DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Best Fake President? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/547967-best-fake-president.html)

Jericho 01-15-09 07:52 PM

Best Fake President?

With a new President about to take office, I'm curious as to what people thought were some of the best fake presidents out there. The characters you wish actually were President. Doesn't mean you have to take them over Obama, just as a President in general. And even though this is the movie forum, you can choose a TV prez is you like.

Michael Corvin 01-15-09 07:59 PM

Re: Best Fave President?

Tie:

President David Palmer(24) AND President James Marshall (Air Force One)

FinkPish 01-15-09 08:01 PM

Merkin Muffley from Strangelove.

The Cow 01-15-09 08:08 PM

President Skroob

http://content9.flixster.com/photo/5...152903_tml.jpg

Cardiac161 01-15-09 08:17 PM

Harrison Ford - Air Force One
Michael Douglas - The American President
Kevin Kline (as the fake president) - Dave

NoirFan 01-15-09 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by FinkPish (Post 9201648)
Merkin Muffley from Strangelove.

"Hello?... Uh... Hello D- uh hello Dmitri? Listen, uh, uh, I can't hear too well. Do you suppose you could turn the music down just a little?... Oh-ho, that's much better... yeah... huh... yes... Fine, I can hear you now, Dmitri... Clear and plain and coming through fine... I'm coming through fine, too, eh?... Good, then... well, then, as you say, we're both coming through fine... Good... Well, it's good that you're fine and... and I'm fine... I agree with you, it's great to be fine... a-ha-ha-ha-ha... Now then, Dmitri, you know how we've always talked about the possibility of something going wrong with the Bomb... The *Bomb*, Dmitri... The *hydrogen* bomb!... Well now, what happened is... ahm... one of our base commanders, he had a sort of... well, he went a little funny in the head... you know... just a little... funny. And, ah... he went and did a silly thing... Well, I'll tell you what he did. He ordered his planes... to attack your country... Ah... Well, let me finish, Dmitri... Let me finish, Dmitri... Well listen, how do you think I feel about it?... Can you *imagine* how I feel about it, Dmitri?... Why do you think I'm calling you? Just to say hello?... *Of course* I like to speak to you!... *Of course* I like to say hello!... Not now, but anytime, Dmitri. I'm just calling up to tell you something terrible has happened... It's a *friendly* call. Of course it's a friendly call... Listen, if it wasn't friendly... you probably wouldn't have even got it... They will *not* reach their targets for at least another hour... I am... I am positive, Dmitri... Listen, I've been all over this with your ambassador. It is not a trick... Well, I'll tell you. We'd like to give your air staff a complete run-down on the targets, the flight plans, and the defensive systems of the planes... Yes! I mean i-i-i-if we're unable to recall the planes, then... I'd say that, ah... well, ah... we're just gonna have to help you destroy them, Dmitri... I know they're our boys... All right, well listen now. Who should we call?... *Who* should we call, Dmitri? The... wha-whe, the People... you, sorry, you faded away there... The People's Central Air Defense Headquarters... Where is that, Dmitri?... In Omsk... Right... Yes... Oh, you'll call them first, will you?... Uh-huh... Listen, do you happen to have the phone number on you, Dmitri?... Whe-ah, what? I see, just ask for Omsk information... Ah-ah-eh-uhm-hm... I'm sorry, too, Dmitri... I'm very sorry... *All right*, you're sorrier than I am, but I am as sorry as well... I am as sorry as you are, Dmitri! Don't say that you're more sorry than I am, because I'm capable of being just as sorry as you are... So we're both sorry, all right?... All right."

Ronnie Dobbs 01-15-09 08:34 PM

Mays Gilliam - Head of State

The Bus 01-15-09 08:59 PM

President David Palmer.

Not only was he brave, he taught me about the swoop and squat.

Rammsteinfan 01-15-09 09:02 PM

Donald Pleasence in Escape from NY.

Ayy!! Number Onnee! You're the Duke! You're the Duke!

Cardsfan111 01-15-09 09:02 PM

If we choose a fake President, are we forced to take the corresponding VP as well? That might make a difference in the choice. ;)

wd40cloud 01-15-09 09:34 PM

David Palmer

Nick Martin 01-15-09 09:35 PM

ID4 President Whitmore....his VP died when the aliens destroyed NORAD (so no worries about that choice) and he did lead troops into battle. Plus I love that film anyway. :)

CertifiedTHX 01-16-09 12:44 AM

Re: Best Fake President?

Definitely between Andrew Shepherd and Josiah Bartlett. Both come across highly intelligent, very likable, and fully in command.

--THX

Torchur317 01-16-09 01:17 AM

President David Palmer

Rypro 525 01-16-09 01:44 AM

What no love for VP/President Daniels? Although i was disapointed he didn't get to call anyone a san fransisco cock sucker

Navinabob 01-16-09 01:50 AM

Does the president from The Fifth Element count? He fought Hulk Hogan a few times... that earns him points in my book.

SethDLH 01-16-09 02:07 AM

For some reason Morgan Freeman in Deep Impact always had me feeling comfortable about an imminent meteor about to destroy most of Earth...

hasslein 01-16-09 03:41 AM

William Windom - Escape From The Planet of the Apes

Gene Hackman - Absolute Power

E. Honda 01-16-09 05:00 AM

President Arnold Schwarzenegger in "Demolition Man".

badlieut 01-16-09 08:09 AM

President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho in Idiocracy.

DonnachaOne 01-16-09 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by E. Honda (Post 9202242)
President Arnold Schwarzenegger in "Demolition Man".

I fail to see how anyone could still support his administration after the events of The Simpsons Movie.

SkipKassidy 01-16-09 08:21 AM

President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho in Idiocracy.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2157/...64013e.jpg?v=0

I concur.

Goat3001 01-16-09 08:22 AM

For TV it's David Palmer. The most moral president since Abe Lincoln.

For movies it's gotta be Jack Nicholson from [/b]Mars Attacks![/b].

"The people need to know that they still have 2 out of 3 branches of government working for them... and that ain't bad."

matome 01-16-09 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 9201636)
Tie:

President David Palmer(24) AND President James Marshall (Air Force One)

I was thinking the exact same thing

Maxflier 01-16-09 08:39 AM

Harrison Ford - Air Force One.