Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

20,00 Leagues Under the Sea (Disney) - News, Rumors, Cast, etc.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

20,00 Leagues Under the Sea (Disney) - News, Rumors, Cast, etc.

Old 10-21-12, 10:25 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: 20,00 Leagues Under the Sea (Disney) - News, Rumors, Cast, etc.

Fuck. I forgot about him. Guy is a solid actor for sure. Yes. Get him.
Old 02-15-13, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a little bit of news on the remake from Screen Rant:

THR is reporting that Disney executives and Australian federal arts minister Simon Crean are finalizing a deal that allows 20,000 Leagues to shoot for cheaper in the country (thanks to a rebate worth $19.2 million), before the studio officially green-lights production. Several publications based Down Under are reporting that Pitt is starring, but THR‘s source are claiming that’s (currently) not accurate.

Between Fincher planning to use 3D cameras on the project and estimates that the re-imagining of Jules Verne’s fantastical adventure novel will be 70% CGI, this is going to be a pretty expensive flick (maybe in the vicinity of $150-200 million). It requires more sound stage work and manpower that director James Mangold’s X-Men installment The Wolverine, which filmed last year at the Village Roadshaw Studios in Queensland (where location scouts are considering for 20,000 Leagues). Hence, Disney is keen to address budget concerns ahead of production, following on the heels of last year’s John Carter and this summer’s The Lone Ranger; both cost the studio a pretty penny more than desired.
Old 07-18-13, 06:19 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's dead.

With two major blockbuster flops in two years (“John Carter,” “The Lone Ranger”), the conventional wisdom follows that Disney is probably not green-lighting any major, untested would-be franchises anytime soon (even the the trio behind “The Pirates of The Caribbean” films, Bruckheimer, Depp and Verbinski proved nothing’s a sure thing). And so eyes immediately turned to David Fincher’s ambitious $200 million-plus, 3D tentpole adaptation of “20,000 Leagues Under The Sea.” Given the recent announcement that Fincher would be directing the thriller “Gone Girl” with Ben Affleck this fall, we assumed the Jules Verne project had been scrapped, for the simple reason that Disney is not going to bankroll a potentially risky project.

However, after doing some digging, sources close to the project and the Fincher camp tell us “20,000 Leagues Under The Sea” has been dead, at least from the Fincher side of things, for months. That report in April about the film receiving its funding down under was apparently a desperate bid by the Aussie government to entice the filmmakers and producers into continuing with this project that would bring millions of dollars in jobs to their movie industry. But as “Gone Girl” suggests, Fincher has moved on and had done so months ago. Not that he didn’t try to make 'Leagues' happen.
Old 07-18-13, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe Asylum should produce 20,000 Leagues Under the Ocean, starring Dean Cain. They could do it for about a million bucks.
Old 07-18-13, 09:47 AM
Banned

I would have loved to see Fincher's take on it. I hated the older movie as a kid, don't know if I'd like it now.
Old 08-18-14, 02:24 PM

Received 4,692 Likes on 3,179 Posts

Disney is eyeing a production date of early 2015 for its long-in-development retelling of Jules Verne’s classic 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, with the studio asking the Australian government to increase its incentives to secure what is being mooted as the biggest budget feature to shoot in Australia.

Disney had an agreement with the then Labor government announced by then Prime Minister Julia Gillard nearly 18 months ago under which it would have received a $21.6 million location incentive to shoot the big budget feature down under. That was just under a $25 million grant that 20th Century Fox received to make The Wolverine here in 2012. That film, according to politicians, created over 1,750 jobs, used more than 1,000 Australian companies and generated $80 million of investment across the country. It had the effect of raising the Locations Incentive to around 30 percent.

But a change in government last in September appears to have led to doubts that the new conservative government would honor the previous government’s commitment to Disney.

Now its emerged that Disney has asked for that $21.6 million to be increased to 30 percent of the films budget, and union the Media Entertainment and Arts Alliance (MEAA) has backed Disney’s call for the the government to increase the incentive. MEAA said it is currently negotiating a labor agreement with Disney for wages and conditions for crew who will work on 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea in early 2015.

In a statement MEAA said it “understands the Federal Government has agreed to allow the additional funding incentive originally reserved for 20,000 Leagues to be reallocated to this new production, however the studio has asked for a funding top-up to 30% of the budget”.

In an open letter to federal arts Minister George Brandis, MEAA director Malcom Tulloch said the union support Disney’s request and pressed the case for a permanent increase to the location offset. The current location offset is set at 16.5% but the previous government had offered several films a higher incentive on a case by case basis.

“As you would be aware the Location Offset plays an integral part in securing international feature films in a very competitive global market …. However the strong Australian dollar and increased competition between international jurisdictions has led to some of the lowest of offshore production on record. This is of serious concern,” Tulloch’s letter said.

“MEAA is aware that there have been a significant number of productions that have applied for a one off increase to the Location Offset to make productions viable. None of these productions have however come to fruition. As a result of uncertainty in this area Australia is now being overlooked by international feature film producers,” the letter continues.

“We would encourage the Federal Government and your department to work constructively with the film’s producers to ensure that this production is filmed in Australia. We would also encourage the Federal Government to consider increasing the Location Offset to 30% permanently and thus support in the long term the feature film Industry in this country,” Tulloch said.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...5-20000-725985
Old 09-15-14, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 755 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by The Hollywood Reporter
David Fincher Explains Why Disney's '20,000 Leagues' Remake Sank
4:49 PM PDT 9/15/2014 by Graeme McMillan

If you’ve ever wondered what sank David Fincher’s version of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, the director has finally opened up about the metaphorical torpedo responsible: the studio system.

Fincher first boarded the planned Disney project in early 2010, following the departure of original director McG. At one point thought to be a Brad Pitt vehicle, the project faltered when the actor passed and moved through a number of rumored replacements (including Daniel Craig and Channing Tatum before Fincher himself withdrew last year, choosing instead to make the movie version of Gillian Flynn's critically-acclaimed novel Gone Girl).

“It became very hard to appease the anxieties of Disney’s corporate culture with the list of names that allowed everyone to sleep at night,” he explained during an interview with British movie magazine Little White Lies (scanned and posted online at the BradPittOnline Tumblr). “I just wanted to make sure I had the skill-sets I could turn the movie over to. Not worrying about whether they’re big in Japan.”

He went on to say that “movies are different things to different people,” saying that, to him, “they’re a great touchstone to who we were and what [we were] on about at any given time.” That, he said, contrasts with the movie business as it exists today. “The movie business is paid for by Big Macs. By movies as product. Movie studios use that term ‘product’ all the time. Product? You mean you have a lot of stories? No, we have a lot of product.”

Elsewhere in the interview, Fincher touched on this theme while complaining about spoiler culture, calling it “the bane of our existence when we’re making movies.” Increasingly, he argued, “people have some bizarre idea that they need to see exactly what happens in the movie and the five best jokes [in a preview]. I love to see movies without knowing anything about them.”

Gone Girl, opens October 3. He'd prefer we didn't say anything else about it.
Old 09-20-14, 08:31 AM
Banned

Not surprised. Disney's work culture would not jive with his work ethic.
Old 09-20-14, 09:51 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

It became very hard to appease the anxieties of Disney’s corporate culture
Well after Mars Needs Moms, John Carter, and The Lone Ranger I can see why.
Old 09-17-15, 04:18 PM

Received 4,692 Likes on 3,179 Posts

It's my 50th birthday (ouch), and I just put the finishing touches on the script for my next film. A story I've wanted to retell since childhood. I promise this will be an epic and emotional adventure for all ages! An adventure very dear to my heart. Not abandoning the #xmen universe. Very excited about #xmenapocalypse and beyond. #julesverne #20000leaguesunderthesea #nemo

Old 09-17-15, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 755 Likes on 551 Posts

Please. God. no.
Old 09-17-15, 05:00 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Originally Posted by The Hollywood Reporter
David Fincher Explains Why Disney's '20,000 Leagues' Remake Sank
4:49 PM PDT 9/15/2014 by Graeme McMillan

...At one point thought to be a Brad Pitt vehicle, the project faltered when the actor passed...
Brad Pitt died in 2014?
Old 09-18-15, 06:16 AM
Banned

Hrmmmm. Never thought he'd be a fit for it. Not sure how I feel about him doing that story.