Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jack Goes Boating (Directed by and Starring Philip Seymour Hoffman, Amy Ryan)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-16-09, 11:53 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

News Story

According to Variety, Philip Seymour Hoffman is set to direct and star in Jack Goes Boating with Amy Ryan. Hoffman will play Jack, a stoner limo driver, and the story will center around his quest for perfection, as well as the fellow pothead he falls in love with (Ryan). A New York Times review of the play called it “immensely likable.” The film will begin shooting in New York City on February 9th.

This looks like it could be really good. Really excited to see Hoffman's directorial debut. What do you guys think?

Last edited by JPRaup; 01-16-09 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-16-09, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Jack Goes Boating (Directed by and Starring Philip Seymour Hoffman, Amy Ryan)

i will see anything with Hoffman or anything he is attached to. i caught Twister on TV last week and I forgot how good he was in that POS.
Old 01-16-09, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Jack Goes Boating (Directed by and Starring Philip Seymour Hoffman, Amy Ryan)

Originally Posted by sospacey
i will see anything with hoffman or anything he is attached to. I caught twister on tv last week and i forgot how good he was in that pos.
"the suck zone!"
Old 01-16-09, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here. PSH guarantees my interest. I've been a fan since a friend of mine told me I had to watch that movie Boogie Nights freshman year of high school. Best night ever.
Old 01-16-09, 12:50 PM
Banned

PSH always picks interesting projects. I'll be there.
Old 01-16-09, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will Celine and Julie be along for the trip?
Old 01-16-09, 04:49 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

They were both in Before the Devil Knows You're Dead but they barely had any dialogue together.
Old 01-16-09, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting pair. Will be very excited to see what kind of chemistry the build.
Old 07-24-10, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Saw the trailer for this tonight before The Kids Are All Right. It's been on Youtube for a couple of weeks now:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qy2LHwzPtno&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qy2LHwzPtno&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 01-07-15, 01:15 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Just finished watching Jack Goes Boating for the first time. Excellent little indy film, with a poignant story & fantastic, understated performances. Both sad & funny, this is a great movie to watch during the cold winter days, as you're waiting for the Spring/Summer to get here...

PSH played a great role as the sad sack-ish schlub Jack who was trying to impress Connie (AR)
Spoiler:
by learning how to cook (even though he had never cooked) & also learning how to swim (so he could take her boating in the summer). I thought it was funny how he rarely took off his woolen cap during the winter, even when he was indoors..
.I got the impression that PSH was playing himself in some ways...

One of my favorite scenes was when
Spoiler:
Jack accidentally burned the food for the big dinner party that he had worked so hard for, then went off in front of this friends....it was nice to see his friends calm him down, even though they were all obviously upset as well....

Spoiler:
It was quite sad to see the deterioration of Clyde & Lucy's relationship, while at the same time seeing the beginning of Jack & Connie's....

AR was great in this role; though everyone probably most remembers her in her comedic role opposite S. Carell in The Office, I also really liked her in a couple of dramas, i.e. Gone Baby Gone, as well as a small but important role in The Changeling (Clint Eastwood)....
Old 01-07-15, 02:24 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I honestly saw the title and thought, "how many fucking movies does he have left that have yet to release?!"

I think I remember this one know. Never saw it though.