Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Dark Knight Discussion Thread Pt. 4

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Dark Knight Discussion Thread Pt. 4

Old 01-14-09, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: The Dark Knight Discussion Thread Pt. 4

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
AFAIK, the nominations are done by people within their field of expertise, but the entire academy votes on the nominated pictures.
Correct, except for Animated Features and Foreign Language Features, which are voted for by a multi-branch committee (which doesn't matter in the case of The Dark Knight). Everyone can nominate Best Picture as well, since there is no job specialty attributed to it.
Old 01-14-09, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 925 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Slumdog is best picture as far as I see. I'd love for TDK to get it cuz it's a very good film...but Slumdog was great. And in Slumdog getting Best Pic, Boyle would follow with Best Director. Though I think Nolan really deserves it, not that Boyle is a lesser director, look at the epic nature that it was. It was wonderfully controlled and executed with great precision. And seeing Nolan grow as filmmaker from Memento to TDK is wonderful.
I haven't seen Slumdog but based on previous works, Nolan has a far better resume than Boyle.
Old 01-14-09, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Sanjuro37
Because it's all self-congratulatory bullshit designed to reward an industry that averages 20 decent films a year out of 250 by letting them dress up in absurdly expensive clothing to fake some tears (or worse, actually cry) for being chosen by people who vote chiefly on name recognition.

I've got my DVR all set.
Old 01-19-09, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The number 5 comes up a bunch. Joker tells Batman he let 5 people die in interrogation. Gordon tells Batman Two Face killed 5 people. Neither of these are accurate. And a little more tenously, Joker tells Batman Dent is at 250 52nd Street.

So what's the deal? The best I've got is that this is Nolan's 5th movie if you don't count The Following. I'm a huge Batman fan and I've got no connection there to the #5.
Old 01-19-09, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Uh.... reaching a bit?
Old 01-19-09, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I haven't seen Slumdog but based on previous works, Nolan has a far better resume than Boyle.
The idea of the director of The Beach winning an Oscar makes me really, really upset.
Old 01-19-09, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
The idea of the director of The Beach winning an Oscar makes me really, really upset.
Right, because no Oscar-winning director has ever made a bad film before...
Old 01-19-09, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Wow. As for the post you were responding to about Nolan's growth from Memento to Dark Knight, I'd argue that his directing devolved... as Memento is in my opinion, his best work, and Dark Knight his worst.

As for Boyle, there is more art and directorial skill in any random 20 minutes of Trainspotting than in Nolan's entire oeuvre... I'd say the same for Sunshine.
Old 01-20-09, 01:00 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ok....now that I've watched TDK a 1000 times a thought just occurred to me. I almost think it'd be better if the civilians had turned the key for the bomb and therefore killing the prisoners. I don't know why..but I just thought that. I mean it gets so tense at that moment and nobody pulls it. It would've been better for Joker's whole plan and to see it succeed..but maybe I just it want to be grimmer than it already is. The Joker says that at the rate that people are losing their minds and such, it would've been a great way to give that proof of The Joker actually driving people to do things they would never do.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 01-20-09 at 01:06 AM.
Old 01-20-09, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lamphorn
As for Boyle, there is more art and directorial skill in any random 20 minutes of Trainspotting than in Nolan's entire oeuvre... I'd say the same for Sunshine.
And you would be the only person saying that.
Old 01-20-09, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
ok....now that I've watched TDK a 1000 times a thought just occurred to me. I almost think it'd be better if the civilians had turned the key for the bomb and therefore killing the prisoners. I don't know why..but I just thought that. I mean it gets so tense at that moment and nobody pulls it. It would've been better for Joker's whole plan and to see it succeed..but maybe I just it want to be grimmer than it already is. The Joker says that at the rate that people are losing their minds and such, it would've been a great way to give that proof of The Joker actually driving people to do things they would never do.
How would that have made the movie better or caused it to continue along the same story route it had already set up? It definitely would have made it darker and grimmer, but doing that would have ruined the whole point of the movie. The Joker already won in turning Harvey Dent into a killer, so there's the darkness you wanted. If the Joker had won in terms of the boat bombs, then Gotham City wouldn't really be worth saving anymore, in the eyes of Bruce Wayne/Batman. He was fighting for a city that needed help to break free from its criminal underbelly; he knew that the city needed more of a chance to keep from slipping down into a lawless society.
Old 01-20-09, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,051 Likes on 866 Posts

Other than Ledger, I'd guess that a BP nom is the only major possibility.
Old 01-20-09, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
And you would be the only person saying that.
Not by much. Nolan is a superb craftsman, one of the best in the industry, but he lacks Boyle's adventurous streak. Boyle might misfire occasionally, but the sheer energy he puts on the screen is more than worth it.

Another thing to consider is that when Boyle was Nolan's age, he had yet to make even Shallow Grave, much less all the wonderful stuff he's put out since Trainspotting. Nolan has a long time to develop, and he's off to a great, great start.
Old 01-20-09, 07:31 AM
Banned

ditto...I wonder what Nolan and Bale are going to do next. There may be the next Batman flick or something else. It's the something else that I want to see. Prestige was pretty good and surprised me, though Johanssen was really not needed in the role that she played...somewhat minor.
Old 01-20-09, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts

I think Boyle and Nolan are two of the best working directors right now

(Note: No that doesn't mean the two best, but yes, two of the best)

Boyle's failures seem to be due more to the scripts than anything, the movies are always completely watchable and inventive, even when they fall apart. This is the same for Nolan, who seems more focused on the story than the characters (Nolan movies have more plot crammed in them than just about any others, which I guess is an advantage to being a writer/director), even if it isn't a slam dunk it's still extremely interesting.
Old 01-20-09, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just do not see The Dark Knight ((It's not strong enough)) getting that nom for Best Picture.

If it does it has no chance of a win I rather TCCOBB or Milk win over Slumdog!
Old 01-20-09, 03:10 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't imagine anyone wanting Milk to win best picture. It was so bland.

As for Boyle/Nolan, they're two very different, very excellent directors. I think Nolan has been more consistent, but Boyle has taken more chances.
Old 01-20-09, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I can't imagine anyone wanting Milk to win best picture. It was so bland.

As for Boyle/Nolan, they're two very different, very excellent directors. I think Nolan has been more consistent, but Boyle has taken more chances.
But Penn was so dam good in it are you saying as whole the film was weak!ok maybe for being a bio-pic but there are alot of great perfomances in that film you call weak!
Old 01-20-09, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,295 Likes on 2,114 Posts

Why would a film with only the performances going for it win (or even be nominated) for Best Picture. Isn't that why there's a Best Actor/Supporting Actor category?
Old 01-20-09, 04:17 PM

Milk is more than deserving of a nomination on merit.
Old 01-20-09, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by cranberries fan
I just do not see The Dark Knight ((It's not strong enough)) getting that nom for Best Picture.

If it does it has no chance of a win I rather TCCOBB or Milk win over Slumdog!
I feel the exact opposite. I'd want to see Dark Knight or Slumdog win while Milk, Benjamin Button, or Gran Torino all good but not particularly great.
Old 01-20-09, 04:37 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 957 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by cleaver
The number 5 comes up a bunch. Joker tells Batman he let 5 people die in interrogation. Gordon tells Batman Two Face killed 5 people. Neither of these are accurate. And a little more tenously, Joker tells Batman Dent is at 250 52nd Street.

So what's the deal? The best I've got is that this is Nolan's 5th movie if you don't count The Following. I'm a huge Batman fan and I've got no connection there to the #5.
saw this again the other night and think the 5th is Dent himself and that Batman will take the credit for Dent's 4 (Ramierez, Wertz, Maroni, Maroni driver) and then Dent himself, thinking Two-Face, the alter-ego, now primary in thought, killed Dent for good or that Batman created Two-Face thus killing Dent when he pulled him from the building.
Old 01-20-09, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Dent didn't kill Ramirez, she win's the toss and he just hits her.
Old 01-20-09, 05:29 PM
Banned

We need someone interviewing the Nolan's to ask that question: Who exactly are the five?
Old 01-20-09, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 211 Posts

Nolan was asked who the 5 people were during the BD Live event, he replied that he would answer the question someday but not now.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.