst. Director John Moore tried to push every scene to the maximum amount of grittiness possible and it comes off cheesy and laughable. PG-13 as well? Come on. At least it wasn’t Mark Wahlberg’s worst movie of the year.

1) The Happening

“Be scientific, douchebag” - Just check out the youtube video here to see why.
Old 01-19-09, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by JPRaup
3) Righteous Kill
Old 01-19-09, 08:15 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Love Guru and The Happening.
Old 01-19-09, 09:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Torchur317

You liked it? or are you agreeing with me?
Old 01-19-09, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You liked it? or are you agreeing with me?

Well I agree with you. It didn't make my Top 10 but it was terrible. Also, I didn't see any of the "Disaster Movie" or "Meet the Spartans" type films. Why would I!? I know they are shit. My list is based the movies I paid to see and rented from Netflix.
Old 01-19-09, 09:13 PM

You liked it?
I didn't like it,I LOVED it....
It was my personal favorite of 2008 actually....
Old 01-19-09, 09:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Torchur317
I didn't like it,I LOVED it....
It was my personal favorite of 2008 actually....
WHAT

Did you watch any other films in 2008?
Old 01-19-09, 09:18 PM

whats with the hate for gran torino? i thought it was brilliant, not to mention bad ass
Old 01-19-09, 09:20 PM

WHAT
Did you watch any other films in 2008?
Yeah I seen plenty this year & it's still my favorite....
Old 01-19-09, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jmu878
whats with the hate for gran torino? i thought it was brilliant, not to mention bad ass

Brilliant!? Oh my. And I explained why I hated it.
Old 01-19-09, 11:19 PM

I like the fact that the lists here don't much go for _____ Movie or some direct-to-video film. I always go after the stuff that wanted to say something and failed.

1. The Happening- They. Run. From. Wind.

2. Fireproof- This was one of the first movies I reviewed for my school paper and I almost got thrown off it because it was so bad that it enraged me that audiences loved it, so I insulted them for loving a misogynistic, childish film. I wish they hadn't printed the thing, but I stand by my opinions of the movie and anyone who uplifted by it.

3. Babylon A.D.- Do you like cyberpunk? Fuck yeah you do. How about every cyberpunk movie ever made crammed together in a nonsensical plot with Vin Diesel at the helm? Ask your usher for your complimentary cyanide pill.

4. An American Carol- At one point I laughed at the film because it made its target audience look so much worse than liberals. But the shit about college kids somehow being not smarter than dropouts because the liberal teachers filled their minds with pussies and cocks or some shit and the comparisons of liberals to Nazi appeasers and those responisble for 9/11 was just rank.

5. College- Superbad, without the funny. Take Jonah Hill and Michael Cera (probably the two funniest young actors working) and replace them with a fat Dane Cook and that douchebag who was apart of that wave of All That kids who ruined Nickelodeon. Doesn't know if it wants to play up the partying of college or condemn in some shitty tacked on lesson at the end.

6. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull- Truly not an entertaining moment in the film. I was crushed.

7. Speed Racer- You know those little toys you get with all the little lights in a ball attached to a stick that twirls around real fast and lights up? Imagine being hit in the eyeballs with it for 2 hours. Also, introducing an anti-capitalist message into a children's franchise film was lulz-worthy.

8. Twilight- I should just let this one go, but honestly, it made the books seem like high art. Catherine Hardwicke? Seriously? Did they just not see her other films before they gave her this? The acting wasn't too terrible but they had to work with Rosenberg's laughable script and deal with all the bad CG. I was just a 2 hour prolonged stalker gaze.

9. Australia- Had the movie ended after the cattle were delivered, I might have liked this. Not loved it, but maybe found a Luhrmann movie that didn't suck. But I misunderestimated my flamboyant foe, who decided to turn this Oz fairy tale into Serious Business: The Movie in the last third for no god damn reason other than to get an Oscar. Well it bombed. Suck the failure you fucking hack.

10. The Other Boleyn Girl- Horrible acting across the board, ridiculous lines, uninteresting...anything, and just general unpleasantness. I'm a Portman fan but this was her worst acting since the prequels, and Scarlett was just there. Such a turgid piece of crap.

Dishonorable mentions:

Wanted
88 Minutes/Righteous Kill (both inexcusably shitty not just for content but for squandering talent)
Postal
Star Wars: The Clone Wars (I left this off because it simply isn't a movie; it's an ad for a TV show)
Max Payne

Didn't see Love Guru, so take the list with a grain of salt.

. Be Kind Rewind- I can't believe this happened.
Old 01-19-09, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Four Christmases-
just abysmal. I want my 2 hours back.

Ghost Town-
Boring. Boring. And horribly written.

Indiana Jones-
Not horrible, kind of entertaining, but a Spielberg film should be held to a higher standard.

The Dark Knight-
Some great acting by supporting characters (Ledger, Oldman, Eckart, Freeman), but I think Bale is terrible as Batman/Bruce Wayne. The film is also dull as hell to look at and the plot is so convoluted and full of holes it makes the first Mission Impossible seem clear by comparison. Nolan has managed to take an exciting property like Batman and make it play like a crappy entry in the James Bond series. I'm still in awe at the adulation this movie is getting. Really mediocre.

Like a poster above said, I tend to avoid movies I know I'll hate so I really only have seen very few of the theatrical releases this year. The above were the disappointments that come to mind.

I almost added Benjamin Button, but there was enough good in it to slip by.
Old 01-19-09, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Man did I see some shit this year...most thanks to managing a Blockbuster for the 1st half of the year, the other for taking advantage of their online rental service. Point is, I didn't pay for most of these shitfests yet I still feel ripped off.

The Happening - I still laugh when I remember Marky Mark's facial looks throughout the movie. "What is going on here?" WHAT WERE THEY THINKING???

Max Payne - Seriously, how can you fuck up Max Payne?

Star Wars: The Clone Wars - This is coming from someone who LIKED the prequels.

88 Minutes - Ugh.

Righteous Kill - If it wasn't for DeNiro/Pacino, this would have been DTV garbage.

The Love Guru - Psst...Mike Myers, you're not funny!

Be Kind Rewind - Cute & harmless I guess, but couldn't believe this crap made it to theaters

Untraceable - Haven't we had enough of these websites designed to kill or torture? Hollywood can't seem to get it right.

One Missed Call - Seriously, are they EVER going to run out of these remakes?

Diary of the Dead - Oh George, you are a clever one, but if you need to get your point across, right a book, and keep it out of a zombie movie.

21 - Being a fan of the book, and a gambling junkie, I just couldn't believe how badly they botched the story, and tacked on a hollywood twist ending.

Step Up 2: The Streets - After seeing the trailer, I just had to see how bad it was.

Semi-Pro - Will Ferrell is not funny.

Pineapple Express - I simply can not find any humor in his movies. Is it just me?

Step Brothers - Will Ferrell is not funny x2

10,000 B.C. - Sadly, some people probably take the events of this movie as truth. Yes, even the fact that they spoke english back then.

Son of Sam - Made with a budget of $50.

Shutter - See "One Missed Call"

Sadly there are plenty more. Most I tried my hardest to forget about. Thanks to this thread I remembered most of them

The Dark Knight-
Some great acting by supporting characters (Ledger, Oldman, Eckart, Freeman), but I think Bale is terrible as Batman/Bruce Wayne. The film is also dull as hell to look at and the plot is so convoluted and full of holes it makes the first Mission Impossible seem clear by comparison. Nolan has managed to take an exciting property like Batman and make it play like a crappy entry in the James Bond series. I'm still in awe at the adulation this movie is getting. Really mediocre.
While The Dark Knight is considered overall to be a good movie by me, I also don't see all the hype around it. You are also correct about the plot holes.

Last edited by DeanoBKN; 01-19-09 at 11:48 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.